• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

Deviantart is hosting a "create your own little big planet 2 level contest". Here is my entry:
Little Big Limbo
fdbf8e9b44f438c2e1c5317da6ae79e0-d37y9ms.jpg

Wish I had the game :(

Ok, finally done with my first version of this thing.

So I wanted to rig up an analogue speed control for the pachinko shot.
I also need to make sure each emitter was on a pair of AND gates.
I needed to hook that up to a counter to limit the number of shots
the other end when to the battery array and the shooting button
Finally, I wanted to reset the shot power at zero for each shot so people wouldn't just find a good spot and leave it there.
All of that looks like this,
HPIM0812.jpg

To be honest, it's not terribly complicated, but I'm new to the tools

The biggest issue I had with LBP was never getting any feedback from people about my level. So, please give it a shot and tell me how I can improve it. I would actually like to start recreating real pachinko machines in LPB, but I need to work on user interface. I could really use some suggestions on that.

'Musamura Gauge All 15 v.1' is up now.

I am having a problem completing the Rookie Challenge.

After I get the Cheese sticker, I travel to the Right where Larry Da Vinci is supposed to be standing to tell me about the bounce pads. The bounce pads then activate and let me collect stickers, leading to the next area opening for me.

My problem: Larry Da Vinci isn't appearing. Thus the bounce pads aren't activating and I can't progress.

Am I doing something wrong? I tried re-starting the level but that didn't work.

Also, loading times seem horrendous. I think I installed the game (I did if it is mandatory), but it seems to be Loading all the time and generally killing an otherwise immersive experience. Anyway to speed those load times up times up?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I vote we should have a thread for CREATE MODE.

Also did anyone ever post a thread in the online forum for level recommendations? "MM Picks" are fine and all but I feel like GAF could give some good level recommendations too.

snap0212

DMPrince said:
everyone gets it. they even get it during those "infinite loading".
Nice. Then I'll just have to find a couple of people who also want to get everything. Would be awesome if you could just search for people who are trying a 100% playthrough.

Deadstar

Ranger X said:
Everything is imported. Stickers, materials, objects, pictures, decorations, music, sound effects, tools and costumes.

This really amazes me. Usually there are problems with licensed music tracks being in multiple games kind of like the Rock Band situation where certain songs were left out. It's really amazing that everything is left it. I can't believe it.

BobTheFork said:
whoa, a level tracker? I haven't used LPB.me yet, but I need to.
make sure you go to settings and check your privacy. and it should publish everything from levels to images. good site (still has room for growth and improvement)

Torillian

Neo Member
BobTheFork said:
Ok, finally done with my first version of this thing.

So I wanted to rig up an analogue speed control for the pachinko shot.
I also need to make sure each emitter was on a pair of AND gates.
I needed to hook that up to a counter to limit the number of shots
the other end when to the battery array and the shooting button
Finally, I wanted to reset the shot power at zero for each shot so people wouldn't just find a good spot and leave it there.
All of that looks like this,

To be honest, it's not terribly complicated, but I'm new to the tools

The biggest issue I had with LBP was never getting any feedback from people about my level. So, please give it a shot and tell me how I can improve it. I would actually like to start recreating real pachinko machines in LPB, but I need to work on user interface. I could really use some suggestions on that.

'Musamura Gauge All 15 v.1' is up now.

A couple of things I'd love to see is that my old Pachinko machine had mouths to the score holes that opened and closed so that sometimes it would be easier or harder to get a specific amount. Going along with that I'd love if the board was changed so that you actually got balls back instead of points but I know that might be tough.

Some somewhat easier to implement suggestions is that the machine is eerily silent and if you could get a little "Pinc" kind of noise going whenever the ball hits a peg and a congratulatory noise for getting a score that would be great. Also it would be nice if you could jack up the power so much that it went around the circle once or twice, that was always fun with my old machine.

