• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

Ranger X said:
Normally I would say it's the level that moves. You have example of this in the story mode and if you want another type of scrolling level, check my level called "Crazy Train".

4efb653170c0777eef3bab92fdf96a9fed4cf39c.png

http://lbp.me/v/pkbvvg

It's an "infinite scrolling" level and with 3 layers scrolling at different speeds.

Will check it out.

DMPrince said:
they want to play alone. i still think that it shouldn't bother trying to connect with people that have it set to auto reject unless people are rejecting others manually.
Def. Not sure why it would be set to try to wrangle in the auto rejects.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have to cross post this because I LOVED this level....

g98289-a42c4301.png

Blast Radius

6e7702c3579f00bfa808233bc46bb7795203c868.jpg

bed29b71679b71f2b0534a65e35c848bd49dab0f.jpg

This level is top notch Super Stardust HD like shooter goodness. I played it with another player and it was great. I don't know if it supports more than 2 players though. The production is great. He even has voice overs for the powers ups and stuff. So GOOD.

It's probably right up there with the tower defense level. It's that good. At least top 5 for me.

How the heck do you beat the third stage of the final boss? Was able to handle the first two stages more or less without incident, but in the third I've got absolutely no clue what I'm doing - just run around back and forth and dodge the pink beams until I get killed. :(

Eteric Rice

badcrumble said:
How the heck do you beat the third stage of the final boss? Was able to handle the first two stages more or less without incident, but in the third I've got absolutely no clue what I'm doing - just run around back and forth and dodge the pink beams until I get killed. :(

Right before the beams hits you, jump. You don't even have to run, just jump. After he's finished doing his beams, one of the Alliance will throw you an object. Pick up the object and throw it at the glass thing on his head.

Keep doing this.

see5harp

badcrumble said:

It's the same as before. If it's unclear the beams don't actually do damage until they hit the floor if, I remember correctly. So just jump a little faster than before.

I'm almost done with my 'regular' level. I've discovered I make really crappy platforming sections though. The beginning of the level is great (I think) and I made a really cool 'boss' for the end but I've got this platforming section going up a mountain in-between those sections and it's just boring and dead. It's much harder to make basic jumping and climbing interesting.

badcrumble said:
stand at either side of the level. jump before the beam hits the floor and you'll dodge. just follow the pattern.

Stantron

Create mode is kinda frustrating me right now. Got a few noob questions.

Is it possible to detach two glued objects WITHOUT detaching them from other objects they may be glued to? Can I detach glued objects WITHOUT first having to detach them from the floor? I guess what I'm asking for is an advanced-glue function but in reverse.

I'm trying to make a door type object that rotates from horizontal to vertical ONCE after a player walks over it, thereby blocking ability for the player to walk back. How do I do this?
I've got a rectangle object with a wobble bolt attached near one end. I've tweaked the (not very intuitive) rotation and angle parameters of the wobble bolt to get the object to rotate 90 degrees back and forth. I put down a player proximity sensor so that after the player crosses the object (and enters proximity) the sensor sends an input signal to the wobble bolt.
The problem is 1) the player needs to stay in the sensor area while the object rotates... even if I set the wobble bolt to one-shot. 2) the wobble bolt rotates back and forth. I only want it to rotate one way.

HALP!

Tailzo

Hi.
My friend for example can't press x to go faster, or use the motion sensor to move sackboys head. This happens when he plays with his profile, either on his console, or another persons console with his profile imported. Can we do something else than to delete his profile?

edit: This problem doesn't happen when he plays other profiles.

Ferrio

Banned
Stantron said:
I've got a rectangle object with a wobble bolt attached near one end. I've tweaked the (not very intuitive) rotation and angle parameters of the wobble bolt to get the object to rotate 90 degrees back and forth. I put down a player proximity sensor so that after the player crosses the object (and enters proximity) the sensor sends an input signal to the wobble bolt.
The problem is 1) the player needs to stay in the sensor area while the object rotates... even if I set the wobble bolt to one-shot. 2) the wobble bolt rotates back and forth. I only want it to rotate one way.

