• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Mononoke

Banned
I can understand why people are talking about a season 2 in passing, while talking about how much they love the game. They just don't want it to end. I know my posts come off as hyperbole, but I truly mean it when I say this is one of the most incredible experiences I've ever had in gaming. Maybe even film. I know it's flawed. But just everything comes together in a way that has really moved me. I think these Devs deserve massive credit for their ability to frame scenes and as well general scene setting. And of course, I just love the world and the characters that are in it. The writing isn't perfect at times, but my god did they nail the world/characters.

All this said, I don't know how I feel about a second season. For the most part, I like little nice packages. I like things kept short. From a narrative point of view, I think the longer a story goes on (especially one with a central mystery), the more likely it will fall apart. So in my head I always envisioned Life Is Strange as this single season thing. Each chapter can be 3 hours + So a 15 hour movie, or a single season of a mini series.

But now that I'm seeing the story unravel, I guess it could easily go into a second season. The time jump stuff could go to crazy places
as we saw at the end of episode 3
. So the plot could go on. My concern though, is that the mystery plot (of girls going missing, and all the stuff with Nathan and the club), as well as Rachel's plot, I feel like those are things that have to get resolved this season? Or what I mean is, I wonder if from a narrative perspective, in order for it to work, they need to be finished out in the next two episodes as opposed to being left to a future season.

I guess the whole "tornado will come by Friday" also kind of made the game feel finite. Like it has its own limit set and the plot is hurdling towards it. But that could easily be fixed because she can keep rewinding time.

So all that said, I don't know. I have to hope that the Devs know how much time is needed to properly tell the Rachel Ambers mystery/ as well as wrap up the time travel plot. If they need more time, they need more time. I would embrace a Season 2 then. But if they drag it out just to get a season 2, that would be a huge disservice to this wonderful story. And I think a lot of people will be pissed if the Rachel Plot doesn't get resolved by the end of season 1. Especially if they feel it could have been.

Vylash

Basically how I was when I saw that option pop up. I have never pressed a mouse button so hard in my life. When
she kissed her
I melted in my chair. Giddy for days I was.

#TeamChloe

same, really hoping they let
max and chloe be together

Opto

Banned
I just bought the season pass this weekend and I gotta say, this game gave me such feelings.

Ep 3:
Jesus fuck, that ending. I had a bad feeling about the new timeline photo of Chloe with those car keys. And now we have a horrible ethical dilemma I've never see in a game before

Mononoke

Banned
So this is an old news article, and I'm sure it's been discussed already, but I had not heard of it until just now when it popped up on my trending twitter feed...

It refers to the lip syncing issue, and a DONTNOD dev casually mentioned it may be fixed for season 2.

Are we really going to get a season 2? That would make me soooooooooo happy.

Aaaah. I just hope things are wrapped up well, and it's a nice transition, if they really need a season 2 to tell the whole story. I'll have to have faith that the writers know the amount of time they need to flesh the story out.

But I just hope this season ends in a satisfactory way (with conclusions and resolution) so that season 1 on its own, doesn't have a bad ending.

_woLf

Aaaah. I just hope things are wrapped up well, and it's a nice transition, if they really need a season 2 to tell the whole story. I'll have to have faith that the writers know the amount of time they need to flesh the story out.

But I just hope this season ends in a satisfactory way (with conclusions and resolution) so that season 1 on its own, doesn't have a bad ending.

I agree. I kinda wonder if they'll keep character arcs completely separate and just use the brand as a way to hop between different characters/regions. I think that'd be a good way to go to a different "season"

Although "indie" in style and presentation, the drama and story-telling of this game puts many AAA games to shame (I am looking at you COD, AC, Watch_Dogs, etc).

It is disappointing to see that this game isn't getting the attention it deserves from the gaming community/press. The plot twists of Episode 2/3 are just unbelievable and leave an emotional scar far after the episode is done.

Even TellTale could learn a thing or two from this amazing turnaround by Dontnod after Remember Me.

1 month is still too long to wait for Episode 4...

Potential GOTY candidate ATM

I just bought the season pass this weekend and I gotta say, this game gave me such feelings.

