• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

So how do you level builders actually go about designing the layout your levels?

Do you draw them out on paper first, or just kind of freehand it in the editor and see what works?

I really want to do a level this time. I started building things for a level in LBP1 but never finished and it looks like I have to rebuild most of the stuff using the additions to LBP2 anyway.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Question, if a level is coop do all of the players share the same camera? If so, is there an easy way to allow every player there own camera?

ThirstyFly said:
So how do you level builders actually go about designing the layout your levels?

Do you draw them out on paper first, or just kind of freehand it in the editor and see what works?

I really want to do a level this time. I started building things for a level in LBP1 but never finished and it looks like I have to rebuild most of the stuff using the additions to LBP2 anyway.
I draw it out initially and go from there.

Question, if a level is coop do all of the players share the same camera? If so, is there an easy way to allow every player there own camera?

Switch the level to Versus mode and only use game cameras.

Mik2121

ThirstyFly said:

I draw some general shapes and basic ideas and puzzles / action areas and how I want them to work. At the same time I pick up a theme (ie, pirates, snow, jungle, etc..), look for the stickers and decoration available and think of how to use them.
For small details I just think about it while building the level and seeing how it actually feels.

start working on a 8-bit pixel im not sure what to do for game play i dont just want to do a mario type one :(

7d010356aedb8fe3e822ac028baecd771f197de8.jpg

jump_button said:
start working on a 8-bit pixel im not sure what to do for game play i dont just want to do a mario type one :(

7d010356aedb8fe3e822ac028baecd771f197de8.jpg

Not sure if this is up your alley, but I'm waiting on someone to design a level with minimal gameplay but fiendishly clever puzzles you have to solve to proceed, something on the level of Machinarium. It seems that even having an inventory of items is somehow possible, given that Zelda 1-1 level.

donkey show said:

Mik2121 said:
I draw some general shapes and basic ideas and puzzles / action areas and how I want them to work. At the same time I pick up a theme (ie, pirates, snow, jungle, etc..), look for the stickers and decoration available and think of how to use them.
For small details I just think about it while building the level and seeing how it actually feels.

Thanks for the answers guys. Drawing the main layout out then doing the details in the editor sounds like the best way to go. I'll give that a shot.

ijed

Quick Create Q: Is there any material I can stand an NPC sackbot on where the Impact Sensor won't trigger? Impact Sensor touching set to No but as soon as he's touching the ground the Impact Sensor will always stay on.

ATTENTION: randomers suck and will blame you for their shitty levels breaking

that is all. oh, and i'm planning to do a Steel Battalion-style mech start up thing. hopefully i can get it to work.

How do you delete/cut away things? I'm talking like, bits of huge structures that would delete most of the level. I'm almost finished with this but the last area isn't big enough for the scoreboard.

ijed

brandonh83 said:
How do you delete/cut away things? I'm talking like, bits of huge structures that would delete most of the level. I'm almost finished with this but the last area isn't big enough for the scoreboard.
Select - triangle to detach - triangle to delete.
Or use another piece of material and press triangle to cut away sections or draw lines through your object to split them

seady said:
Can you edit your creation from LBP1 in LBP2? If you can, will it be playable in LBP1 anymore?
If you re-publish it in LBP2 it will only be playable in LBP2

ijed said:
Select - triangle to detach - triangle to delete.
Or use another piece of material and press triangle to cut away sections or draw lines through your object to split them

I just get an "object is too complicated" alert and it won't let me do anything with it :(

corn_fest

brandonh83 said:
I just get an "object is too complicated" alert and it won't let me do anything with it :(
Perhaps you can use the corner editing tool to change its shape a bit instead of deleting part of it?

corn_fest said:
Perhaps you can use the corner editing tool to change its shape a bit instead of deleting part of it?

Doesn't seem to be good enough, tried that already. Oh well, I'll mess around with it and figure something out.

I'm trying out co-op again to get some of those team prizes and everyone is auto-rejecting now. I don't think I'll ever get a stable co-op match going at this rate.

Edit: Finally played my first co-op level. The grappling hooks are hilarious, right before we hit the end of the level I grappled one of the guys and held him back so he couldn't reach the goal. The second guy had to kill himself to spawn up top with us, and he grappled me to pull us all down. It was really fun. If only it didn't take twenty tries...

Bebpo

Banned
Finished world 5 and some thoughts:

-The bonus stage where you control 2 characters at once and solve puzzles was really good. That's the cool thing about LBP2, it's MM trying their hand at so many different gameplay types, you find ones that they're really good at. They should try doing more puzzle levels.

-On the last form of the boss of the world my white cell FLEW OUT OF THE LEVEL WTFFFFFF :( Also made me realize that while cutscenes are a great addition, they also bring with them the flaw of not being able to skip them :X

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Bebpo said:
they also bring with them the flaw of not being able to skip them :X

Uh..

Start->skip->skipped cutscene->????->PROFIT.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
donkey show said:

Switch the level to Versus mode and only use game cameras.

Heres the problem when u switch to versus and only a single person plays the level they cant register a score.

