• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

ijed

MThanded said:
ARghhhhhh i spent a while trying to build some simple logic to do this.

Something that counts like this 1, 1 2 , 1 2 3 , 1 2 3 4 ...

I want a way that does not involve me making a counter that counts up to each number. Can't seem to figure out an easy way to do this.

A countdown counter linked to a sequencer - Sequencer input set to positional?
Each time you decrement the counter the position on the sequencer will move back - hook a line of batteries up to an OR gate connected to another counter (counting up) so when you fire it off each battery will add +1 i.e
1 2
1 2 3 ...

MTHanded said:
Initially this seemed like it would be simple but none of the devices have an input that can change a time or a count value. Guess i have to build this myself

Yeah inputs for more parameters would be great but usually there will be a solution to your problem - you just need to take a step back and think about things differently - there's more than one way to skin a sackbot...

Stantron

Stantron said:
Thanks, guys. I'll give these a shot when I get home. I was racking my brain last night trying to figure this out. All this logic stuff is pretty non-intuitive to me. I hope I can get better at it.

Update on my closing door logic. I've combined Mechanical Snowman's timer suggestion and Lance Bone Path's counter suggestion to come up with the solution. By the way, my "door" is a little more complicated. I'm trying to re-create part of the three column opening gate from the very beginning of the MGS Act 5 The Boss level. Here's how I did it, if anyone's curious and wants to try to reproduce...

5e091d361f7e4430c5cfaf7c9a05f684a91e7a8b.jpg

Above me are three horizontal column doors with wobble bolts.
Wobble bolt properties: rotation 90, angle 315, time 4.0, pause 4.0, flipper = off, reversed = no, input action = on/off.
Sync values differ for each though: front = 0.0, mid = 0.5, back = 1.0 sec. The sync achieves the asynchronous closing of the doors.

Mid-closing doors (pic link)

404a93608ff1873864eec0d707bcff84ef7a6ce4.jpg

Player sensor is a small proximity area that only activates if standing directly on it: invert output = no.
Below player sensor is a timer: target time = 4, current time = 0, start count down, invert output = no. Once the player activates the sensor, this basically waits 4 seconds, the time it takes for all three door columns to move from horizontal to vertical.
To the right of player sensor is a counter (wish it looked different than timer so not to confuse): target count = 2, current count = 0, invert output = yes. This is important because it allows the doors to move the first time, but then kills the output even if the player comes back to jump on the player sensor.
AND gate: invert output = no.

Right now, the timing and player sensor still needs to be tweaked since I can run back under before the doors slowly close. But the logic works. Success!

Newb question, how do you link two levels together? I made a main starting level and a sub-level I'm just not sure how to link them and publish.

ijed

brandonh83 said:
Newb question, how do you link two levels together? I made a main starting level and a sub-level I'm just not sure how to link them and publish.

Think you need to publish the sub-level first? Then you can link to it from the main level before publishing that one.

Ferrio

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Is the LBP2 online down for everyone. I already did the system update.

Ya can't connect :(

Does anyone know how to get dialogue boxes at the end of level? They seem to kinda fuck up when the scoreboard is active.

Ranger X

marathonfool said:
Playing some of these user created levels really shines a light on the bad platforming. The best levels seem to be the ones that de-emphasizes jumping and emphasizes the other mechanics of the game such as grappling or physics based puzzles. I really hate jumping to my doom.

Best solution is to categorize the levels. So actual levels are promoted and the fluff stuff is separated. I think the tag system is ok, but it can be better.

Actually what happens is that, to the contrary of what many people thinks, it's rare someone can design something pro. Most creations will and forever will suck because people are like that. I think people also surestimate how easy it would be to make platforming level. It looks simple and that anybody can do it but it not, really, it's not.
If NSMBWii had a level editor like LBP, you would encounter the same rate of shit levels.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Ranger X said:
Actually what happens is that, to the contrary of what many people thinks, it's rare someone can design something pro. Most creations will and forever will suck because people are like that. I think people also surestimate how easy it would be to make platforming level. It looks simple and that anybody can do it but it not, really, it's not.
If NSMBWii had a level editor like LBP, you would encounter the same rate of shit levels.

I agree...

RagnarokX

Stantron said:
Update on my closing door logic. I've combined Mechanical Snowman's timer suggestion and Lance Bone Path's counter suggestion to come up with the solution. By the way, my "door" is a little more complicated. I'm trying to re-create part of the three column opening gate from the very beginning of the MGS Act 5 The Boss level. Here's how I did it, if anyone's curious and wants to try to reproduce...

