• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

jayb

TheSeks said:
You're asking before the game's officially out man, you might want to wait until Wednesday at the latest before asking again.

I was hoping one of the beta experts would know.

Teknoman

jayb said:
I was hoping one of the beta experts would know.

Honestly I couldnt figure that out myself. You'd think it would be similar to changing an object's material...but I had to redo the theme I created with different instruments just to see which fit the best.

Btw, can you stretch any of the guitar instruments (besides the bass) to hold a note in retail? You couldnt do that in beta, even with the non-plucked versions.

jayb

Teknoman said:
Honestly I couldnt figure that out myself. You'd think it would be similar to changing an object's material...but I had to redo the theme I created with different instruments just to see which fit the best.

Yeah, I was hoping it would be like changing material too. Or having that be a simple option in the instrument tweak menu.

Leaving out a way to easily change it seems like a big oversight, IMO. That's a very basic feature in normal sequencers/trackers.

Teknoman said:
Btw, can you stretch any of the guitar instruments (besides the bass) to hold a note in retail? You couldnt do that in beta, even with the non-plucked versions.

yeah, but it seems to be a little buggy. Sometimes I'm able to stretch the 'distorted' and 'power chord' guitars to make it hold. Yet other times it'll just sound a short eighth note, even though I have it stretched for a whole measure. Fixes either involve deleting the note and placing a new one, or changing the timbre back and forth until it starts holding correctly.

When it is working, the max it'll hold no matter how far it's stretched is 2-3 measures. But I would consider that expect results for a guitar.

Teknoman

Thats better than in the beta. Hopefully there will be a patch to fix that soon. I know we're probably going to be busy snagging all the story mode items, but still.

jayb said:
does anyone know how to change an instrument's sound after you have it sequenced? I have something down, but don't like the sound of the instrument I've chosen.

Hopefully I don't have to completely re-do the track just to change the instrument.
You just place another instrument on top of the one that's sequenced and it will keep the notes.

Teknoman

donkey show said:
You just place another instrument on top of the one that's sequenced and it will keep the notes.

Wait, so that basically replaces the instrument instead of playing both at the same time? I cant believe I never tried that...

Mik2121

Damn... here I am stuck in Japan with my US version of LBP where I unlocked everything and for which I bought a ton of DLC, now hoping I can grab the US version of LBP2 as soon as it gets released.. which won't happen, probably.

So now either I get it via Play-Asia but probably a couple days later, or I go every single day to this store at 15 mins by walk from my house where they get imported games usually pretty early.. (but it's so damn cold outside I don't wanna make a thousand trips there to see if they got it, and I just called them now and they said they still don't know when will they be getting it).

:(

Stampy

Mik2121 said:
Damn... here I am stuck in Japan with my US version of LBP where I unlocked everything and for which I bought a ton of DLC, now hoping I can grab the US version of LBP2 as soon as it gets released.. which won't happen, probably.

So now either I get it via Play-Asia but probably a couple days later, or I go every single day to this store at 15 mins by walk from my house where they get imported games usually pretty early.. (but it's so damn cold outside I don't wanna make a thousand trips there to see if they got it, and I just called them now and they said they still don't know when will they be getting it).

:(

I am in the same situation here. I have to wait for the US version also to be shipped.

jayb

donkey show said:

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I wish they would have mentioned that in the tutorial (unless I just missed it).

I'll try it out next time I'm on.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can't believe it's only 2 days away. I'm very excited about this. Wish I had it now, though, just give it to me now dammit.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
sarcoa said:
Last night we captured direct feed 720p video from Avalon's Advanced Armament's Acadamy, maybe half way through the game and the first Controlinator level. It's about ten minutes and embedded in the center of my review.

http://digitalchumps.com/game-reviews/35-ps3/6845-littlebigplanet-2.html

Apologies for our god awful play but I kept encouraging my friend (who had previously played zero LittleBigPlanet) to go wild with the Contrilnator creatures. :D
Nice review first and foremost. I have to criticise your decision to say the game is too deep as part of your presentation bulletpoint "negative". I think without this looking robotic like a PC flight simulator or build it yourself megagame, they did as good a job as they could have. They have all the popit tools and everthing themed to their game. Otherwise solid review, not because you praised it so either.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
And when you said that you were scoring it or keeping it from higher plains for the hopes of users making levels - you should know by now that the players delivered amazing results with the tools in LBP1. You bet your ass that there will be amazing creations with these tools. You should not have put that in your text. Don't knock it down or blantantly say you are when the chances of users creating amazing things are already taking place if you were in the beta. Anyways, good review, really :)

Sorry for the DP but the PS3 won't let me fit all this in 1 post for some reason.

