• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

Falk

that puzzling face
Err... what? I went totally dark into this and I started playing it 3 weeks ago - what does it have to do with anything?

Sorry, I meant in general, especially going for speedruns and such. Not to overlook your accomplishment.

To clarify, the sword re-breaks itself in NG+ (and the armor reverts) so you'd need to do it again for the boosts in every NG+. It also doesn't really matter when people have farmed out past max stats even with limit break.

Last post on the page fail, eh...

Sorry, I meant in general, especially going for speedruns and such. Not to overlook your accomplishment.

To clarify, the sword re-breaks itself in NG+ (and the armor reverts) so you'd need to do it again for the boosts in every NG+. It also doesn't really matter when people have farmed out past max stats even with limit break.

No problem, Falk. I know my setup is "gimped" but hey it did its work done and I generally hate playing with a FAQ in hand and do as others are doing. And right now I will have to change something in my setup (maybe a better RAV?) because I cannot for the life of me stagger Aeronite.

The other option is to wait with him for Easy NG++.

Err... what? I went totally dark into this and I started playing it 3 weeks ago - what does it have to do with anything?

Anyway my specs that I used in the final Bhunivelze battle w/o the Ultimate Weapon (first playthrough, normal mode):

1st COM/2nd RAV - everything related to STR boost. Morgenstern and a shitty Shield that gives me +Strength cause I never block with this one (the Steelguard is there only for the +110 Strength). Aerora for Staggering.
img_3813aapgp.jpg

SEN/1st RAV: - worst thing is the plain white Thundara LVL2 that I have. I cannot believe I had found 100 Firas, 100 Blizzaras, 100 Aeroras and only one fucking Thundara 2 in the whole game. This is also my SEN setup as I have 107% Physical Resistance when Guarding.
img_38142xo37.jpg

SAB/2nd COM: - the default schema. Pretty old one but I could not find a decent replacement even though it only has Deprotect/ Deshell LVL2. The LVL3 versions did not seem any better to me and they cost more ATB to cast. Deprotect, Deshell, Imperil then switch to RAV. Heavy Slash for changing back and forth between my COM to, well, Heavy Slash enemies to death.
img_3815esrgt.jpg

Recovery Items:
img_3816goqt1.jpg

(only 1 Hi-Potion left after the battle)

Bonus pic of what you can do with same setup. I was hitting him for 120k damage with each Heavy Slash while Staggered, Deprotect, Imperil, Deshell etc. I was praying that I do not run out of Ethers and I didn't!
img_3817rqo0q.jpg

:)

Ereshkigal and Bhunivelze are totally manageable. That fucking Aeronite, though. I cannot even stagger him ONCE. Fuck.

The Aeronite fight is all about being able to stagger him the four levels and then doing massive damage. Aerora is generally the way to go for him, though don't think there's much difference between that and Thundara.

The big problem is your Passion Rogue is pretty much useless for Aeronite. Carrying Deprotect and Imperil's fine, since you can inflict them on Aeronite when you stagger him the final time. But the schemata's basically gonna be doing nothing of worth for most of the fight. Velvet Bouncer's set up as your primary damage dealer to Chronostasis during the last phase and throwing out Aerora before that. And Cyber Jumpsuit's there to tank damage. You need a dedicated RAV that can spam magic - L'automne is a good choice since it has Aerora and Thundara built in at reduced ATB cost and gives you an innate ATB bonus.

I actually used Passion Rogue as well for the majority of my first playthrough, though by now you probably have a good stock of Deprotect/Deshell.

The Aeronite fight is all about being able to stagger him the four levels and then doing massive damage. Aerora is generally the way to go for him, though don't think there's much difference between that and Thundara.

The big problem is your Passion Rogue is pretty much useless for Aeronite. Carrying Deprotect and Imperil's fine, since you can inflict them on Aeronite when you stagger him the final time. But the schemata's basically gonna be doing nothing of worth for most of the fight. Velvet Bouncer's set up as your primary damage dealer to Chronostasis during the last phase and throwing out Aerora before that. And Cyber Jumpsuit's there to tank damage. You need a dedicated RAV that can spam magic - L'automne is a good choice since it has Aerora and Thundara built in at reduced ATB cost and gives you an innate ATB bonus.