Madman

Bebpo said:
Finished world 5 and some thoughts:

-The bonus stage where you control 2 characters at once and solve puzzles was really good. That's the cool thing about LBP2, it's MM trying their hand at so many different gameplay types, you find ones that they're really good at. They should try doing more puzzle levels.
Where is it located? I've only played the basketball minigame (which is amazing) so I would like to try the 2 character one.

That boss battle broke on me. Had to restart.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Bebpo said:
The ones that are in gameplay levels?

I'm not talking about the cutscene only levels.

Yeah, I skipped plenty of in-level ones. Not the cutscene/world opening and ending ones.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh, hmm. Must've missed it.

Madman said:
Where is it located? I've only played the basketball minigame (which is amazing) so I would like to try the 2 character one.

That boss battle broke on me. Had to restart.

It's the top right bonus stage in that world.

I just spent a little time figuring this out, so I thought I'd let you creators know how this can be done -- maybe it is elementary but I racked my brain on it for a bit -- there is a level in the story mode (world 2) in which you are blasting marshmallows, and it yields points for blowing them up, without seeing any score bubbles.

To recreate this effect, set a projectile sensor on the object, and a score giver as well. When you blast the object it will give you the points.

Vaux

Im trying to make an control a avatar type game. So i made my creature and im controlling it using the remote control method. But i cant get the camera to always be focused on my creature, it always stays on my sackboy, who i have hidden away in a corner of my level.

what can i do so that the camera can follow my creature and not be stuck on my sackboy?

ijed

Vaux said:
Im trying to make an control a avatar type game. So i made my creature and im controlling it using the remote control method. But i cant get the camera to always be focused on my creature, it always stays on my sackboy, who i have hidden away in a corner of my level.

what can i do so that the camera can follow my creature and not be stuck on my sackboy?

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?44239-Sackbot-A.I-and-Logic-Tutorials
see 'Sackbot Follow Cam'

also just been going through rtm's logic blog - read it - it's awesome!
http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/blog.php?4150-Logic-Blog
2 really simple neat tricks using microchips:
Turn a battery on
APhoto_73.jpg

Make a relay
APhoto_78.jpg

also explains the way AND and OR gates handle analog signals (AND works like min(), OR works like max()) and good uses for splitters and combiners to do number crunching.

Mik2121

Ok I have a question. I'm alright with design / art stuff, but logic stuff for LBP is not one of my strong points..

Right now I have a door and a switch and I wanna make it so that when you activate the switch (2-ways switch) the door opens, a camera turns on and a sound plays. And I want all this to only happen once.

The way I've done it, I placed a microchip and have the sound, the camera and a NOT (was it the name?) logic attached to it. Then the switch connects to all of them and when you turn on the switch everything happens as I expected, but when I turn it off and on again, it all happens again.. which I don't want.

I know that in LBP1 (and in 2, obviously) you could do stuff like creating a dissolve material with a key and so when the key disappears all this stuff turns on, etc.. but I'd like to keep all this stuff inside microchips if possible, as it seems like it would be more thermometer-friendly.

Any ideas on what to use? It's probably a pretty simple issue. It's just logic ain't my friend :p

ijed

Mik2121 said:
Ok I have a question. I'm alright with design / art stuff, but logic stuff for LBP is not one of my strong points..

Right now I have a door and a switch and I wanna make it so that when you activate the switch (2-ways switch) the door opens, a camera turns on and a sound plays. And I want all this to only happen once.

The way I've done it, I placed a microchip and have the sound, the camera and a NOT (was it the name?) logic attached to it. Then the switch connects to all of them and when you turn on the switch everything happens as I expected, but when I turn it off and on again, it all happens again.. which I don't want.

An OR gate with the switch connected to one input and the output connected back to the 2nd input. So after the first time it's triggered it should always stay on.

Mik2121

ijed said:
An OR gate with the switch connected to one input and the output connected back to the 2nd input. So after the first time it's triggered it should always stay on.
Thanks! My new door now works as I expected :_)

BTW this is the door.. lol

8ce9a21f828e7c732247f8487d81ea9c849711cd.jpg

After this I aligned the UV on the side so it fits the front. Now looks a bit better.

Pachimari

Alright, so I have decided to play LittleBigPlanet 2 for the weekend, but how do I best get into a game like this? Let's say I'm the definition of "beginner", where to start?

Would it be wise of me just going through the 40 Story Mode levels, then look into the online community, finally rounding it off by studying the Creation mode?

Anastacio said:
Alright, so I have decided to play LittleBigPlanet 2 for the weekend, but how do I best get into a game like this? Let's say I'm the definition of "beginner", where to start?

Would it be wise of me just going through the 40 Story Mode levels, then look into the online community, finally rounding it off by studying the Creation mode?

That sounds about right. I wouldn't suggest playing the community levels without first playing though the story mode and you're definitely going to want to save creation for last since you unlock creation items in the story mode.

Anastacio said:

def play through story mode first

kevm3

I've been enjoying lbp2 much more than the first one. The variety of gameplay styles is amazing and something that they did with the graphics engine is much improved. The game has a more 'cartoonish' and saturated look, which immerses me much more than the more realistic look of the first.

Top Bottom