• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ok, now the network issues are preventing me from even playing the local story levels. I got stuck in an online loading loop, so I used the controller trick to escape it. Then I went to play a story level on my own instead, and it refuses to load. It just keeps loading and loading, and nothing happens. Can't escape it, even with the controller trick. Circle button does nothing. This is fucking ridiculous. It's a local level, FFS! It's on the disc! Fix this shit, Mm.

EDIT: Signing out of PSN fixed it. But seriously. Not acceptable.

snap0212

donkey show said:
Hmmm, press square on any section of the sequencer. You should see a timing bar start moving from the point of where you pressed. It just might be stuck.
I was thinking about music in downloaded levels. :/ I haven't tried to create my own tracks so I don't know if we are talking about the same thing? :)

snap0212 said:
I was thinking about music in downloaded levels. :/ I haven't tried to create my own tracks so I don't know if we are talking about the same thing? :)
Ohhh, I got you. I'm pretty sure it's an error on the creator's side. =)

RoadHazard said:
Ok, now the network issues are preventing me from even playing the local story levels. I got stuck in an online loading loop, so I used the controller trick to escape it. Then I went to play a story level on my own instead, and it refuses to load. It just keeps loading and loading, and nothing happens. Can't escape it, even with the controller trick. Circle button does nothing. This is fucking ridiculous. It's a local level, FFS! It's on the disc! Fix this shit, Mm.

my not bad at all

any way DeviantART contest

http://news.deviantart.com/article/141527/

Sackboy and his friends are back in LittleBigPlanet 2, the most customizable installation in the series yet. Always wanted to create your own LittleBigPlanet level? Well now you can! DeviantART and Sony PlayStation are giving you a chance to flex your creative muscle and envision a level of your very own!

We’ll give you official assets from the game which you're free to either use in your entry or just use as inspiration. Whether your entry is completely digital, a clay sculpture, or even a collage from paper print-outs, the visual medium of your entry is up to you!

Levels will be judged on Creative Use of the Assets Provided, Sense of Fun, and Technical Skill. Don’t let Sackboy and his friends miss out on the awesome level you can create!

Entry must be received by 11:59:59 PM (PT) on February 18, 2011 and be submitted to the Contest gallery on www.deviantart.com "click here."

Entrants must be at least 13 years old;
Entries must be in a single PNG or JPG file;
Entries may originate in any visual medium;
Entries must be made for this contest;
Entries may not use any watermarks or distinguishing artist marks (such as signatures);
Entrant may use the assets provided in the entry;
You may submit more than one entry;
Online entries only, hard copies not accepted;
You must be a member of deviantART to enter. Membership is free.
Other requirements and restrictions apply, please read the Official Rules carefully.

1st pize

A Sony PlayStation 3 (320GB)
A copy of LittleBigPlanet 2 Collector's Edition
$600 USD
12,000 deviantART Points
A deviantART shirt of winner’s choice (depending on availability)
A one year Premium Membership to deviantART

nataku

RoadHazard said:

Yeah, same issue here. So frustrating.

Edgeward

Man, today is a mess for me. Long, long loading times on start-up. Can't connect to certain people as I'm hit with the infinite loading bug and when I do get on with someone I get kicked out as soon as the level ends, complete with long loading times. And it was fine for me until today.

ZeroRay

Haven't encountered the glitch yet.

As for my impressions, awesome game. Really glad I bought this. The demo had me worried but it seems they improved a lot from it.

Karish

jesus christ this game is unplayable sometimes, I'm getting the infinite loading even on story mode! I love it but c'mon!

Blakero said:
jesus christ this game is unplayable sometimes, I'm getting the infinite loading even on story mode! I love it but c'mon!

Sign out. It's trying to connect you with other people and that doesn't seem to be working right now.

nilbog21

Banned
Hey guys I need some honest opinions. I'm thinking about buying this game to play w/ my gf, but I regret buying the first one for full price. Its a cute game, but the gameplay is really simple and somewhat repetitive, and the online maps were awful.. Wanted to know if this one was really worth buying for full price, or if I should wait until price drop. thx :)

Karish

So I've seen the video where you can adjust gravity, but are there any levels out there that make good use of this new feature? I'm playing a mario level right now but its still floaty, wish they'd implement the new gravity...

