• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

Played some LBP2 today. I'm shocked Media Molecule hasn't gotten more flack for shipping a completely broken game for online. You'd think after they failed the first time, they would have fixed it by now.

mclem

marathonfool said:
Played some LBP2 today. I'm shocked Media Molecule hasn't gotten more flack for shipping a completely broken game for online. You'd think after they failed the first time, they would have fixed it by now.

I suspect that the game itself is actually okay, the problem lies with the servers not coping with demand - which wouldn't show up with a small-scale beta.

I just ordered LBP2 myself last night. £40 is a lot of money for me, though, right now. I hope I get my moneys worth from it. The beta was fun but I really wanted more toys and gadgets to play with in create mode. Plus really looking forward to Story mode.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
CozMick said:
Stephen Fry's VO in the TV Ad is a guaranteed hit :D

They have Stephen Fry in the ad VO? I saw some ads on Irish TV and they had an awful voiceover (localised, was an irish accent), which frankly made the whole ad awful IMO. I was glad to see them advertising it though, on prime time slots.

Toki767 said:
For some reason I'm having trouble acing the final stage even though it seems so easy. Stupid grappling hook always screws me over.

I still really like the game though.
just hang around at the buttom jumping on the bounce pad. try to land on top of the other bounce pad and hop away from the boss. When you see Bee coming place yourself on the bottom bounce pad as they'll stop in front of it so you can get to the weakpoint.

jiggles

Banned
gofreak said:
They have Stephen Fry in the ad VO? I saw some ads on Irish TV and they had an awful voiceover (localised, was an irish accent), which frankly made the whole ad awful IMO. I was glad to see them advertising it though, on prime time slots.

I haven't seen that yet, but it can't be as bad as the Move's "Ock, did ye SEE that backhand?"

Ranger X

mclem said:
I suspect that the game itself is actually okay, the problem lies with the servers not coping with demand - which wouldn't show up with a small-scale beta.

Well, to me the connection quality is part of what they must ship as "fully fonctional" with the game. It's one and the same for the customer. They should have anticipated a bigger load, it was a fucking given.

At least the game itself seems a tad less broken than LBP1. But I didn't dig deep in the create mode yet...

The funny thing is that they did expect the bigger load and it totally exceeded that. They're working on it though so don't worry about it too much.

Tkawsome said:
Also, since you're the pro, what's an effective way to make enemy weapons? Right now I'm just trying to learn the system, so my enemy just changes into a hazardous material and runs faster at me. What's a good way to have him shoot stuff? An emitter seems too random to create any reliable attack.
Are you using Sackbots as enemies?

ameratsu

marathonfool said:

I have experienced enough day 1 online problems with ps3 games that I'm not surprised when it happens anymore. Still, I hope to see a patch/fix soon so I can enjoy some online goodness.

ijed said:
From here:
http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?44239-Sackbot-A.I-and-Logic-Tutorials

Moves an object based on it's orientation rather than according to the screen i.e rotate an object then try to move it right - in World space it will move to the right of the screen, in local space it will move whichever way the object thinks is right.

Check out - 'Control analog signal with digital signal and vice-versa' vid here for another possible method:
http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/sh...river-s-video-tutorials-from-beta(still-valid
Oh hell, that's the stuff right there, thanks! I was trying to redo my work kind of like that, but with a full slot and battery for each 0.1 of a point of power and it was getting massive. that's really cool and simple.

see5harp

God damn the online issues are frustrating. I think a majority of the people playing online (a lot) now realize the issues and just deny you when you want to play coop. Even when it was working on Saturday for me and a buddy, I'd play through a good 1/3 of a level before the guy even spawned. I enjoyed most of the single player game but online issues definitely making things sour. I will say that for as magical and amazing as the entire presentation is, I think I've become more frustrated with the jump button in this game that my entire 7,000 death playthrough of Super Meat Boy.

Deadstar

So I don't really get what you can import from LBP1. It seems to import costumes, stickers and materials. Did the music and sound effects from LBP1 come over as well or only music that was dlc? I haven't been able to test it yet and it would be a shame to lose all the great music that was in lbp1.

