• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

Sulik2

If I go back to episode one to make a minor change will it erase my progress in episode two and three?

Not sure, but my rule in these games. Live with your choices. Replay the whole thing after the whole season is out if you want to do something different.

chadskin

Good stuff by Eurogamer:
Here's something that a few of us have been threatening for some time - a podcast about Life is Strange, Dontnod's episodic adventure game that keeps on getting better and better.

Why are we doing this? For sure, Life is Strange is not perfect - its writing can sometimes grate, its characters can sometimes annoy, it has some minor technical issues.

But - more importantly - its characters are human, flawed and rounded. Its world is filled with life and detail, and its story drops enough hints and red herrings to inspire hours of debate.

So debate we have, first on email chains and over IMs, and now here. If you're already along for the Life is Strange ride, hopefully you enjoy our natter about the series so far and our thoughts on where future episodes may lead. If you're not up to speed then beware: spoilers abound!

A little confusingly, this is episode one of the podcast but we discuss everything up to the end of the most recent (third) episode, Chaos Theory.

Aoife also managed to chat with some of Dontnod's creative brains for some behind the scenes insight. So there's that, as well as waffling from Aoife herself, Johnny, Chris Donlan and myself.

Podcast: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-09-arcadia-baes-a-life-is-strange-spoilercast

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, I knew this game would make cry a bit, but I expected that by the end of episode 5, not the middle of the freaking season.

God fucking dammit. One of the best experiences ever. Shit. That was an emotional rollercoaster.

ScottbSE

Neo Member
Hello,
I am collecting community questions for an upcoming Life is Strange live show we are doing with Dontnod Entertainment.
We will be selecting a few questions to be answered by the devs. What would you like to ask about Life is Strange? Post your question below!

Zareka

Hello,
I am collecting community questions for an upcoming Life is Strange live show we are doing with Dontnod Entertainment.
We will be selecting a few questions to be answered by the devs. What would you like to ask about Life is Strange? Post your question below!

WHEN'S EPISODE 4

Hello,
Where do the team draw their inspiration? It's like they looked inside my head and pulled out all the little thoughts and dreams of all the wonderful media I've consumed in the last 25 years, and made an incredibly atmospheric game out of it.

Hello,

How do you deal with the challenge of writing teenage dialogue and characters when you're all adults? What dangers are you worried about and what do you think you've done well so far? (This might be more of a post-mortem question but I'd love to hear some discussion regardless!)

Hello,

Are there plans to continue into a second season or a successor of any kind, or is it a one-off?

Mononoke

Banned
Hello,

Sorry if the questions are bad, best I could come up with right now. TBH, kind of nervous. Life Is Strange is one of the best games I've ever played in recent years. So I am super excited about this live show, and even getting to possibly have a question read. Will it be streamed?

Q1: Life is strange has very cinematic moments, especially the opening and ending portions of each episode. Apart of that is the atmosphere, and the music that is used. Is various music tried out before deciding which one fits the scene just right? Is there a song in mind while the scene is being written, or is that something that happens much later?

Q2: This game has some of the most beautiful/impacting cinematic scenes I've ever seen in this medium. A large part of this is the use of unique camera angles for setting scenes. Has film been a major influence for this game from a directorial perspective? How much time and thought is put into the angles used in each scene?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Mononoke, your avatar lied to me, there isn't a single time where Max wears glasses!

Hello,

It seems like the gameplay has evolved throughout of the development of the episodes, however minimal, it has maintained my interest on the game quite high since I don't know what to expect for the next episodes, did you have this thought out from the get go, when developing the road map for the season?

It also appears you learned from your previous games, like Remember Me, which was shown in the latest episode quite clearly, what would you say you have learned from the development of Life is Strange?

Thanks for collecting our questions!

cormack12

Gold Member
Hello,

1. Has the response to LiS by fans and critics exceeded expectations?
2. What are the unique challenges when developing an adaptive, multi-threaded storyline compared to a linear experience? How far down each branch do you decide to go?
3. Which character do you find most difficult to write?
4. If you had Max's power over time, and used it to claw back development hours, what one thing would you focus on to improve?
5. Have you considered making an official LiS soundtrack and selling it? There's a lot of demand for it........

Hello,

Well first off I have to say this has been one of my favorite gaming experiences to date.

1. I need/want/require/desire/would like LiS clothing/items.

2. While have read that this will be a self-contained story, if there is to be a season two. Would you try to have a) same universe of characters or b) a similar theme of nostalgia, grief/loss and friendship?

3. You mentioned that releasing the game in episodic fashion allowed you to make changes as the episodes were made. What were some od the that you added/removed/change as a result of feedback?

