• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

Ainigma

Neo Member
Anyone help?

I've just installed the LBP2 and the game gets to it's first loading screen, the game then crashes, the loading screen doesn't go away and I can't even access home menu... I've got a 320GB PS3. Tried the game on my 160GB PS3, it installed, then loaded, so it appears my 320GB PS3 is causing a problem

Any ideas?

I've tried re-installing it 3 times and even removing DLC to see if that makes a difference.

Ainigma said:
Anyone help?

I've just installed the LBP2 and the game gets to it's first loading screen, the game then crashes, the loading screen doesn't go away and I can't even access home menu... I've got a 320GB PS3. Tried the game on my 160GB PS3, it installed, then loaded, so it appears my 320GB PS3 is causing a problem

Any ideas?

I've tried re-installing it 3 times and even removing DLC to see if that makes a difference.

log out and dont inport anything when you first start do it when you in

donkey show said:
Considering we covered 38 genres within LBP2 in our Guinness World Record run in 24 hours that were multiplayer friendly, that vid is a nice testament to how flexible the game can be. Good stuff. =)
Is there a list of all the genres you guys played?

r4z4

StuBurns said:
I've not come across any water yet, is there any? If not I'll buy the Pirates DLC I think.
I finished the story mode this evening. Did not come across any water in the main levels. Have not been through all the mini-levels yet though.

Any gaffers up for playing co-op?

jump_button said:
every one need to play this lot if you not looked in Mm pick now the time

blast radius
by johnee

g98289-a42c4301.png

ba4311de8d963db4a9335f484e5ac4b289292b66.jpg

Omicron - Neon City
by urbandevill

g107425-5fceb3f8.png

8cf36cbde204352457b20e6fec44718e384e6d3a.jpg

Galactic Base Defence - 1.2
by urbandevill

g121002-a9d641a9.png

f496c16523725a4b9bab68fa4109dd6cb10dbc29.jpg

for new page ¬_¬

DMPrince said:
Is there a list of all the genres you guys played?
Checking my e-mail... these are the ones Guinness accepted. I don't remember which ones we missed, but some are pretty obvious they can't be done.

First-person shooters
Tactical Shooters
Third Person
2D Shooters
Online Shooters
Rail Shooters
Football
NFL
Baseball
Golf
Tennis
Football
Extreme Sports
Simulation Racing
Arcade Racing
Street Racing
Kart Racing
Mini Games Compilations
Fitness Gaming
Rhythm Games: Karaoke
Rhythm Games: Instrument
Rhythm Games: Dance mat
Open World
Narrative Adventure
Stealth
Survival Horror
2D Platformers
3D Platformers
Point and Click
2D Fighters
3D Fighters
Hack and Slash
Combat Sports
Block puzzles
Spatial Puzzles
Physics-based
Logic Puzzles
Word Puzzles
Japanese RPG
Western RPG
Action RPGs
MMORPG
MMORPG - Social
Turn-based Strategy
Real-time Strategy
Simulation
Classic Arcade
Modern Arcade

In order to qualify, we had to play a genre for at least 5 minutes. Replays could not be done. Playing multiple levels within a genre in order to reach that goal was acceptable. Stuff like MMORPGs and whatnot were a little out of reach and we could not go into create mode and build a stage to fulfill a genre. There were some other stipulations that limited our ability, but if we could've done that, we'd have covered way more ground. We did try to get the community who already had the game to build levels that had the genre we needed and was also multiplayer accessible, but they failed us, lol.

Ranger X said:
Well, all levels from LBP1 are showing up in LBP2. That's the way the game is designed --- to completely render LBP1 obsolete and letting you discover and enjoy LBP1 stuff even if you don't own it.

No, I mean using the filter to remove the LBP1 levels from the search. Some are resubmitting their LBP1 levels in LBP2 causing it to register as a LBP2 level, I guess they want trophies for those levels or something. Its no big deal but I would like to play levels utilizing the new tools.