I'm very very sad about not being able to connect to anyone online. I've messed around in the Create mode, but what I really bought this for was online multiplayer.

Most people deny me now when I try to join their game and I suppose for good reason, my boyfriend already gave up this Saturday trying to play, it's not worth it sitting through all the loading and then either never moving on from the loading screen or getting your hopes up when the game seems to be on the right track, then having it fail.

We have not had one successful connection since we got the game on Thursday. I was optimistic this weekend but today I feel screwed.

CozMick

Banned
Deadstar said:
So I don't really get what you can import from LBP1. It seems to import costumes, stickers and materials. Did the music and sound effects from LBP1 come over as well or only music that was dlc? I haven't been able to test it yet and it would be a shame to lose all the great music that was in lbp1.

I do know that the music that you use in created levels carries over, not sure about the rest.

I had to delete my LBP2 save file and start over without Importing my LBP1 because there is currently a bug for some people that stops things from working in the game :(

jayb

TTP said:
Try applying a follow mover to it and tweak the strength. I've noticed when such a mover is applied, it sort of cancels inertia.

Also try using TWO advanced movers. One connected to up/down. And the other one to left/right. Advanced movers also have a on/off input, so perhaps u can try connecting the left/right stick input to the on/off input of Advanced mover the up/down input is connected to.

Or either, you could connect them to the D-Pad instead of the stick.

Madman said:
Ok, I think I know what you need. You're gonna need 2 direction splitters and 4 movers. Each mover will need to have individual settings so that one will go up, one will go down, one left and one right. Then hook up the d-pad's left/right and up/down outputs into the two direction splitters. Finally, hook each of the 4 outputs from the direction splitter to the appropriate mover. This should give you strict up/down/left/right movement.

I ended up using several follow movers and tags + 1 Look at Rotator + 1 simple mover (with local context turned on) to make an object only turn at right angles.

The other suggested methods wouldn't cancel inertia to prevent diagonal movement.

Deadstar said:
Everything you've gained transfers over, music, costumes, sounds, materials from DLC, etc. In fact, if you missed out on purchasing a particular DLC in LBP1, you can still purchase it now and it will be read by LBP2 without any extra need for importing.

Ferrio

Banned
Incitemaybe said:
I'm very very sad about not being able to connect to anyone online. I've messed around in the Create mode, but what I really bought this for was online multiplayer.

Most people deny me now when I try to join their game and I suppose for good reason, my boyfriend already gave up this Saturday trying to play, it's not worth it sitting through all the loading and then either never moving on from the loading screen or getting your hopes up when the game seems to be on the right track, then having it fail.

We have not had one successful connection since we got the game on Thursday. I was optimistic this weekend but today I feel screwed.

Ya, it's pretty stupid. MM should be getting slammed in the scores for this but they're not. Not only the connection problems, but I *think* by default you're set to auto denying people you don't know. Hell I've started denying people since the game's connection sucks so much it usually just breaks and screws my game up.

Ferrio said:
Ya, it's pretty stupid. MM should be getting slammed in the scores for this but they're not. Not only the connection problems, but I *think* by default you're set to auto denying people you don't know.
You're not. You have to set that yourself.

Grisby

Incitemaybe said:

I still hate getting rejected and then sent into the level anyways.

Deadstar

donkey show said:
Everything you've gained transfers over, music, costumes, sounds, materials from DLC, etc. In fact, if you missed out on purchasing a particular DLC in LBP1, you can still purchase it now and it will be read by LBP2 without any extra need for importing.

So this includes music that was on the lbp1 disc?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
mclem said:

The fact that you get stuck in infinite loading loops because of the connection issues means that the game is not okay. A fully functional game would get you out of there when you can't connect.

(Yes, I know about the controller trick, which usually works, but that's no excuse.)

jayb said:
I ended up using several follow movers and tags + 1 Look at Rotator + 1 simple mover (with local context turned on) to make an object only turn at right angles.

