• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Humdinger

I'm a little annoyed by all the teen-speak and "witty" wordplay, but I accept it. It doesn't stop me from enjoying the game.

I love the atmosphere the game creates. It's very different than any other game I've played. The music, the visuals, and the art style all combine to form a very relaxing, nostalgic tone. I sit there sometimes and just listen to the music, and it takes me right into the game's world.

I'm seeing more choice & consequence in this game than in the Telltale franchises. Ramifications of earlier episodes keep showing up.

I'm impressed by what they're doing with the time mechanic. At first it was relatively simple, but now it's getting more intricate and complex.

The eclipse is kind of bothersome. Are they saying whatever is happening somehow is affecting the alignment of the Earth, moon, and/or sun? They refer to it as a "weather event" on the news, but of course an eclipse isn't a weather event; it's a celestial event.

I liked the way they echoed the
handicapped
theme in Episode 3. That's some smart writing.

I enjoy playing the game in episodes. With some episodic games, I like waiting for the whole series to release before starting in, but with LiS, I like playing them one at a time. Part of that is, I am enjoying the series and I want to stretch out and savor the experience. Another part is, they do a good job of ending the episodes on cliffhangers. A cliffhanger doesn't "leave you hanging" if you just jump right into to the next episode.

Malduke

Neo Member
I really enjoyed playing Episode 3. I'm really liking the different choices.

How does
Frank gets David's gun
in Episode 3?

It's based on an episode 2 decision:

If you choose not to shoot Frank in episode 2 then he'll take the gun from Max. You can then find the gun again in the RV in episode 3 and choose to leave it there or return it to Chloe.

Keihart

wow that ending of episode 3 was straight out of the Butterfly effect, i was hoping for something more mind bending like rachel is max from another time or something weird.
Even jumping through time with photos and the buttlerflies, i almost throw the controller in the air, it was truly a tableflip moment

Also, thanks Dontnod for letting me tell Chloe to grow up.

Wasn't much of a fan of episode 3, felt the story was just filler to get to the cliffhanger at the end.

I knew something was off
about the old photo when it was actual character models rather than the usual artwork

Wasn't much of a fan of episode 3, felt the story was just filler to get to the cliffhanger at the end.

I knew something was off
about the old photo when it was actual character models rather than the usual artwork

The "filler" is my favorite part. Just the characters hanging out, talking, the game has great character writing and a wonderful atmosphere.

Fret

The "filler" is my favorite part. Just the characters hanging out, talking, the game has great character writing and a wonderful atmosphere.

Yeah, I'd probably describe the majority of Episode 1 and 2 being filler, doesn't make it less interesting or engaging

Just a different way of telling a story

Yeah, I'd probably describe the majority of Episode 1 and 2 being filler, doesn't make it less interesting or engaging

It's not even filler to me. It's the actual meat of the game right there. True filler would be pointless padding to make something longer than it needs to be, which hasn't really fit any parts of the game so far.

carlsojo

Yeah to me this isn't your typical game or story even where you're trying to get to the end as fast as possible. You're supposed to explore, look at shit, talk to people, experiement with your powers. There are a lot of small missable details.

Musolf815

Teenagers talk that way. :(

I think that dontnod does a really good approximation of "teen speak" even if it's a bit too quirky. It's actually got a kind of Buffy the Vampire feel to it where I can see teens speaking like that even though I know most teens aren't going to be that clever.

I think Max's voice is especially strong. Chloe's is a little bit less even but she's got some of the best lines too.

Yeah when I first played I thought that I hadn't heard anyone talk like them, then afterwards noticed a bunch of my friends/acquaintances talked exactly like them, hella and all.

To think that up until a few days ago, I've never so much looked at the title of this game and now it's seriously becoming my GOTY!

The atmosphere is amazing, the art is gorgeous, the characters are complex enough and overall the concept of time traveling is just fascinating as ever.

In my playthru the story is more dramatic than you guys, it's because (Spoiler épisode 2)
Kate died, it was not intentional, but I choose not to reload my save, what's done is done and I find it so much better. Max is struggling with guilt and the fact that her power can be useless, the reset of the cast are trying to redeem themselves because watching someone die can honestly give you a perspective about life that you didn't consider before

Spoiler episode 3 :
Holy molly! That ending was fantastic, first of all I didn't expect for Max to go back so far in time and once I saved William, I thought that Joyce was the one who died and I was super curious to see how Chloé handle it! Needless to say that one the camera's angle changed, I was kinda shocked. We get so used to the rebellious crazy Chloé that it's unsettling to see her become disabled because of the choice we made.