Stampy

jump_button said:
every one need to play this lot if you not looked in Mm pick now the time

blast radius
by johnee

g98289-a42c4301.png

Omicron - Neon City
by urbandevill

g107425-5fceb3f8.png

Galactic Base Defence - 1.2
by urbandevill

g121002-a9d641a9.png

Since this can be misleading, it also has to be strongly pointed out that both of those levels are from MM staff, published under private PSNs. So basically they cannot be viewed as community levels, at least in regards to showing how proficient the community has become.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Love this game. It's crazy how much time I can spend on the little things. I spent like half an hour last night just making a couple trees. I made a level with a giant chrome building called 'The Lab' where I can go and make crazy contraptions and test them out. Right now it's full of levitating gophers, sackboy-launching cannons and lots of explosives. Create is the bestest thing about the game even if you're not trying to make a real level.

Anyways, my first level idea didn't pan out but now I'm working on one called SACKBOY'S NIGHTMARE. I'm trying to make the darkest and most morbid LBP level ever, and it's pretty creepy so far. It's about Sackboy having a bad spicy dinner then going to sleep and entering into a terrifying nightmare world. The slo-mo baby cry sound effects I added were really freaking me out. As long as I can see it through till the end, it should be pretty cool. I just have to curb the violence so it doesn't get taken down right away.

Teknoman

bryehn said:
So, bounce pads, jump gravity, level connections and the grappling hook...

Who's working on LittleBionicCommando?

Sup. Well...maybe everything but the music...then again I dont want to give up so easy lol. Do we have anyone beside Ranger X thats pretty good with making music? Dont want to keep bugging him about stuff :p

Snuggler said:
Love this game. It's crazy how much time I can spend on the little things. I spent like half an hour last night just making a couple trees. I made a level with a giant chrome building called 'The Lab' where I can go and make crazy contraptions and test them out. Right now it's full of levitating gophers, sackboy-launching cannons and lots of explosives. Create is the bestest thing about the game even if you're not trying to make a real level.

Anyways, my first level idea didn't pan out but now I'm working on one called SACKBOY'S NIGHTMARE. I'm trying to make the darkest and most morbid LBP level ever, and it's pretty creepy so far. It's about Sackboy having a bad spicy dinner then going to sleep and entering into a terrifying nightmare world. The slo-mo baby cry sound effects I added were really freaking me out. As long as I can see it through till the end, it should be pretty cool. I just have to curb the violence so it doesn't get taken down right away.

Thats one thing im worried about for survival horror stages.

Ranger X

Stampy said:
Since this can be misleading, it also has to be strongly pointed out that both of those levels are from MM staff, published under private PSNs. So basically they cannot be viewed as community levels, at least in regards to showing how proficient the community has become.

Wut?

So now Media Molecule favors their employees levels in their MM picks? If its the case well this doesn't sit well with me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Teknoman said:
Thats one thing im worried about for survival horror stages.

Yeah, for sure.
I'm not adding blood or anything extreme, but there are silhouettes of sackboys hanging from nooses and a few burning crosses as well. I think I have a sick mind if this is the kinda stuff I come up with, but it's fun to create a scary atmosphere and I can't help but laugh at something dark and morbid juxtaposed against the whimsical cutesyness of LBP.

There should be an 'adults-only' filter so we have free reign to make crass, violent and inappropriate levels.

Stampy

Ranger X said:
Wut?

So now Media Molecule favors their employees levels in their MM picks? If its the case well this doesn't sit well with me.

To be honest, if they created these levels in their free time, and since those levels are of great quality, I don’t see why they would not be MM picked (but in that case, a recognizable MM staff label should have been highlighted in the logo of those levels or creators just so people are aware that those levels were not created by the community.