Regardless a cool concept and I'd love to see it fleshed out more.

edit: thinking on it a bit more, would it be possible to make the balls more bouncy? That would really help to make it more Pachinko like, if they could bounce a little less than the Peggle level that other guy made I think it would be great.

Torillian said:
A couple of things I'd love to see is that my old Pachinko machine had mouths to the score holes that opened and closed so that sometimes it would be easier or harder to get a specific amount. Going along with that I'd love if the board was changed so that you actually got balls back instead of points but I know that might be tough.

Some somewhat easier to implement suggestions is that the machine is eerily silent and if you could get a little "Pinc" kind of noise going whenever the ball hits a peg and a congratulatory noise for getting a score that would be great. Also it would be nice if you could jack up the power so much that it went around the circle once or twice, that was always fun with my old machine.

Regardless a cool concept and I'd love to see it fleshed out more.

edit: thinking on it a bit more, would it be possible to make the balls more bouncy? That would really help to make it more Pachinko like, if they could bounce a little less than the Peggle level that other guy made I think it would be great.
Great ideas, thanks. I suppose I could lower the gravity to see how that impacts the balls. Also, the sounds suggestions I agree with, It needs some ambiance. The next one I make will have more lights and moving parts as well. I'd like to get some flippers in at some point too.

Torillian said:
ore bouncy? That would really help to make it more Pachinko like, if they could bounce a little less than the Peggle level that other guy made I think it would be great.
Has the object property tool been used? You can set the bounciness of an object in there.

Torillian

Neo Member
donkey show said:
Has the object property tool been used? You can set the bounciness of an object in there.

ah yeah, thought I remembered something like that but I wasn't sure. I suppose another possibility would be taking the ball MM uses for their Basketball mini-game and using stickers to make it gray.

Ferrio

Banned
donkey show said:

Ya in the plinko game I set up the bouncyness, set down the friction and caused it to be non stick. Gives the thing a nice bounce. Hoping to have my game ready by end of the week.

DoomXploder7 said:
i'm having trouble trying to find a way to make a "life bar" , what the simplest way to make a 4-hit or more life bar?

There's an actual sensor for that. If you need something different, you might be able to set up a counter to do the job.

ijed

Ranger X said:
Why do you guys want a Create mode thread??

Community stuff is in my other thread and what will be the use of this very OT we are in? Talking about the fucking boxart? pricepoint?

I mean, this very thread we are in should be used for talking/asking about the game itself (aka the create mode too).

Bitching about the broken multiplayer of course ;)

stampy said:
Questions get lost in this one too easily. Furthermore, first post in that topic could also have a constantly updated list of all Q&A's with a link to the post(s) with an answer.

Yeah that sounds cool. Also some contests and projects to get some ideas flowing.
Was thinking with the Global Game Jam this weekend if anyone's up for a LBP game jam - Using the same theme as them and seeing what we can do in 48hrs :)

Also playing around with analog signals last night - Neon and Hologram materials are very cool as they can be set with an on and off colour and you can mix between the 2 states by giving it a value between 0-100%.
I was using a forwards and a backwards counter on timers to cycle between the 2 colours but thinking there's probably an easier way....

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have not removed my game from the wrapping yet but looking at those microchip diagrams confuses the hell out of me. Maybe its because I havent messed with them yet. I am a computer engineer ( embedded engineer actually so i am very familiar with digital logic) but the videos I have watched on the in game logic still seem slightly nonsensical. Maybe once I touch it I will feel different about it. Hopefully I get some time to work on it tonight.

Edit: Like looking at BobTheFork's logic. -_- . What is going on? What do the batteries do? Nevermind, I am sure it will make more sense once i play with it.

Ferrio

Banned
MThanded said:
I have not removed my game from the wrapping yet but looking at those microchip diagrams confuses the hell out of me. Maybe its because I havent messed with them yet. I am a computer engineer ( embedded engineer actually so i am very familiar with digital logic) but the videos I have watched on the in game logic still seem slightly nonsensical. Maybe once I touch it I will feel different about it. Hopefully I get some time to work on it tonight.

