• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Danj

Is there a list of the optional photo locations for episode 3 yet? There's a bunch of them that I didn't get, I want to go back in collectible mode and get them.

.Anema

Hey GAF!
Just played the episode 1 and I'm in love, I really enjoyed the chapter and the story. Now I will buy the season pass but I need an advice. Should I buy it on PS3 or PS4? Is there any noticeable differences? I still don't have a PS4 (I'm waiting for The Phantom Pain) and I can wait if the differences worth it.
Anyone?

Hey GAF!
Just played the episode 1 and I'm in love, I really enjoyed the chapter and the story. Now I will buy the season pass but I need an advice. Should I buy it on PS3 or PS4? Is there any noticeable differences? I still don't have a PS4 (I'm waiting for The Phantom Pain) and I can wait if the differences worth it.
Anyone?

Well, I haven't played any other version, but the PS4 version is a good looking game...

here's a comparison vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJaraC-ifkY#

Looking from my phone screen, the ps3 version is blurrier, but ither than that no huge differences.

Pilgrimzero

Giving a second chance to
take the gun and not doing so
scares me that soon
somewhat will get shot
and I won't be able to do anything about it.

Kiru

I kinda feel bad for
not finding that vortex club party guest list
, only knew about it after I finished the episode and it's just not worth it to replay the whole thing just for that alone... :/ I normally search like crazy in every new location...

I kinda feel bad for
, only knew about it after I finished the episode and it's just not worth it to replay the whole thing just for that alone... :/ I normally search like crazy in every new location...

I found the list, but didn't do anything to it. I think you were supposed to click it again after looking at it the first time, and I just continued on without thinking, and never bothered to return there.

Vylash

I kinda feel bad for

it's worth it just to hear what max says if you erase

Fret

Well, I haven't played any other version, but the PS4 version is a good looking game...

here's a comparison vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJaraC-ifkY#

Looking from my phone screen, the ps3 version is blurrier, but ither than that no huge differences.

dWEbeEj.png

schick85

Got around finishing the first episode the other night. This article perfectly sums up how I felt about the dialogue. It could use a little work considering how some of the lines had questionable translation. (Apparently it was written by aliens!) Otherwise, it was a unique experience all around. Just thought I point this out.

If you’ve seen The Room or Troll 2, or anything written by someone not fluent in the language they’re working in, you’ll be familiar with the phenomenon of “alien dialogue.” It’s unique to writers who understand what words mean, but don’t quite grasp how actual people string them together in conversation.* The result is at best dialogue that makes sense but sounds odd, and at worst, unintentional hilarity.

It’s a problem faced by Life Is Strange, a narrative adventure game whose first episode launched late last month. Developed by Dontnod, the Paris studio that made Remember Me, it’s a supernatural tale of friendship set in an all-American high school, so its characters don’t just have to speak like real people - they have to speak like real teens. And as the principal characters are female, they have to speak like real teen girls. For an all-male, all-French, all-adult writing team, that’s going to be a hard task, and it’s one Dontnod don’t quite accomplish.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/02/19/life-is-strange-game-review-a-human-story-written-by-aliens

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I can see how people could see the dialog as flawed but I see the humor in it and it makes me like the game more. If they nailed the dialog it would feel to me a little too self serious, like I was watching a CW teen drama.

Just finished Episode 3.

HO

LEE

SHIIIIIT

I'm sitting here stunned in my easy chair just contemplating my playthrough. I'm legitimately scared for what may happen in Episode 4, because
I changed the future. The old sub-plot with Rachel Amber + Kate Marsh's death all gone. The apocalypse is still happening, but still... what now?

Also,
I may have let Max and Chloe kiss like a million times, even though I'm pissed at her for both guilt-tripping me about the weed and blaming her father for her messed-up life.

Damn, certainly stepping things up.

The final few minutes of this episode felt like something straight out of Friday Night Lights. Music, tone, etc.

Finished up to Episode 3 now. My thoughts on the whole thing thus far:

Crazy ending. One the one hand I like that Chloe's dad is alive if the timeline stays altered because he's a bro. And even though Chloe gets paralyzed I can't help but wonder if she'd still rather have her dad. She seemed happy even though she was hurt, way happier than current Chloe. But on the other hand we have Vortex Club Max and worse, no Kate friendship. Fuck that. Kate is the best and I want to be her friend, game. You fix it so I get both. :p

Also, I'm the guy who didn't kiss Chloe. I'm actually guiding my Max towards Warren, who knows if it actually ends up that way or not. I saved Kate and Lisa, shot at Douchebag Drug Dealer (of course there was no ammo...), and tried to generally make friends with all the people I came across, even Victoria. I still think she might have a face turn later as you can see glimpses of the fact that she's not a complete moustache twirling villain.

I really love the music, and I greatly enjoy the story. Who knew Teenage Girl Simulator 2015 would be so fun.

More like
focusing the photograph

Watching streamers try and do it was infuriating, literally took one over 10 minutes

It took me a minute ot two... some other game used similar mechanism for lock picking, so I guessed what I was supposed to do.

Despera

Banned
More like
focusing the photograph

Watching streamers try and do it was infuriating, literally took one over 10 minutes
It was kinda broken for me though.