I actually used Passion Rogue as well for the majority of my first playthrough, though by now you probably have a good stock of Deprotect/Deshell.

Yeah Passion Rogue is quite ancient for me. Thanks for the tips, gotta change it to something else.

I got the Ultimate Sword/ Shield and it boosted my STR to 4997.

Umm... Artemis Arrow + Ultimate Sword = Bhunivelze dead in 2 minutes with only 1 Ether used. Question: does Artemis Arrow work on Aeronite? It did not work on Ereshkigal and Bhunivelze's final form.

Okay, what the fuck is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORKk...jjb8NEF5KDBu1Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=79

Yeah Passion Rogue is quite ancient for me. Thanks for the tips, gotta change it to something else.

Umm... Artemis Arrow + Ultimate Sword = Bhunivelze dead in 2 minutes with only 1 Ether used. Question: does Artemis Arrow work on Aeronite? It did not work on Ereshkigal and Bhunivelze's final form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORKk...jjb8NEF5KDBu1Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=79

It's perfect cast on duel spell such as firestorma, icesparka, flamasparka etc...

Just farming all those skills, getting it at lvl 1 then to 5 (so minimum atb) and getting the right rare ability going to take you like 5 play through and that's if you get lucky.

That guy has so much raw stats though that I have higher battle score on Aeronite fight even though it took me a full minute longer than he did. His Bhunivelze + score shit on mine though. Lol I couldn't crack 2 mil on that mofo.

Artemis Arrow didn't trigger on Ereshkigal because he is airborne.

L'automne is probably your best bet, though there are a few others that can be used as good ravager. If you're moving onto a second playthrough, you can use pretty much anything provided that you upgrade abilities for it.

Not too many of the Hard Mode only garbs are all that great (ditto for the special reward ones). The one exception is probably Stone and Sand, which you can buy right away in Luxerion. I really liked it and immediately turned it into my SEN/SAB/2nd COM.

Exentryk

That guy has so much raw stats though that I have higher battle score on Aeronite fight even though it took me a full minute longer than he did. His Bhunivelze + score shit on mine though. Lol I couldn't crack 2 mil on that mofo.

I doubt you have a higher score on Aeronite if your time is a minute slower than him. That's coz the scores are not based on stats.

I have faster times and higher scores than those vids, but the strats won't really help until you max yourself out.

I doubt you have a higher score on Aeronite if your time is a minute slower than him. That's coz the scores are not based on stats.

I have faster times and higher scores than those vids, but the strats won't really help until you max yourself out.

I have the book right in front of me.

Battle score is

100,000 (2,000 + (1,5000 x(HPc + EPc + Lc) x Mc)) x Rank

Hard Mode is pretty easy so far. Everything dies in 2-4 hits even Zomoks. Crazy stuff you can buy at the stores, though. +15 000 HP Shield? Who can afford that :D

Hard Mode is pretty easy so far. Everything dies in 2-4 hits even Zomoks. Crazy stuff you can buy at the stores, though. +15 000 HP Shield? Who can afford that :D

Yeah, most of the typical encounters in hard mode will be pretty easy with all the stat boosts from a NG+.

+15k HP Shield probably has its uses, though you can of course just upgrade certain ones to that yourself. I never did, myself - I found myself going for shields with ATB bonuses in NG+ and just equipped the Diamond Matinee Necklace (the +10k HP Ereshkigal drop) on my SEN schemata.

If you're looking for gil, Cactuar drop a lot (along with one of the more rare ability level up items). But the Afro Cactuar can actually be a bit of a tiny challenge on hard mode - unless you're able to break a certain massive damage amount, every single attack will only do 1HP damage to it. Still a pretty easy fight if you equip low ATB cost attacks and fire magic (and do it with Fang).

Yeah, most of the typical encounters in hard mode will be pretty easy with all the stat boosts from a NG+.

+15k HP Shield probably has its uses, though you can of course just upgrade certain ones to that yourself. I never did, myself - I found myself going for shields with ATB bonuses in NG+ and just equipped the Diamond Matinee Necklace (the +10k HP Ereshkigal drop) on my SEN schemata.