HALP!

Use a motor bolt instead i believe.... haven't worked with bolts since lbp1...

Tailzo

Tailzo said:
Hi.
My friend for example can't press x to go faster, or use the motion sensor to move sackboys head. This happens when he plays with his profile, either on his console, or another persons console with his profile imported. Can we do something else than to delete his profile?

edit: This problem doesn't happen when he plays other profiles.
If he deletes his lpb profile, he'll loose the levels he made, story level progress and...?

Crisis

Banned
Hey guys. LBP2 is awesome. I had the first LBP as well and had my game data and my profile data for the first game still on my hard drive. I ran the content import thing from the start menu in LBP2. Is it okay to delete the game data from LBP now? It won't hurt anythingin LBP2, right?

Ferrio

Banned
Is there no way to make multi paragraph descriptions for levels? I'd really like to put updates on what has been fixed and what future updates will be.

Stantron said:
I'm trying to make a door type object that rotates from horizontal to vertical ONCE after a player walks over it, thereby blocking ability for the player to walk back. How do I do this?

HALP!

Try a logic set up like this:

35mmz9c.jpg

4h2ude.jpg

You just need to add something to the proximity gate so that it only works temporarily. By the time the door rotates closed, have the timer reach 0 so that it doesn't open again.

That might be over complicating things but it's the simplest method I could think of.

Tkawsome said:
I love the silhouette and outline material. Are there any other cool materials like that?
the space material. it's animated stars. and there's the bubble and Water material that simulates water flow. There are quite a few good ones out there. some of these you can change the animation speed.

anyways, there's X-Ray, Pixelated and a few more i can't think of.

DMPrince said:
the space material. it's animated stars. and there's the bubble and Water material that simulates water flow. There are quite a few good ones out there. some of these you can change the animation speed.

anyways, there's X-Ray, Pixelated and a few more i can't think of.

Those sound amazing. It's going to take me a while to 100% everything but I'll make it my mission to find all the animated/filter materials. Any good guides out there to help me out?

CozMick

Banned
Playing Sackboys Prehistoric Move,

Do costumes import to LBP2?

And also, are there any collectables besides the "Special bubbles"?

No spoilers please :D

Stantron said:

HALP!
The easiest way to do this kind of thing in LBP1 was to connect a tag sensor to your wobble bolt and set it to directional, put a magnetic sensor on some dissolve material, and then put a player proximity sensor on the dissolve material. There are ways of doing the same thing that can be reset, but this is the easiest method to describe.

You could do the same thing in LBP2 by substituting a counter (max count 1) for the dissolve material, tag, and tag sensor. The player proximity switch hooks up to the increment input and the output of the counter goes to the wobble bolt and the output is set to directional.

Just played the first two worlds and already the variety is insaneeee. The original is one of my favourite games this gen, and this seems to be an improvement on it in basically every single way.

As somebody who has never touched the level creator, I'm impressed how much MM paid attention to the story mode.

How the hell does the game saves work for this game?

I beat the first world on my bro's PS3 at his house but the only saves I saw were my lbp beta and lbp saves. Does this not have a save of it's own? When I started playing the intro said "Welcome back..." and my sackboy was dressed the same.

I copied over the two saves and when starting a brand new game on my new ps3 it says "Welcome back.." but my sackboy isn't dressed the same and none of my levels are completed.

It see's they put the profile under the folder where game install data goes so I can't copy it to the other system...

Super_Chicken said:

I beat the first world on my bro's PS3 at his house but the only saves I saw were my lbp beta and lbp saves. Does this not have a save of it's own? When I started playing the intro said "Welcome back..." and my sackboy was dressed the same.

I copied over the two saves and when starting a brand new game on my new ps3 it says "Welcome back.." but my sackboy isn't dressed the same and none of my levels are completed.

It see's they put the profile under the folder where game install data goes so I can't copy it to the other system...

go into setting and make a back up and inpoty it to the other

Bebpo

Banned
The gradius levels at the end of World 4 were pretty sucky. Maybe it's just because I play a lot of shmups but those 2 levels were really boring :(

World 5 seems good again after the first stage.

