• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Odd question, might have been answered way way back but how do trophies work? More to the point: can you unlock LBP1 trophies in LBP2?

I'm guessing the two profiles are linked so if I complete DLC trophies in LBP2 do they unlock the next time I launch LBP1 or do they spaz out and become un-attainable?

darkwing

kinoki said:
Odd question, might have been answered way way back but how do trophies work? More to the point: can you unlock LBP1 trophies in LBP2?

I'm guessing the two profiles are linked so if I complete DLC trophies in LBP2 do they unlock the next time I launch LBP1 or do they spaz out and become un-attainable?

you must play LBP1 to get LBP1 trophies

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Not sure if posted already by MM twitted the temporary solution to the Earth-stuck-in-Pod bug:

BUG BUSTERS: Big craft earth stuck in your Pod? Quit game, log out of PSN, restart game, log back into PSN.
http://twitter.com/#!/mediamolecule/status/27664182543392768

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
darkwing said:
you must play LBP1 to get LBP1 trophies

Well, du'h! But, say since I never put much effort into LPB1 but intend to do so with 2 and 50 people heart me. If I log back into 1 will those hearts then be transfered and thus unlocking the trophy? I'm guessing it will, but I'm also putting one down for spazzing out and making the trophy unattainable.

mclem

Eaten By A Grue said:
Weird, instruction book says you need to beat Da Vinci's hideout theme in order to play online.

I found out the other day that the same was true in the original; you couldn't join up online until you'd played through The Gardens.

mclem said:
I found out the other day that the same was true in the original; you couldn't join up online until you'd played through The Gardens.
Yeah I lost my LBP1 profile by mistake the other day when I was doing some space clean-up so I was unable to import my original character and had to start a new profile from scratch. That probably explains why.

rhino4evr

Kinda disappointed that all those cool Beta levels I read about are no where to be found.

Played through the first world and had a lot of fun. The levels seem to be larger then the first game.

Online failed for me whenever I tried it. I figure I'll wait a few days while the kinks get worked out.

kevm3

Beat the game. I think part 1 had better designed story levels, but the levels in part 2 are much more interesting due to additions like grabinator and the such. Part 1's levels seemed much longer and had more exploration, while 2 seemed more as an effort to show off the new gadgets. With that said, I found 2 got less tedious to play due to the increased variety. Given what we've seen from story mode, it's going ot be amazing to see what eventually creators come up with.

Why in the world did they hold back beta levels though? If you idle, a video plays showing off beta levels and you don't allow them? I really don't feel like playing 2,000 trophies and H4H levels for the first couple of months.

Some other observations:
- Jumping seems to be improved. Sackboy still jumps like he did in LBP1, but he is MUCH more responsive now. It seems that those laggy jumps, where he jumps a second after you hit the button, are gone.

- With the addition of sackbots, especially when used as enemies, this game feels MUCH more alive than the first one. This game finally shakes the 'obstacle course' feel of the first.

- The lighting has improved a nice deal, and overall, the game has a more 'cartoony' look, which I think fits better than the more realistic look of the first.

kevm3 said:
Beat the game.

Makes me sad that this term is used for LittleBIGplanet :( Its not a game you should go out to 'beat', but love and help evolve. Not having a go, just find the term sounding strange for this game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
rhino4evr said:
Kinda disappointed that all those cool Beta levels I read about are no where to be found.

If people are like Donkey Show, they'll be back. But yeah, it's stupid they did that after allowing the beta levels in the first to pass. :/

And wow, if people are going through the story levels quickly that means there isn't too many. :/

mclem

TheSeks said:
And wow, if people are going through the story levels quickly that means there isn't too many. :/

Or that they're so awesome that they just can't stop!

Anyhow, you say 'story levels', I say 'tutorial' :)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
mclem said:
Or that they're so awesome that they just can't stop!

