• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
really am bummed about all the folks here that missed that tiny window, silver liming being: how great does lizardcube have to feel right now?

they took an all-time SMS classic - beloved by some, but so many metroidvania fans never got to experience, because me and like a few dozen kids stateside had an SMS when our parents didn't know the difference - and absolutely raised the bar on remakes here. everything looked & sounded amazing/stayed spiritually true, and you could swap for OG (and FM!) music or graphics on the fly.

2017 has been an amazing year for gaming & this is still near the top of my list, can't wait to see what lizardcube does next
I was lucky my older brother bought the SMS with his summer job money. My parents then bought me the NES that Christmas.

Wereroku

Maybe I'm getting old but can't find another LE besides LRG for Wonder Boy anywhere on the interwebz. Searched google, play-asia, nothing. Would appreciate it if someone gave out some links to the other LEs that exist for Wonder Boy besides the one from LRG.

PS: Good luck everyone with Night Trap :p

It's a Korean version sold exclusively in Korea but it seems to be sold out as well. If you do an image search using the picture posted a few pages back you can find the listing.

Semoreh

Jesus. I ordered from Fangamer an Undertale CE and the artbook they suggested.
I just received a shipping confirmation from them and they're sending me...the frigging artbook. Alone. With their DHL transporter ! Why didn't they wait and send me both at the same time ?!
I swear if I end up paying a stupid "handling fee" twice I'll explode ! :((

takoyaki

Maybe I'm getting old but can't find another LE besides LRG for Wonder Boy anywhere on the interwebz. Searched google, play-asia, nothing. Would appreciate it if someone gave out some links to the other LEs that exist for Wonder Boy besides the one from LRG.

PS: Good luck everyone with Night Trap :p

Did a quick google search after missing out on the first batch earlier today, the Korean LE seems to be sold out already at places that ship internationally (this seller still has 36 units in stock but doesn't ship internationally. [edit: judging by the price, there's a chance the seller listed the normal edition with LE images, I don't speak Korean]). There might be more stock in the future, regularly check this page if you're interested:

http://gsearch.gmarket.co.kr/Listview/Search?keyword=드래곤즈 트랩

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So I've contacted them about the extra copy I got in my order because I don't want them thinking I was trying to be dodgy.

edit. Seems lots of people encountered the issue I did and ended up with multiple copies instead of 1. They've posted on Twitter that they're going through the orders to reclaim the extra ones. Which means I'll lose 1 of my standard copies. I was kinda hoping they'd let me keep the 2 standards and take back my LE copy, I never really wanted the LE. I wanted 1 standard for me and one for my brother. Not interested in the poster, cards and soundtrack.

IrishNinja

I was lucky my older brother bought the SMS with his summer job money. My parents then bought me the NES that Christmas.

aw man, you had a dope childhood! I was the weirdo who had the SMS and rented games to play on friend's NES, haha

Fuzzy

aw man, you had a dope childhood! I was the weirdo who had the SMS and rented games to play on friend's NES, haha
Only one other kid had an SMS in my school so we'd trade games. Two of my cousins had one also. Hell, my cousin had a PC Engine also.

I wanted Wonderboy (woke up early) but at the last minute decided to hang back and witness the blood baths. At least there's an Asian version, but I dunno what I'll do for games like YIIK and VA11-HALLA if they sell out in 1-2 minutes like that. VA11-HALLA especially seems like it would be pretty popular.

I wanted Wonderboy (woke up early) but at the last minute decided to hang back and witness the blood baths. At least there's an Asian version, but I dunno what I'll do for games like YIIK and VA11-HALLA if they sell out in 1-2 minutes like that. VA11-HALLA especially seems like it would be pretty popular.

If I miss Night trap I'd probably have to Ebay it...

Fortunately got what I wanted today.

mr lurtle

So Lili in two weeks gets an additional limited (as opposed to?) edition and the 15$ extra only get you a slipcover and a 24 page art book?