Edit: Like looking at BobTheFork's logic. -_- . What is going on? What do the batteries do? Nevermind, I am sure it will make more sense once i play with it.

It's very abstracted. The actual microchip is just extra space to put logic, it doesn't really serve any other purpose.

Battery is just a constant true value output.

Ranger X

MThanded said:

The logic in LBP works like circuitry more than programming (although they share some basic concepts of course). But yeah, you need a degree in electronic, not programming. :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
MThanded said:

The logic is supposed to be really simple. But I never delve into the create mode. Too complicated and no keyboard/mouse support for me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ferrio said:
Ya in the plinko game I set up the bouncyness, set down the friction and caused it to be non stick. Gives the thing a nice bounce. Hoping to have my game ready by end of the week.

You did the plinko game? I was sifting through the GAF section and saw "Plinko GAF" and I thought somebody had hijacked my game. Good level!

ijed

Ranger X said:
The logic in LBP works like circuitry more than programming (although they share some basic concepts of course). But yeah, you need a degree in electronic, not programming. :p

Yeah - except the logic gates can pass analog values as well as just on/off which is cool.

Am I missing something with the selector? I want to have different battery values on all the active inputs then cycle through them but as it says in the tutes if the bottom one has an active value then that will always be the active output. Doesn't really make sense to me...

Ferrio said:
Is there a way to make an object that's invisible but has collision?
Try Neon set to 0% brightness

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Ranger X said:
I am working on a PhD in embedded computer engineering. So boundary between electronics and programming is where i sit. My undergrad degree is in computer engineering too. Computer engineering is a combination of Electrical Engineering and Computer science. A lot of people confuse it with computer science and software engineering.

Ferrio said:
Not that I could find :(

saw what looked like a hologram pong game in the trailer. Maybe they did something different.

Ferrio

Banned
Is it possible to have an emitted object get connected to a controllinator?

Say the thing sackboy was controlling dies, is it possible to have another one emit and instantly control that one?

Plinko said:
You did the plinko game? I was sifting through the GAF section and saw "Plinko GAF" and I thought somebody had hijacked my game. Good level!

Uh no, I haven't published mine yet. Hopefully mine is better, spending evil amount of time on it.

ijed

Ferrio said:

Say the thing sackboy was controlling dies, is it possible to have another one emit and instantly control that one?

Should work if you set up the destroy logic manually then have it emit a controllinator with auto-enter. You might have to eject sackboy out of the orignal controllinator before destroying it tho.

OchreHand

I know I'm very LTTP but creator "Lockstitch" must be some kind of genius when it comes to making platforming levels. I think my jaw dropped a couple of times.

I've been revisiting classic LBP1 levels while queuing up LBP2 levels on my ipad. This is living.

Ranger X

MThanded said:
I am working on a PhD in embedded computer engineering. So boundary between electronics and programming is where i sit. My undergrad degree is in computer engineering too. Computer engineering is a combination of Electrical Engineering and Computer science. A lot of people confuse it with computer science and software engineering.

I see! Well you should be good then. I suppose that when you'll start to create stuff, you will figure out how to make stuff faster than people that don't know about circuity and computer science.

Ferrio

Banned
ijed said:
Should work if you set up the destroy logic manually then have it emit a controllinator with auto-enter. You might have to eject sackboy out of the orignal controllinator before destroying it tho.

Bah, was hoping to not have to recreate the controllinator with it.

jayb

Ferrio said:

I'd also like to know the answer to this.

I wonder if maybe you can capture an emitted object + a controllinator that is setup as a receiver, and then have those emitted.

That way you would never how the leave the primary/transmitting controllinator.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why is the news the only thing showing up in "recent activity?" I honestly preferred having my friends and level creators in it. SMH MM. :/ Yes, people need to know about LBP.me, but not at the expense of me trying levels friends have played.

Top Bottom