• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

mollipen

Perfect analogy -- LRG's whole business is in selling a limited amount of chicken fries.

Are you surprised people keep asking for other ways to buy them?

People can go ahead and ask them on Twitter, in email, in a post on here hoping they might see it, whatever. Knock yourselves out. But constantly bringing it up over and over again, and trying to argue from a position of assumed knowledge on what is actually smart on a business level for LRG, is completely annoying. All of the back-and-forth arguments in the world in these threads isn't going to change anything.

Yes, two different trading cards. 001 and 002. 001 is exceedingly rare because the printer messed up the stock, so they trashed the silver foil ones and sent out only the gold foil ones.

There's a bit of a thread here:

http://www.mightyrabbitstudios.com/limitedrunforums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2407

Also, FYI to those that didn't notice, gold have 10% of the print run, while silver is 90%. If their forum is right, no silver 001s exist yet, until they start doing "packs" later on.

I didn't get any cards with my CE, just the postcard. I got the cards with my Vita versions.

So there was a trading card AND a postcard? Bummer. I hope the support can help me out with this one. I want atleast the postcard, to complete my collection of these.

zeopower6

People can go ahead and ask them on Twitter, in email, in a post on here hoping they might see it, whatever. Knock yourselves out. But constantly bringing it up over and over again, and trying to argue from a position of assumed knowledge on what is actually smart on a business level for LRG, is completely annoying. All of the back-and-forth arguments in the world in these threads isn't going to change anything.

If anything though it's more annoying to see someone complain about it. Just let the discussion happen. Like, the complaining about the "consumers knowing better" is more off topic than the people making suggestions on what they could be doing to alleviate these issues.

This sounds like it may be one of the worst releases for them since Wonder Boy was only up for maybe a minute or two before selling out on both occasions. With Ys and Night Trap coming up, I wonder just how quickly those will sell out.

Just, I don't know, ignore it?

If anything though it's more annoying to see someone complain about it. Just let the discussion happen. Like, the complaining about the "consumers knowing better" is more off topic than the people making suggestions on what they could be doing to alleviate these issues.

This sounds like it may be one of the worst releases for them since Wonder Boy was only up for maybe a minute or two before selling out on both occasions. With Ys and Night Trap coming up, I wonder just how quickly those will sell out.

Nah people telling LRG is definitely way more annoying because it's the same dumb requests every single time even though LRG gives very clear explanations why they can't.

These dudes fucking took a mortgage out on their house to get this company started. Easy for people here to say "hey just print 10k copies!" when they've got absolutely nothing on the line. If they can't sell the extra copies these people keep clamoring for, are these same people going to mortgage their houses to cover the losses?

SMD

Nah people telling LRG is definitely way more annoying because it's the same dumb requests every single time even though LRG gives very clear explanations why they can't.

These dudes fucking took a mortgage out on their house to get this company started. Easy for people here to say "hey just print 10k copies!" when they've got absolutely nothing on the line. If they can't sell the extra copies these people keep clamoring for, are these same people going to mortgage their houses to cover the losses?

If only there was some way of gauging interest, like ordering before the print run is made?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
XAuuA5Gl.png
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/894211909125320705

Good luck.

zeopower6

It's been a while though. They can help streamline things to make them less punishing on the consumers who aren't there in the first minutes of release. They don't HAVE to print 10,000 copies, but they can do something else. There's things like Shopify locking people out of ordering and so on that can probably be dealt with. I think the issue is that high profile releases will go super fast, so they may want to test out a preorder system for the bigger titles (that you pay for upfront?) so that a) they don't overprint and b) they don't have people stuck in crappy scenarios like this one where if you were not around at the right time, you didn't get a copy.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I think the issue is that high profile releases will go super fast, so they may want to test out a preorder system for the bigger titles (that you pay for upfront?) so that a) they don't overprint and b) they don't have people stuck in crappy scenarios like this one where if you were not around at the right time, you didn't get a copy.

They tried this already and it went over VERY VERY badly...

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Was it Skullgirls? It sounds like that one had issues beyond LRG's control.