Vaux

im getting less frustrated with the grappling hooks now after i spend some time with it, but sill having trouble getting connected to other people.

sarcoa

LiquidMetal14 said:
And when you said that you were scoring it or keeping it from higher plains for the hopes of users making levels - you should know by now that the players delivered amazing results with the tools in LBP1. You bet your ass that there will be amazing creations with these tools. You should not have put that in your text. Don't knock it down or blantantly say you are when the chances of users creating amazing things are already taking place if you were in the beta. Anyways, good review, really :)
a) thank you for reading the text. It's always nice when someone takes the time

b) I wasn't in the beta, but that wasn't a knock against player levels as much I was trying (and failing :/ ) to declare them unscoreable. I know there are going to be dozens of amazing levels and hundreds of good ones, but I went back and forth and concluded it was crazy to attach a score to something I hadn't objectively played yet. I put a grade on potential, not what that potential might produce (or at least that's how I made sense of it).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So, my fellow LBP fans, what are your plans for your first level? I was working on a great cat based level in LBP1, I might go back to that, but I'm also thinking about doing a LBP recreation of HBO's The Wire. I'm gonna do my damndest to make something decent, hopefully I can remember the basics from my time with LBP1's create mode.

seady

I really want to see some actual pic of the Collector's Edition… is there any out there? What is the bookend made of and how's the quality of the sackboy?

Dug

Banned
seady said:
I really want to see some actual pic of the Collector's Edition… is there any out there? What is the bookend made of and how's the quality of the sackboy?
The bookend is made out of cardboard...dunno about the rest.

sinxtanx

Snuggler said:
So, my fellow LBP fans, what are your plans for your first level? I was working on a great cat based level in LBP1, I might go back to that, but I'm also thinking about doing a LBP recreation of HBO's The Wire. I'm gonna do my damndest to make something decent, hopefully I can remember the basics from my time with LBP1's create mode.
I'm gonna do a lounge where people can chill, maybe play some cards.

GothPunk

Are any of IrishGAF going to the LBP2 event next Saturday in Dublin? I believe it is invite only. The invite I got says "meet some of the developers of LittleBigPlanet, ask them questions and improve your LittleBigPlanet gameplay and 'create' skills." I wonder who from Media Molecule will be there?

Teknoman

Snuggler said:

Since I usually try to create a series of stages...trying to decided between a normal platforming series, side scrolling action/RPG, survival horror, classic castlevania style semi-shooter, an alien invasion 50's style B movie series, or one of two shooting high action series (futuristic cops or Contra/Bionic Commando style). The problem is, I dont know which one I want to start with.

I think that was my problem in LBP1, trying to create multiple series stages at once, rather than focus on one set at a time...which is even worse now that I have all these ideas in my head.

Snuggler said:

Iam working on one big game between one or two little levels :) now i can really set my own gameplay im going to run with some ideas.

im just thinking what to do with my LBP1 levels should I take them down and have a clean start for LBP2?

Teknoman

jump_button said:
Iam working on one big game between one or two little levels :) now i can really set my own gameplay im going to run with some ideas.

im just thinking what to do with my LBP1 levels should I take them down and have a clean start for LBP2?

Either that or remake them using LBP2 materials/adjustments?

Snuggler said:

I drew a picture of my first idea....

8PG3d.png

jump_button said:

dont take them down, i love your levels. why would you take them down?

Teknoman

sarcoa said:
Render's complete! Here's the rest of our footage, a sackbot level:

Bang for Buck Part 1 (4:51)
Bang for Buck Part 2 (6:32)

Nice, they made the grabinator look like an actual gadget rather than just make the hands big.

autobzooty said:
I drew a picture of my first idea....

*Sketch shot*

Glad i'm not the only one who draws their ideas out first :D I know jump does as well...anyone else sketch boss or stage theme/layouts before creating?

netguy503

If I ordered from Amazon with release day shipping I will get it most likely from UPS, right? Will UPS leave a package on my doorstep or will they most likely not? I ordered the collectors edition but I just got called in to work for all day Tuesday but I want the UPS/mail person to just leave it on my doorstep (the walkway to the door is gated and the neighborhood is very peaceful so I'm not worried about anyone stealing it). Will they do it if I sign something telling them to do so?

God, I hope Amazon gets this out to us on Monday as that day I will be around home the whole day. :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
netguy503 said:
If I ordered from Amazon with release day shipping I will get it most likely from UPS, right? Will UPS leave a package on my doorstep or will they most likely not? I ordered the collectors edition but I just got called in to work for all day Tuesday but I want the UPS/mail person to just leave it on my doorstep (the walkway to the door is gated and the neighborhood is very peaceful so I'm not worried about anyone stealing it). Will they do it if I sign something telling them to do so?

