• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

Dug

Banned
Kagari said:
Can't find this mentioned, but does anyone know what the bookends are made out of in the LBP2 CE version?
I believe someone from Sony said it was made out of cardboard.

cardboard.png

Kagari said:
Can't find this mentioned, but does anyone know what the bookends are made out of in the LBP2 CE version?
I think it was mentioned earlier that they're some hardcore cardboard.

Oh yeah, first 500 at the NYC Sony Style store who get their game get it signed by Mm.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
This now has a $20 credit on Amazon (along with Mass Effect 2 PS3). Standard version only.

Teknoman

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Yeah but I think it's not for the best. I create these ideas and on paper, I'm in love. But translating them in create mode never worked out the way I wanted them to. So I'd always have partially finished ideas just sitting on my moon never to be finished or published. Hopefully I get a better grasp of LBP2's create mode and maybe I'll return to those ideas. For now, my first idea is going to be a cliche zombie game but it's a game I've recently been wanting to play.

Well I only draw out enemy designs for a rough idea of what I want to make or small stage areas if I have an idea pop into my head. Cant draw entire stage layouts because I can never translate them to scale properly.

Also a cliche zombie game done right with nice atmosphere is always fun, so I say go for it. It'll probably be good to get a grip on sackbot mechanics and camera angles.

xelios said:
This now has a $20 credit on Amazon (along with Mass Effect 2 PS3). Standard version only.

They should've done that long time ago :(

xelios

Teknoman said:
They should've done that long time ago :(

They're probably only doing it because of Best Buy's B2G1 sale this week. For a while it looked like there was no hope of a credit.

Dug said:
Why not the Collectors edition too?

Dunno, but I'm keeping an eye out before my order for the standard edition is shipped.

Vaux said:
im getting less frustrated with the grappling hooks now after i spend some time with it, but sill having trouble getting connected to other people.

I'm really disappointed that Media Molecule failed to fix the biggest problem with the original game...it's all just far too floaty, including the grappling, but particularly the jumping.

I love the world, the open tools for the community, the massive amount of additional levels and now gametypes everyone creates, the cuteness of it all, and the beautiful graphics. Sadly, I won't be picking the game up however, because if the feel of the control and the gameplay aren't right at the heart of the game, everything else is just pretty ribbons and bows.

Couldn't one of the developers at MM just bring in a copy of NSMB:Wii or DKCR from home and just ape (pun intended) the feel of them? How difficult is that?

Teknoman

Well you could only play stages made by people who use Sackbots as characters...or have adjusted the stage gravity to be more/less floaty. But that would probably take awhile.

Having played through a lot of the story mode today, I didnt have that much of an issue with it since the level design is so much better than the first.

xelios

Just wanted to add some people are reporting success getting Amazon to give the $20 credit toward the CE as well through chat/phone.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
donkey show said:
Having played through a lot of the story mode today, I didnt have that much of an issue with it since the level design is so much better than the first.

Agree. And also there is so much gameplay variety in there, I hardly recall any platforming past the Da Vinci stages :D

TTP said:
Agree. And also there is so much gameplay variety in there, I hardly recall any platforming past the Da Vinci stages :D
Yup. People will be surprised how much it genre switches. Space camels, son.

Teknoman

mclem said:
Isn't there something akin to this in, of all places, Contra 3?

donkey show said:
That's obviously where he's getting his inspiration from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMKWvBSZJCst=2m41s

Exactly :D Second part of stage 4 from Contra 3. Was going to make the missile swinging the intro to the stage (starting with a cutscene where the helicopter dodges two missles and then hovers so the players can jump out and platform across the rest towards the base. A homage of sorts). Inside the airship itself, tons of shooting/platforming action. The boss fight is supposed to take place on the roof against a 4 legged robot.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DMPrince said:
ugly sackboy.

NO UR UGLY. :mad:

Good, plushie looks like quality and the bookends are just a bonus.

Iampleasedsackboy.jpg

TheSeks said:
NO UR UGLY. :mad:

Good, plushie looks like quality and the bookends are just a bonus.

Iampleasedsackboy.jpg
You're really just paying $20 for a great Gonzo costume and they threw in a bunch of other stuff they had lying around.

TheSeks

BobTheFork said:
You're really just paying $20 for a great Gonzo costume and they threw in a bunch of other stuff they had lying around.

I'm paying $20 for Gonzo AND the plushie.

So $10 for each.

george_us

pixel monkey said:
I'm really disappointed that Media Molecule failed to fix the biggest problem with the original game...it's all just far too floaty, including the grappling, but particularly the jumping.

I love the world, the open tools for the community, the massive amount of additional levels and now gametypes everyone creates, the cuteness of it all, and the beautiful graphics. Sadly, I won't be picking the game up however, because if the feel of the control and the gameplay aren't right at the heart of the game, everything else is just pretty ribbons and bows.

Couldn't one of the developers at MM just bring in a copy of NSMB:Wii or DKCR from home and just ape (pun intended) the feel of them? How difficult is that?
This is also the main reason this isn't a day one for me. I LOVE everything about the LBP world but the core mechanics just leave something to be desired for me. At the very least I would of wished Sackboy could jump higher.

V_Ben

Banned
Hell with you guys getting that awesome CE. My local game retailer over here in the UK doesn't have the CE (Blockbuster), so I'm stuck gonzo-less :(

netguy503

kitchenmotors said:
I love story mode. The levels and bosses are so well done. I'm having a lot of fun with the game so far, can't wait until Wednesday to play online with GayGAF. :)

Do I even have you on my friend's list?

TheSeks

I'm sure they'll sell Gonzo in six months.

Do I even have you on my friend's list?