If you're looking for gil, Cactuar drop a lot (along with one of the more rare ability level up items). But the Afro Cactuar can actually be a bit of a tiny challenge on hard mode - unless you're able to break a certain massive damage amount, every single attack will only do 1HP damage to it. Still a pretty easy fight if you equip low ATB cost attacks and fire magic (and do it with Fang).

I take it back - Hard mode is quite hard because you cannot farm EP *anywhere*. I am losing hours looking for those damn accessories all over the map, argh. At least I managed to replace my 30 hours old white Thundara LVL2 x1.00 with yellow Thundara LVL4 x2.40, yay!!!

Caius was piss easy. Like I killed him in 40 seconds using Overclock. In Normal playthrough it was the hardest boss for me next to Aeronite.

I killed the Cactair as well yesterday. Funny fight. I Punted him to death in 20 minutes, heh.

I am still using my old stuff from Normal playthrough with the exception of Buster Sword levelled up to 2000 damage (700 more than Morgenstern). Still using Passion Rogue :|

Don't have the money to level it up more nor to buy any good shield.

There is also this Buster Shield that can be levelled up to +20 000 HP. Then there is the Ehrgezkial accessory drop which can go up to +30 000 HP. I guess you can have like 99 999 HP in this game with maxed out +HP equipment. Cray stuff.

And it is done:

aeronitebyuai.jpg

The whole trilogy: 1000/1000.

ff13_10009jusc.jpg

ff13-2_1000qyuft.jpg

ff13-3_1000d4uvd.jpg

The whole trilogy took me nearly 300 hours:

ff13_hoursssuo3.jpg

ff13-2_hoursgvugp.jpg

ff13-3_hoursc1uc3.jpg

Thank you very much for those 300 hours, Square. I had a blast. Now bring it on with FINAL FANTASY 15!

This also brings the total number of FF games that I've finished up to 20! :

Code:
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
	- Final Fantasy II : Soul of Rebirth
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XII : Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy XIII-3 : Lightning Returns
Final Fantasy : Crystal Chronicles
Final Fantasy : Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 : Grimoire of The Rift

Congrats! I also have 100% 'cheivos/trophies for the XIII series. And it's actually the only series/franchise where I can say such. I was on track for Mass Effect, but 3's ending left such a sour taste that I never did an Insane playthrough or got the DLC (and if either does eventually happen, it'll probably be anew on PC) and there's an odd multiplayer achievement I'm missing here or there in every Halo game. I finished FFV for the first time several months ago... I should really do the same for VI (only made it as far as Atma Weapon years ago). But the next FF game I get back into will probably be continuing my FFVIII Steam playthrough (at least I've been getting a victory for my backlog by finally playing Persona 3 lately).

I'm not quite sure if I should "thank" Squeenix for the 300 hours invested into the XIII trilogy though :p It's a shame since so much potential was squandered all around. From XIII's development issues that are supposedly the reason why it turned into an FFX-on-steroids Hallway Simulator (I guess as opposed to at least being able to do a better job at creating the illusion of whatever missing trappings, like X itself did) to Lightning Returns' status as "the sequel nobody wanted" leading to a shoestring budget and a lukewarm reception that never got any of its gameplay systems any sort of recognition.

Falk

that puzzling face
I was 'on track' for the assassin's creed series.

And then multiplayer trophies happened.

Fuck you Ubisoft, just... fuck you.

Oh well, still have Disgaea :V

Congrats! I also have 100% 'cheivos/trophies for the XIII series. And it's actually the only series/franchise where I can say such.

Thanks! And good job as well. Getting FF13 plat was really, really fucking boring.

BlazBreak said:
I'm not quite sure if I should "thank" Squeenix for the 300 hours invested into the XIII trilogy though :p It's a shame since so much potential was squandered all around. From XIII's development issues that are supposedly the reason why it turned into an FFX-on-steroids Hallway Simulator (I guess as opposed to at least being able to do a better job at creating the illusion of whatever missing trappings, like X itself did) to Lightning Returns' status as "the sequel nobody wanted" leading to a shoestring budget and a lukewarm reception that never got any of its gameplay systems any sort of recognition.

I cannot really say what was wrong with this game. In fact even with all of its flaws it kept me glued to the screen. I was very interested in how the story will play out and what will happen to all the characters that I've known for 4 years already.