I never have to sign for mine. Usually they just stick it between the screen door and regular door. No need to sign. Send me your address and I'll go over to there to, uh...keep it safe.

Teknoman

From my experience with UPS:

A.) They'll arrive between noon-3pm and everything will work out great.
B.) They'll just drop the package on your porch after knocking once
C.) They wont show up at all and you'll have to complain to the main UPS center about how you've been at home all day, and no one knocked on the door or even left an info notice, yet they left an "attempted to deliver" notice on the online tracking site.

anddo0

Depending on the driver they'll come as late as 6pm. It's because their inconsistency why I don't order games online anymore.

netguy503

Snuggler said:
I never have to sign for mine. Usually they just stick it between the screen door and regular door. No need to sign. Send me your address and I'll go over to there to, uh...keep it safe.

and "other things" amIrite? :)

Thanks for the replies guys. I just would hate to log into the PSN when I come home that night (yea, when I come home it should be updated) and see all the LBP2 content you KNOW they will have on launch day and me without my game I paid $80 bucks for.

Still hoping it comes tomorrow though. *knocks on wood* :)

Anyone want to do a LBP1 story level speedrun today? I'd really appreciate it. I need to get all the prize bubbles in story (for the third time, damn YLOD) so I will have everything that can transfer over to LBP2. Thanks.

Ranger X

jump_button said:

What the hell? Media Molecule gives you 20 levels slot for LBP1 and you would free them for what? Besides, that's bad when we want to replay your great stuff.

anddo0 said:
Depending on the driver they'll come as late as 6pm. It's because their inconsistency why I don't order games online anymore.
and how many packages they have to drop off that day. the earliest they've come for me was 10am. latest would be at 4-6pm.

EDIT: Started up LBP1. realized i already got all the prize bubbles. just need to ace all the the remaining levels.

netguy503

DMPrince said:
and how many packages they have to drop off that day. the earliest they've come for me was 10pm. latest would be at 4-6pm.

EDIT: Started up LBP1. realized i already got all the prize bubbles. just need to ace all the the remaining levels.

Um, don't you have that backwards- earliest is 10pm. You mean latest?

Reply to your edit: since you have all the prize bubbles can you join me in a game as you probably have all the switch triggers which would make the game super easy for us. Are you on right now? My psn ID is: Netguy503. Just tell me when you want to play.

Any other takers so we can do the 4x challenges as well? It would be a big help guys.

netguy503 said:

Reply to your edit: since you have all the prize bubbles can you join me in a game as you probably have all the switch triggers which would make the game super easy for us. Are you on right now? My psn ID is: Netguy503. Just tell me when you want to play.

Any other takers so we can do the 4x challenges as well? It would be a big help guys.
oh. lol. i meant am xD

I'll play after i eat.

RagnarokX

netguy503 said:

I already have 100% and could help if you need it. ArgorokX is my PSNID

Teknoman

netguy503 said:
ok is DM on? Teknoman is on so that is 4 if everyone is ready right now. Let's do this. :)

Sorry about that Net, didnt see the message and was just checking out the split screen mode in RE5 then about to sit down for dinner.

Also since people are posting ideas:

2gvlyfo.jpg

I can finally make something like this work.

Also boss ideas for that side scrolling RPG I hope I can translate to the game:

10yme8l.jpg

1fze34.jpg

Dug

Banned
Teknoman said:
Sorry about that Net, didnt see the message and was just checking out the split screen mode in RE5 then about to sit down for dinner.

Also since people are posting ideas:

I can finally make something like this work.

Also boss ideas for that side scrolling RPG I hope I can translate to the game:
Nice drawings! :)

P.S.: Was your username always Teknoman? Because I could have sworn it was something else...

Teknoman said:
Glad i'm not the only one who draws their ideas out first :D I know jump does as well...anyone else sketch boss or stage theme/layouts before creating?

yeah, it's totally necessary. i have "schematics" for contraptions drawn out on a whole 'nother page, but it's hard to design levels until I actually know what's possible in LBP2. i'm excited to sink my teeth in.

I love story mode. The levels and bosses are so well done. I'm having a lot of fun with the game so far, can't wait until Wednesday to play online with GayGAF. :)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Can't find this mentioned, but does anyone know what the bookends are made out of in the LBP2 CE version?

Teknoman said:
Nice, they made the grabinator look like an actual gadget rather than just make the hands big.

Yeah but I think it's not for the best. I create these ideas and on paper, I'm in love. But translating them in create mode never worked out the way I wanted them to. So I'd always have partially finished ideas just sitting on my moon never to be finished or published. Hopefully I get a better grasp of LBP2's create mode and maybe I'll return to those ideas. For now, my first idea is going to be a cliche zombie game but it's a game I've recently been wanting to play.

Top Bottom