• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games |OT2| Sweet XOXO for Digital to Physical Media

LiK

They need to up the quantities especially for well known classics, I guess. Seeing this shit sell out fast and immediately end up on eBay is pretty frustrating.

neonglow

PayPal decided it'd be a good idea to log me out just as I got into checkout! :D I missed my chance for the CE, and then I missed my chance for the regular. I'm fucking pissed goodbye

I had that happen last week trying to get the CE and failing and ended up with neither.

I just went with the regular this time.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I assume the new strat is to log into PayPal a minute before it goes live.

Here's the thing, though. I logged into Paypal 10 minutes before the game went live.

Game went live, I tried to buy, it said I was logged out of Paypal.

I switched over to the tab where I had my Paypal profile page and I was logged in there. I reloaded that page to see if it would give me a new login screen, but nope, it just reloaded the profile page, happily saying "Hi again!"

So I was logged into Paypal. The error screen I was getting during checkout was wrong.

eXistor

I really wanted this one too, I bought Night Trap for Mega CD back in the day (still have it btw), loved it in its own cheesy, shitty way. I have legit nostalgia for that game and I wanted to relive it in higher "quality" especially seeing as my Mega CD doesn't work anymore. I won't do digital, I just won't: it's completely worthless in my eyes. But man, that's one hole in my collection that;s never getting filled I guess, I'm sure as fuck not giving in to scalpers. Sorry if I seem angry, it's cuz I am.

Got the Collector's Edition with the afternoon batch. I am super glad to have done so but still bought a regular this morning when I thought the CE was impossible. Getting the CE makes me no less disappointed in the experience. I wonder how many people who bought the CE ended up paying a $30 "well if I can't get the CE I will get this" tax. I'd wager more than a handful.

SOME-MIST

Tried and missed both...

Man........

Definitely not paying more than the LRG price, so those scalpers can Fuck off.

Looks like I'm buying it digitally.

bozeman

It's time for these 2 to step their game up and improve their business or for someone else to see their proof of concept and improve it and put them out of business.

Semoreh

The thing is : people have trained themselves to shop lightning fast now. I used to think that I'd never miss a game because I was super efficient (copying/pasting my credit card number before it was cool ^^), but from now on I'll have to assume there's a critical mass of trained shoppers out there, and nothing is guaranteed even if you're fast.

That's a rather depressing thought, I hope I'm wrong :x

That's why I'll only focus on the fact I managed to grab a Night Trap tonight \o/

mosaic

go eat paint
I really hate the term "leaving money on the table" because it's usually really over used without understanding why things are the way they are, but in this case, it's definitely leaving money on the table.

Marty, you know I'm all about business management and accounting these days... And I swear LRG has been an awesome yet horrifying case study to watch. Too much focus on the now, too little on the future. I feel like they don't have a growth plan or a contingency for when Sony stops being nicey nice. I like the concept, but it's a train wreck.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, eBay is already filling up with Night Trap CE listings for $150+ and auctions for the standard edition reaching $100.

Semoreh

It's time for these 2 to step their game up and improve their business or for someone else to see their proof of concept and improve it and put them out of business.

Oh, by the way : you stated earlier there were 10 000 shadow complex printed. There were actually only 6900. That was less than the total number of Wonder Boy / Night Trap printed, so you can't deduce they've been "stepping down their game" from these figures.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The thing is : people have trained themselves to shop lightning fast now. I used to think that I'd never miss a game because I was super efficient (copying/pasting my credit card number before it was cool ^^), but from now on I'll have to assume there's a critical mass of trained shoppers out there, and nothing is guaranteed even if you're fast.

That's a rather depressing thought, I hope I'm wrong :x

That's why I'll only focus on the fact I managed to grab a Night Trap tonight o/

It stinks that we can't best robots :/ Can't be fast enough with people husstling.

Or abandoning it altogether.

Unrelated to LRG transactions, I've had nothing but issues with PayPal in 2017. I keep running into stupid shit like random time outs during a transaction, or a surprise request to update billing, shipping, or credit card information because that's what came off the roulette wheel of surprise mother fucker that day.