I will try to list subjective pros and cons of FF13-3 below:

PROS:

1) music. Incredible OST that spans 4CDs. One of the best - if not THE best - in the whole series.
2) ability/ equipment/ dress system. Everything is customisable/ upgradeable and configurable. Applying staple of FF menu commands like Fire/ Attack/ Deshell etc. to your pad's buttons is a genius idea.
3) battle system. The best in the whole trilogy and the second best one right after FF12's Gambits. How do you speed up the already incredible fast battle system of FF13? Put all roles in one character! I loved the fluidity and instantness of it. And yes it required action game skills to master unlike FF13 and FF13-2 ones.
4) story. I might be alone in this but I found the last chapter of FF13 Trilogy to fullfill all my needs. It was exactly what I wanted to learn about the end of the journey and it even made sense.
5) time limit. Yeah it suck in the first hours. But then it really ups the ante of the gameplay. It is always in the back of your mind. The locales change 100% from day to night and music as well. And unlike Majora's Mask time limit - you cannot rewind it. You either succeed or fail. Yes, I failed the very first quest given by the Inspector in Luxerion :| Still, it makes the world feel alive as NPCs change their schedules and go to sleep etc.
6) no grinding. For the first time in FF history grinding doesn't make sense! You don't level up from grinding! You do not increase your stats like HP, STR, MAG from grinding. And get this: you can exterminate every single enemy in this game and after that... voilla! no grinding possible at all because everything is DEAD. Very, very interesting mechanic especially to be put in a JRPG. Props to Square.
7) the world. It feels very alive! There are NPCs everywhere doing their own things entering houses, running away from monsters etc. The game does not feel static anymore.
8) Noel/ Caius/ Yeul ending. The true ending to FF13-2. Beating the game is worth it for this part alone. I loved, LOVED the execution and how bad-ass yet good hearted Caius was. <3 Caius.

CONS:

1) time limit. It SUCKS. It makes the first 10 hours of your gaming incredibly stressing and annoying. You are always fearing that you will somehow lose the game. And the worst thing possible is when the quest giver is not there to give you a reward for the quest because it is night and he is asleep. Fuck you.
2) no grinding. Why :| I need to grind in order to have easy time with the bosses and not think much about the strategy!
3) very small world. 4 maps. Lowest in FF history. 3+1 dungeons. Lowest in FF history. WTF were they thiking? 2 of the maps are pretty much corridors anyway (Luxerion, Yusnaan) and the other 2 are open-world but really small. This is the biggest and truest disappointment of the game for me. It does not feel like a "Final Fantasy" game where I have only 4 maps and 3 dungeons!

there is no romance angle between them, haha. lightning is considered more of a motherly figure to hope after the events of XIII, and that's the official canon going off toriyama's comments in the lightning returns strategy guide.

the age gap is way too big. that said, there is a bizarre exchange in LR where lightning teases hope about having a thing for vanille. someone at s-e must've been surfing deviant art during development...

Then why do people on GameFAQs thinks otherwise?

Anyway, has anybody got suggestions on how to do some high level technique gameplay? Are there any helpful videos or tricks behind it? The perfect timing attacks. I understand for physical attacks, press the button just before the attack connect and for magic, just before the spell leave Lightning's hand.

I watched some Japanese players and it is unbelievable they can do it consistently. I can't do it consistently but rather intermittently.

Exentryk

Anyway, has anybody got suggestions on how to do some high level technique gameplay? Are there any helpful videos or tricks behind it? The perfect timing attacks. I understand for physical attacks, press the button just before the attack connect and for magic, just before the spell leave Lightning's hand.

I watched some Japanese players and it is unbelievable they can do it consistently. I can't do it consistently but rather intermittently.

If all you're wanting to learn are perfect attacks, then you just have to spend time and practice.

There are other high level techs which you can use to faceroll some of the harder bosses. For example, Hard Aeronite in under a minute. See the vid description for useful links.

You have your answer.

Despite that, they still have this "beliefs". I have seen some strange Tumblrs dedicated to this kind of things. Considering the official source clearly refute all that and yet they believe it. It would be a lot more understandable if there were evidences or official sources to backup it up but there are none.

