• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

Occam

I think at this point _everyone_ wish we had made more :) but it's always easier to do prediction after the facts. The reality is that we never know how successful a game can be and the market is very harsh. Personally I had no say in the numbers (it was between DotEmu and LRG) if you asked me I would have requested one million copies.

It wasn't after the facts, though, people here on NeoGAF said it months ago. We also said it about Night Trap and we keep saying it about Y's.

ranmafan

Geez the way it sounds, I'm going to have to make sure not to screw up next week and be super ready when Night Trap goes on sale. It's the one title I want the most of anything LRG has done so far and has planned for the future by a gigantic margin. Even more so than most other games too. I really don't want to miss out. Hope I don't.

Semoreh

It wasn't after the facts, though, people here no NeoGAF said it months ago. We also said it about Night Trap and we keep saying it about Y's.

They were probably worried about the impact of the Asian unlimited, cheaper release. But now we know : it doesn't have ANY significant impact ^^'

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm really not getting the Night Trap hype.
I'll wait for Vita on that one, else digital.

I do appreciate the remaster though as it's a great upgrade.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
They were probably worried about the impact of the Asian unlimited, cheaper release. But now we know : it doesn't have ANY significant impact ^^'
It's not unlimited.

z78N9UJl.png
https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/893678369061052417

Night Trap is really really funny. I play the Sega CD/32X version once a year around Halloween with my friends.

Mzo

Do you enjoy watching the Room, Samurai Cop, Troll 2, or any other B-movie disasters? It's like that. Love it. Can't wait for it. I'd ask them to make enough but the whole point is to make people fight for them.

joe2187

Banned
Is there a set time when the wonder boy will be up today? I have work today would like to know so i dont miss it again.

Semoreh

It's not unlimited.

It is not unlimited. Lizarcube tweeted that it actually has less copies in its run than LRG had. Checks few posts up

I am not deducing that it is super limited. They say it's "smaller", but "smaller than usual" ? Anyway in Asia I noticed games are often printed in small batches but when they're sold out they get reprinted again. Oreshika and Shadow of the Beast are still dripping in the market from time to time. So even if this batch is small, they may very well be another one behind.

About Lawbreaker. Right now there are :
- 560 standard units left (11.2%)
- 265 CE left (10.6%)

6 hours ago there were :
- 675 SU (13.5%)
- 372 CE (15%)
At this rate they may actually sell out during the first half of next week.

Weevilone

To be fair a lot of people bought Overwatch physical. The game will be playable for a while still.
Also some people buy physical PC games that need activation on Steam. That seems useless but it's actually a way to install the game faster when you have a shitty connections. Maybe it's also the case here ?
Plenty of small reasons I guess.

A lot of people bought Overwatch physical, registered the key, and threw the stuff away too. It was a way to get a discount.

Wait is there another chance somewhere? I missed the LR version.

They said they'd be releasing a couple hundred units after they cancel the people that violated the limits. No doubt they will communicate this poorly, it'll sell out in 10 seconds, and people will be further antagonized.

It's times like this that I really wish LRG would revisit their "only one run" rule. I think Wonder Boy could easily sell another 2000 units and 1K CE. I'm much more in the camp of getting the game into the hands of people who want it rather than keeping it super limited. I know the PA version exists, but most people, including myself, would prefer to get NA releases.

Personally, I would love to see them reprint both Shantae's too. Both of these games are great, but expensive, and deserve to be in everyone's collection.

Occam

If they started doing 24h preorder windows, they could definitely sell much more of games like Wonder Boy. And if some scalper wanted to order 500, it wouldn't matter. On the other hand, they'd sell less of mediocre (supposedly, haven't played it) titles like Lawbreakers. Seems fair.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It's times like this that I really wish LRG would revisit their "only one run" rule. I think Wonder Boy could easily sell another 2000 units and 1K CE. I'm much more in the camp of getting the game into the hands of people who want it rather than keeping it super limited. I know the PA version exists, but most people, including myself, would prefer to get NA releases.

Personally, I would love to see them reprint both Shantae's too. Both of these games are great, but expensive, and deserve to be in everyone's collection.