Regardless, they said they didn't want to do it again after that, due to all of the pissed off people. Whether it was something out of their control, LRG seemed to have gotten most of the flack :/

zeopower6

Regardless, they said they didn't want to do it again after that, due to all of the pissed off people. Whether it was something out of their control, LRG seemed to have gotten most of the flack :/

Unfortunate that it had to happen. I think it was a horrid choice to do the preorders with because of all the net stuff involved and other parties to deal with on top of just the developer.

What was the problem with Skullgirls again?

I know it's taken a while to get to this point but just (genuinely) wondering what was the main hurdle with pre-ordering + payment upfront?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
What was the problem with Skullgirls again?

I know it's taken a while to get to this point but just (genuinely) wondering what was the main hurdle with pre-ordering + payment upfront?

To sum it up: delays. In Skullgirls' case, they added more stuff into the game, as it was kind of like a Kickstarter stretch goal. This took longer than expected, so delays happened. I'm not sure why in this particular case the delay caused so many people in an uproar, because Crowdfunded games and Gaijinworks special printed games always come with delays. Maybe I'm used to it by now that things come up and can happen, but Skullgirls customers were not forgiving :/

emb

From what I've read it seems like they're worried about dissatisfied customers, given the bulk of complaints and questions Skull Girls gets.

SG also sounds like it was a bit of special case though, in the the game was not completely finished/certified before they decided to take preorders. None the less, I think LRG has said that they'll never do preorders again because of a variety of things that can go wrong just before printing copies.

Semoreh

There was a drop in Lawbreakers today !
Only 184 standard editions left. And 83 collector editions.

I guess that will soon be another successful run ? :eek:

What was the problem with Skullgirls again
About the delays...? It was a few things.

First, licensing the Japanese voiceovers wound up being a much slower and more painful process than expected. Then an international partner demanded additional testing/bug fixes (mostly around lobby stuff), which dragged on for several rounds and, again, took much longer than expected. They made sure that any issues with international releases wouldn't impact the physical release. Then when the patches were submitted to Sony, new bugs were found that needed to be addressed (far more on the Vita side of the world than the PS4). There was a strong desire from everyone involved for the physical release to represent the final, definitive version of the game -- no downloading patches! -- so the prolonged back/forth with bug fixes slowed down the process.

None of those issues were on LRG's side, but they wound up bearing the brunt of the blowback, with their customer support and social media channels flooded with requests for updates. Lab Zero did a poor job providing regular updates about the situation. It felt like I had to actively monitor/search social media to find out what was going on. LRG also thought they could've sold more copies through their usual method. Preorders lack that same sense of urgency, and it also opens themselves up to situations like this where delays (whether it's from a developer or production delays from Sony) rankle their customer base.

Olengie

About the delays...? It was a few things.

First, licensing the Japanese voiceovers wound up being a much slower and more painful process than expected. Then an international partner demanded additional testing/bug fixes (mostly around lobby stuff), which dragged on for several rounds and, again, took much longer than expected. They made sure that any issues with international releases wouldn't impact the physical release. Then when the patches were submitted to Sony, new bugs were found that needed to be addressed (far more on the Vita side of the world than the PS4). There was a strong desire from everyone involved for the physical release to represent the final, definitive version of the game -- no downloading patches! -- so the prolonged back/forth with bug fixes slowed down the process.

None of those issues were on LRG's side, but they wound up bearing the brunt of the blowback, with their customer support and social media channels flooded with requests for updates. Lab Zero did a poor job providing regular updates about the situation. It felt like I had to actively monitor/search social media to find out what was going on. LRG also thought they could've sold more copies through their usual method. Preorders lack that same sense of urgency, and it also opens themselves up to situations like this where delays (whether it's from a developer or production delays from Sony) rankle their customer base.
Pretty sure LRG also got a bunch of requests for refunds and chargebacks despite them saying again and again that it paid for the production of the items to the exact amount and giving back the money would only result in a deficit or something like that?

zeopower6

I don't think they'd ever 'sold' or printed as many copies as they did preorders for SG though. How many would they have printed then if they didn't go for preorders? :/

I think a lot of the people complaining during that period (and now) had no idea about what they were getting and were surprised when it wasn't immediately sent to them after a short amount of time. Kind of ridiculous really. Like people who were illiterate and in a rush to complain would ask "WHERE IS IT" even after an update was sent out just hours beforehand.