Stantron

Mechanical Snowman said:
Try a logic set up like this:

http://i53.tinypic.com/35mmz9c.jpg[img]

[img]http://i52.tinypic.com/4h2ude.jpg[img]

You just need to add something to the proximity gate so that it only works temporarily. By the time the door rotates closed, have the timer reach 0 so that it doesn't open again.

That might be over complicating things but it's the simplest method I could think of.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Lance Bone Path]
The easiest way to do this kind of thing in LBP1 was to connect a tag sensor to your wobble bolt and set it to directional, put a magnetic sensor on some dissolve material, and then put a player proximity sensor on the dissolve material. There are ways of doing the same thing that can be reset, but this is the easiest method to describe.

You could do the same thing in LBP2 by substituting a counter (max count 1) for the dissolve material, tag, and tag sensor. The player proximity switch hooks up to the increment input and the output of the counter goes to the wobble bolt and the output is set to directional.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, guys. I'll give these a shot when I get home. I was racking my brain last night trying to figure this out. All this logic stuff is pretty non-intuitive to me. I hope I can get better at it.

Bebpo said:
The gradius levels at the end of World 4 were pretty sucky. Maybe it's just because I play a lot of shmups but those 2 levels were really boring :(

World 5 seems good again after the first stage.
LOL, I know what you mean. Good effort on Mm's part, but they are definitely no Cave or Treasure. =P

Tkawsome said:
Those sound amazing. It's going to take me a while to 100% everything but I'll make it my mission to find all the animated/filter materials. Any good guides out there to help me out?

Hm. I looked around online and couldn't find anything to help me. Do any of you guys know where the X-Ray and pixel materials are?

BobTheFork said:
I'm almost done with my 'regular' level. I've discovered I make really crappy platforming sections though. The beginning of the level is great (I think) and I made a really cool 'boss' for the end but I've got this platforming section going up a mountain in-between those sections and it's just boring and dead. It's much harder to make basic jumping and climbing interesting.

Yeah I am making a basic platforming section as well but my start sucks. As I have been progressing I am slowly adding more interesting parts. I think I have to redo the start completely.

Ranger X

Super_Chicken said:

They tell you "welcome back" because the game is sending log-in/out info in their servers. When you start the game, it checks if you've been connected in this game since X amount of time and if yes, they say "welcome back". Well, maybe they always say "welcome back" as soon as they detect this PSN account has been connected to LBP servers in the past.

mclem

TelemachusD said:
I'm pretty sure I just need to jump, bounce off the fire and grab the ceiling to the left, but I die the instant I touch the fire every single time. Maybe the bounce you get from touching fire has changed from LBP1?

There is some circumstance where fire is a one-hit kill, now. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I encountered it a few times in the story levels when I was expecting to take advantage of the bounce.

Ah, I love the new tools so much; It's been far easier to put my ideas together.
So I split up the level I was making into two, and I finally finished the first on.
It's pretty much a level I made in LBP1 before there was water, but now I added the water and made is much better with the tools. I'll put pic in the community thread
It's called 'Hobbit Ride to the Midnight Sun of Valhalla' if you see it in search.

Madman

mclem said:
There is some circumstance where fire is a one-hit kill, now. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I encountered it a few times in the story levels when I was expecting to take advantage of the bounce.
This happened in 1 too. It's an instant kill if you hit fire material too hard.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is there any way to make the Elastic Band Ball explode after a certain amount of time, particularly from a spawner?

If I use a spawner, I can make it explode, but it does not deform any objects.

Sorry if this is a newbie question, this is my first attempt at making a real level.

I'm looking at the community set-up and I guess I still have the problem with it I had with LBP, how the heck do you get anyone to see your level? I can't find my own level listed anywhere, not even in newest levels. It's odd to me, because to can't get into cool levels of any other listing until a few thousand people play your level, but no one uses anything but MM picks and cool levels, so how to I get anyone to see the level I made and try it?

edit: it's nothing but trophy/pin levels listed here, and it's the same level everyone is copying and using. Wow, I'm really glad they didn't put any trophies in this time for hearts.

