• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

Ranger X

Stampy said:
Uhmm, as I can see from some videos, (still don't have the game), the review system is somewhat meaningless, because it seems that people are basically just treating it as a comments section. Oh well, one more idea ruined by the community. :/

I think it's more a bad implementation of the feature more than anything else.
The community in the game is not used to be a feedback one. LBP never encouraged reviews and giving feedback to other people. Per example, me rating your feedback could give you points to use of unlocking something or again for a reputation rating that would in turn give you more influence on the community (per example, your ratings and reviews could gradually increase in influence in the algorythm of the cool level pages therefore you would have more influence in making the best levels the most popular ones).

Anyways, right now nothing incitate people to write reviews therefore it's going to be rare it happens. It is indeed not different enough from the comment section and it's also too complicated to go deep in the menus and read them anyways. The classification and rating system in the game is also too ambiguous and not flexible enough for the review to matter or influence anything.

Teknoman

The grapple hook needs momentum too. You kinda have to get a running jump start and then grapple if you want high flying action.

Xenon

Ferrio said:
So is the online community just full of shit right now? Watching all the beta videos and such there looked like tons of neat stuff people were making.... I check last night and it's the same old shit that was there when I first got LBP.... achievement maps, a map saying "Vote if you hate xbox" and the like. Did they improve their damn browsing at all?

I wish they would have kept LBP1 levels on a separate planet.

My impressions have been luke warm so far. The "story" levels seem like very basic tutorials. It looks like they are targeting people who have never played a video game before with a section showing people how to jump over an object. I can't see myself ever wanting to play them again, unlike the first game.

Teknoman

Xenon said:

My impressions have been luke warm so far. The "story" levels seem like very basic tutorials. It looks like they are targeting people who have never played a video game before with a section showing people how to jump over an object. I can't see myself ever wanting to play them again, unlike the first game.

Wasnt that how the first games initial story levels were?

Ranger X

Xenon said:

LBP1 is filter option now, nothing is mixed up. Therefore it does the same job as "seperate planets". Besides, the first world of LBP1 is also boring and just a simple tutorial telling you to jump, grab and push stuff...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ranger X said:
LBP1 is filter option now, nothing is mixed up.

To elaborate more, the LBP1/LBP2 filter option is at the bottom of the filters menu (which you bring up with Triangle). You have to scroll down.

(I would have put in at the top btw)

Ranger X

TTP said:
To elaborate more, the LBP1/LBP2 filter option is at the bottom of the filters menu (which you bring up with Triangle). You have to scroll down.

(I would have put in at the top btw)

Yeah, I also think it's too discreet. LBP1 levels will be largely ignored and that's not good, especially while there's not much great user stuff yet in LBP2.

So far the single player has been outstanding, it keeps refining the tools you're given and finding new and interesting ways to use them. The story mode was just a way to get new materials in the last game with creation and community levels being the real draw, but so far I think this game is worth it just for the single player alone.

I'm having problems with the online stuff though. I haven't been able to get a single co-op game running yet (I'm either refused or it fails to connect) and the community wouldn't load. Is that a problem for everyone or am I just having bad luck?

Oneself

So, if I understand you guys correctly, every single LBP level is featured in LBP2?? By that I mean, the story levels, not the user-created ones..

Madman

dark10x said:
It seems that way. They killed all of the beta content for no good reason.
Beta testers were told from the start this would happen. Some bugs could only be eliminated by not allowing beta levels to carry over.

If you want levels to play, make some. :)

Oneself

Ok!
So I'll keep the original then!

BTW, I love the MLAA and whatever else anti-aliasing tech used in LBP2. Everything looks clean and my old LBP characters are given a new life. So far, everything is amazing as expected. =)

IMACOMPUTA

what is that ANNOYING black rearview mirror looking thing on the top of my screen???/ jesus i hate that thing.

Also, how to i get my sackboy to quit staring up. its like my controller needs to be calibrated or something.

Stampy

Ranger X said:
I think it's more a bad implementation of the feature more than anything else.
The community in the game is not used to be a feedback one. LBP never encouraged reviews and giving feedback to other people. Per example, me rating your feedback could give you points to use of unlocking something or again for a reputation rating that would in turn give you more influence on the community (per example, your ratings and reviews could gradually increase in influence in the algorythm of the cool level pages therefore you would have more influence in making the best levels the most popular ones).