Anyhow, you say 'story levels', I say 'tutorial' :)
This is it. There are enough. And the minigames are so fun. I'm on the 3rd world and I've done tons of sidetracking too. I'm eager to see more but the minigames and playing it together with my friends on top of my solo playthrough has been fun as well. I think I've played the first set of levels 3 times and worlds 2 and 3 twice.

TheSeks said:
If people are like Donkey Show, they'll be back. But yeah, it's stupid they did that after allowing the beta levels in the first to pass. :/

What? They didnt put the beta levels in? That is pretty stupid they did that in the first right?

My copy from Gamefly should arrive today. So have any leaderboards been exploit-raped into the trillions yet? That got on my nerves so much with the first game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BarrenMind said:
My copy from Gamefly should arrive today. So have any leaderboards been exploit-raped into the trillions yet? That got on my nerves so much with the first game.
I would report that if it's that extreme. Then maybe they will delete it if they can.

bovo

kinoki said:
Well, du'h! But, say since I never put much effort into LPB1 but intend to do so with 2 and 50 people heart me. If I log back into 1 will those hearts then be transfered and thus unlocking the trophy? I'm guessing it will, but I'm also putting one down for spazzing out and making the trophy unattainable.

I was wondering the same - I had resigned myself to the fact that I would never get LBP1 platinum as I only had 10 of 30 required creator hearts (had enough level hearts)

But when checking lbp.me (before I have LBP2) it shoes my current hearts. Will any potential new hearts added with LBP2 add to total? I hope so!

LiquidMetal14 said:
I would report that if it's that extreme. Then maybe they will delete it if they can.

Last time I played LittleBigPlanet impossible scores were everywhere, even on story levels if memory serves correctly. No point deleting individual scores if exploits exist.

I was playing IloMilo yesterday on 360 and realized people have already discovered how to finish every level in the game with only 1 move. That's physically impossible. But I'm sure the exploit probably works in a similar way to the way it works in Cuboid on PSN. In that game, if you pause during the animation of moving your "character" from one block to another, it does not register as a "move" to the counter, so levels can be finished with 0 moves.

I'm starting to get really sick of leaderboards altogether. If they can't be secure against hacks and things like this, they may as well be removed.

Ranger X

BarrenMind said:
Last time I played LittleBigPlanet impossible scores were everywhere, even on story levels if memory serves correctly. No point deleting individual scores if exploits exist.

I was playing IloMilo yesterday on 360 and realized people have already discovered how to finish every level in the game with only 1 move. That's physically impossible. But I'm sure the exploit probably works in a similar way to the way it works in Cuboid on PSN. In that game, if you pause during the animation of moving your "character" from one block to another, it does not register as a "move" to the counter, so levels can be finished with 0 moves.

I'm starting to get really sick of leaderboards altogether. If they can't be secure against hacks and things like this, they may as well be removed.

This is not a leaderboards problem. The problems is fucking devs and publishers not debugging their games right before release.

Ranger X said:
This is not a leaderboards problem. The problems is fucking devs and publishers not debugging their games right before release.

Oh yea absolutely, I'm not suggesting the leaderboards themselves are broken, it's the method of collecting points (or counting moves as it were, etc.) which is a game design issue. I'd love to think that if a developer realized such an exploit existed before release, and that fixing it would be too difficult or time consuming a task, they would just remove leaderboards from the game altogether. But, they don't, because it's a bullet point that's pretty much expected in modern games. I'd guess that most exploits are found after release though. QA never finds everything.

I'll stop ranting about it in a sec, this personal gripe probably doesn't bother many other people. For me though, sometimes it discourages me from playing a game. Especially in LBP's case where the "Next Highest Score" displayed prominently in the upper left corner of the screen, and was more often than not a legitimately unachievable number. Or in IloMilo's case, where for a few days I was relying on the end-level screen to tell me what the "correct" solution to a level is since I thought it was a good assumption that the best community score would be the fewest steps possible to complete a level, then I would try to duplicate that number. It was a fun meta-game. Now, the best community score is always 1, ruining that part of the experience for me.