It's in the camp of "it's hard to please everyone", because this would piss off A LOT of "I bought it because it was limited" people, and they've already dealt with death threats etc over their stuff :/

EDIT: At one point, FFXV LE was going to have additional copies made (personally, I DO NOT MIND if this happens), but numbered people blew up that it would be more than 10,000 and the company "lied" etc etc

It's in the camp of "it's hard to please everyone", because this would piss off A LOT of "I bought it because it was limited" people, and they've already dealt with death threats etc over their stuff :/

EDIT: At one point, FFXV LE was going to have additional copies made (personally, I DO NOT MIND if this happens), but numbered people blew up that it would be more than 10,000 and the company "lied" etc etc

Then why not do "different prints" like editions of comic books? You can have different covers and disc arts, and I'm sure the original prints would retain its value

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Then why not do "different prints" like editions of comic books? You can have different covers and disc arts, and I'm sure the original prints would retain its value

Pretty sure that would still piss off people, since LRG's stance is "one and done". It's not easy to please all sides of the fanbase.

The_Kid

It would probably still decrease a bit because more copies of a game would be in existence.

Unfortunately the scalping is just a side effect of the business model. Not many ways to fix that without pissing off people.

Retro City Rampage did this. I think it had a small effect on first print copies, but I wouldn't have a copy otherwise.

Personally, I will always be on the side of satisfying demand (within reason... I recognize the margins LRG is working with are pretty thin here) at the cost of perceived value or collectibility. I'm a gamer first, and I'd rather games have no value attached than too much. I bought Breach & Clear because I wanted to support the idea of getting games I wanted physically, not because I hoped it would be worth $200 one day.

Note: I generally think LRG has been pretty good satisfying demand lately. I also think not being so adverse to reprints would help curb scalpers on some of these high profile releases.

Weevilone

Pretty sure that would still piss off people, since LRG's stance is "one and done". It's not easy to please all sides of the fanbase.

In my opinion they are going to piss people off either way. They might as well piss people off while satisfying demand and making additional money.

Let the petty people who want their thing that nobody else can have suck it.

hawk2025

Sundered is SO good! Have been playing it nonstop since getting the Kickstarter code.

Very happy that it's coming in the future with all DLC and patches on the disc.

Semoreh

Retro City Rampage did this. I think it had a small effect on first print copies, but I wouldn't have a copy otherwise.

Retro City Rampage is a perfect example. Yes, he did this and he sold more copies. HOWEVER some people were pretty angry because there game suddenly lost some value. Maybe they had already paid scalper price and now the value went down.
Also, when he publishes his next game, you can be sure there won't be as much of a "rush" to get it than for the first RCR. Some people will realize the probability of a reprint is high anyway, so they'll delay their purchase and eventually some will even forget.

Sundered is SO good! Have been playing it nonstop since getting the Kickstarter code.

That's high on my wishlist ! Hope we'll have a date soon :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If the issue is annoying the hard core collectors who keep everything sealed, why not just have a giant REPRINT label on the cover to make it clear that one is a reprint copy.

zeopower6

If they started doing 24h preorder windows, they could definitely sell much more of games like Wonder Boy. And if some scalper wanted to order 500, it wouldn't matter. On the other hand, they'd sell less of mediocre (supposedly, haven't played it) titles like Lawbreakers. Seems fair.

I know some do limited 'preorders' that are made to order. I wonder if they could do that at some point or at least test that out with a 'big' release.

However, I guess it is going to be up to the developers at that point.

If the issue is annoying the hard core collectors who keep everything sealed, why not just have a giant REPRINT label on the cover to make it clear that one is a reprint copy.

Because people who are hard core collectors are nuts and will then have to buy a copy of the REPRINT label versions.

Retro City Rampage is a perfect example. Yes, he did this and he sold more copies. HOWEVER some people were pretty angry because there game suddenly lost some value. Maybe they had already paid scalper price and now the value went down.
Also, when he publishes his next game, you can be sure there won't be as much of a "rush" to get it than for the first RCR. Some people will realize the probability of a reprint is high anyway, so they'll delay their purchase and eventually some will even forget.

Sure, you're going to get some people angry that their game isn't worth as much. But you're gonna get a lot more people (like myself) who're happy to have a shot at owning it physically for a reasonable price. I think the trade off is worth it. Also, nobody forces anyone to pay scalper prices. I refuse to pay scalper prices period, and I think others should, too.