LiK

I'm banking on that game being some kind of surprise hit.

It's going to overtake Overwatch and become the next TF2, with a 10 year lifespan.

I'm honestly thinking it won't go OW numbers. It doesn't have the family-friendly designs and presentation. But who knows.

Everyone really wants Lawbreakers to fail...
I don't want it to fail. It's just a game not for me, and considering what the game is, I really don't understand the demand for a physical limited release. (I've heard arguments, so when I say I don't understand, that doesn't mean I haven't heard the argument)

Although several copies of both LawBreakers editions are still live (10:30 P.M. EST), the countdown clocks on the front page have updated to reflect the next round for The Bunker and Night Trap coming next Friday.

If you're still holding out hope for a North American copy, LRG claims about 100-200 mixture of standalone standard and collector's editions will be made available tomorrow as well. These are being pulled from orders that failed to adhere to the quantity limit restrictions. I've added a small note underneath them to reference the "English/Chinese Subtitle" version of Wonder Boy from Play-Asia as an alternative for those seeking a physical copy with care for region branding. I've additionally attached a footnote system for the collections to reference whether a title has either a cover art variant, soundtrack bundle, collector's edition, physical alternative in the English language outside of Limited Run. Please feel free to send a PM with any suggestions that'll continue to make the OP more informative for fellow gamers out in the wild!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Although several copies of both LawBreakers editions are still live (10:30 P.M. EST), the countdown clocks on the front page have updated to reflect the next round for The Bunker and Night Trap coming next Friday.

If you're still holding out hope for a North American copy, LRG claims about 100-200 mixture of standalone standards and collector's editions will be made available tomorrow as well. These are being pulled from orders that failed to adhere to the quantity limit restrictions. I've added a small note underneath them to reference the "English/Chinese Subtitle" version of Wonder Boy from Play-Asia as an alternative for those seeking a physical copy with care for region branding. I've additionally attached a footnote system for the collections to reference whether a title has either a cover art variant, soundtrack bundle, collector's edition, physical alternative in the English language outside of Limited Run. Please feel free to send a PM with any suggestions that'll continue to make the OP more informative for fellow gamers out in the wild!

Oh neat, maybe I'll just pick that up whenever Gintama and GuP Asia are released.
The SMS-like cover is a big part of the appeal of this version though. lol

Saoshyant

At 77% remaining inventory for the LawBreakers CE, it's hard to deny that this was a misfire for LRG. There's just 2500 of those things, but the public doesn't seem interested at all in it. The standard version limited at 5000 copies is outselling it and its stock is currently at 34%.

Impressions of the game have all been rather good from what I've read, so I imagine that the standard version will sell out at some point by Tuesday or so, following similar trends of other games that have failed to sell out more than 70% on their second batch's day. The CE situation though is worrisome.

Bummed I missed Wonder Boy, but at least there's the Asian physical release to fall back on.

Not really looking forward to the F5'ing stress of trying to get a copy of Night Trap next week. D:

I'm banking on that game being some kind of surprise hit.

It's going to overtake Overwatch and become the next TF2, with a 10 year lifespan.
I almost spit out my drink

At 77% remaining inventory for the LawBreakers CE, it's hard to deny that this was a misfire for LRG. There's just 2500 of those things, but the public doesn't seem interested at all in it. The standard version limited at 5000 copies is outselling it and its stock is currently at 34%.

Impressions of the game have all been rather good from what I've read, so I imagine that the standard version will sell out at some point by Tuesday or so, following similar trends of other games that have failed to sell out more than 70% on their second batch's day. The CE situation though is worrisome.
Idk what you have been reading but impressions are lackluster as best. Game was boring and generic

hawk2025

I would have bought it, but I ended up getting the PC one a month ago thinking it included both versions :(

zeopower6

Everyone really wants Lawbreakers to fail...

It's just a very obvious thing that it isn't doing so hot.