I think it's worth full price. I didn't care much for the story mode in LBP but it's amazing this time around. The creation tools seem more accessible and have a lot of great new additions , plus and already we have some very interesting community levels to play (that tower defense game is really cool). Maybe give it a rent first if you're really on the fence, but I'm loving it.

Ranger X

nilbog21 said:
Hey guys I need some honest opinions. I'm thinking about buying this game to play w/ my gf, but I regret buying the first one for full price. Its a cute game, but the gameplay is really simple and somewhat repetitive, and the online maps were awful.. Wanted to know if this one was really worth buying for full price, or if I should wait until price drop. thx :)

Honestly? I think LBP1 was worth every single penny you could invest in. And the user levels were absolutely astonishing. It's just that you had the same problem (not your fault but more the game's) that is to find the great stuff.
Now LBP2 is even better than LBP1 but it's not like you will suddendly drool this time around if you didn't like the fact it's platformer game or Sackboy's feel.

Also, this thread might help you:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419479

:)

mclem

nilbog21 said:

Well, I'd say yes, but then I found the gameplay in the first excellent with great online maps if you did a bit of research, so I'm not sure my opinion is all that helpful for you.

Objectively I would say that LBP2 has a *lot* more variety, including more in the way of interestingly puzzley levels, which I thought the first game went a bit light on; I doubt you'd find it as repetitive as the first, although if you inherently dislike platforming mechanics, they do still form the heart of the majority of the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
nilbog21 said:

LBP2 has way more variety in the story levels than LBP1. And then there's the community levels, which are already coming along nicely. There are seriously different kinds of games to play, not just different levels. LBP2 has the potential to keep giving for many years (moreso than LBP1), and it's worth every penny. Buy it.

(The network issues we're experiencing right now are a pain in the ass, but if you're mainly gonna play it locally with your girlfriend that's not an issue. Downloading levels has worked fine every time for me, it's just playing with others online that has been troublesome.)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The most fun i had in lbp1 was making vehicles(hover crafts,cars,buggy,monster trucks). Just random messing around with the level editor(trying to make physics toys, trebuchets,catapults etc.) . I only published one level. A suspension buggy level that had quite a few plays and hearts. Due to not being able to sit in a vehicle the proper way i had to hack things together and base control off of grabbing a sponge.

Being a computer engineer I always wanted more logic pieces in the game. After seeing the "microchip" feature in this one I think I may have to run to the store and purchase the game after I get some work done today.

Truth be told, I really don't have a lot of time to play( working on a PhD now) but I think that devoting a few minutes to some creation every day and some more time on the weekends will be a good diversion and help me with some much needed stress relief. I have really been putting gaming on the back burner. Not really because of lack of time but because I have had a problem finding a game to keep my interest(still have mass effect and demon souls in the plastic sitting in front of my tv).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's amazing how much progress MM has made with their level design since 1. I'm not too far into story mode, but this is really wonderfully enjoyable stuff.

Just got through the 3rd world, I like the game but I dont think the levels have the same charm as LBP. World 3 seemed like one long level hardly any variety, just leading sackbots (which I thought was awesome) but hell even the boss fight had you doing it. Does it get any better?

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Is anyone else having problems getting into levels? It just took me 5 minutes to get into a level in story mode.

try playing through signed out of psn for now, my game had a few problems just getting into my pod when i started today ;(

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The game played perfectly last weekend, before release. No errors, glitches, anything.

After Tuesday it now takes far too long for levels to load. :-/

I spent the afternoon going through all of LittleBigPlanet 2's tutorials. They've really opened up the potential and made a lot of tasks much easier. I had my game design written down on paper with all the components (I thought) I'd need to make it work.

Four hours later (and just an intro screen built) I kinda gave up. Unfortunately I just don't have the trial and error patience and time to make things on-screen happen as though I want them to in my head. That's not a fault of the game by the way, it's totally my own problem.

HOWEVER, what I do feel is missing from the game is the tutorial process. I like the tutorials on the disc. I had a good time with them, they were funny and rewarding and taught me everything I needed to know about the particular elements of of the Create mode. That said, I do think they could go further with this. After going through all the tutorials I had my all the theory in my head and ready to go. Diagrams of emitters and pistons and blocks and all sorts. I expected to make mistakes and get things wrong, but I figured I knew where I was heading to create my concept close to how I wanted it. But in reality, while my theory felt correct, I just didn't have the experience and grasp on LittleBigPlanet level creation to really get my idea running as I intended. I need practical knowledge to learn, I think. I don't think bouncing the teddybear around is enough.