At any rate, I've seen a lot of negativity and swearing off of LRG in the past 24 hours; significantly more than previous mishaps. It almost reminds me of The Amiibo burnout I experienced around the time Ness came out. I think LRG is going to have to figure out a way to make it a bit easier for people to get their hands on these higher profile releases or risk a real image problem.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
At any rate, I've seen a lot of negativity and swearing off of LRG in the past 24 hours; significantly more than previous mishaps. It almost reminds me of The Amiibo burnout I experienced around the time Ness came out. I think LRG is going to have to figure out a way to make it a bit easier for people to get their hands on these higher profile releases or risk a real image problem.

It comes from both sides of the pond of people that have "swore off LRG" for one reason or another. It's... a very difficult issue to try and deal with. No matter what they do really, people will "quit", but that's their choice. (Some had issues over them simply making copies of Broken Age for whatever political reason and quit then, too).

It comes from both sides of the pond of people that have "swore off LRG" for one reason or another. It's... a very difficult issue to try and deal with. No matter what they do really, people will "quit", but that's their choice. (Some had issues over them simply making copies of Broken Age for whatever political reason and quit then, too).

Oh, definitely. There are plenty of people who "swear off," only to queue up the following week for whatever release once they've cooled down a bit. But what I'm seeing a lot of now is people who're just tired of the whole rigamoro. As someone who wants LRG to have a nice, long life, that's concerning to me.

Sidenote, anybody coming up with a game plan for next week? I was planning on getting Night Trap CE and The Bunker together, but after yesterday I think I might lock down Night Trap first and go after The Bunker in a seperate order.

As has been said, there is no way to make everyone happy. I think that preorders would only work for some games; usually only highly anticipated titles, and that it would only be successful in limited (no pun intended) scenarios. A better solution would be getting publishers and developers to agree to higher print runs. Limited Run Games releases aren't as under the radar as they were when this started. Disc and cart counts should be adjusted accordingly. This would at least help get physical copies into more of the hands that want them for the reason of having and playing them. Unless you're just buying something because it's guaranteed to be rare. In that case you don't really have an argument to stand on; first come first serve.

A large chunk of the frustration over missing out on physical copies of games should be directed at the game publishers themselves; especially when you consider that we're receiving absurdly priced special and/or collector editions that include a bunch of keepsakes and a digital download code. It's insulting actually. All of that effort on the Battle Garegga special edition and it doesn't include disc. Though Garegga might be more well known in certain circles, I would argue that it's just as niche as many of the games that LRG has had pressed. We are looking at a similar scenario with the upcoming Sonica Mania. The preorder window would likely work even better in these cases, with massive organization like Sega behind them. I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult for them to pull Amazon preorder numbers to send to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo to press wantever amount comes out on the other end.

There's no excuse for the lack of a physical version if the demand is there. Smaller or less expensive prints are not only a thing, but they seem to be kind of common this generation. I'm looking at my shelf right now and I see Caladrius, two different region copies of Leynos, Earth's Dawn, Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero and Gravity Rush Remastered. These are all lower priced releases, most of them b-tier. Call it anecdotal, but I was able to walk into a local brick and mortar and pick up half of the games in that list. One of them was the result of a goddamned kickstarter campaign!

Sorry, this post became more about the lack of physical media than an additional a contribution to the Limited Run Games topic. Though the rise of digital only distribution and the industry's attempt to shove aside physical media is why most of us are here.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Though the rise of digital only distribution and the industry's attempt to shove aside physical media is why most of us are here.

Some publishers just don't make sense in their decision. Recently in another topic, it was noted that several HUGE EA sports physical copies were taken off of Amazon, but the digital code remained. There's definitely A LOT to speculate here, but the fear of companies wanting the higher profit margin from physical copies, is alive and well. But with giant games like Madden that top charts, what is going on? It appears to be an Amazon-only issue, but it's hard to figure out who to point the finger at :/ Just using one example here, but it stinks with what is going on :/ I have no problem with people liking their digital copies, but the other portion of the fanbase would still rather have physical.

With small companies like LRG, it's a hard thing to figure out. Publishers definitely like to think that "oh, 3,000 copies is fine", but sometimes... I think they forget about their global audience. LRG is technically NA region, but everyone buys from them. Do the publishers just not think that the market is still there for physical, or that their game simply isn't popular enough?

Edit: Considering Night Trap, I think about the My Life in Gaming documentary, that mentions the LRG copy. If you think about how many views that video alone has, think about how many people might want to BUY it, along with people who also want it that might have not even watched it. Power of teh internet.