I guess the primary reason why MM did this was to have a number of great LBP2 levels available to the community at the time of the game’s release. The idea was probably to demonstrate what they can expect from the community and to avoid constant nagging that after playing through the story mode there is nothing else to do since community levels are a major suckaton, but then again since in this case the community is in fact MM staff we come back to the problem of the real community being somewhat deceived. I said somewhat because MM is not really trying to hide this fact, but on the other hand this information will probably not be available to 95% of the community, and can be still viewed as intentional manipulation.

Although I have to admit that I don’t have a too great issue with this, but it is certainly a debatable thing they did.

donkey show said:
There were some other stipulations that limited our ability, but if we could've done that, we'd have covered way more ground. We did try to get the community who already had the game to build levels that had the genre we needed and was also multiplayer accessible, but they failed us, lol.

I believe this was a mistake on the MM's part. They probably were aware of all the stipulations in advance and as such could have brought to the community's attention much earlier and with a greater emphasis the need to have certain level genres created for the Guinness world record.

GeoramA

Just played Vile Anchorage for the first time. Fantastic level.

I sold LBP before it got proper water effects, so I'm just playing all the older stuff that I missed.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
GeoramA said:
Just played Vile Anchorage for the first time. Fantastic level.

I sold LBP before it got proper water effects, so I'm just playing all the older stuff that I missed.

I sort of wish the ending wasn't so anticlimactic. They spent the whole level building up this evil siren who shows up halfway through the level, says "Herp de derp you won't make it out alive," then disappears. The rest of the level is just platforming. Atmospheric, gorgeous, enjoyable platforming, but the whole story sort of just disappears into a series of jumps.

Stampy said:
I believe this was a mistake on the MM's part. They probably were aware of all the stipulations in advance and as such could have brought to the community's attention much earlier and with a greater emphasis the need to have certain level genres created for the Guinness world record.
Not really. All of us were somewhat in the air until the Guinness guy came over and ironed out the rules. During the live stream, we even had Danny and Johnee (level designers) list what genres we knew we were going to have problems with and asked the community to see if they can do it. I mean, even on their spare time, those two built a couple of levels on another PS3 that fit the genres which were uploaded to the servers for us to play and be counted. There were just so many what ifs involved that we wouldn't have been able to figure it out until we actually started.

RyanardoDaVinci (who I believe is a member of gaf) is a machine, my recent activity has a ton of levels he has played. I have been using your selections a lot so thanks.

Stampy

Snuggler said:
Yeah, for sure.
I'm not adding blood or anything extreme, but there are silhouettes of sackboys hanging from nooses and a few burning crosses as well. I think I have a sick mind if this is the kinda stuff I come up with, but it's fun to create a scary atmosphere and I can't help but laugh at something dark and morbid juxtaposed against the whimsical cutesyness of LBP.

There should be an 'adults-only' filter so we have free reign to make crass, violent and inappropriate levels.

Hmm, how about creating the most gruesome level you have planned, without having any inhibitions whatsoever, and then slightly editing it into a lighter version (which you would publish and tell people in the description of your dark and secret level hidden on your moon). For this hardcore version you would invite people to play it so they could actually experience how twisted and demented person you are. :D

Stampy

donkey show said:
Not really. All of us were somewhat in the air until the Guinness guy came over and ironed out the rules. During the live stream, we even had Danny and Johnee (level designers) list what genres we knew we were going to have problems with and asked the community to see if they can do it. I mean, even on their spare time, those two built a couple of levels on another PS3 that fit the genres which were uploaded to the servers for us to play and be counted. There were just so many what ifs involved that we wouldn't have been able to figure it out until we actually started.

Well then, this certainly is not professional from Guinness people to hold in secrecy all the rules. The point of this is probably to be as transparent as possible, and this certainly was not helpful to the cause. Oh well, record still broken. :)

BTW, I remember when I was watching you all play some kind of weird cardboard game, and someone was commenting how it cannot be classified into any of the genres planned. Now that was truly disappointing. Just because the genre was not prelisted does not mean it does not exist. Although I understand certain rules have to be established, I was expecting they would allow some degree of flexibility to it, even more since later on it can be examined and decided on if the acceptability of it is valid or not.

