• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

Olengie

Im glad I skipped Night's Trap. But I understand the salt since I missed Wonderboy last time but managed to get it with the 3rd restock.

Had they not teased a potential Vita release, I would've tried to get it. And would've most likely not get it either. LOL

Justinh

Check out the Completed Listings on Ebay:

There are already nearly 100 completed listings, most with prices well above $100.

Yeah... I was just looking at that. Those all can't be on the level, right?

I mean, this quickly? I think I saw come CEs for 3 hundo...

BBboy20

I agree however I am sure they will "but Skullgirls" until the end of time. Issue is they don't want to be on the hook to a dev for a guaranteed minimum payout if the game goes bomba. So much of their public comment about why they do or do not do things is about their capitalization. They need games to sell-out or they are done. They can't shop around to rebuild their website because they lack the liquidity to do so. They obviously don't actually have a problem with pre-orders. They've hitched their wagon to extreme delayed delivery through Kickstarters several times. But with the Kickstarters they've insulated themselves from chargeback risk. That has to be a real tempting deal for crowdfunding devs. Hook your wagon to LRG which may drive funding over the finish line in exchange for giving them a chunk of cash now insulated from chargeback now.
So...use this as a sticky every time a similar problem crops up in the future?

What gets me is I just searched for Night Trap listings on ebayUK and one literally sold out for double the price as I clicked to see the listing. Ballpark price on even the standard edition is currently £100 ($130).

Just annoys me as someone who was on time and ready to buy. Scalpers selling these games for double on a "pre-order" basis as soon as they list them just adds salt to the wound.

EDIT: 5 UK listings and 22 US listings in the last hour...

This whole thing has been incredibly disappointing. I was ready at 3pm on the dot to buy this game. I had the website loaded and my paypal in another tab. Since it was announced I was eagerly awaiting this release, telling friends and jumping in on the hype threads about owning this "classic". Don't care about the value or money, but that this game has such an interesting history and I've been fascinated by it since the AVGN segment on this game. It's the kind of game I appreciate. So then when it comes to the moment it goes on sale, I refresh the product page I've been watching for over a week and then:
Wut?

It bothers me so much that this can happen because then I'm spent looking around for what happened. Only made worse by the fact that even when you go to the games webpage it didn't display the CE...no idea why a game wouldn't display there. Then 3 minutes later

So it's been changed to only be available from the main page? If this was a concert/amazon deal where people had been sitting there on product pages waiting for the timer to turn 00:00:00 to then refresh the page and get 404'd, that'd would be a huge disaster for ticketmaster/amazon.

A huge let down. Very disappointed.

Wait a minute, Ys Origins is next week right? Have we even seen what the CE looks like or what it will have?

Is there an asia english Collectors Edition too? Only have seen the standard asia english version for PS4 and vita.

Wouldn't mind to buy the Asia version, especially if there is also a collector's edition. Limited Run has become way to much stressful to buy at. When I want a game from there, I just think "Nah, I probably won't be able to get it anyway, but cool if I do"
So I'm not too disappointed, if I'm to slow.

They better make enough standard and especially collectors editions.

I mean, it's mother-fucking-Ys!
It will be a massacre.

Kanashimi

I stayed up all night to ensure I got the first batch (it was 7 AM for me, I work super late). I slept too long for the second so I missed The Bunker. Oh well, based on my experiences today, even though I got the Night Trap CE I'm not sure I really want to move forward giving this service more money. I think the concept of what they're doing is great, but I don't think any business should have this many pissed off people.

While I can't claim to know the logistics of it, looking into second-run prints or higher count certainly seems needed (based on this thread it sounds like Night Trap is not an isolated case). Even analyzing a reserve or pre-order system; granted, I realize they tried the latter with an unfinished game.

Mzo

The whole reason a chunk of their customers want the games is that other people can't have them. When that's part of the point, there's not much that can be done.

Keep in mind the same speculators will ignore a well-stocked release. They've also tried open preorders to very little success. This isn't about the games themselves at all.