I understand that it might not be an option for some, but I've abandoned using them for anything other than purchases that aren't time sensitive, or money exchanges with individuals.

but I thought paypal was supposed to be the faster, more foolproof way to get these games

so what the fuck?

Was it because we refreshed our PayPal login, but kept our LRG account logged on?

It's the only other combo I could think of

milkham

I missed it this morning because I woke up late, and missed it this evening cuz i was reading that miles prower thread on gaf :(

Well my story is that I got a copy of CE in the basket then as my PayPal was confirming the payment, it sold out so it declined.
Then I went back for the regular edition and that was gone too.

I'm get these things happen though but I was so on point ready to get one earlier on but they changed the purchase page. I feel really let down by sudden change.

sarcoa

Oh, by the way : you stated earlier there were 10 000 shadow complex printed. There were actually only 6900. That was less than the total number of Wonder Boy / Night Trap printed, so you can't deduce they've been "stepping down their game" from these figures.
I don't know the split but there were also a significant number of Shadow Complex copies set aside for Epic employees.

Semoreh

It stinks that we can't best robots :/ Can't be fast enough with people husstling.

Do you really think there are so many people using robots to buy from LRG ? :|
I wouldn't know how to do it.

I don't know the split but there were a significant number of Shadow Complex copies set aside for Epic employees.

6900 was indeed the quantity sold online, but it doesn't change the fact that the quantity available to us was inferior to Wonder Boy's and Night Trap's prints :)
Even if, to be fair : it wasn't split into two SKUs then (CE and Standard), so people couldn't purchase 3 at a time when it's theoretically possible these days (2 standard and 1 CE)

I got the email saying that my order went through! I'm getting the Night Trap PS4 Collector's Edition!!! I'm so happy and actually pretty tired from all that stress!

But to be honest that was a serious hastle and it shouldn't have been that hard. I missed getting it on the first batch and I was really mad so I don't know what I would have done had I miss the second one too. But apparently lots of people here had the unfortunate situation happen to them which really sucks.

Judging by all the posts in this thread there seems to have been a problem with PayPal. Which is really weird cause I used PayPal and even though there was this long loading screen of redirecting me to PayPal site I still manage to get the order which I honestly thought I had lost.

This is the second time I've ordered from LRG and actually having it succeed. My first time was with the Shantae games. Which I'm still super glad that I got. But now I'm really worried about next week when Ys comes.

I think after I try to get the PS4 Collector's Edition for Ys then I'm going to take a break from LRG.
list of gaffers who got their wish on the second batch?
Me! But I feel really bad about it now when I read about just how unfair it was for others.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I just refreshed the Night Trap CE page and it says 1 left!?
Gone :|

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Do you really think there are so many people using robots to buy from LRG ? :|
I wouldn't know how to do it.

I have no idea myself, but one person can have many bots, I'm sure.

In Night Trap's case specifically, I'm sure it was the documentary that did it and gave the title more exposure.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I had been wondering why the tone of LRG's twitter account had started to sound borderline hostile and this thread helps explain it. Something's gotta give

Most people do this but - as the LRG brand has grown - it really has been a lottery in terms of who gets what.

When the demand is high enough to have something sell out in under a minute flat then you're at the mercy of any little thing (esp when the print run is 1000-2000 units). Like a lot of others, it's starting to make me question if it's even worth supporting them in the future.

Marty, you know I'm all about business management and accounting these days... And I swear LRG has been an awesome yet horrifying case study to watch. Too much focus on the now, too little on the future. I feel like they don't have a growth plan or a contingency for when Sony stops being nicey nice. I like the concept, but it's a train wreck.

Ya, I agree. Early on, it was understandable because they were new, but now I feel like they should have learned from early mistakes and improved on it. The only thing it seems like they're doing is increasing their number of releases to grow the company but at the same time really misreading consumer demand.

LRG's web store is so bush league.

I am done with LRG. No more exceptions.