The other suggested methods wouldn't cancel inertia to prevent diagonal movement.

How did you even manage to get several movers working together? Any time I have more than one mover connected to the same controlinator they all refuse to do anything at all.

see5harp

The Praiseworthy said:
photovml.jpg

I'm really turned apart now... which game to start first :\

I will start play tomorrow aka my 25th birthday.... but which one first!!!

I like your Snow Leopard mayne.

Deadstar

That is fantastic! I hadn't done all the tutorials yet and so it locked me out of a lot of the basic menus. I can't wait to get creating. There are so many options now. I just finished the sackbot levels yesterday and they really blew me away.

I also loved using the
water gun to get rid of the flames on the tree level.

Deadstar said:
That is fantastic! I hadn't done all the tutorials yet and so it locked me out of a lot of the basic menus. I can't wait to get creating. There are so many options now. I just finished the sackbot levels yesterday and they really blew me away.

I also loved using the
water gun to get rid of the flames on the tree level.
just scroll all the way down and click "unlock all tutorials" you get all items and everything.

but if you want the tutorial trophy you actually have to view all tutorial (just click each one and run to the exit and leave) LOL

A little disappointed in single player. LBP1 had better platforming and puzzles, the themes were more fun and consistent, and there was some challenge at least in the later levels.

I like all the new mechanics, but the unlockable side levels used them better than the main ones which felt too vehicle and gadget-oriented and didn't take the platformer/puzzle possibilities nearly far enough.

Guess I can skip tutorials. Sweet.

donkey show said:
Are you using Sackbots as enemies?

Yeah. I couldn't figure out how to make normal enemies that did more then just roll from side to side, I also haven't figured out how to set up any logic to the normal enemies so I'm trying it out with Sackbots.

Tkawsome said:
Yeah. I couldn't figure out how to make normal enemies that did more then just roll from side to side, I also haven't figured out how to set up any logic to the normal enemies so I'm trying it out with Sackbots.
I guess it really depends on what you want to do as an enemy attack. Personally, I initially found using Sackbots as enemies harder than normal objects simply due to the fact that they are subjected to the same rules as a normal Sackboy... to a certain degree. Yet, there's a huuuuuuuuuuuuge potential for them once you get into the swing of things because if you take a look at a controlinator when placed in a Sackbot microchip, you can put inputs into the buttons, which essentially can lead to a pretty beasty AI build if you're willing to put the time into it. I messed around with that near the end of the beta and there were some pretty awesome results that obviously gave you way more freedom than a combination of prebaked and recorded animations/actions.

But holograms are the best in attempting to make sackbot weapons, attacks, etc. that are either emitted or connected to a hologram that follows the sackbot.

jayb

RoadHazard said:
How did you even manage to get several movers working together? Any time I have more than one mover connected to the same controlinator they all refuse to do anything at all.

I don't. The controlinator is hooked to tags.

The controlinator's left/right d-pad button is hooked to one direction splitter, and the up/down button is hooked to another direction splitter. Then the outputs of those splitters are hooked to 4 tags that surround the object. That way when I press a button, the corresponding tag activates, which causes the Look at Rotator to spin towards it.

There is one simple mover hooked to the object with local context on, so that when the look at rotator spins to another direction, the mover moves the object in the same direction.

I also have follow movers hooked to the same circuit boards as the 4 tags to ensure that they keep inline with the moving object.

my explanation is probably clear as mud, sorry.

if you want to control multiple advanced movers with one controlinator, I think you have to set up the primary controlinator as a transmitter, and then have secondary controlinators set up as recievers that control multiple advanced movers.

I like that with movers I can create moving floating platforms. The problem is you can use any of the dark or light matter, then the platform doesn't move. With other material it will fall with weight. So I had to put an anti gravity thing on and dampen the gravity and it mostly works but it can still be pushed down. So annoying.

ijed said:
Easiest way could be to rotate the camera 180 degrees. ;)

With a sackbot you'd need a mover constantly pushing the sackboy up towards the roof whenever he's not jumping (NOT gate and mover on jump button would do this), then when you jump a mover to move him down.
also need a Gyroscope to point him downwards.