I'm looking to buy a used Octodad to play, but that's hyper-rare. There are like a hundred sealed ones up on eBay, though. That tells you all you need to know.

edit - don't be mad at the scalpers, be mad at the idiots that buy from them. They're the real problem and they're ridiculously plentiful in video games.

Is there an asia english Collectors Edition too? Only have seen the standard asia english version for PS4 and vita.

Wouldn't mind to buy the Asia version, especially if there is also a collector's edition. Limited Run has become way to much stressful to buy at. When I want a game from there, I just think "Nah, I probably won't be able to get it anyway, but cool if I do"
So I'm not too disappointed, if I'm to slow.

They better make enough standard and especially collectors editions.

I mean, it's mother-fucking-Ys!
It will be a massacre.

There is a CE for SEA, but the info on it seems to be all over the place. There's some saying it has English language and others saying it does not. We also don't even know what will be in the LRG CE yet.

As for the standard edition, I really would not worry about it, as both LRG and multiple import sites have it on sale.

There is a CE for SEA, but the info on it seems to be all over the place. There's some saying it has English language and others saying it does not. We also don't even know what will be in the LRG CE yet.

As for the standard edition, I really would not worry about it, as both LRG and multiple import sites have it on sale.

I see. Thank you.
Yeah, getting a standard edition won't be a problem, if you don't mind getting the asia english release.

But i would love to get the Collectors Edition, because i have all the others (Chronicles, Oath in Felghana, Seven, Celceta and soon Ys 8)

Hope we will get better information soon.

The whole reason a chunk of their customers want the games is that other people can't have them. When that's part of the point, there's not much that can be done.
Is this really true though?

Yes, the limited aspect motivates people to order quickly and decisively where they otherwise may not have.

But if they increased those numbers and more people got the games, I certainly wouldn't mind.

I wouldn't care if they did second print runs either.

Obviously, none of us here are insiders and we don't REALLY know the logistics of LRG's business - so I imagine it probably gets tiring for them to hear "increase your print run" when stuff like that is probably a financial tightrope, but I do think there has to be a happy medium somewhere.

edit - don't be mad at the scalpers, be mad at the idiots that buy from them. They're the real problem and they're ridiculously plentiful in video games.

People buying from scalpers aren't the problem. Scalpers aren't the problem. A business failing to meet demand by a significant margin is the problem. When Nintendo can't get NES Classics or Switches out the door they are taken to task. When airlines over book because they underestimate demand they are taken to task. We understand that Limited Run Games is a small business but the operative word is business.

EmiPrime

I didn't even try this time, no point getting disappointed again. I shouldn't have to disable my Paypal 2FA to stand a chance of being able to buy a video game.

Beamerjld

Neo Member
Only about 120 Standard/CE's are listed or have sold on US ebay, thats just over 1% of the total run. Just to keep things in perspective.

Semoreh

Maybe it was Oddworld? Point is that they don't seem to be scaling in correlation to interest in their products, especially since their games have the attention of resellers and scalpers. This game is already on eBay.

That was 5000 on PS4 and 2500 on Vita so nope.

Also the game is on eBay... 27 if Lazlo is to be believed. 100 completed listings says Hawk. That's actually not so much, I'm really inclined to think the vast majority of the demand remains natural (I may be wrong).

But I mostly agree with you that they haven't scaled up enough on their high profile games.

The_Kid

Only about 120 Standard/CE's are listed or have sold on US ebay, thats just over 1% of the total run. Just to keep things in perspective.

I mean, it's only been a couple hours. Some of these games don't even arrive to people for another 3 weeks at least. More will be going up.

hawk2025

100 **completed** listing around or well above $100, only one HOUR after the main sales are done, is not much??

It's an absolutely staggering number.

These are all pre-sales! No one has the game yet!

Price was set at $30/$55, and the market has cleared 100 copies at $100/$150+. That's an incredible amount of surplus extracted by scalpers right off the bat.

Credo

Play it. You'll be pleasantly surprised. I love it.

I think I got lucky since I used a card and not PayPal. One screen, one go.

Oh I definitely intend to play it. I understand the collector mentality, but I just can't have a game and let it sit sealed forever.

Beamerjld

Neo Member
100 **completed** listing around or well above $100, only one HOUR after the main sales are done, is not much??