4. Episode 3 minor spoilers
You do know you're jerks for making overwatering my plant easily possible :(

5. Any other news for a possible Remember Me 2 or news about Vampyr?

Ants

Hello,

Are there any stand-out stories involving the manipulation of time that the team hasn't given a shoutout in-game? Obviously you guys made mention of big ones like The Time Machine, but are there any personal favorites?

Telltale games says they try and aim for choices with as close to a 50/50 split as possible. Does your team have a similar philosophy? Which choice so far went the most differently from how you predicted it would?

Other than that, I just want to say I'm very impressed with the scale and ambition of the game. Especially following episode 3, I am baffled as to how you will maintain a hold on its impact, and excited to see where it goes.

Mononoke

Banned
Mononoke, your avatar lied to me, there isn't a single time where Max wears glasses!

Hehe.

It's supposed to be a joke. People are always calling Max a hipster, so I put Hipster glasses on her. Max wearing Flanel only made it more perfect. I even called the picture file HIPSTERMAX.png lol

I made a handful of avatars I could post sometime if you want to see. It's all silly and in good fun. I love this game so much and I love the Max character. :D

chadskin

Hello,

Are more subtitles languages (German, Spanish) going to be added at some point after the season is over?

A friend would love to play it but his English (and French) is hella bad. :)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hehe.

It's supposed to be a joke. People are always calling Max a hipster, so I put Hipster glasses on her. Max wearing Flanel only made it more perfect. I even called the picture file HIPSTERMAX.png lol

I made a handful of avatars I could post sometime if you want to see. It's all silly and in good fun. I love this game so much and I love the Max character. :D

Ha, they look great on her. Wouldn't mind seeing the other avatars, even if I won't change mine.

Hehe.

Please show them off, I'd love to see them :)

I finally played through Episode 3 after finally finishing with The Witcher 3. Wow. I really like where this game is going.

It's a bit weird, because I always get lazy and have to motivate myself to play it when the new episode drops, but when I do start it, I enjoy every minute of it.

carlsojo

Hello,

Will there be a definitive "end" to the season? What I mean is: will all of the various threads be tied up by the end of episode 5?

Will we get to meet Nathan's parents or at least his father?

LUXURY

Hello,

What were the ultimate inspirations for the games world and story?

Xiraiya

Hello,

There has been some discussion and debate among fans about the "quirkiness" of the dialogue in the game, particularly in regards to characters such as Chloe.
What I'm wondering is if that was the developers idea of how Teenagers actually speak or is it just an intentional decision to make some of those characters seem more entertaining and strange in general?

Zambatoh

There has been some discussion and debate among fans about the "quirkiness" of the dialogue in the game, particularly in regards to characters such as Chloe.
What I'm wondering is if that was the developers idea of how Teenagers actually speak or is it just an intentional decision to make some of those characters seem more entertaining and strange in general?

In my High School, teens did speak like this. I'd say the writers were pretty well informed.

WITHE1982

I finally played through Episode 3 after finally finishing with The Witcher 3. Wow. I really like where this game is going.

It's a bit weird, because I always get lazy and have to motivate myself to play it when the new episode drops, but when I do start it, I enjoy every minute of it.

Exactly the same here. I've had episode 3 since it launched but only played it 2 days ago and absolutely loved it. I'm starting to really consider this as a GOTY contender. Emotionally I've not played many games as intense and believable as LIS.

Also dat ending!! I was playing with my wife and
called it as soon as an image of Chloe with a car and keys was shown I said "dayum there's her in a car wreck then"
and low and behold I was right (or at least I think I am anyway).

With the inclusion of Max's new ability
to visit the past via photographs
the similarities to The Butterfly Effect are growing all the time. I wouldn't say the game is a straight up copy of the movie but a lot of aspects are definitely an homage to it.

Can't wait for episode 4 to drop now (so I can ignore it again then love it when I eventually do play it)

Edit: I'm also loving the
dead birds/whales
stuff. Really points to something truly ominous on the horizon.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm guessing the title of the next episode which is
Dark Room
means we'll probably be seeing Max
developing photos (as she has an instamatik) to go to particular or specific points in time.

Hello,
I doubt they'll share it, but I would like to know the platform breakdown/ sales breakdown so far for each episode, I get the feeling the game is doing well, but I could use some SalesAGE

Alright, my dumb take

two big forks in the road. Either theres a story road where Max leaves it as it is, where Chloe is disabled but her dad is alive, or she makes the choice to 'kill' chloe dad but save Chloe.

maxcriden

I just got a PS3 and am interested in checking out the game. I tend to prefer more all ages kinds of games, though. Can anyone link to a list or describe for me the various violent, sexual, or more R-rated kind of content? Thank you.

Manu

Hello,

Did the idea for Max's powers in Life is Strange evolve from the memory remix sequences in Remember Me, or is it just a coincidence?

Opto

Banned
Hello,

What kind of research went into making the settings and feeling of a private school? Did you interview a lot of high school kids?

also

Max and Chloe's queerness is teased but never explicitly confirmed. Is this to recreate a young person's understanding of their sexuality or are there other reasons you took this direction?