Edit: Also all these Create mode questions in this and the recommendations thread - do we need another thread? Was thinking a 'Create thread for Colab and Q&A' in the community section would be good - requesting tunes/artwork for levels, promoting synergy and shit.

Cant do the rotate camera, I want different obstacles on the ceiling.

I will try your method. And yeah we should have a create thread.

Deadstar

Confidence Man said:
A little disappointed in single player. LBP1 had better platforming and puzzles, the themes were more fun and consistent, and there was some challenge at least in the later levels.

I like all the new mechanics, but the unlockable side levels used them better than the main ones which felt too vehicle and gadget-oriented and didn't take the platformer/puzzle possibilities nearly far enough.

Guess I can skip tutorials. Sweet.

Yeah I think I would agree. The levels in LBP2 so far have been awesome and fun but something feels different than it was in the first game. It would be cool if someone created all the story levels from LBP1 and put them in LBP2. I wonder if that is possible. I'd like to replay those levels again. I could always throw in LBP1 but it would be great to have them all in one game.

And with the tutorials....I'd skip them all but I really want to understand how everything works so I'll have to take the time to go through every one.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
jayb said:
+1 on the Create Q&A thread

EDIT: unless we can use the user levels thread for that?

I think questions about the editor deserve their own thread. The questions are bound to keep rolling in, so better not to "contaminate" the other threads with them (which I've been doing myself, in this thread).

Neptune

To post an update on my earlier troubles getting the game to work, I am happy to report that I managed to resolve the issue! All it took was deleting the game data and save game of the original LittleBigPlanet, and since then, the game has been loading and performing flawlessly.

The game itself, now that I'm well into it, is excellent. I've stuck to the offline single-player mode thus far, and I'm really enjoying the new tools and added variety. I'm plowing quickly and steadily through the story levels and doing my best to Ace and 100% all the levels as I go. I'm at the final world I think, and I'm pleased with myself for handling all the 2x / 3x / 4x prize bubbles alone with 4 controllers!

BeeDog

Finally aced all levels. Those two levels in the last world that caused major problems yesterday were aced on the first try today. -_-

Tried some community levels seriously for the first time today, and there are some really good creations already. The panda rescue level was probably the highlight.

Brannon

If I want to make my sackbot shoot things, do I get a material, add something lethal to it, add antigravity to keep it going straight, and use an emitter?

jayb

Brannon said:
If I want to make my sackbot shoot things, do I get a material, add something lethal to it, add antigravity to keep it going straight, and use an emitter?

I haven't tried it, but I thought I saw an option in the Sackbot's tweak menu to give it a creatinator.

Ranger X

Deadstar said:

Everything is imported. Stickers, materials, objects, pictures, decorations, music, sound effects, tools and costumes.

Stampy

jayb said:
+1 on the Create Q&A thread

EDIT: unless we can use the user levels thread for that?

Raises hand for another thread. Questions get lost in this one too easily. Furthermore, first post in that topic could also have a constantly updated list of all Q&A's with a link to the post(s) with an answer.

Ranger X

Why do you guys want a Create mode thread??

Community stuff is in my other thread and what will be the use of this very OT we are in? Talking about the fucking boxart? pricepoint?

I mean, this very thread we are in should be used for talking/asking about the game itself (aka the create mode too).

Stampy

Ranger X said:
Why do you guys want a Create mode thread??

Community stuff is in my other thread and what will be the use of this very OT we are in? Talking about the fucking boxart? pricepoint?

I mean, this very thread we are in should be used for talking/asking about the game itself (aka the create mode too).

I guess the power of marketing took over our minds. :p We see everything in categories of play/create/share, and hence, categorically speaking, we saw a need for three threads, just for achieving the symmetry. :D

Vaux

mclem said:
dont know if its the servers not coping with the demand, cause i had the same infinite loading loop problems when subway sent me the game 4 days early and their was hardly anyone online.

Top Bottom