If all you're wanting to learn are perfect attacks, then you just have to spend time and practice.

There are other high level techs which you can use to faceroll some of the harder bosses. For example, Hard Aeronite in under a minute. See the vid description for useful links.

I can't do what you did in that video as I haven't perfected perfect attacks. What I have been doing to practice is on the Ark, I fight either Omega Gremlin or Omega Gurangatch with the complete magic or physical immunity and use the lowest level abilities and try to time the attacks.

On the other hand, Perfect Guards are lot easier than Perfect Attacks. I don't spam the Guard ability. I timed it.

Despite that, they still have this "beliefs". I have seen some strange Tumblrs dedicated to this kind of things. Considering the official source clearly refute all that and yet they believe it. It would be a lot more understandable if there were evidences or official sources to backup it up but there are none.

I can't do what you did in that video as I haven't perfected perfect attacks. What I have been doing to practice is on the Ark, I fight either Omega Gremlin or Omega Gurangatch with the complete magic or physical immunity and use the lowest level abilities and try to time the attacks.

On the other hand, Perfect Guards are lot easier than Perfect Attacks. I don't spam the Guard ability. I timed it.

They hold the belief they do because they want what they want. They look at the smallest details and twist them, to the point of ignoring the "Hope switches on Lightning's big sister instinct/guardian instinct" part of the LR interview and focusing on the "He helps complete her character" (which is twisted in of itself since he was clearly talking from a literary standpoint). The fact is that Lightning sees Hope as someone to be protected like a younger sibling. And that's just Watanabe. Toriyama (the actual creator of the characters) is also rather straight forward about his feelings toward Hope and Lightning.

Sorry for sounding a bit perturbed. LightningxHope shippers... annoy me.

Wagram

I've been a little busy but i've finally managed to start playing this recently. I've put a solid 20 hours into it, and once again I can't understand the reasoning behind the Metacritic score.

66? Really? Sure the clock kind of sucks, but i've been able to self sustain it for awhile. The only true complaint I have about it is that there is some slowdown on occasion. The XIII series isn't perfect, but people criticize far more harshly than they should.

Overall though, i'm having a lot of fun with the combat. It's quite similar to XIII/XIII-2 but it feels like I have a higher degree of control. Does anyone know if you can examine abilities on schemas without actually setting/equipping them?

HTupolev

I've put a solid 20 hours into it, and once again I can't understand the reasoning behind the Metacritic score.
It's a game with very sketchy production values, a very weird overall style, and pretty awkward first impressions due to the time system. How good it is depends strongly on your outlook and how you approach it.

That it would get a poor rating from professional critics was obvious long before the game even released. Not because I knew it would be bad, but because even if it wasn't, it's something that simply wouldn't fly on a professional critic's rubric.

Cormano

I finished the game today, and i think its by far the worst in the trilogy, now im just trying to upgrade 30 accesories for the plat.

I have a question. How long is this game? I played and beat the first two but sold my PS3 for a PS4 around the time this game came out and never played it. Now it's on the PS NOW service and I am tempted to rent it. Just wondering if it can be beaten in 7 days or should I just get it for 30. Thanks!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I have a question. How long is this game? I played and beat the first two but sold my PS3 for a PS4 around the time this game came out and never played it. Now it's on the PS NOW service and I am tempted to rent it. Just wondering if it can be beaten in 7 days or should I just get it for 30. Thanks!
How many hours a day do you plan to play?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I've been a little busy but i've finally managed to start playing this recently. I've put a solid 20 hours into it, and once again I can't understand the reasoning behind the Metacritic score.

66? Really? Sure the clock kind of sucks, but i've been able to self sustain it for awhile. The only true complaint I have about it is that there is some slowdown on occasion. The XIII series isn't perfect, but people criticize far more harshly than they should.

Overall though, i'm having a lot of fun with the combat. It's quite similar to XIII/XIII-2 but it feels like I have a higher degree of control. Does anyone know if you can examine abilities on schemas without actually setting/equipping them?

Story/dialogue, visuals/framerate, game structure were some of the things many people disliked. They are valid complaints.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Fudge, is Caius's sword missable? I didn't realize you had to pick it up. Went back a few hours later and it's not there :(.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
It has this particular charm. It is the music and the locales that really sucked me in.