Ep 3:
Jesus fuck, that ending. I had a bad feeling about the new timeline photo of Chloe with those car keys. And now we have a horrible ethical dilemma I've never see in a game before

Not since Steins:Gate has the protagonist been faced with a greater moral/ethical decision in his/her life
(Note: Anime fans will know what I am talking about)

Mononoke

Banned
Although "indie" in style and presentation, the drama and story-telling of this game puts many AAA games to shame (I am looking at you COD, AC, Watch_Dogs, etc).

It is disappointing to see that this game isn't getting the attention it deserves from the gaming community/press. The plot twists of Episode 2/3 are just unbelievable and leave an emotional scar far after the episode is done.

Even TellTale could learn a thing or two from this amazing turnaround by Dontnod after Remember Me.

1 month is still too long to wait for Episode 4...

Potential GOTY candidate ATM

It's one of the best games to date In terms of cinematic scene framing/setting. Some moments are really gorgeous and have a lot impact because of the camera angles/lighting/music/atmosphere.

I think atmosphere is key. But you are right. This game puts most AAA games to shame in terms of story presentation/production. And considering it does all of this on such a tight budget. I'm not surprised given how breathtaking Remember Me was in certain spots (atmosphere and world building in that game was incredible).

These Devs are seriously talented. It makes me wish their games were more successful.

I don't ever like to comment on reviews and how a game is perceived. Especially since it's subjective. But I too was a little disheartened to see this game get certain reviews, when I think it deserves better. But that's the problem with games that are heavily story centric. I mean if a game is more an interactive story, then a reviews score will largely rest on how the critic likes the story or not. And as much as I have nothing but praise for this game, I can see how for some, certain dialogue moments aren't as strong, and the melodrama and Indie aesthetic might rub them the wrong way. These are all of course, the things that make this magical for me. But that's my point. Story is so subjective, and it's not the gsmeplay aspects are enough to pull high review scores on that alone.

It's one of the best games to date In terms of cinematic scene framing/setting. Some moments are really gorgeous and have a lot impact because of the camera angles/lighting/music/atmosphere.

I think atmosphere is key. But you are right. This game puts most AAA games to shame in terms of story presentation/production. And considering it does all of this on such a tight budget. I'm not surprised given how breathtaking Remember Me was in certain spots (atmosphere and world building in that game was incredible).

These Devs are seriously talented. It makes me wish their games were more successful.

I don't ever like to comment on reviews and how a game is perceived. Especially since it's subjective. But I too was a little disheartened to see this game get certain reviews, when I think it deserves better. But that's the problem with games that are heavily story centric. I mean if a game is more an interactive story, then a reviews score will largely rest on how the critic likes the story or not. And as much as I have nothing but praise for this game, I can see how for some, certain dialogue moments aren't as strong, and the melodrama and Indie aesthetic might rub them the wrong way. These are all of course, the things that make this magical for me. But that's my point. Story is so subjective, and it's not the gsmeplay aspects are enough to pull high review scores on that alone.

I completely agree. With how cutthroat and expensive game development is in today's world, I fear that these talented devs, with this amazing hit, might not survive (in the long run) and this amazing game might be lost to the history books.

I really want this game to be one of those dark horse GOTY contenders this year, it would be thoroughly deserved if it at least makes it to some of the prominent publications and put Dontnod back on people's radar as serious game developer. At the moment, to me, it seems like they are perceived as AA/middle tier game developer.

Mononoke

Banned
I completely agree. With how cutthroat and expensive game development is in today's world, I fear that these talented devs, with this amazing hit, might not survive (in the long run) and this amazing game might be lost to the history books.

I really want this game to be one of those dark horse GOTY contenders this year, it would be thoroughly deserved if it at least makes it to some of the prominent publications and put Dontnod back on people's radar as serious game developer. At the moment, to me, it seems like they are perceived as AA/middle tier game developer.

Oh well. At least it's impacting us right? At least it's moving us and making us feel so many things. I think it's incredible how much some of us love this game and feel moved by it. I feel so lucky to get to be apart of a thread like this where people can come together and share their experiences.

I do wish more people felt this way. Because it would mean these talented Devs finally getting the acknowledgment they deserve, as well as more backing for future projects. I would kill to see what they could do with a proper budget and support. Plus they desrve success.

Oh well. At least it's impacting us right? At least it's moving us and making us feel so many things. I think it's incredible how much some of us love this game and feel moved by it. I feel so lucky to get to be apart of a thread like this where people can come together and share their experiences.