You saying you're GayGAF? :eek:

Also thanks for helping M and I with the 4x bubbles. 82% of the prize bubbles in LBP1 now. Just have to complete the levels and ace them. But the hard part is over.

V_Ben

Banned
TheSeks said:
I'm sure they'll sell Gonzo in six months.

Yeah, probably :(

(Also, I could have sworn that the SCEE guy on the EU PSBlog said that the CE would be the same price as the normal edition... it's more expensive :/ )

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BTW, I like how they made extra race games and mini-games more "meaningful" this time around by having prize bubbles in them as a reward for achieving different scores. Very clever.

TheSeks

TTP said:
BTW, I like how they made extra race games and mini-games more "meaningful" this time around by having prize bubbles in them as a reward for achieving different scores. Very clever.

Ugh. Well, at least there's some value in them now, though I don't really like that method. :/

george_us said:
This is also the main reason this isn't a day one for me. I LOVE everything about the LBP world but the core mechanics just leave something to be desired for me. At the very least I would of wished Sackboy could jump higher.

It's just so damned frustrating because I adore the LBP world. The aesthetic is just so appealing and it screams pick me up and squeeze me!

But when I do...I'm left feeling like I'm playing an underwater Mario level whether I'm in the water or not and without the splendid swimming mechanic.

TheSeks

TTP said:
What's wrong with it?

I don't really want to have to torture myself in the mini-games for 100%, but maybe the requirements for the mini-game won't be as crazy as the VR survival score trophy was for the MGS pack.

Damn, the CE is even less valuable to me now. I already have 2 plushies that this one seems to be a copy of and Gonzo will probably come with an entire muppets pack down the line that I'll gladly spend my money on.

TheSeks said:
I don't really want to have to torture myself in the mini-games for 100%, but maybe the requirements for the mini-game won't be as crazy as the VR survival score trophy was for the MGS pack.

But that particular mini-game was fun as hell with multiple people playing when you're all trying to get the trophy.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheSeks said:

Nah, much easier than that. Unlocked most of the prizes on my second try.

mclem

TheSeks said:

I assume it's the mechanic at the end of the tower level in the LBP2 demo, so you could at least use that to get an idea of how demanding it'll be.

Sorry about crashing right at the end. Got a bit stressed immediately afterwards; LBP was refusing to boot for a while, kept giving an error message (80010541, if I remember correctly). Didn't work again until I took the disk out, gave it an Extra Hard Stare, and put it in again.

Given all the things on the web about that code... let's just hope it's a one-off.

Ranger X

TTP said:

You're fucking kidding me. Now I will have to care for those filler levels... :(

By the way I hope there is less 3 players and 4 players zone now. Did you guys encountered any?

Wowie at the Amazon deal. I'm stuck wondering if I should get LBP + ME2 at half off (Kmart) or use my $70 Amazon credit to get LBP for nothing and have something like $30 in credit left over (to Killzone 3), waiting for ME2 to decline in price and buying it later.

Being a gamer is difficult sometimes.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ranger X said:
You're fucking kidding me. Now I will have to care for those filler levels... :(

By the way I hope there is less 3 players and 4 players zone now. Did you guys encountered any?

I don't recall 4X areas. Just a few 2X ones. I think I saw an area that required "2X or 3X". Haven't entered any since I played solo.

Don't be mad about the mini-games thing. Games are fun and as a compensation you can get the tools tutorial prizes rightaway without actually going through the tutorials. You can freely walk to the exit point, get your stuff and move on to the next one while the guy is still speaking. :)

I also believe there are less prizes to get in the tutorials. While going through them at some point I began getting empty bubbles in tutorials I have never visited before. I think prizes are not specific to each tutorials. Like there are, say, 30 prizes to get overall, and you get 5 of them in each tutorial you visit, no matter which one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
jonnybryce said:
Wowie at the Amazon deal. I'm stuck wondering if I should get LBP + ME2 at half off (Kmart) or use my $70 Amazon credit to get LBP for nothing and have something like $30 in credit left over (to Killzone 3), waiting for ME2 to decline in price and buying it later.

Being a gamer is difficult sometimes.

I am using the 20 for KZ3 as well. And if that game gets some credit, I will use that on Motorstorm.

Ok, before I pull the trigger - I'm not crazy for wanting LBP2 for the single player story mode and to play levels people have made, right? I'm not going to be playing with friends much and I don't see myself making levels (I'll give it a shot I suppose). Will I be doing it wrong?

AndyD said:
I am using the 20 for KZ3 as well. And if that game gets some credit, I will use that on Motorstorm.

lol same. Gotta love Amazon. These credits help out a lot (so does their trade in program).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jonnybryce said:
Ok, before I pull the trigger - I'm not crazy for wanting LBP2 for the single player story mode and to play levels people have made, right? I'm not going to be playing with friends much and I don't see myself making levels (I'll give it a shot I suppose). Will I be doing it wrong?

You'll be doing alright.

AndyD

aka andydumi
jonnybryce said:

lol same. Gotta love Amazon. These credits help out a lot (so does their trade in program).

Not at all. 90% of my time with the first was in usermade levels and coop with PSN friends and strangers.

I am terrible at creating. I may have the right ideas, but not the time or creativity to sit and make.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Karram said:
Am I the only one who can't find a release date delivery option when pre-ordering the game from Amazon ?

It was automatically selected for me last week. Maybe its too late?

They ship tomorrow for it to arrive Tuesday. Also sometimes you have to buy, then go back into shipping options and change it.

mik

mik is unbeatable
It's still listed for the 99¢ release-date delivery option, but it never shows up in the cart. Lame.

Top Bottom