Stampy said:
Well then, this certainly is not professional from Guinness people to hold in secrecy all the rules. The point of this is probably to be as transparent as possible, and this certainly was not helpful to the cause. Oh well, record still broken. :)

BTW, I remember when I was watching you all play some kind of weird cardboard game, and someone was commenting how it cannot be classified into any of the genres planned. Now that was truly disappointing. Just because the genre was not prelisted does not mean it does not exist. Although I understand certain rules have to be established, I was expecting they would allow some degree of flexibility to it, even more since later on it can be examined and decided on if the acceptability of it is valid or not.
Yeah, there was definitely a bit of that going on with several levels as the list above seemed to be predetermined. On one of my levels that were played, I was hoping we could shoehorn in an educational genre as that is what is was meant to be, but I don't remember if there was any finalization on that. The only thing that probably made it hard to stamp out was due to the fact that the genre record was brand new versus pre-existing from what I understand. Second, since there were three of us, all of us had to be actively playing unless one of us went on break.

But hey, I'm okay with being in the record books for that at the moment, lol.

Stampy

donkey show said:
Yeah, there was definitely a bit of that going on with several levels as the list above seemed to be predetermined. On one of my levels that were played, I was hoping we could shoehorn in an educational genre as that is what is was meant to be, but I don't remember if there was any finalization on that. The only thing that probably made it hard to stamp out was due to the fact that the genre record was brand new versus pre-existing from what I understand. Second, since there were three of us, all of us had to be actively playing unless one of us went on break.

But hey, I'm okay with being in the record books for that at the moment, lol.

Oh well, two or three years down the road, if the record is lost, you can still do the 100 hour run and play all those missed genre levels. :D

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Someone, please tell me how to make an object with different up/down speeds (or in this case forward/backward, since it's a car)! I've tried using two movers, but that doesn't work at all. It doesn't move an inch in any direction with more than one mover.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ranger X said:
Wut?

As long as it's good stuff I'm fine with that.

Just found a pretty interesting level - Sniper Mission: Old Town. It's quite mindless in that you just pick people off through a sniper scope, but it's cool how it's implemented using the new features.

I am seriously stuck for ideas. It's frustrating having all the tools and logic and not being able to do anything with them.

Edit:

RoadHazard said:
Someone, please tell me how to make an object with different up/down speeds (or in this case forward/backward, since it's a car)! I've tried using two movers, but that doesn't work at all. It doesn't move an inch in any direction with more than one mover.
Just played around with this a bit, but all I used was an advanced mover with the left / right output connected to the thumbstick left / right input. The strength and how far you push the stick determines the speed.

Stampy said:
Oh well, two or three years down the road, if the record is lost, you can still do the 100 hour run and play all those missed genre levels. :D
LOL, I think I'll be fine with my framed plaque from this year.

Mechanical Snowman said:
I am seriously stuck for ideas. It's frustrating having all the tools and logic and not being able to do anything with them.

Just keep playing levels but don't force yourself to have an idea. The best one to work on is the one that comes unexpectedly. =)

RoadHazard said:
Someone, please tell me how to make an object with different up/down speeds (or in this case forward/backward, since it's a car)!

First, don't use multiple movers for that. Second, have you switched the mover in the options from ON to SPEED? That should get you to where you want.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mechanical Snowman said:
Just played around with this a bit, but all I used was an advanced mover with the left / right output connected to the thumbstick left / right input. The strength and how far you push the stick determines the speed.

I think you misunderstood me. I want the car to accelerate/reverse with X/[], and I want the reverse speed to be lower. Just can't figure this out.

donkey show said:
First, don't use multiple movers for that. Second, have you switched the mover in the options from ON to SPEED? That should get you to where you want.