I agree. I'm pretty much done. I'll count the ce of dariusburst as good fortune and cut my time. It's not worth the effort trying to work around work, to pull off an order.

Would have been nice, but it's not like there aren't digital versions available.

Based on the comments across the board today I think I must be the luckiest person alive. I logged into the website on my cell phone over regular LTE. Refreshed at 9am cst and got my regular PS4 copy. Used Paypal. Pretty simple when it goes well. But I understand the frustration if it's basically random who gets through the line.

I only have like 6 LRT games but I've gotten every one I've tried for. Firewatch, Oxenfree, Broken Age, Dear Esther and now Night Trap.

Take orders first, then they produce them. They dont go into any record saying only x amount will be made.

Ya, I think they need to relook at this. I understand why they don't do preorders, but I think it's different when everything is ready to go and now you're just placing a locked in order. Put orders up for a day, or maybe the weekend, and then it's done. That way everyone has a chance, and they print as needed. You get your game shipped to you in a few weeks. Everyone just accepts it's a locked in order and it'll get sent after it's manufactured. They've already strayed from instant shipping anyway. At least experiment with a title and see how it goes.

They allocate per time zone using access codes.

Technically, people can share the codes tho. But they ask not to.

That seems complicated. How do you figure out how many to allocate per time zone?

mollipen

I totally spaced on the second batch until it was too late, but in a way, it made my decision easier. I really want Night Trap on Vita, not PS4, but was wondering if I should just break down and get the console version in case Vita doesn't happen. Now, I'll just hope that it does and wait.

I totally spaced on the second batch until it was too late, but in a way, it made my decision easier. I really want Night Trap on Vita, not PS4, but was wondering if I should just break down and get the console version in case Vita doesn't happen. Now, I'll just hope that it does and wait.

I can't imagine it'll ever come to the Vita.

bozeman

Maybe it was Oddworld? Point is that they don't seem to be scaling in correlation to interest in their products, especially since their games have the attention of resellers and scalpers. This game is already on eBay.

What gets me is I just searched for Night Trap listings on ebayUK and one literally sold out for double the price as I clicked to see the listing. Ballpark price on even the standard edition is currently £100 ($130).

Just annoys me as someone who was on time and ready to buy. Scalpers selling these games for double on a "pre-order" basis as soon as they list them just adds salt to the wound.

EDIT: 5 UK listings and 22 US listings in the last hour...

Ya, I think they need to relook at this. I understand why they don't do preorders, but I think it's different when everything is ready to go and now you're just placing a locked in order. Put orders up for a day, or maybe the weekend, and then it's done. That way everyone has a chance, and they print as needed. You get your game shipped to you in a few weeks. Everyone just accepts it's a locked in order and it'll get sent after it's manufactured. They've already strayed from instant shipping anyway. At least experiment with a title and see how it goes.

I agree however I am sure they will "but Skullgirls" until the end of time. Issue is they don't want to be on the hook to a dev for a guaranteed minimum payout if the game goes bomba. So much of their public comment about why they do or do not do things is about their capitalization. They need games to sell-out or they are done. They can't shop around to rebuild their website because they lack the liquidity to do so. They obviously don't actually have a problem with pre-orders. They've hitched their wagon to extreme delayed delivery through Kickstarters several times. But with the Kickstarters they've insulated themselves from chargeback risk. That has to be a real tempting deal for crowdfunding devs. Hook your wagon to LRG which may drive funding over the finish line in exchange for giving them a chunk of cash now insulated from chargeback now.

What gets me is I just searched for Night Trap listings on ebayUK and one literally sold out for double the price as I clicked to see the listing. Ballpark price on even the standard edition is currently £100 ($130).

Just annoys me as someone who was on time and ready to buy. Scalpers selling these games for double on a "pre-order" basis as soon as they list them just adds salt to the wound.

EDIT: 5 UK listings and 22 US listings in the last hour...

Yeah, the ones closer to ticket price also sold out within minutes of the first run this morning.

Top Bottom