Yeah, missable if you exit the area. Such a great weapon for staggering.

Well my last save was from four hours ago (IRL time), though I can probably make it back to the Caius battle in about two. All of XIII-2 I wanted to use that sword, time to reload lol.

TheF1BOB

Banned
It has this particular charm. It is the music and the locales that really sucked me in.

Yeah, missable if you exit the area. Such a great weapon for staggering.

Yes, the world and the music is amazing, has a dark, end of the world charm to it but also knows when to liven it up. So much diversity.

The demo sold me on this when it came available (got full game & guide). The battle system surprised me, so good.

Will buy PC version for 60FPS goodness.

I'm currently playing this. I'm finding it far harder than FFXIII and FFXIII-2. I'm on Day 4 and I believe I have finished all main missions in the big city and most of them in the Wildlands. But I'm still struggling with a lot of the enemies in this game and am often avoiding fights until I get stronger from sidequests and stuff. But I am having lots of fun. I love they used music from FFXIII and FFXIII-2 in this, its a real nostalgic trip.

Anas

Banned
I was planning to open a new thread, but I can't since I'm a junior.
so I will put my review in this thread, I hope there isn't a second OP or something.

Who wanted another sequel of Final Fantasy XIII ? almost everyone, except for the one who actually like XIII-2 (which is much better than the sequel). This is the first time that Final Fantasy game get a second sequel in the same decade and the same generation, and for the first time.. this Final Fantasy didn't used all power of PS3, and X360 like the first one who made the X360 cough for being too much powerful.
Forget almost everything you know about the battle system in FFXIII, cause this one pretty different, the combat system in Lightning Returns called Amazing ATB, and it's absolutely not any kind of Turn-Based RPG, the game been influenced by corporate previous acts like Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII, and Birth By Sleep which made the combat 10 time better than ever, and also got the concept of Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (I never played it but they all saying it's the same idea), and also have the MMORPG games quests.

The game story is taking place after 500 years of the previous one (one hell of a time skip) but don't worry everyone looks the same and no one has grandchildren , because of something random Serah and Noel did the world has drowned in chaos and everybody stopped aging and the most important in the story the you'll start the game with only 13 days left till the end of the world, Lightning who somehow return and become the SAVIOR and save people as much she can.
Okay.. the story is not much to expect is so stupid for a company that gave us deep stories in their previous games and when finish the game you'll be like : did they just made another Dante's Inferno with a pink-headed female? Did they wrote the story in like 10 minutes?

The team who worked on Lightning Returns is the laziest team of all time, they all most copied the previous monsters in FFXIII, FFXIII-2 and put them again in this game, and also Nomura was so depressed of being kicked out from FFXV that he only.. only designed new looks for Lightning and Snow, and the rest are the same.. except for Vanille, she bought one hill of a cap (yay)!, I don't say that the soundtracks is awfull, but actually is not.. Yes this first thing I will praise in this review, the soundtracks the used in this game is manifest, except they're belong to FFXIII, and FFXIII-2, I'm telling you.. The most laziest team of all time the game actually don't a completely new soundtrack, but only like 10, and the rest is has been taking from the previous FFXIII, and also the NPC, they're pretty much the same, and you'll memorize their face after doing all this quests.

When I say laziness, I mean the Graphics in this game, oh god the CG looks better than ever, but the real-time is a complete disaster get ready for all kind of pixels and texture in this game. Yes I repeat it's from the same creators who gave us the deep detailed graphics and game environment in 2010, as for fan who waited the game since it been announced in September 2012 it'd be fine if the game been delayed for more progressing, it would be finer by me if this game was on PS4 and X1 even. But No! they were in such a rush and gave us the game too early. Toriyama and Kitase should be kicked out.

Say Goodbye for Cocoon and GranPulse cause they're longer exist no more.. there's what left of Gran Pluse and for a reason it's called Nova Chrysalia "do they ever get tired of all these names", and it contain four areas like Luxerion: the gothic-themed town with the homeless people and saints that don't donate a shit. and Yusnan : the city that is full of drunk people who celebrate all night long just because the world is going to end. And Wildlands: which is an expanded version of Archlyte Steppe but with more grass and trees and It doesn’t contain Adamantortoise which would be amazing if they did. And The last is: The Dead Dunes: a desert full of temples the will make you want to check if you have an Alzheimer. All four locations was fun and good to explore and do quests, and believe me you talk with people more than ever for clues for your quests, which is what FFXIII don't have.