Which is where I think Media Molecule needs to step in. What I'd propose is a serious of Workshop type tutorials. Drop me in the Create mode with a narrator and a video of what I need to do, and walk me through the steps of creating a full level. Allow me to save at any time so I can leave and pick it back up. Monitor what I'm doing so if I pick up the wrong component or stick it in the wrong place, tell me what I did and why it won't work. The end result being the game's walked me through a level from start to finish. Then I've got something to play at the end of it. Workshops could be segmented into different categories such as: "Twin Stick Shooter", "Platformer", "Racer". All bare-bones things, but enough to give n00bs and understanding of the mechanics. It would teach you what components did but in a PRACTICAL, game design circumstances.

In their current state the tutorials teach me how to create a controllinator and how to program AI. They teach me how to use emitters and the gameplay sequencer. What they don't teach me is how to make a game where I control a space-craft with the joysticks, shoot with the X button, and have other space-ships follow me and shoot back. Now I can derive certain things from the tutorials about how I MIGHT get that to work, but the reality is I'm going to need upwards of 25 hours dedicated to the concept and trial and error to get it working. I understand that's part of the beauty, but more tutorials and guidance would lead to more (and better) creators.

I'm not asking for a "make amazing level now" button. Just more guidance.

(By the way: I do absolutely ADORE this game. Just an idea as someone who struggles with Create mode.)

get2sammyb said:
I spent the afternoon going through all of LittleBigPlanet 2's tutorials. They've really opened up the potential and made a lot of tasks much easier. I had my game design written down on paper with all the components (I thought) I'd need to make it work.

Four hours later (and just an intro screen built) I kinda gave up. Unfortunately I just don't have the trial and error patience and time to make things on-screen happen as though I want them to in my head. That's not a fault of the game by the way, it's totally my own problem.

HOWEVER, what I do feel is missing from the game is the tutorial process. I like the tutorials on the disc. I had a good time with them, they were funny and rewarding and taught me everything I needed to know about the particular elements of of the Create mode. That said, I do think they could go further with this. After going through all the tutorials I had my all the theory in my head and ready to go. Diagrams of emitters and pistons and blocks and all sorts. I expected to make mistakes and get things wrong, but I figured I knew where I was heading to create my concept close to how I wanted it. But in reality, while my theory felt correct, I just didn't have the experience and grasp on LittleBigPlanet level creation to really get my idea running as I intended. I need practical knowledge to learn, I think. I don't think bouncing the teddybear around is enough.

Which is where I think Media Molecule needs to step in. What I'd propose is a serious of Workshop type tutorials. Drop me in the Create mode with a narrator and a video of what I need to do, and walk me through the steps of creating a full level. Allow me to save at any time so I can leave and pick it back up. Monitor what I'm doing so if I pick up the wrong component or stick it in the wrong place, tell me what I did and why it won't work. The end result being the game's walked me through a level from start to finish. Then I've got something to play at the end of it. Workshops could be segmented into different categories such as: "Twin Stick Shooter", "Platformer", "Racer". All bare-bones things, but enough to give n00bs and understanding of the mechanics. It would teach you what components did but in a PRACTICAL, game design circumstances.

In their current state the tutorials teach me how to create a controllinator and how to program AI. They teach me how to use emitters and the gameplay sequencer. What they don't teach me is how to make a game where I control a space-craft with the joysticks, shoot with the X button, and have other space-ships follow me and shoot back. Now I can derive certain things from the tutorials about how I MIGHT get that to work, but the reality is I'm going to need upwards of 25 hours dedicated to the concept and trial and error to get it working. I understand that's part of the beauty, but more tutorials and guidance would lead to more (and better) creators.

I'm not asking for a "make amazing level now" button. Just more guidance.

(By the way: I do absolutely ADORE this game. Just an idea as someone who struggles with Create mode.)
Good post.

I love that they've included all this logic but it has upped the complexity a lot; I feel that unless you're a programmer, or at least dabbled in it, most of the new stuff would take a while to grasp.

If you're having trouble with this particular aspect of create, you should play some Community levels and try and win some contraptions that other players have made, and then reverse-engineer them in create mode.