Opto

Banned
I just got a PS3 and am interested in checking out the game. I tend to prefer more all ages kinds of games, though. Can anyone link to a list or describe for me the various violent, sexual, or more R-rated kind of content? Thank you.
Spoiling just in case, no actual plot details
Mental illness is explored and the negative effects are not shyed away from.
Violence is shown, and while not graphic, it can be upsetting. There's not a lot of it though.
Characters are threatened and there's discussion of sexual assault, though not in explicit detail.
Lots of swearing, high school levels
No sex so far

Mononoke

Banned
Please show them off, I'd love to see them :)

Sorry for the late replies, I'll update my post in a second with them.

Keep in mind, I made these with a black background. Not sure how they look with the white GAF background.

2Q5wrRa.png

5xQ1MKZ.png

wjpAaO1.png

1uXokTV.png

410wD0L.png
(was thinking of using this one, but do you guys like the one I'm using now better?)

Grisby

Hello,
What lessons did the team apply to LIS after Remember Me?

Grisby

I'm guessing the title of the next episode which is
Dark Room
means we'll probably be seeing Max
developing photos (as she has an instamatik) to go to particular or specific points in time.
Wonder if Max
is the person who is keeping the red binders that we saw in episodes 1 and 2. Just information of people at where they're at during certain places and times.

Edit- Oh shit, double post. My bad.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Sorry for the late replies, I'll update my post in a second with them.

410wD0L.png
(was thinking of using this one, but do you guys like the one I'm using now better?)

PMTqPTm.png
(a different version of the one I'm using now)

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these or your current.

'course I change my avi the time, so my answer would be just to use them all.

EDIT:

Hello,

This has been asked already, but I want to expand upon it. The world of Life is Strange is vividly imagined and satisfyingly realized. Is your strategy to continue using these characters and locations beyond the season? Or do you have other worlds and characters you plan to work with next? Doing both would be welcomed by many of us, I am sure, but my real reason for the question is that I want to understand the intent, artistically. Are we looking at a new franchise, and was the world designed as such? Or is the vision for LiS to be a finite thing, with a clear beginning and end. The developer who is known for developing games that, structurally, are like LiS would be Telltale (though I believe your current output is eclipsing theirs handily), and they, by comparison, always seem to leave things open. The impression is that customers, not the writers, decide when those stories will end.

Cliffs: Is the world of LiS that of an open-ended serial, or that of a finite work, like a play or novella? I'm more interested in the perspective of the writers than I am in business considerations.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Hello,

Am I going to cry at the end of episode 5?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, hemo memo, we are all. And I'm gonna be depressed for all time.
410wD0L.png

PMTqPTm.png
(a different version of the one I'm using now)

Love them all! But your current avatar is definitely my favorite one.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Hello,

what's the official Max ship?

Please say Chloe!!!

Oh, and will Warren wise up and leave Max alone so Chloe can be with her? Many thanks!

Mononoke

Banned
You should keep your current one, that one looks perfect

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I really love my current one. I used to change my avatar all the time, but I've decided I want to keep my avatar the same. I want people to just get used to seeing this avatar with my posts and associate it with my name.

I put way too much thought into my Avatar, but decided on the current one I have. I think it's really cute, and Max is one of my favorite game characters. So I'm glad you guys really like it. Makes me feel I made the right choice. I'll probably try making more avatars pretty soon. W/ and without the hipster glasses lol. I'll just do them for fun. But I'm definitely keeping my avatar as is. Thanks again.

On a more important note, did we ever find out if that live show with the Q&A is going to be streamed?

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I really love my current one. I used to change my avatar all the time, but I've decided I want to keep my avatar the same. I want people to just get used to seeing this avatar with my posts and associate it with my name.

I put way too much thought into my Avatar, but decided on the current one I have. I think it's really cute, and Max is one of my favorite game characters. So I'm glad you guys really like it. Makes me feel I made the right choice. I'll probably try making more avatars pretty soon. W/ and without the hipster glasses lol. I'll just do them for fun. But I'm definitely keeping my avatar as is. Thanks again.

On a more important note, did we ever find out if that live show with the Q&A is going to be streamed?

I was just looking that up myself and saw on their tumblr page (via reddit) that it is being streamed on Thursday!

Also, I really do like your avatars!

Mononoke

Banned
I was just looking that up myself and saw on their tumblr page (via reddit) that it is being streamed on Thursday!

Also, I really do like your avatars!

Thanks a lot, appreciate the comment. More importantly, thanks for linking info about the live show! Holy crap!, it's being streamed! If one of my questions gets asked on there, I will pass out.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Mission accomplished, then! Already keeping an eye out for your posts, and Daria's posts too!

Top Bottom