Contrast Lawbreakers having basically all their copies available still while Wonder Boy sold out within minutes on both occasions :/

eXistor

Shipping to where? Also were you shipping a lot of held games too?
Netherlands. It's always been €15, even for the first batch of Wonderboy, it came to a total of $79.99, but then the stock was depleted. When I git one with the second batch, the shipping costs were $22 and it said Heavy package or something like that. I haven't looked into it yet, just got out of bed.

LQX

I think for the first time we will see a game not sell out. If that LawBreakers CE sells out I will be shocked. Reviews will have to be really impressive come release I think. It really should not be sold this way. For game they want to sort of compete with Overwatch it seems very odd not to have full retail release on sites like Amazon and BestBuy.

Semoreh

I too agree the situation for Lawbreaker CE is worrisome but I want to correct something. There is NOT 75% left. There is : 75% of the second batch of the CE alone left. That represents 372 units, or 15% of the whole run.

It probably won't sell out for a while but that 75% figure makes it look like a disaster when it really is not that awful. If I were LRG I'd edit this percentage to better reflect what's left. :)

(similarly there are 13.5% of the standard edition left, not 25%.
Interestingly that means the standard edition wasn't sold out during the first batch, I think it's a first ? Normally 25% of the second batch (1/3 of the run) should be 8.25%)

I can only speak to myself, but I do wonder what the floor is for these types of physical releases. I mean, who is going to buy something regardless of quality or, you know, the entire purpose of having a physical release. Maybe Lawbreakers will be that floor. Maybe something else. Who knows? Maybe they should do my joke mockup of Ghostbusters 2016 to finally see what that floor would be!

Semoreh

I can only speak to myself, but I do wonder what the floor is for these types of physical releases. I mean, who is going to buy something regardless of quality or, you know, the entire purpose of having a physical release. Maybe Lawbreakers will be that floor. Maybe something else. Who knows? Maybe they should do my joke mockup of Ghostbusters 2016 to finally see what that floor would be!

To be fair a lot of people bought Overwatch physical. The game will be playable for a while still.
Also some people buy physical PC games that need activation on Steam. That seems useless but it's actually a way to install the game faster when you have a shitty connections. Maybe it's also the case here ?
Plenty of small reasons I guess.

AniHawk

Let's compare company sizes/production runs between the two...

production run is pretty good on the cost of goods side for a thing like this. honestly if it is just manufacturing + assembly, they could have charged $15 extra tops, and made a pretty good profit. what is a bit harder to figure out is whether or not they have to pay a royalty rate, or if they had to essentially purchase the soundtrack wholesale. especially if it was the latter, it could have blown up the costs by a lot.

It's just a very obvious thing that it isn't doing so hot.

Contrast Lawbreakers having basically all their copies available still while Wonder Boy sold out within minutes on both occasions :/

Lawbreakers is a kind of game that does not need a physical copy, its purely an online shooter. Already limited by its servers lifetime.

Best to be kept on the HDD always available for a couple quick games.

bock

Comparing EastAsia/Play-Asia & LRG package? East Asia/Play-Asia wins hands down ...for $35 you get audio CD/nice packaging/game ...but LRG has more titles out ...and were probably paying for that doing business American markup

I am the developer of Wonder Boy and believe it or not this is the first time I see this Asian LE advert/picture that Nachtfalke posted. ARC kept us in the dark, though they just gave us 1 copy of the LE (I have it in my hands). It was sold in Korea, 500 copies afaik, and sold out. I myself would like to buy more for the team. The regular Asian release don't have reversible cover. Curiously on the reversible cover LE the color of the front cover are a little off (but not on the regular edition).

The Asian soundtrack is only the first CD vs LRG has 2 CD with 56 bonus tracks and a nice standalone packaging for the soundtrack. And I can honestly say the whole packaging/mouse pads of the ARC aren't amazing quality. BUT the back cover of the Asian LE is superb IMHO. The mouse pads we wanted another design they refused it and made their own. They didn't include the complete soundtrack with bonus presumably because it wouldn't fit in the bluray box. Generally speaking I'd say the LRG packages are much nicer (we made them) and they also have a manual which the Asian versions don't have. Also the LRG build is our main-PS-product-id so if we push small patches/improvements (we may) the LRG version will benefit from them.

