• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

boredofcanada said:
"Yes, the camera occasionally struggles to make the experience equally satisfying to both players, but when it does work it's supremely satisfying."

I have yet to encounter any problem with the camera. I have no idea what they are talking about.
i think when one player leaves the screen. it doesn't know which person to follow. sometimes if player A is head it focus on player B and Player A dies for going off screen.

Mik2121

autobzooty said:
Is it possible to look at the story mode levels in create mode? I wanna see how they built some of these things....
In LBP1 you couldn't, so I guess you can't in LBP2 either. Kinda weird if you ask me...

Mik2121 said:
In LBP1 you couldn't, so I guess you can't in LBP2 either. Kinda weird if you ask me...
if we get to see then we would know where the prize bubbles were and all xD unless it's barebone and just the level and nothing more.

Dartastic

I think the Dragon QUest part 1 or whatever the level is called is borking my PS3. The system has been "loading" for a while now, and there's now some white borders on the side of the screen. The loading thing was flickering hella bad also. Maybe I should shut it off.

Onet hing that sucks, is that a lot of the costumes for LBP1( not DLC) couldn't be brought over ( My ps3 kinda freaked out and thus I downloaded a comnplete game file..which is frowned upon so now it's either paly through lbp1 again and tough titty).

I really wanted some of those items too. Oh well hopefully the new items are just as good ( or better).

Grisby

Oh man, I cannot believe what an upgrade single player has gotten. MM did a great job on making me feel like my Sackboy's out to save the world. Of dreams.

Also, I just got done with the rat race bonus level. Its gonna be insane to see what everyone can come up with. One nice touch too is that I get prizes for the bonus levels on how well I do. Gives me a much greater incentive to go back and replay them.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Man, it feels like you can almost do anything in this crazy game. I've just been playing with a sackbot + a controllinator, trying to create different controls methods. I'm not gonna say I've got it down, but man, the possibilities are endless. I also like that if you just connect a controlinator to a sackbot without actually connecting the buttons to anything, the sackbot will automatically control like a normal sackboy. Then you can start tweaking him, changing button mappings and adding superpowers. Awesome.

However, I've had trouble making some seemingly simple things work. An example: I want to move the sackbot with the left stick as usual, and then I want the right stick to control his aiming. R1 would shoot. OK, so a creatinator is obviously the easiest way to do this, but I want him to have this ability without having to pick one up (I don't think you can make a sackbot have a creatinator by default, can you?). I want him to just be able to throw fire! I've tried it with an emitter, but I can't get it to shoot in the right direction (it just shoots in one direction all the time). Any ideas?

Also, can you make a sackbot invincible (or at least immune to certain types of damage)? I tried to create a sort of explosion jump (thing 'Splosion Man), but the poor little sackbot just keeps dying after a few have gone off.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game is too good. Just watched all the tutorials and now I'm experimenting.

Now that I'm getting into Create, I'll probably have to go back and play LBP1's story mode for the billionth time so I can earn all my items that I lost when my save got corrupted.

So what's the deal with sound effects in LBP2? There doesn't seem to be any new ones. Alls I got is the DLC sound packs like Monsters and Metal Gear Solid. I'll definitely have to go back to LBP1 now if that's the only way I can have a variety of sound effects to use.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
A great little example of something that's really a completely different game than the core LBP gameplay: Galactic Base Defence

It's a tower defence game (I really feel comfortable calling this a game - albeit a small one - rather than a level), and I think it shows how amazingly flexible the editor is.

58076040072462a29dbb0f1dbd2765ea21ae07c3.jpg

9b4e4430692fbd1e113137886cca379d2b39c33b.jpg

Grisby

That's crazy^^^

So how many Gaffers bought the $5 rare shirt already? I laughed about it a couple of posts back but I've developed some sort of itch for it now. I'd feel better about buying it instantly if that money went to charity or something.

Oh god I won't be able to live with myself if I buy it.

Grisby said:
That's crazy^^^

So how many Gaffers bought the $5 rare shirt already? I laughed about it a couple of posts back but I've developed some sort of itch for it now. I'd feel better about buying it instantly if that money went to charity or something.

Oh god I won't be able to live with myself if I buy it.
Bought it. loved it. i wish the color would change with the speech bubble color you pick. but other than that it's a cute shirt even if Ranger X hates it.

Grisby

DMPrince said:
Bought it. loved it. i wish the color would change with the speech bubble color you pick. but other than that it's a cute shirt even if Ranger X hates it.

I'm a sucker for dressing up my characters and I forgot how awesome the customization is for LBP. Thank god I never got heavily into Street Fighter 4.

Well, the shirts animated at least right?

Grisby said:
I'm a sucker for dressing up my characters and I forgot how awesome the customization is for LBP. Thank god I never got heavily into Street Fighter 4.

Well, the shirts animated at least right?
yeah.
sackglowxh43.gif

using a remote controlboxthing with a sackbot, how do you keep the camera on that sackbot?