These are all pre-sales! No one has the game yet!

Price was set at $30/$55, and the market has cleared 100 copies at $100/$150+. That's an incredible amount of surplus extracted by scalpers right off the bat.

These professional flippers always seem to list their pre-orders for high dollar items immediately (think SNES classic preorders that went live in Europe), It doesn't matter that the items not in hand, as long as the item will ship within 30 days, ebay allows it. I wouldn't call 1% staggering, just my opinion.

Semoreh

Of course people are jumping on it after missing it today. It will slow down a lot after that initial burst, I reckon.
Again, I may be wrong, but I don't like jumping at conclusions. That would be super interesting if someone could track the figures overtime !

Metzhara

This whole thing has been incredibly disappointing. I was ready at 3pm on the dot to buy this game. I had the website loaded and my paypal in another tab. Since it was announced I was eagerly awaiting this release, telling friends and jumping in on the hype threads about owning this "classic". Don't care about the value or money, but that this game has such an interesting history and I've been fascinated by it since the AVGN segment on this game. It's the kind of game I appreciate. So then when it comes to the moment it goes on sale, I refresh the product page I've been watching for over a week and then:
Wut?

It bothers me so much that this can happen because then I'm spent looking around for what happened. Only made worse by the fact that even when you go to the games webpage it didn't display the CE...no idea why a game wouldn't display there. Then 3 minutes later

So it's been changed to only be available from the main page? If this was a concert/amazon deal where people had been sitting there on product pages waiting for the timer to turn 00:00:00 to then refresh the page and get 404'd, that'd would be a huge disaster for ticketmaster/amazon.

A huge let down. Very disappointed.

Yeah I got up early to this (I'm on West Coast) and it sucked. Then I have a job where I'm staffing a project and I couldn't even make it to attempt this at all. Mind you, I'm frustrated in part because of everything you stated as I fell victim to it as well, as well as the idea that I had to resort to this method cause all of the people who bought this up couldn't have backed the original Kickstarter which would have made this a moot point. Fun times.

People buying from scalpers aren't the problem. Scalpers aren't the problem. A business failing to meet demand by a significant margin is the problem. When Nintendo can't get NES Classics or Switches out the door they are taken to task. When airlines over book because they underestimate demand they are taken to task. We understand that Limited Run Games is a small business but the operative word is business.

No. All 3 are part of the problem.
Businesses who do not properly meet demand create an avenue to invite in those who would exploit or look to take advantage of that situation.
The scalpers then are the problem because societally we somehow think this isn't an affront to being "Human" when it's quite clearly animalistic behavior which at the worst deconstructs societies and at the very best does nothing to advance societies. Don't believe that, then why were so many up in arms when medicines had prices raised? Wants and needs don't change a scumbag's interaction with exploitation.
And then there are the enablers, who make this whole thing work. Truth is while they do have some responsibility, they are the LAST group to blame due to the fact content wouldn't even be around without them to have the demand in the first place. The worst part of this process, the part that stings the most, the part that people get upset about, is the advantageous exploit over the backs of people who's wants allow it to exist at all. The only solution is to love nothing.
While deliberately expressed in an overly dramatic way, it is accurate in that scalpers are the stepping stones into the mired puddle that is the portions of humanity that just never tried to walk on their own. Too much salt today.

Skulldead

Ys, during my vacation ?, with no internet ? Somebody want to help to get it ? haha this will be insane price after market i'll have to pay........

Weevilone

I've run a significant sized business for several years. How do I get my credentials vetted so I am certified to provide constructive criticism in the thread?

I missed the afternoon session, anxious to see read how it went.

Also, I call poser on anyone that bought the CE but has no way to play a cassette tape.

i-Jest

Ys, during my vacation ?, with no internet ? Somebody want to help to get it ? haha this will be insane price after market i'll have to pay........

At least you have Heavy Arms as an option.

Yeah... I was just looking at that. Those all can't be on the level, right?

I mean, this quickly? I think I saw come CEs for 3 hundo...

Only the truly desperate will validate those prices in their heads.