I'm probably better off not letting this stuff get under my skin because it seems like a problem that can't be addressed wholesale or is just not worth addressing.

jayb

Is there anyway to make spawn points invisible? I'd like to make an infinite spawn point that moves to random locations in a versus shooter level. But I don't want it to be visible so that people can't spawn camp. :)

Teknoman

I keep getting constant loading problems when trying to play with other people. Got into the game for awhile with Netguy, but then the issue kept popping up. Maybe its something to do with people trying to join?

ameratsu

Teknoman said:
I keep getting constant loading problems when trying to play with other people. Got into the game for awhile with Netguy, but then the issue kept popping up. Maybe its something to do with people trying to join?

I'm trying to play with a friend online and having the same issue. The host will load into the level fine, but anyone else seems to be getting intermittently stuck on the loading screen.

ameratsu said:
I'm trying to play with a friend online and having the same issue. The host will load into the level fine, but anyone else seems to be getting intermittently stuck on the loading screen.
same. you can try restarting the level it should work.

Be careful about rejecting people from your level from joining. it MAY cause your game to lag real bad and it'll try to reconnect

Ranger X

BarrenMind said:
Oh yea absolutely, I'm not suggesting the leaderboards themselves are broken, it's the method of collecting points (or counting moves as it were, etc.) which is a game design issue. I'd love to think that if a developer realized such an exploit existed before release, and that fixing it would be too difficult or time consuming a task, they would just remove leaderboards from the game altogether. But, they don't, because it's a bullet point that's pretty much expected in modern games. I'd guess that most exploits are found after release though. QA never finds everything.

I'll stop ranting about it in a sec, this personal gripe probably doesn't bother many other people. For me though, sometimes it discourages me from playing a game. Especially in LBP's case where the "Next Highest Score" displayed prominently in the upper left corner of the screen, and was more often than not a legitimately unachievable number. Or in IloMilo's case, where for a few days I was relying on the end-level screen to tell me what the "correct" solution to a level is since I thought it was a good assumption that the best community score would be the fewest steps possible to complete a level, then I would try to duplicate that number. It was a fun meta-game. Now, the best community score is always 1, ruining that part of the experience for me.

I'm probably better off not letting this stuff get under my skin because it seems like a problem that can't be addressed wholesale or is just not worth addressing.

Well, I totally agree with you about how frustrating or game breaking a bug can be and in Ilomilo it's really sad that people found such exploit as the "pause" thing you were describing. Still, if the IloMilo guys were careful, this sounds like a basic bug to me (and also according my 6 years of experience in QA). I really blame the industry right now going way too freaking fast and not bothering/investing enough in debugging and also relying on the good old "it's ok, we can patch anyways" way of thinking. They should all surpass themselves way freaking more for debugging games in general. Also, there's alot of great QA teams out there that will also find those problems but they aren't corrected before release because to production team decides they don't have time or more important matters.

Speaking of bugs anyways, some major ones already popped up on the internet about LBP2 and I hope we won't find any that are truly game breaking because let's face it, LBP1 was a buggy mess when released and I expect LBP2 to be the exact same type of "quality".

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Speaking of bugs anyways, some major ones already popped up on the internet about LBP2 and I hope we won't find any that are truly game breaking because let's face it, LBP1 was a buggy mess when released and I expect LBP2 to be the exact same type of "quality".
To be fair, LBP is an entirely different sort of beast. Unlike something such as Ilomilo, LBP is basically a set of user focused development tools with a game included. The amount of stuff a user can mess with far exceeds just about every other console game on the market.

Ranger X

dark10x said:
To be fair, LBP is an entirely different sort of beast. Unlike something such as Ilomilo, LBP is basically a set of user focused development tools with a game included. The amount of stuff a user can mess with far exceeds just about every other console game on the market.