When I'd slightly pass the sweet spot I'd carefully try to fine tune the frequency by rotating the sticks back to that position, but nothing would happen even when I'm staring at a clear picture.

I found out that I had to "reset" the whole thing by rotating the sticks all the way around and back to the target position without overshooting it for this to work.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I got stuck getting past the principal too. It's deceptive because
one of the lamps is burned out and you can go into the janitor's room, so it gives you the illusion that you need to solve some sort of puzzle with the lamp nearest the principal, when you actually don't.
. After I figured out the solution I was actually a little irritated with that. I don't think it was designed very well since a lot of people get stuck on it.

I got stuck getting past the principal too. It's deceptive because
one of the lamps is burned out and you can go into the janitor's room, so it gives you the illusion that you need to solve some sort of puzzle with the lamp nearest the principal, when you actually don't.
. After I figured out the solution I was actually a little irritated with that. I don't think it was designed very well since a lot of people get stuck on it.

I think it just relied on you
remembering how to utilize your time-travel powers in that way.
I figured it out pretty quickly.

Fret

I didn't even think it was considered a puzzle or some sort of obstacle...

Yeah, its less of a fault with the game design and more a fault of the players forgetting that these type of gameplay elements 3 episodes in, which I guess can be attributed to the way the game is released

LiQuid!

Yeah, its less of a fault with the game design and more a fault of the players forgetting that these type of gameplay elements 3 episodes in, which I guess can be attributed to the way the game is released

I can't speak for players in general who are getting stuck, but in my particular case
I hadn't forgotten about that gameplay mechanic. The issue was that I was thrown off by red herrings which prevented me from thinking of the simplest solution.

Also, when you first run into the principal he's already in a state of alertness. There's no indication that you can rewind to him being in a state prior to that. It's essentially a non-puzzle but still requires you to make a leap of logic to solve it. It's definitely odd design in my opinion. It can't just be a coincidence that I see many people getting stuck there

Grisby

Shit. I just woke up and I'm still slowly realizing some shit about the EP3 ending. Crazy how some of it is
foreshadowed with Chloe parking in the handicap spot/handicap take money deal. Damn.
I am debating watching PewDiePie play this game on YouTube... but that seems a bad idea as his style is too grating for me.

I already watched the Geek Remix girls - which I grew to like after figuring them out. They seemed a bit hyper at the start, but the are actually a good watch and listen. They are happy to dig into mythology of the series.
Aw damn bro, you're banned. But thanks for the heads up about the geek girls, I really enjoyed watching their videos on LIS. Don't usually watch LP's but it was neat to get a different perspective, and they have some nice commentary/ideas.

statham

just finished it
WTF, WOW, can't wait for the next episode!

going to replay later to get all the photos, do we have a link yet with all the locations?

N30RYU

One question. There's only one ending in this chapter, right?

I thought of repeating the last part and didn't do "something"... but I guess won't mather that much

wouwie

Just finished Episode 3. The more episodes i play, the more issues i have with the quality of the dialogues and some of the characters and it bothered me most in this one. Maybe it's a matter of translation (Dontnod is a french company, iirc), maybe i'm expecting too much from a videogame or maybe this is actually how teenagers speak.

That being said, there's so much to enjoy and appreciate in Life is Strange and it's a breath of fresh air. If it continues to be this enjoyable in Episode 4 and 5, it's going to end up high in my GOTY list. I can't wait to play episode 4 and see where the story will go.

I feel like an extra mention must go to the presentation in this game: the beautiful paintery visuals with warm colors (
e.g. that whale scene looked so beautiful
), the awesome and fitting music, the background sound effects, the attention to detail in both visuals and sound/music, the camera angles,... Well done, Dontnod.

I assume episode 3 only has one ending?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Waiting for this is the hardest thing I've ever had to face in gaming. Never thought this would be the case. Thought I'd ending up hating the series when I first started it, but no, what a killer fucking series!

Alec

Just finished Episode 3. The more episodes i play, the more issues i have with the quality of the dialogues and some of the characters and it bothered me most in this one. Maybe it's a matter of translation (Dontnod is a french company, iirc), maybe i'm expecting too much from a videogame or maybe this is actually how teenagers speak.

That being said, there's so much to enjoy and appreciate in Life is Strange and it's a breath of fresh air. If it continues to be this enjoyable in Episode 4 and 5, it's going to end up high in my GOTY list. I can't wait to play episode 4 and see where the story will go.

I feel like an extra mention must go to the presentation in this game: the beautiful paintery visuals with warm colors (
e.g. that whale scene looked so beautiful
), the awesome and fitting music, the background sound effects, the attention to detail in both visuals and sound/music, the camera angles,... Well done, Dontnod.

I assume episode 3 only has one ending?
Teenagers talk that way. :(

I think that dontnod does a really good approximation of "teen speak" even if it's a bit too quirky. It's actually got a kind of Buffy the Vampire feel to it where I can see teens speaking like that even though I know most teens aren't going to be that clever.

I think Max's voice is especially strong. Chloe's is a little bit less even but she's got some of the best lines too.

A big part of the reason the occasionally-clunky dialogue works so well is because the voice actors are so strong, especially Max.

Her actress really sells some lines that would be awkward coming from a less talented actor.

Top Bottom