It was quite possibly the worst choice for the first game to do via preorders because of all the other parties involved. Not as simple as these upcoming titles would be or for that matter basically any other title LRG has released.

Olengie

I don't think they'd ever 'sold' or printed as many copies as they did preorders for SG though. How many would they have printed then if they didn't go for preorders? :/

I think a lot of the people complaining during that period (and now) had no idea about what they were getting and were surprised when it wasn't immediately sent to them after a short amount of time. Kind of ridiculous really. Like people who were illiterate and in a rush to complain would ask "WHERE IS IT" even after an update was sent out just hours beforehand.

It was quite possibly the worst choice for the first game to do via preorders because of all the other parties involved. Not as simple as these upcoming titles would be or for that matter basically any other title LRG has released.

Saw Pre Order. I expected to wait a while. Not like I've waited for something before. Some people were just incredibly impatient, as if they've never preordered something before that got delayed...multiple times.

zeopower6

What hurt that the most was probably the lack of transparency until later on from Lab Zero. Delays are rather common but it seemed like just about everything that could've gone a bit off track DID for that release.

joe2187

Banned
I've missed every LRG release since mid july by mere seconds, this has never been an issue before what the hell changed with the system?

Tapejara

I've missed every LRG release since mid july by mere seconds, this has never been an issue before what the hell changed with the system?

IIRC they changed the way the system handles items in your cart. Previously if you put an item in your cart it would hold the item for a small period of time so you could check out, but a system change now makes it so items are no longer held. If you pay with a service like PayPal and have to wait for two factor authentication you're at a disadvantage compared to people using a faster checkout option.

Olengie

IIRC they changed the way the system handles items in your cart. Previously if you put an item in your cart it would hold the item for a small period of time so you could check out, but a system change now makes it so items are no longer held. If you pay with a service like PayPal and have to wait for two factor authentication you're at a disadvantage compared to people using a faster checkout option.

changed since January

It's disappointing that LRG continues to use Skull Girls as the litmus test for not doing preorders when they've technically already offered preorders indirectly via Kickstarter for games like Battle Princess Madelyn and Mages of Mystralia.

Personally, I think most gamers would be perfectly fine waiting for 2 or 3 months -- as long as there was a clear shipping window -- as opposed to scrambling to fight over a limited amount of bundles for these high profile releases.

Of course, this assumes the game is ready to manufacture.

Spinoff90

With the last few releases some people have been getting signed out of PayPal while trying to checkout after doing that as they usually do. That is what sparked the discussion about using Amazon Payments instead.

Tapejara

Probably dont notice it until a highly demanded release comes by, like WB

Yeah, definitely; I wasn't aware it was a thing until Dariusburst PS4 came out. It was my first purchase in a while, so I assumed the change was more recent than January.

Semoreh

I'm kinda bummed out that Night Trap is releasing this week and we still have no idea how to redeem the Loyalty Program cover / game.

With how long it will take to ship tickets from Europe, and then receive the reward, we probably won't see it before October-November.

Speaking of last minute, aren't we supposed to be getting a second Japanese game on the 25th with Ys? That still hasn't been revealed yet?

They haven't revealed Ys' cover either. This is important information for which version I buy :p

Olengie

Speaking of last minute, aren't we supposed to be getting a second Japanese game on the 25th with Ys? That still hasn't been revealed yet?

They haven't revealed Ys' cover either. This is important information for which version I buy :p

Nope. Im still waiting. Maybe this week?

I'm kinda bummed out that Night Trap is releasing this week and we still have no idea how to redeem the Loyalty Program cover / game.

With how long it will take to ship tickets from Europe, and then receive the reward, we probably won't see it before October-November.
Typical LRG messaging then

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm gonna be really sad if I can't get a copy of Night Trap. It would be my 8th purchase through LRG and it is by far the one I am most interested in.

Top Bottom