I do wish more people felt this way. Because it would mean these talented Devs finally getting the acknowledgment they deserve, as well as more backing for future projects. I would kill to see what they could do with a proper budget and support. Plus they desrve success.

Was an eager fan of the concept behind Remember Me, and with this latest game, DontNod is back on my radar.

Like with Mass Effect 1, which I have played through at least 5-6 already, this game join will join that distinguished list of games that I have replayed over and over again (not many are in that list).

I reckon if Dontnod do end up getting a greenlight on Season 2, they'll do a different anthology to it somehow, similar to American Horror Story or True Detective. Different cast, different setting, etc.

That said, I haven't fully figured out how the time travel mechanic would fit into it, if that would be included (which it more or less could be considering it's the main crux of Season 1).

Guerrilla

I reckon if Dontnod do end up getting a greenlight on Season 2, they'll do a different anthology to it somehow, similar to American Horror Story or True Detective. Different cast, different setting, etc.

That said, I haven't fully figured out how the time travel mechanic would fit into it, if that would be included (which it more or less could be considering it's the main crux of Season 1).

Do we have any sales figures? It would be souch a shame if dontnod wouldn't be able to make another one of these kind of games. They need to become a telltale like entity, it seems they really found their sweet spot as a dev. with story drive episodic adventure games. I can totally see them tackleing more/different storylines in the same style...

Do we have any sales figures? It would be souch a shame if dontnod wouldn't be able to make another one of these kind of games. They need to become a telltale like entity, it seems they really found their sweet spot as a dev. with story drive episodic adventure games. I can totally see them tackleing more/different storylines in the same style...
I don't think there are any sales numbers for the console version but SteamSpy says that there are 305,454 ± 15,022 people on steam who own the game, this number also includes people who only own the first episode but it's still pretty good.

wrowa

Steamspy estimates 300,000 owners (so, people who have at least bought episode 1) and 85,000 people who played the game in the last 14 days (so, the people who played episode 3 during the first week of release aren't included in that number). All numbers are for PC/Steam, obviously.

So, I'd say that numbers seem to be pretty good.

neonxaos

Banned
Wow, Episode 3 was absolutely phenomenal. I liked the game from the start, but man, did they step it up. This is turning out to be quite a revelation for subtle storytelling in games.

Guerrilla

I don't think there are any sales numbers for the console version but SteamSpy says that there are 305,454 ± 15,022 people on steam who own the game, this number also includes people who only own the first episode but it's still pretty good.

Steamspy estimates 300,000 owners (so, people who have at least bought episode 1) and 85,000 people who played the game in the last 14 days (so, the people who played episode 3 during the first week of release aren't included in that number). All numbers are for PC/Steam, obviously.

So, I'd say that numbers seem to be pretty good.

Awesome, I guess console sales should be decent as well for this. Breaking 1 million sales should be totally doable, and totally profitable due to the scope of the game.

Man, this game. I haven't been hooked on episodic games thus far but something about this story and setting just sucked me in. It's kind of obvious that Max's powers are affecting the larger world somehow and it's foreshadowing that Max herself is responsible for the tornado. I just hope that they don't pull a Donnie Darko at the end with Max (maybe another bit of foreshadowing - there's a drawing of what looks like Frank on Max's notepad at the beginning of the game). I doubt the game would get that dark but who knows.

I just finished ep 3, and I'm going back in a new save from Ep 1 and making most of the opposite major choices (except
Siding with David over Chloe
after the swimming pool, it would just seem out of character for Max in the game to do that).

Morts

I can't understand how anyone could like Chloe. After she threw a fit because I answered my phone I knew Max had outgrown her.

Sulik2

When Max was wearing Rachel's clothes I was thinking, what if Max ends up going back in time and taking her identity or becoming her now.

How many of you bastards
threw the dog bone in the street?

I hate dogs with a passion and I am not that much of a monster.
I figured Frank would stab me if I killed his dog so I let it live. Otherwise, one more good dead dog.

Eklesp

I hate dogs with a passion and I am not that much of a monster.
I figured Frank would stab me if I killed his dog so I let it live. Otherwise, one more good dead dog.

v2nVN3C.jpg

I can't understand how anyone could like Chloe. After she threw a fit because I answered my phone I knew Max had outgrown her.

Max obviously still likes her, and Chloe is just confused and vunerable, thats why
she hooked with Frank in the first place, got onto the weed, and is so concerned with finding Rachel

Top Bottom