Is there a way to have the camera rotate with the sackbot/character movement, btw?

Teknoman

MiamiWesker said:
I was going to ask you before I logged off what you were making, that sounds promising. As always I look forward to it.

Yeah I want to use it for the second stage in one of my action shooter series. LBP2 has some awesome int and standard tracks when combined with what we had from LBP1, but I just cant back down from the music creator.

Snuggler said:
This game is too good. Just watched all the tutorials and now I'm experimenting.

Now that I'm getting into Create, I'll probably have to go back and play LBP1's story mode for the billionth time so I can earn all my items that I lost when my save got corrupted.

So what's the deal with sound effects in LBP2? There doesn't seem to be any new ones. Alls I got is the DLC sound packs like Monsters and Metal Gear Solid. I'll definitely have to go back to LBP1 now if that's the only way I can have a variety of sound effects to use.

There are plenty, but you have to get them from completing the tutorials. Lots of cool sounds NES style retro noises among other things.

Linkzg said:
using a remote controlboxthing with a sackbot, how do you keep the camera on that sackbot?

Is there a way to have the camera rotate with the sackbot/character movement, btw?

I think you have to place a movie camera on the bot's circuit board?

EDIT: I'm torn between creating an original survival horror style game or Siren: Cursed Cloth :p Guess I better learn how to use the tools first. Shibito sackboys would be cool though.

i'm building a bull and i need to give him horns, but i dont think i have the horn decoration unlocked from LBP1. is there a way to get these items without painstakingly hunting them down? i just wanna start making stuff and i dont wanna spend a bunch of time hunting for objects i know are in the game.

Would i also have to go back to LBP1, or is there a way to unlock LBP1 items in LBP2?

here's the WIP image, btw

cLsVo.jpg

Ranger X

Well, there is something that sure isn't great about LBP2. I thought they would have improved the level importing/conversion more than during the beta.
Right now it's exactly at the beta level. ALL of my LBP1 levels looks uglier in LBP2 with fucked up lighting, alpha problems, settings that are offset, etc. Any level that was carefully made and pushing the visuals a little should potentially look worse.

What's even worse is that I cannot fix my levels because they will become LBP2 levels and they will take LBP2 slots. This is really sad because not only LBP1 levels will probably be ignored but now they have a REASON to be ignored as the visual fidelity is worse than if you play them in the original game.

After this deception, I will go start the story mode...

:(

Bebpo

Banned
Eh, I'm still enjoying the LBP1 levels in LBP2. It's been so long since I played LBP1 I don't remember what they looked like and they still look good in LBP2.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Linkzg said:

This might help you

http://lbp.me/v/wpwd-b

Fake edit: lbp.me is awesome. Wish I didn't have to log in every time tho. Can't it just remember me?

If I buy this game in Japan, and put it into my US system which is set to English, will the menus/everything else be in English or Japanese?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finished Story mode. VERY SHORT compared to LittleBigPlanet 1, I feel. That doesn't mean it isn't quality, as it is. But it's able to be beaten in a day or two. I've got to Ace some of the levels and go back for the prize bubbles I've missed, but that doesn't give it an excuse for the short length.

Feels like an expansion pack to 1 despite the fact that the new stuff is worth the $60 asking price.

Also you don't get any of the LBP1 items here, so it's like MM/SCEE want you to buy both games. :/ Oh, well, not like I sold LBP1 anyway. So I just have to go back and Ace and get the bubbles I'm missing in 1 now.

Haven't delved into Create Mode yet. Does it have Keyboard Mouse controls or was that nixed/planned for later? Because honestly, that's the only way I can see myself putting a level up for longer than a week if going for the "year published" pin instead of just getting the week published trophy and deleting my crappy level. :/

STG

I hope amazon will ship mine today. in the mean time I will start LBP1 again (after loosing my save file 2 times already since release)
or does it work when I download a savegame with all unlocked?

as much as I love lbp1 I do not want to unlock everything again for the 3rd time

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The net issues are a huge problem, every time a game starts or ends it ends in endless loading. :(

I also get "A problem occurred when attempting to connect to the LittleBigPlanet servers (403)." I'm assuming their servers are getting hammered.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Teknoman said:
There are plenty, but you have to get them from completing the tutorials. Lots of cool sounds NES style retro noises among other things.

Thanks for pointing that out, I had already done all the tutorials but I forgot to collect the items towards the end in a few of them. Just got all the sound items, nice.

Anyone who doesn't want to put in the effort or is intimidated by Create should still give it a try. Even if you can't make a hit level, you can get a lot out of it. Most of the fun I've had with it is just experimenting in an empty level. It's a lot of fun to come up with crazy contraptions and vehicles and stuff, there's so much you can do.

The tools are much more intuitive this time around so hopefully I can put together some decent levels of my own this time, but either way I'll be spending a lot of time in create.