I may have worded my question badly. I'm not talking about being able to control the speed. Let's try again: I want one button to drive forward and one to reverse, and I want these two speeds to be different. Going in reverse should be slower. The problem is that one mover can only have one speed. I can't set the "down" speed to be lower.

I'm using X and Square for this, and I'm using timers (the ones that go up as they get input and then go back down as the input disappears) to get smooth acceleration/deceleration (yes, just using the acceleration settings for the mover could do this as well, but then you can't turn when you release the gas). If I could somehow just make the timer for reverse driving not go all the way up, but get stuck halfway, I could solve it. Not sure how to do that though.

RoadHazard said:
I think you misunderstood me. I want the car to accelerate/reverse with X/[], and I want the reverse speed to be lower. Just can't figure this out.
Yeah, I read your post wrong. :)

Edit: Your initial method should have worked. I've just put two movers on a controllinator attached a block with wheels, the square making the car reverse and x making it accelerate.

To reverse, set the speed to minus instead of plus. You can edit the speed of each mover.

Edit 2: Just noticed you're using timers so your logic set up is probably different to mine.

Edit 3: If you're using the no gravity trick to make a car in the top-down view, then disregard this post :lol.

StuBurns

Banned
r4z4 said:
I finished the story mode this evening. Did not come across any water in the main levels. Have not been through all the mini-levels yet though.
There's at least one, 'Root Canal', and it's pretty awesome.

Maybe someone knows, has the swimming changed much? Is the Pirates thing lots of swimming? How is the Marvel stuff?

RoadHazard said:
I may have worded my question badly. I'm not talking about being able to control the speed. Let's try again: I want one button to drive forward and one to reverse, and I want these two speeds to be different. Going in reverse should be slower. The problem is that one mover can only have one speed. I can't set the "down" speed to be lower.

(I'm using X and Square for this, and I'm using timers to get smooth acceleration/deceleration.)
Hmm, I've not played the game yet and therefore haven't had experience with the new tools, but maybe you could attach a second (faster) timer to the original timer that only activates with reverse, therefore stopping it part way and producing a slower maximum speed (I'm presuming this is all circuit board based).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mechanical Snowman said:
Yeah, I read your post wrong. :)

Edit: Your initial method should have worked. I've just put two movers on a controllinator attached a block with wheels, the square making the car reverse and x making it accelerate.

To reverse, set the speed to minus instead of plus. You can edit the speed of each mover.

This doesn't work for me though. With two movers connected to the same controlinator none of them will do anything at all.

OgTheClever said:
Hmm, I've not played the game yet and therefore haven't had experience with the new tools, but maybe you could attach a second (faster) timer to the original timer that only activates with reverse, therefore stopping it part way and producing a slower maximum speed (I'm presuming this is all circuit board based).

I've thought about using an extra timer in some way, but I can't figure out how...

mr_boo

Another Silly Question: I'm going to pick up LBP2 Collector's Edition after work...I could've swore that I read some where that different costumes were available depending on where you purchased (e.g., purchase from Amazon gave Ratchet and Clank). Can someone verify this?

mr_boo said:
Another Silly Question: I'm going to pick up LBP2 Collector's Edition after work...I could've swore that I read some where that different costumes were available depending on where you purchased (e.g., purchase from Amazon gave Ratchet and Clank). Can someone verify this?
the CE version you get all the preorder bonus costumes. regardless of where you got it from.

Stampy

Mechanical Snowman said:

With LBP1 I was in the opposite spectrum. It was something like. "I am seriously stuck for technical proficiency. It's frustrating having all those ideas and not being able to do anything artistically and technically meaningful with the tools provided in the game." With LBP2 I hope my approach will be: "I don't give a damn." And that consequently my productivity rate will be much higher.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
TTP said:
As long as it's good stuff I'm fine with that.
I commented on the tower defense level in this thread, might even be on this page. I linked it and reviewed it in-game. It's probably the best level I've played. I don't care who made it, it's brilliant. And I never knew any MM employees made these levels. Doesn't bother me.

Top Bottom