Interstellar

Neo Member
Yeah World 5 was my favourite in story mode... so beautiful and fantastical :)

Overall the story mode was a big improvement over LBP1. Better characters (Clive), more varied (new tools) and a satisfying final boss.

Played online for the first time, much smoother experience than LBP1. I'm just starting to get the hang of the grappling hook.

The Zelda level and Blast radius, WOW.

ijed

MThanded said:
Still not sure how some of these gates work with intermittent logic. for example i had a battery on a sequencer connected to a randomizer when the battery was lit the randomizer just acted like a toggle(turned all connected outputs on or off) ... not what i expected. Was hoping it would enable a random output.

Did you check the tutorial on the randomizer? One of the output methods is to cycle through each thing connected to the randomizer's output and triggers each thing once which sounds like what you want - also maybe check the timing between each trigger.

My Q: Do Bounce pads only work with homosackiens (sackboys/sackbots)? Want it to work on a controlinator object. Can use flipper pistons but bounce pads give a much cleaner look...

Ferrio

Banned
So how does the browsing for games work? Like Cool Levels and Trends, what determines how they'll be up there? Mine is getting a decent amount of plays (~500), but see it no where on those menus. Kinda irks me that shit like achievement/costume stuff gets 20k plays and just hovers there.

edit: Seems bob has the same question.

Playing some of these user created levels really shines a light on the bad platforming. The best levels seem to be the ones that de-emphasizes jumping and emphasizes the other mechanics of the game such as grappling or physics based puzzles. I really hate jumping to my doom.
Ferrio said:
So how does the browsing for games work? Like Cool Levels and Trends, what determines how they'll be up there? Mine is getting a decent amount of plays (~500), but see it no where on those menus. Kinda irks me that shit like achievement/costume stuff gets 20k plays and just hovers there.
Best solution is to categorize the levels. So actual levels are promoted and the fluff stuff is separated. I think the tag system is ok, but it can be better.

marathonfool said:
Playing some of these user created levels really shines a light on the bad platforming. The best levels seem to be the ones that de-emphasizes jumping and emphasizes the other mechanics of the game such as grappling or physics based puzzles. I really hate jumping to my doom.

Best solution is to categorize the levels. So actual levels are promoted and the fluff stuff is separated. I think the tag system is ok, but it can be better.
This is kind of why I took the platforming out of my levels and I'm just trying to make physics games with tools. The simple platforming aspect of the game is as old as LBP1 and I'm pretty tired of it.

What the fuck!!!! I watched the Silent Hill 4 the room trailer with my wife from that thread on my PS3. She got creeped out and I jokingly asked if she wanted me to boot up LBP2 to take off the edge. She said sure. Boot it up and I notice there's no sound. Quit out and now mt PS3 AS A WHOLE HAS NO FUCKING SOUND! I'm pissed. Rebooting the system, reconnecting the HDMI cables = don't work. Is this something related to the game that has been reported?

I can't even find my levels by text searching. It certainly seems random what levels you are exposed to unless that person is on your friends list.

ijed

BobTheFork said:
I can't even find my levels by text searching. It certainly seems random what levels you are exposed to unless that person is on your friends list.

in game? Show up fine on lbp.me when I search for Valhalla...
Could it be because you're the author it doesn't show your levels in searches?

At work at the mo but can have a look for it when I get home tonight...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ARghhhhhh i spent a while trying to build some simple logic to do this.

Something that counts like this 1, 1 2 , 1 2 3 , 1 2 3 4 ...

I want a way that does not involve me making a counter that counts up to each number. Can't seem to figure out an easy way to do this.

Initially this seemed like it would be simple but none of the devices have an input that can change a time or a count value. Guess i have to build this myself

Inputs
-------
digital count
increase count by 1
Reset

Output
-------
count reached

Top Bottom