TheSeks

STG said:
or does it work when I download a savegame with all unlocked

For LBP1? Yes. For LBP2? If it isn't your save, you can't import it.

Yes, I was in the same boat. Tough shit, MM doesn't care, go redo the 2/3/4x level stuff and reace the Bunker, bitch. :|

TheSeks said:
For LBP1? Yes. For LBP2? If it isn't your save, you can't import it.

Yes, I was in the same boat. Tough shit, MM doesn't care, go redo the 2/3/4x level stuff and reace the Bunker, bitch. :|
forever alone.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You only need to put up with the 2X/3X/4X and aceing all levels in LBP1 if you need 100% of ALL the items in LBP1 for some reason. It's nice to have some extra sound effects and materials and stuff, but there's no reason why you'd need everything, especially if you're not even planning on doing much with Create in the first place.

I lost my save as well but I'm just running through real quick to grab the costume parts, the music and some materials. It would be silly to bust my ass to get some stickers and objects that I'd never use either way.

Grisby

How short is the story mode? Can someone spoil how many pod/land/areas you go to?

I'm on the 4th
Avalon
right now.

Teknoman

autobzooty said:
i'm building a bull and i need to give him horns, but i dont think i have the horn decoration unlocked from LBP1. is there a way to get these items without painstakingly hunting them down? i just wanna start making stuff and i dont wanna spend a bunch of time hunting for objects i know are in the game.

Would i also have to go back to LBP1, or is there a way to unlock LBP1 items in LBP2?

here's the WIP image, btw

You could always just make horn shapes out of wood or polystyrene. Some really decent decoration horns were in the monster pack...and teeth from LBP1 Savannah stage I believe.

By the way, Ranger X, did you have any suggestions on what instruments I might use for the theme I posted?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Grisby said:
How short is the story mode? Can someone spoil how many pod/land/areas you go to?

I'm on the 4th
Avalon
right now.

2 more (6 total).

It probably took me between 4 and 5 hours. It's short, but I prefer it that way with LBP.

netguy503

Grisby said:

I'm on the 4th
Avalon
right now.

Doesn't your trophy list do that for you? How many trophies you got until it says "Finished Story Mode". You have played enough to know you get one trophy per world. I just passed that stage myself. I think there are two left.

Edit: Beaten by a guy into bestiality.

Grisby

That is short, but damned if it isn't quality over quantity. I remember LBP being longer but I think thats do to the fact that I played it in chunks (due to rl issues).

Thanks for the answer btw.

Jeels

Can someone tell me how to ace the first real level. How am I supposed to if you have to do that reset thing when you fall under the bridge.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I can't believe they're charging $5 for that shit just because it's 'rare'...like anyone gives a shit about your rare shirt. I gotta give MM plenty of credit for pumping LBP1 full of free updates to improve the game, but that's just being silly. It's not even that nice of a shirt, anyways, I wouldn't put that shit on my Sackboy.

netguy503

Snuggler said:
I can't believe they're charging $5 for that shit just because it's 'rare'...like anyone gives a shit about your rare shirt. I gotta give MM plenty of credit for pumping LBP1 full of free updates to improve the game, but that's just being silly. It's not even that nice of a shirt, anyways, I wouldn't put that shit on my Sackboy.

I put that shit on my Gonzo sackboy so he's extra pimp.

Oh btw, you get some blonde hair chick full body costume around Avalon and now I'm playing the rest of the campaign with it on cause I'm cool like that. :)

ijed

Teknoman said:
You could always just make horn shapes out of wood or polystyrene. Some really decent decoration horns were in the monster pack...and teeth from LBP1 Savannah stage I believe.

Yeah think this is the one you want - need donkey sticker as switch trigger to get it.

There's also cow stickers in Boom Town

TheSeks

Snuggler said:
You only need to put up with the 2X/3X/4X and aceing all levels in LBP1 if you need 100% of ALL the items in LBP1 for some reason. It's nice to have some extra sound effects and materials and stuff, but there's no reason why you'd need everything, especially if you're not even planning on doing much with Create in the first place.

I lost my save as well but I'm just running through real quick to grab the costume parts, the music and some materials. It would be silly to bust my ass to get some stickers and objects that I'd never use either way.

Ace and 100% give you some costume items as well, IIRC. I know you have to Ace the Bunker for 2D Sackboy prototype, for instance.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Square Triangle said:
I fucking LOVE this campaign. Night and day difference over the first, aside from the charm- MM knows how to fucking deliver.

I feel the same way... while I liked the first one, it never quite lived to the hype I had it set at. That's another reason this one is so special to me, I wasn't really too hyped up for it before release, but it's like a completely different game. The first one showed that there was potential and this time around they really took advantage of it.

The thing I'm most excited about with this one though is the mini games, because I can tell the online levels in this one will actually be damn good, there is just a ridiculous amount of potential there.

Top Bottom