Great idea, but I don't think even that would function, seeing as the thumb up/thumb down for the reviews is not given on merit, but more on... umm... I have no idea based on what people give their ratings to other people's reviews. :/

For example: level Gnome Cave has a review: "It's pretty." And it gets 10 happy and two sad faces. Review "How I go after "LBPcentral" sign?" gets 21 happy faces and 9 sad. Another level Vile Anchorage has a review "very excellent!!!", and the review has 3 sad and 27 happy faces.

Oh well, I had high hopes for this system. -_-

Forsete

GOTY so far.

Looove the new upgraded story mode. I just unlocked the 3rd world.
lolz at my old LBP1 level still being in the game.

GeoramA

The story levels are incredible. Having a blast trying to 100% and ace them and finding all the hidden stickers. LBP1 was definitely not this good.

Haven't even touched the community levels yet. This game is something else.

IMACOMPUTA said:
what is that ANNOYING black rearview mirror looking thing on the top of my screen???/ jesus i hate that thing.

Also, how to i get my sackboy to quit staring up. its like my controller needs to be calibrated or something.
yeah i noticed that my sackboy is looking somewhere else. the sixaxis is kinda funky for some reason.

Teknoman

IMACOMPUTA said:

Rear view mirror? Never saw anything like that, but did you adjust the screen size at the beginning?

Also i'm really starting to appreciate the logic shortcut switches. Score emitter actually makes those bubbles useful too. Could even incorporate some kinda power up/ search for items mechanic with that.

jayb

DMPrince said:
yeah i noticed that my sackboy is looking somewhere else. the sixaxis is kinda funky for some reason.

+1 I usually just press R3 (or is it L3?) to make the sixaxis control the waist instead of the head.

Neptune

I was excited to start playing this when it arrived in my mailbox this afternoon, but sadly it doesn't work with my brand new PS3, and I've tried it 10 times. It installs the game data, then freezes right after and I have to reset the console.

Just for the hell of it, I tried it on my old 40 GB model, and what do you know, it works perfectly! Too bad I'm giving the old one away, so I suppose I'm stuck waiting for a patch or something.

rhino4evr

Neptune said:
I was excited to start playing this when it arrived in my mailbox this afternoon, but sadly it doesn't work with my brand new PS3, and I've tried it 10 times. It installs the game data, then freezes right after and I have to reset the console.

Just for the hell of it, I tried it on my old 40 GB model, and what do you know, it works perfectly! Too bad I'm giving the old one away, so I suppose I'm stuck waiting for a patch or something.
Maybe try playing the game off line at first and then once you are set up. Switch back to online?

Neptune

Yeah, I read that on other forums, so I tried signing out from PSN before launching the game, but it didn't work. Disabling the internet connection in Network Settings didn't work either. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Oneself

Neptune said:
Yeah, I read that on other forums, so I tried signing out from PSN before launching the game, but it didn't work. Disabling the internet connection in Network Settings didn't work either. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Are you forcing your new PS3 into 1080p or something? Are both consoles connected the same way?

Neptune said:

how many GB are left on both console? i doubt it has to do with that. you should check if any other controllers or device is turned on or make sure the controller is input 1 and/or unplug anything in the USB Port. IDK if that would matter.

Tkawsome said:
I'm having problems with the online stuff though. I haven't been able to get a single co-op game running yet (I'm either refused or it fails to connect) and the community levels won't load. Is that a problem for everyone or am I just having bad luck?

Anyone? I've tried three more times to get co-op going and two of them were rejected and one of them failed.

Another question, how does the circuit board for sackbots work? I put another chip on there to change his behavior but I can't seem to figure out how to set any priority between them. I'm in the tutorial and it didn't really clear things up, but I'm messing around with one guy set as patrol and if you get within his awareness radius he will follow you. The patrol one works, but I can't seem to get the second chip (follow) to work.

Stupid (very) general question: how big can user-created levels be? I mean, they've kinda sold the changes in LBP2 as a 'platform to create your own games', but how elaborate can those actually be? My son and I watched an iso hack-n-slash in one of the previews, and that got us thinking. I mean, could you have something that progresses from level-to-level and takes, say, hours to complete? I'm expecting the Moon and stars, aren't I?

Teknoman

Just realized Jump button's stuff is in the attract mode for LBP2.
Having online co-op issues too, but im going to focus on knocking out SP mode for now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
sparky2112 said:
Stupid (very) general question: how big can user-created levels be? I mean, they've kinda sold the changes in LBP2 as a 'platform to create your own games', but how elaborate can those actually be? My son and I watched an iso hack-n-slash in one of the previews, and that got us thinking. I mean, could you have something that progresses from level-to-level and takes, say, hours to complete? I'm expecting the Moon and stars, aren't I?