However, I don't know if she is happier in this time line or not, ultimately, I really do hope that Max will ask for her opinion about the matter.

I honestly can't wait for the next episode! We are expecting so much from this game, I'm kinda worried the plot will go full LOST on us. Please please, be good LIS EP4!

Incredible episode. The ending really blew me away, can't wait to see what direction the story takes next and how they intend to tie everything together...only two episodes left.

Only one complaint, after the events of episode, Kate didn't feature as much I would have liked. In some ways, it reminded me of how Telltales handle big story moments involving certain character, but it's still early days, let's see what they have planned for the next two episodes.

Keihart

I'm really liking the game but, i'm surprised at all the gaffers metioning suprise at the ending of episode 3, did seriously no one saw the butterfly effect? the ending was completly taken of that movie,
how she travels, the type of consecuenses and so on.

If you haven't seen that movie and were impresed by episode 3 , i recomend watching it, the sequel it's garbage tho , be warned.

To think that up until a few days ago, I've never so much looked at the title of this game and now it's seriously becoming my GOTY!

The atmosphere is amazing, the art is gorgeous, the characters are complex enough and overall the concept of time traveling is just fascinating as ever.

In my playthru the story is more dramatic than you guys, it's because (Spoiler épisode 2)
Kate died, it was not intentional, but I choose not to reload my save, what's done is done and I find it so much better. Max is struggling with guilt and the fact that her power can be useless, the reset of the cast are trying to redeem themselves because watching someone die can honestly give you a perspective about life that you didn't consider before

Spoiler episode 3 :
Holy molly! That ending was fantastic, first of all I didn't expect for Max to go back so far in time and once I saved William, I thought that Joyce was the one who died and I was super curious to see how Chloé handle it! Needless to say that one the camera's angle changed, I was kinda shocked. We get so used to the rebellious crazy Chloé that it's unsettling to see her become disabled because of the choice we made.

However, I don't know if she is happier in this time line or not, ultimately, I really do hope that Max will ask for her opinion about the matter.

I honestly can't wait for the next episode! We are expecting so much from this game, I'm kinda worried the plot will go full LOST on us. Please please, be good LIS EP4!

I am right there with you with having a more dramatic story
because Kate also died in mine, and I blamed Jefferson for it. Truly we live in the darkest timeline, because no one is happy with Max.

I'm really liking the game but, i'm surprised at all the gaffers metioning suprise at the ending of episode 3, did seriously no one saw the butterfly effect? the ending was completly taken of that movie,
how she travels, the type of consecuenses and so on.

If you haven't seen that movie and were impresed by episode 3 , i recomend watching it, the sequel it's garbage tho , be warned.

The movie is hardy where the idea comes from, it's a common scifi theme. But it was executed brilliantly.

Keihart

The movie is hardy where the idea comes from, it's a common scifi theme. But it was executed brilliantly.

traveling to the past by looking at a picture to correct an error and then finding someone close in a weelchair, i was referring to how close the situations are, like uncanny close, like if you saw that movie you pretty much knew what was going to happen.

I hope they don't continue so close to the movie, that ending was way to similar for me, i wanna believe it was just to play homage to it, you can even draw a butterfly on the side of the chimney.

because Kate also died in mine, and I blamed Jefferson for it. Truly we live in the darkest timeline, because no one is happy with Max.

It is, isn't it
(even tho I blamed Nathan IIRC)
? I truly believe that everyone who complain about the characters not being deep enough and/or annoying, should really consider this time line, it's so much better than theirs IMO.

carlsojo

I'd really like to learn more about Nathan in Episode 4. In Episode 3
it's suggested he has a LOT of psychological problems based on the meds you find in his locker and the file David has on him.

traveling to the past by looking at a picture to correct an error and then finding someone close in a weelchair, i was referring to how close the situations are, like uncanny close, like if you saw that movie you pretty much knew what was going to happen.

