• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linux GAF |OT| Keep calm and pacman -Syu

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I've always wondered about Linux. How does one get started?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've always wondered about Linux. How does one get started?
For sure do some research on the basics of Linux. Unbuntu is probably the easiest Linux distro to get into. Lots of hits on google for when you encounter issues as well. There are other flavors of Linux that are also suitable for beginners, Linux Mint as an example. I was always drawn over to OpenSUSE back when I daily drove a Linux desktop. That was like 15 years ago and I haven't dabbled much since then so my knowledge of current distros is limited.

I'd recommend starting with a remote install (from SD card or portable HD) and just kind of go from there.

Zeroing

Banned
For sure do some research on the basics of Linux. Unbuntu is probably the easiest Linux distro to get into. Lots of hits on google for when you encounter issues as well. There are other flavors of Linux that are also suitable for beginners, Linux Mint as an example. I was always drawn over to OpenSUSE back when I daily drove a Linux desktop. That was like 15 years ago and I haven't dabbled much since then so my knowledge of current distros is limited.

I'd recommend starting with a remote install (from SD card or portable HD) and just kind of go from there.
Elementary OS is the most friendly UI Linux distro right now in my opinion. Specially for beginners also Google launched Chrome OS for everyone… maybe those are good starting points.

I remember using Linux for the first time with Debian and it was quite an impact! I felt like a hacker needing to use terminal almost all the time lol

Top Bottom