For the Gameplay.. welp you have 07 days left on your screen, the days will not decrease if you did the main quest, and you 5 main quests which make it 13 days, don't know how but it is and I don't have much of a mathematics brain and time to explain why. You have three kinds of the quests : Main Quest, and Side Quests, and Canvas of Prayers. Everytime you complete a quest you'll get an amount of HP, Attack, Magic that will made you stronger this is the only you can upgrade Lightning not by killing enemies, and what they're existed for? They drop thing or two that helps you to complete the quest, the game won't contain any kind of XP or CP, doing quest is the only way to upgrade. If you were a MMORPG addicted you'll love doing the side quests because it's really addicting, more than 100 quests and like Open-World games, some of the mission only exist in a limited during, there quests you can only do it in night for example. But if we going to speak about the Main Quest I'd say it's good enough, but the game gives the worst way to start your first main quest, the first main quest in the game is you to find 4 codes number in a city you barely knew anything about it yet. That quest made some of people confused and the other ditch the game because of it. Sure square know the best way to start things.

Oh you waiting for me to say something about the game.. okay here we go. Lightning Returns combat system is the best so far, addicting, hard, sexy, and evolutionary for an Action RPG, you three schemata's you'll get to design each one of them by choosing garbs, weapon, abilities, etc.. and during battle every schemata will have an ATB gauge that will make the total three ATB gauges, every schemata will have 4 abilities you'll get to put whatever you want, the thing is with 3 ATB gauges and different 12 abilities you'll have the best Non-Stop combat system since you were bored in the previous two games of waiting the ATB system to be refilled. Of course the stagger strategy still exist and this time the enemy will be staggered only by knowing right element, that mean you'll press R2 for Libra a lot not like the old times. And the game contains EP's that make you stops time, and do limit break, or slow the time during the battle, limit break etc..

Will the game been also influenced by Dark Souls like they said and like what I've experienced, the battles with simplest enemies will kinda hard in the beginning, and also the game have dragons and titans, and also everytime you do quest the soul of the person will got to lighting (doesn’t that remind you of Dark Souls), and also you'll have a stamina gauge only during exploring. And there's something I really like about the enemies, they're extinct-able. After defeating too many of the same monster.. you'll see a purple version of it that's mean is the Last One, The Last Ones are more powerful which will give you more challenge.

So.. maybe I mentioned bad things more than the good things, the game is pretty good when you consider that it doesn’t have a story for god sake this RPG not Interactive Drama. The music is good, and for the graphics.. think of like it was a late PS2 game, and you'll be satisfied. But the most important is the Battle system that have a great potential in the future

What I liked :
+ Amazing combat system
+ No linearity .. at all
+ Fun side quests
+ Big multi-environment maps
+ The CG's cut scenes is beautiful than ever
+ Good Soundtracks.. but not original

What I desliked :
- Awful real-time
- Awful story
- Unclear hints and stupid beginning
- Hope, and dialogues

10/8

#LightningReturns needed more time to be developed, and it's quite fun game if you didn't give a shit about the story content, and keep pressing the skip button, and it's a good game that gone wrong because of the stupid decisions of Toriyama and Kitase.

Sorry to drag up the thread but I have been looking for a non spoiler answer.

What happens if I run out of time? Do I start again with all gear just like dead rising or is it more sinister than that?

Adaren

Sorry to drag up the thread but I have been looking for a non spoiler answer.

What happens if I run out of time? Do I start again with all gear just like dead rising or is it more sinister than that?

It's pretty much what you described. You'll start the game over, but with all of your stats+gear preserved, making it easier the second time around.

Try not to sweat running out of time too much, though! As long as you hit-up quest locations in a reasonable order and make frequent use of Chronostasis, you'll probably end up with tons of time. If I remember correctly, I had everything (bonus bosses, quests, monster clearing) 100% done by early Day 8.

It's pretty much what you described. You'll start the game over, but with all of your stats+gear preserved, making it easier the second time around.