Latest updates toward the OP (08/11/17):
-- Clocks for the upcoming release of N++ and Lili next Friday (08/18) have been tacked onto the top!
-- Officials links under the head banner have been expanded with FAQ, Buying Guide, Support and Holding Orders pages.
-- Collection footnote for variant covers has been changed from asterisk to note for formating purposes.
-- Collection footnotes for competing English releases have been hyperlinked toward outside sources when applicable in acknowledgment of their existence while offer an alternative to LRG. If links eat into the text cap too much, I will adjust them as necessary.
-- Quantity counts have been added next to the collector's edition footnotes.
EDIT: -- As a side note, Special Reserve Games has stated the initial print for Shadow Warrior 2 will begin shipping on August 23rd for those that ordered directly through them.

If there's any other suggests, please feel free to send a PM when you got a chance! Thanks!

Any idea when LRG will be selling their Shadow Warrior 2 variant?

Bummed I missed out on the SRG version after learning it has the first game on disc and LRG won't, but I'd still like to own some version of the game.

Weevilone

I managed to get the CE. Not sure what a cassette tape is, my dad has VHS player, would that work?

not sure if serious.gif

The craziest thing for me at this point is that they aren't taking preorders, but they are like a month behind on shipping anything. We're like 1 degree of Bacon away, but without any of the benefits.

Darknight

These professional flippers always seem to list their pre-orders for high dollar items immediately (think SNES classic preorders that went live in Europe), It doesn't matter that the items not in hand, as long as the item will ship within 30 days, ebay allows it. I wouldn't call 1% staggering, just my opinion.

How does that work anyways? I dont recall LRG sending out games as soon as the sale went. It always feel like I get the games 1 month+ later. I mean I do not know how those Ebay sellers can guarantee a 30 day turn around. Seems risky.

shanafan

Has anyone had success with canceling an order from LRG? Their website says all sales are final, but I don't know, seems like cancelling an order should be a function of their business.

LQX

Nope, they basically told me to go fuck myself when I tried. Damn game did not even ship until a week or so later.

Cancelling before a game ships should absolutely be an option, especially if it is requested within a day or two but I'm sure some will come up with number of reasons why it is good thing we as customers should not be able to cancel a purchase that has not entered the shipping process.

Weevilone

Good luck. They accidentally double shipped me 3 games, and they said they'd charge me for them if I don't return them. Now I'm waiting for a shipping label.

Nope, they basically told me to go fuck myself when I tried. Damn game did not even ship until a week or so later.

Cancelling before a game ships should absolutely be an option, especially if it is requested within a day or two but I'm sure some will come up with number of reasons why it is good thing we as customers should not be able to cancel a purchase that has not entered the shipping process.

It's back to their margins. If stuff doesn't sell out immediately this whole operation goes toes up. They are banking the number of customers who would file a chargeback being manageable enough that a processor doesn't either terminate a relationship or impose a collateral requirement. And that customers would be spooked by any ban they might incur for issuing a chargeback. Let's say LRG refuses to refund you today and nine months from now sells your favorite game ever? Do you want to banned? Probably not. So you'll eat the unwanted purchaee.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I was interested in Night Trap, but was working during both stocks. Now no way I'm gonna buy it from a reseller. Also makes me less interested in LMG in general.

NDPsycho

No wonder Josh and Doug don't come around all that often, what a cesspool of negativity. It's the same shit every release, this is how their business works, why keep rehashing the same stuff every other week? They're not changing it for a couple of vocal complainers on gaf or twitter. They don't need to, they sell out, it's working. Generations of participation trophies at work here where nobody seems capable of handling disappointment with any fucking composure.

They're a business, vote with your wallet, though given that they sell out without your purchase, I doubt it will get you very far. These complaints and suggestions should be detailed in the OP with the reasons LRG has given for how they do things and maybe this thread can get back to being more informational like it was intended.

I got it on sale on Steam but never played it. Has average reviews. More like a collectathon. I really like the cover for the physical but I might pass on that.

I'm with you, doesn't look like my kind of game either, which is ok. Just hoping to grab a copy of Y's. It would be nice to start getting some future dates or titles coming soon.

Top Bottom