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?127-LBP2-Tutorials

LBP Central also has a sub-forum dedicated to user made tutorials which should be more in depth than the mini ones given to you in the game. These might cater more to your preference for being guided through the making of something specific, rather than learning how to make something basic and then being left alone to try and apply what you learned to the bigger picture.

There might not be much on there at the moment but there should be some helpful ones if you look around a bit The guys over there have been using complex logic even in LBP 1, so that's the place to go if you want to learn IMO.

donkey show said:
That doesn't seem too hard. I mean I did a hybrid DMC/Dynasty Warriors battle system in the beta, lol.
;P well i wasn't in the beta.

3 more levels in the last world to ace and i'll 100% the story levels.

Teknoman

donkey show said:
Somebody in the beta was rocking a FFXIII battle system as well. :)

Hopefully they'll return for retail. I cant even imagine how XIII's battle system would look in 2d.

As far as Kingdom Hearts goes, that would probably be sorta easy to put together. Just a series of emitters, and a selection bar similar to that atb video for attack, blizzard, fire, and thunder.

EDIT: yeah something similar to Ninja Raiden.

WEGGLES

Love Amazon so much :)
Hello

I pre-ordered the limited edition of Little Big Planet 2, which was supposed to give me a $20 credit for pre-ordering. I've never had an amazon credit before, I was just wondering if it's been applied to my account and where to find it.

Thank-you for any assistance.

Hello,

To take advantage of this type of offer, you must click the yellow "Add both to Cart" button on either product's detail page to add both items to your Shopping Cart. The discount will not be applied if you add the items to your cart separately. I apologize for any misunderstanding regarding how this discount works.

I have requested a refund of $20.00 to reflect the discount you expected to receive. This refund should be issued to your credit card within the next 2 to 3 business days. We will send you another e-mail to let you know when it has been completed.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to write back to us using this link.

Not sure what the bold part means. It just said Pre-order for a $20 credit... but that's fine :p

Too bad it won't be here til the 25th ;_;

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The soundtrack is amazing. I'm really loving some of the tracks, especially the electronic stuff that plays later in the story mode. Baiyon's track is probably my favorite, it's so infectious, that dude is fuckin awesome.

Anyways, quick question. I know that KB/M controls aren't in the game (yet?), but can I still use a USB keyboard to type in text in my Create levels? It would be a little easier than typing with the DS3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
donkey show said:
Somebody in the beta was rocking a FFXIII battle system as well. :)

Oh lord.

I really want to see the FPS level(s) and this now. It sucks they didn't bring the beta levels over like they did the first. The calculator in LBP1's beta is what made me buy the first game FFS. :|

TheSeks said:
Oh lord.

I really want to see the FPS level(s) and this now. It sucks they didn't bring the beta levels over like they did the first. The calculator in LBP1's beta is what made me buy the first game FFS. :|
geek.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Snuggler said:
Anyways, quick question. I know that KB/M controls aren't in the game (yet?), but can I still use a USB keyboard to type in text in my Create levels? It would be a little easier than typing with the DS3.

Yes. And you no longer have to use the virtual keyboard option in the pop-it to do it. There's even a mini-log at the top left of the screen for text chat. So nice of MM. :D (And yes, I know they patched the virtual keyboard requirement out of LBP1 ages ago)

DMPrince said:

NO U.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oh man, I'm trying to ace the firefly level... and it's being a total asshole! There are so many points to die on that level. I liked it the first time I played it (when I wasn't bothered with trying to ace it), but now I absolutely hate it. Die, level of Hell.

CozMick

Banned
Is there anyway to delete Community Photos that are in the Stickers category?

I have 2 stickers from LBP1 that I want to delete but it's only giving me the option to USE and EXPORT TO HDD :(

CozMick said:
Is there anyway to delete Community Photos that are in the Stickers category?

I have 2 stickers from LBP1 that I want to delete but it's only giving me the option to USE and EXPORT TO HDD :(

Triangle

new level come along good still got every thing working so good

seady

I am finishing LBP1 before going into LBP2. It also having a lot of trouble finding online games. Infinite loads, slowdowns, freeze etc etc.

CozMick said:
It isn't working for the Photos in the Stickers list :(

How the fuck they got there I have no idea, but they are definitely community ones and not my own.

GOTY? they in the game just close go over community stickers and press X should close it good to do that with other you nor use

Top Bottom