After watching SuperBunnyHop's YouTube review I feel the complete opposite :/

EDIT: It may be a recurrent headache - and given their latest twitter posts I don't think the backlash from DT selling out is lost on them - but if they just carry on as normal without doing something to properly address the underlying issues (namely that the business is clearly reaching more people now then it's original collectors audience) then they're going to have the same problem with future releases ad nauseum (next stop, Night Trap).

mollipen

Thank god we've moved on to a second thread so that these endless arguments over how LRG should run their business can continue! I was afraid going around and around with the same discussions was going to be left behind with the old thread.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thank god we've moved on to a second thread so that these endless arguments over how LRG should run their business can continue! I was afraid going around and around with the same discussions was going to be left behind with the old thread.
I can't even be mad because I'll just buy the Play Asia version. lol

But I imagine there's just no good way to do this outside of an actual lottery, like with some Japanese retailers.

Weevilone

I don't think anyone can save those people swearing off due to a game being released that was done by a dev with "bad" politics. Leave those people to toil in their safe spaces where they aren't offended by anything.

mosaic

go eat paint
Wasn't there any post card or trading card for Dariusburst Vita or do I miss one of them? I only got the LRG sticker.
Yes, two different trading cards. 001 and 002. 001 is exceedingly rare because the printer messed up the stock, so they trashed the silver foil ones and sent out only the gold foil ones.

There's a bit of a thread here:

http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/limitedrunforums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2407

Also, FYI to those that didn't notice, gold have 10% of the print run, while silver is 90%. If their forum is right, no silver 001s exist yet, until they start doing "packs" later on.

I didn't get any cards with my CE, just the postcard. I got the cards with my Vita versions.

hawk2025

I meannnn...

By that logic:

- we shouldn't ask for specific games
- we shouldn't say what we want for packaging
- we shouldn't say whether we like slipcovers and steelbooks

They should get REALLY worried when people simply stop caring. People are opining because they care!

Where is this second thread? A search brought up nothing.

Edit: Never mind - you mean this thread. I thought a new thread had been created for those arguments, which isn't a bad idea IMO.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I meannnn...

By that logic:

The above are asking for suggestions, not about changing the company's whole business model.

Jimm

I know the whole idea is that the games are limited. I've been a fan since day 1 and own 75% of the releases.
But even 8000, 10,000 copies is still limited. Why not slowly try to up the numbers since they have clearly grown in popularity. I mean, the Oceanhorn numbers were way too low that was crazy. I understand there's a risk with ordering more copies, but even when a game CLEARLY had a print run too high, it still sold out eventually.

hawk2025

The above are asking for suggestions, not about changing the company's whole business model.

A distinction without a difference.

We've asked them to shift to visual novels, translate games, release Switch games, release games that don't have NTSC releases yet...

Hell, we're constantly discussing when release schedules should go, how many games to release together, whether or not to do Kickstarters, you name it.

mollipen

I meannnn...

By that logic:

Those are completely different than going over the same "here's how they should run their business" arguments over and over again. It's like "hey Burger King you should really bring chicken fries back" versus "hey Burger King you're wrong in how you operate as restaurants stop doing that and become food trucks".

One is on the consumer side where what a company wants to know what products consumers want, the other is consumers thinking they know how to run a business better than the people running it.

hawk2025

Those are completely different than going over the same "here's how they should run their business" arguments over and over again. It's like "hey Burger King you should really bring chicken fries back" versus "hey Burger King you're wrong in how you operate as restaurants stop doing that and become food trucks".

One is on the consumer side where what a company wants to know what products consumers want, the other is consumers thinking they know how to run a business better than the people running it.

Perfect analogy -- LRG's whole business is in selling a limited amount of chicken fries.

Are you surprised people keep asking for other ways to buy them?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They're talking about releasing the oversold copies but have yet to reply to my ticket for it, haven't said a word about my order or responded to a twitter message I sent.

The only reason I tried to start a fresh second order while I was in the queue was because of the disastrous experience from the first batch.

Regardless of the outcome of my order I don't think I'll be buying off these guys again. This was my first experience with them and it hasn't been great.

To be fair, an untold number of companies have gone under due to consumers thinking they know how to run a business better and then proving it. Amazon and Netflix both took a service, made it better, then destroyed their competition (or significant segments of it).

Top Bottom