Yes. You can have levels connected to one another via some sort of teleporting badge and basically make as huge of a game as you want.

Neptune

Oneself said:
Are you forcing your new PS3 into 1080p or something? Are both consoles connected the same way?

I use 1080p normally, but the TV makes a "jump" and tells me it's in 720p when the game is launched. Both consoles were connected with the same HDMI cable, just swapped it between them.

DMPrince said:
how many GB are left on both console? i doubt it has to do with that. you should check if any other controllers or device is turned on or make sure the controller is input 1 and/or unplug anything in the USB Port. IDK if that would matter.

The 40 GB was recently formatted and reset, so it's clean and empty. The 320 GB has about 250 left. Only 1 controller is active, and nothing is connected to the USB. Oh, and the 320 GB hasn't had issues with any other games so far, and I've played Gran Turismo 5 and Red Dead Redemption earlier today.

Thanks to both for your suggestions, I wish I didn't have to deal with this! I was really looking forward to starting, but it looks like I'll need a patch and/or a miracle.

Teknoman

sparky2112 said:

Nah, just make some well thought out designs, full to the brim levels, string them together with level gates, and there you go.

Probably was Donkey show's level, since I just saw that in attract as well.

Xenon

Teknoman said:
Wasnt that how the first games initial story levels were?

Not really, in one they felt more like actual levels with guides throughout. Now its just a character telling you what to do and then you performing a task to try it out. The first couple levels you are just walking to the right on a flat platform to the next lesson.

darkjedi187 said:
can the dlc packs (metal gear or pirates of the Caribbean) be played through LBP 2?
yep.

If anyone is interested MM will be doing a short LBP2 tutorial on Sackbots in like 7 minutes. check the Random cam on the stream site.

Teknoman

jump_button said:
?_? what?

The pixel platformer you made? If you let LBP2 just sit, it switches over to running a silent movie that shows lots of different beta stages. Part of your platformer, and Donkey's top-down RPG spin attack show up.

Ranger X

sparky2112 said:

They can be quite big. It really depends how the level is made and what happens in it. I played tons of platformer levels that are lasting like 20-30 mins to complete. It really depends what you create.
And you could make something SUPER LONG if you'd want by linking levels like stages in a real game. But each level is of course taking one of your 20 publishing spots on the servers so you actually might not want to make a 80 hours adventure spread over 10 publishing spots...

AndyD

aka andydumi
Eaten By A Grue said:
Weird, instruction book says you need to beat Da Vinci's hideout theme in order to play online.

Not sure about that. But after beating it the narrator did say "now go try some other people's creations".

I need to practice more grappling. I need to learn how to swing above the moving L shaped grappler.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Alright, story mode is done. Now I can take this shit back to Gamestop and get some trade in value.

/lies

Anyways, it was great. LBP1 had a decent story mode, but there were some kind of rough and frustrating moments, but I didn't experience anything like that in LBP2. The levels just feel better and all the new abilities made it feel fresh. Really good stuff, but it's not even the tip of the ice berg.

I'm going straight into Create, after I refresh myself with all the tutorials. I'm full of ideas right now, it's pretty exciting. My first level idea (at the moment, at least) is a Inception/The Cell-ish psychological thriller were Sackboy must enter the mind of an insane person and pass through his varying levels of psychosis to get to the core and learn his secrets. I'll probably never pull that off, but it'll be fun trying.

* Weird question, but is there any downside to using a lot of level links? I ask because I always struggled with using space conservatively and planning ahead in LBP1, but leveling linking from area to area (especially in the level I'm planning out) will make it so much easy.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tkawsome said:
I'm having problems with the online stuff though. I haven't been able to get a single co-op game running yet (I'm either refused or it fails to connect) and the community wouldn't load. Is that a problem for everyone or am I just having bad luck?

I tried a few times to join a co-op game, but all 3 times it got stuck in loading. I could hear them talk, though, it got close. Someone did successfully join me, but before the end of the level he got stuck in loading hell as well.

Hopefully MM can iron this out fast cause I'd love to play some co-op soon.

Filldough said:
Will those tutorials be available for those of us who cannot watch them live?
i don't know really. TBH the are quick tutorials. they go real fast since they have like 15-20 minutes. We are better off at least learning or wait for someone to create a more in-depth tutorial on youtube.

Top Bottom