I hope they don't continue so close to the movie, that ending was way to similar for me, i wanna believe it was just to play homage to it, you can even draw a butterfly on the side of the chimney.

Hmm... the episode was named Chaos Theory, and butterfly effect is a common term used when describing the implications, so seeing butterfly graffiti may just be a reference to that. And wheelchair is an easy way to quickly establish that something is wrong with the character. But you may be right, it may be a reference to the movie also. I personally didn't think the movie was that great, but it's been a while since I saw it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I finished the ep3 and what a final!!! episode by episode i love the game more and more and more and more.

We need more games like this.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Waiting for a new episode of this or Dreamfall to come out and I'm dying.

Wikzo

Just finished Episode 3. The more episodes i play, the more issues i have with the quality of the dialogues and some of the characters and it bothered me most in this one. Maybe it's a matter of translation (Dontnod is a french company, iirc), maybe i'm expecting too much from a videogame or maybe this is actually how teenagers speak.

I assume episode 3 only has one ending?
They have teamed up with American writers, as far as I understand.

Thinking about it more I think my issue is there was so much of a focus on the Chloe side of things this time around. I felt the other episodes did a much better job weaving interactions with the rest of the cast throughout the chapter. Felt as if most of the characters were on hold while this episode played out.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'd really like them to patch in an option to turn off the chromatic effect, spoils the experience a bit.

I just picked up the game on PC after watching let's play videos so I could try it out in 4K. That chromatic aberration effect is so strong, lol, really kills the point of 4K. I found out where to disable the chromatic aberration on PC. (looks like it hasn't been posted yet)

Start with the game closed. (it'll overwrite your changes when it closes otherwise)

On Windows 7:
Documents\My Games\Life Is Strange\LifeIsStrangeGame\Config\
LifeIsStrangeEngine.ini

Find the line:
bDNEAllowChromaticAberration=True
change to
bDNEAllowChromaticAberration=False

Save the file and start up the game. That should be it.

I also disabled the DOF and LensWhacking (tilt shift-ish) settings on the lines above it, although some people might like those.

Zero_IYAD

@___@

tumblr_nl1v96jQ3c1rzejg4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nl1v96jQ3c1rzejg4o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nngg1gbNam1s0ifa5o1_1280.jpg

Does anyone remember how was this game first announced? was it ever shown at a conference or something? the earliest I remember was watching a trailer for it poping in the official PlayStation Youtube channel.

Does anyone remember how was this game first announced? was it ever shown at a conference or something? the earliest I remember was watching a trailer for it poping in the official PlayStation Youtube channel.

Square announced it in August and released a few screenshots, I don't know if there was any sort of event.

Should be a selfie using a Polaroid camera. Max wouldn't do it any other way.

As for the eclipse, it's interesting that supposedly the moon mostly covers the sun at dusk, then magically is somehow a full moon later that night when Max goes on her Midnight ninja-ing with Chloe. Weird indeed.

Haven't completed episode 3 yet but wow absolutely loved what I played so far. This episode seems to be full of atmosphere. I was sat in bed last night as I couldn't sleep and I had the episode on my ps4 so I just remote played it on my vita with some headphones in (btw it works really well on vita). And it blew me away how amazing Blackwell is at night. Especially the
pool scene. I also liked the Chaos Theory tag line for this episode too as what I have played so far reminded me of Splinter Cell haha. Like lockpicking into the principals office and hiding from the security guys in the pool.

Loakum

Banned
......I'm speechless on how good..fuck that, how amazing this story is! I just finished episode #3 "Chaos Theory"...and Holy Shit! This is one of those game folks GOT to play! Especially if they love thought provoking storytelling, that really makes you think! This has been an amazing year for gaming!

Grisby

Episode 3 spoilers below y'all.
If only Max
would have put on a fake cloth goatee at the end of the episode.
However, I don't know if she is happier in this time line or not, ultimately, I really do hope that Max will ask for her opinion about the matter.[/SPOILER]
See, I feel like
that smile when she's in the wheelchair is the first genuine smile that we've gotten from Chloe. Or the widest anyway.

Manu

Nice to see some non-spoilery impressions in this thread.

I'm gonna be playing Ep 3 tonight. Somehow I've managed to avoid spoilers for the most part.

Top Bottom