Try not to sweat running out of time too much, though! As long as you hit-up quest locations in a reasonable order and make frequent use of Chronostasis, you'll probably end up with tons of time. If I remember correctly, I had everything (bonus bosses, quests, monster clearing) 100% done by early Day 8.

Thank you letting me know.

I actually need to finish xiii-2 but I have the steelbook LR in the mail.

I can't wait all of a sudden.

Lightning

Banned
A couple of questions before I spend hours upgrading my equipment and wasting my time.

1) When upgrading my spells, attacks and such which are the best ones to focus on? Really difficult to focus on them all with limited amount of both time and enemies (Technically the game gives you more than enough time if you know what you're doing)

Is it best to focus on upgrading or forget it and fight the monsters after day 10 for the better drops? High ATB cost puts me off doing that with my favourable attacks though, Aerora, AeroBlitz etc.

2) When is the best time to extinct monsters? I'm on day 7 at the moment and only the Skeletons are extinct.

I've done most of the side quests, which mostly involve annoying back and forth running to increase stats which is bullshit. The amount of time I have had to redo days to know what to do in an acceptable timeframe is incredibly annoying. I've only just started upgrading my attacks but I don't want to fuck it up and have to do it again because this is going to take a while.

Any help would be much appreciated.

BUMP! I'm on Day 8! This game is really unlike any other Final Fantasy game. The number of garbs and customization really overwhelms me as I'm afraid of what I'm hearing about the final boss!

That being said, I'm really enjoying it. Worst part? This game has made me LOVE Lightning and the story of the series. 13-2 and LR are much more related that 13. 13 feels like an alternate universe at this point.

I'm hoping to finish it ASAP. I need to know what happens!

HTupolev

13 feels like an alternate universe at this point.
It maybe ought to be. XIII is narratively self-contained, and XIII-2's pseudo-retcon disrupts its flow. Meanwhile, XIII-2 + LR doesn't really seem to build off of XIII in a way that's useful to the latter 2 games.

The whole thing could potentially work better if XIII sat by itself and XIII-2 + LR were a totally separate entity that had a XIII-ish "prologue" embedded into its lore. But then it would be harder to justify asset reuse and such. :D

It maybe ought to be. XIII is narratively self-contained, and XIII-2's pseudo-retcon disrupts its flow. Meanwhile, XIII-2 + LR doesn't really seem to build off of XIII in a way that's useful to the latter 2 games.

The whole thing could potentially work better if XIII sat by itself and XIII-2 + LR were a totally separate entity that had a XIII-ish "prologue" embedded into its lore. But then it would be harder to justify asset reuse and such. :D

True that! I just wish 13 had done a better job explaining the mythos of the series. It plays such a crucial part in 13-2 and LR. I thought it was made up in 13-2, but apparently all of it is in the datalogs of 13...which no one actually reads.

The stuff about Pulse, Etro, Bhuni and Bhuni's mom and all that gets so confusing lol

Omaer

Banned
The whole trilogy: 1000/1000.
The whole trilogy took me nearly 300 hours

This also brings the total number of FF games that I've finished up to 20! :

Code:
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
	- Final Fantasy II : Soul of Rebirth
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XII : Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy XIII-3 : Lightning Returns
Final Fantasy : Crystal Chronicles
Final Fantasy : Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 : Grimoire of The Rift

Nice. I have only finished the first one @ 79 the second one at ~50 the last one I still haven't finished it yet.

But I am very surprised that you haven't finished FFX but you have finished FFX-2.

Imho ffx is one of the best ff ever made.

You should give it a serious go. I am sure you will enjoy it.

cj_iwakura

Finally started this last night. The combat system is... interesting. Have no clue where the story is going, but we'll see. (Keep in mind I loved XIII and enjoyed XIII-2, I just wish this was back to having a full party.)

cj_iwakura

Wow, this is the most phoned-in voice acting I have ever heard. Hope doesn't give a damn about this backstory. At least they put in effort with -2.

Falk

that puzzling face
I hope you have "but my computer is shit" as an excuse considering Steam version in just over a week :(

(You played Infinitas alpha though so I know that'd be a lie mgrgrgrgr)

Top Bottom