Thanks to LRG for making this happen. I realize some people are unhappy they couldn't get it, but this wouldn't have existed at all without them.

True, but the Asia LE costs alot less. I wouldnt compare them. Different editions for different prices.

It will be more interesting to see what the Ys Origin LE from LRG looks like in comparison to the asian one. They have similar content and probably a similar price.

Also i3allistic was comparing the "standard" editions from LRG and Play-Asia/eastasiasoft. It's true that you get more for your money with their release for various reasons. But they are different games, so nobody misses out anything. When they do offer the same games though, and iirc this will happen with Ghost Blade HD in the future (correct me if I'm wrong), things will getting more interesting.

And there is also Signature Games. They offer a similar packaging like the Play-Asia/eastasiasoft releases. I get why people suggest LRG could offer more fore the price, and I don't think trading cards are the solution. Got my first one today and earnestly, I even prefer the old postcards. But that's just me.

bock

Yeah perhaps there's confusion because I am only talking about Wonder Boy and I don't know anything about Ys.

For the regular version of Wonder Boy, my own feeling is that the +$5 of LRG version (compared to Asian) are well worth it considering it has a reversible cover, unique art on front, and a manual.

Occam

I am the developer of Wonder Boy and believe it or not this is the first time I see this Asian LE advert/picture that Nachtfalke posted. ARC kept us in the dark, though they just gave us 1 copy of the LE (I have it in my hands). It was sold in Korea, 500 copies afaik, and sold out. I myself would like to buy more for the team. The regular Asian release don't have reversible cover. Curiously on the reversible cover LE the color of the front cover are a little off (but not on the regular edition).

The Asian soundtrack is only the first CD vs LRG has 2 CD with 56 bonus tracks and a nice standalone packaging for the soundtrack. And I can honestly say the whole packaging/mouse pads of the ARC aren't amazing quality. BUT the back cover of the Asian LE is superb IMHO. The mouse pads we wanted another design they refused it and made their own. They didn't include the complete soundtrack with bonus presumably because it wouldn't fit in the bluray box. Generally speaking I'd say the LRG packages are much nicer (we made them) and they also have a manual which the Asian versions don't have. Also the LRG build is our main-PS-product-id so if we push small patches/improvements (we may) the LRG version will benefit from them.

Thanks to LRG for making this happen. I realize some people are unhappy they couldn't get it, but this wouldn't have existed at all without them.

I wish you had talked with them and asked to have more made. This was no surprise at all, people predicted this outcome long ago. Looking forward to playing your game!

-

The same is going to happen with Night Trap (and presumably Y's), when once again LRG purposely won't have enough stock to meet demand.

bock

I wish you had talked with them and asked to made more. This was no surprise at all, people predicted this outcome long ago. Looking forward to playing your game!

I think at this point _everyone_ wish we had made more :) but it's always easier to do prediction after the facts. The reality is that we never know how successful a game can be and the market is very harsh. Personally I had no say in the numbers (it was between DotEmu and LRG) if you asked me I would have requested one million copies.

Fuzzy

Is LRG selling the remaining inventory (a few hundred copies) of Wonder Boy today? I read this somewhere.
JMH4cNyl.png
https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/893601712447029250

Yeah perhaps there's confusion because I am only talking about Wonder Boy and I don't know anything about Ys.

For the regular version of Wonder Boy, my own feeling is that the +$5 of LRG version (compared to Asian) are well worth it considering it has a reversible cover, unique art on front, and a manual.

I agree, but it's nice to see that people have an alternative here. If you really care about the game and the game beeing on a disc, an import won't stop you.

Top Bottom