Yes, I agree. But still, LBP1 was pretty buggy and some stuff many times it wasn't something complicated --- therefore that should have been found and corrected prior release.
What I think happens with a game like LBP is that the problems we are finding and that can be perceived as major were simply not perceived as major problems compared to the other bugs they had to fix before release. Just because of the nature of this game (like you were basically saying), the problems and debugging they needed to do and the problems they found were probably way more important than anything else that happened after release.

jayb

noob creator here ... can someone tell me how to create neon-looking sprites like these?

lbp2.03.lg.jpg

Ranger X

Teknoman said:
Are the animations just different pictures being emitted?

I don't remember exactly how that footage moves but that's probably how it was done. Some people made entire levels of "animated holographic pixels" in the beta. (Jump_Button comes to mind)

jayb

thanks ranger X. I'm assuming the hologram material is a prize bubble I need to find in one of the story levels? I've only played through the first two worlds so far.

Ranger X

jayb said:
thanks ranger X. I'm assuming the hologram material is a prize bubble I need to find in one of the story levels? I've only played through the first two worlds so far.

I cannot confirm this to you (will get the final game only tonight) but as most stuff is collected through the story mode, I suppose that it's a material you didn't collect yet.

jayb said:
played through tutorial and up to world 4 and it's definitely one of the prize bubbles. I guess it's going to be a stage that really involves hologram

Ferrio

Banned
So is the online community just full of shit right now? Watching all the beta videos and such there looked like tons of neat stuff people were making.... I check last night and it's the same old shit that was there when I first got LBP.... achievement maps, a map saying "Vote if you hate xbox" and the like. Did they improve their damn browsing at all?

Teknoman

DMPrince said:
played through tutorial and up to world 4 and it's definitely one of the prize bubbles. I guess it's going to be a stage that really involves hologram

Nah its just one of the tutorial areas. Gives you a prize bubble with a square that looks sort of like...a chrome texture from an N64 game...if that makes any sense. At least thats how it looked in the bubble to me :D

Ferrio said:
So is the online community just full of shit right now? Watching all the beta videos and such there looked like tons of neat stuff people were making.... I check last night and it's the same old shit that was there when I first got LBP.... achievement maps, a map saying "Vote if you hate xbox" and the like. Did they improve their damn browsing at all?

No one has really published any LBP2 levels, so its just the stuff from LBP1 for now. Still have to beat the story levels, snag alot of materials/music, think of stuff, etc.

Ferrio

Banned
Teknoman said:
No one has really published any LBP2 levels, so its just the stuff from LBP1 for now. Still have to beat the story levels, snag alot of materials/music, think of stuff, etc.

So none of that neat stuff made in the beta was carried over?

jayb

Ferrio said:

filtering only by LBP2 levels helps cut out a lot of that crap, but yeah it's still there. and what sucks is that it looks like people can republish their LBP1 levels in LBP2, so that they'll still show in the LBP2-only filter.

Teknoman said:
Nah its just one of the tutorial areas. Gives you a prize bubble with a square that looks sort of like...a chrome texture from an N64 game...if that makes any sense. At least thats how it looked in the bubble to me :D

Did it get it's own section in the material? i must have overlooked it. I didn't even do the tutorial as i went and clicked 'unlock all tutorial' lol

Teknoman

DMPrince said:
Did it get it's own section in the material? i must have overlooked it. I didn't even do the tutorial as i went and clicked 'unlock all tutorial' lol

I think its in the main/generic material section at the top of the list.

Ranger X

Ferrio said:

You expected people to not be people?
Adjust your expectations to reality right now pls. It's for you own good.

Stampy

Uhmm, as I can see from some videos, (still don't have the game), the review system is somewhat meaningless, because it seems that people are basically just treating it as a comments section. Oh well, one more idea ruined by the community. :/

nataku

I hate the grappling hook swinging physics so much.

Every time I get myself swinging and it looks like the next shot will get me to where I am aiming for I'll shoot the hook off and my guy just stops dead in the air.

Top Bottom