5e091d361f7e4430c5cfaf7c9a05f684a91e7a8b.jpg

Above me are three horizontal column doors with wobble bolts.
Wobble bolt properties: rotation 90, angle 315, time 4.0, pause 4.0, flipper = off, reversed = no, input action = on/off.
Sync values differ for each though: front = 0.0, mid = 0.5, back = 1.0 sec. The sync achieves the asynchronous closing of the doors.

Mid-closing doors (pic link)

404a93608ff1873864eec0d707bcff84ef7a6ce4.jpg

Player sensor is a small proximity area that only activates if standing directly on it: invert output = no.
Below player sensor is a timer: target time = 4, current time = 0, start count down, invert output = no. Once the player activates the sensor, this basically waits 4 seconds, the time it takes for all three door columns to move from horizontal to vertical.
To the right of player sensor is a counter (wish it looked different than timer so not to confuse): target count = 2, current count = 0, invert output = yes. This is important because it allows the doors to move the first time, but then kills the output even if the player comes back to jump on the player sensor.
AND gate: invert output = no.

Right now, the timing and player sensor still needs to be tweaked since I can run back under before the doors slowly close. But the logic works. Success!
I made something like that in LBP1. Basically I had a motor bolt as the hinge and had it rotating so the door stayed open pressed against the ceiling. When players entered the room a player sensor reversed the door and locked it tight against a stopper on the floor. After doing what they need to do in that room, the player sensor dissolves and reopens the door.

Check it out if you want. It's unfinished. I'm remaking it in LBP2.

http://lbp.me/v/wxprq3

Edit: I just came up with another solution. You could hinge the door with a regular bolt. On the bottom of the door put a look at rotator pointing down from the door. Make two emitters. Have each one emit a 0% bright flat hologram square with a tag on it. Have these emitters emit these objects so that the door will point at them in the up and down positions at a rate so that there is constantly a tag to point at. Then hook the emitters to something to trigger them like a 2 way switch or a player sensor. Use a not gate for the emitter that will keep the door in the default position. The default position will get a constant signal until the player activates the switch (sensor). Use different colored tags for each door. This would require the least amount of logic.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay Plinko v1.2 is up

http://lbp.me/v/wzsefj

Changes
-Bonus score parameters were modified
-Puck was given even more chaotic behavior.
-Puck emitter placeholder was removed, and replaced with a holographic representation of puck
-Boundaries were set for the emitter, if you try to go outside the play field you will be yanked back.
-Puck emitter resets position after each drop.
-Cameras tweaked.
-Plinko board wasn't quite level, fixed that
-Modifications were made to edges by the 100 point score area, allowing pucks to drop there more easily.

Current bugs
-Bob Barker tries to say his famous line at the end of level, but is being interrupted by the scoreboard.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That split two sackbot minigame in Eve's garden is crazy with two players. Kinda annoying having to coordinate FOUR sackbots, but did it and got 100%.

Just leaves some random prize bubbles I don't know where I'm missing and acing the story levels for 100%... then it's back to LBP1 for acing and finding the missing prize bubbles there. *siiigh*

-Bob Barker tries to say his famous line at the end of level, but is being interrupted by the scoreboard.

"Please Spay and Neut--"
LEVEL COMPLETE!

That's hilarious and you should keep it. :p

TheSeks said:
That split two sackbot minigame in Eve's garden is crazy with two players. Kinda annoying having to coordinate FOUR sackbots, but did it and got 100%.

Just leaves some random prize bubbles I don't know where I'm missing and acing the story levels for 100%... then it's back to LBP1 for acing and finding the missing prize bubbles there. *siiigh*
did the online feel good?

TheSeks

DMPrince said:
did the online feel good?

Other than Dreamgazer joining (causing the FMV "level" to skip/loading loading loading) yeah. Once I forced us back to the pod and waited a minute, Dream joined me and a kid on my friends list and it was pretty smooth for the three of us. Dream left, and it was me and the kid most of the night. Other than a random (or someone on his list) attempting to join and causing said "loading loading loading loading" stutter as well.

Seems to improving, but not quite there yet.

Ferrio

Banned
TheSeks said:

"Please Spay and Neut--"
LEVEL COMPLETE!

That's hilarious and you should keep it. :p

The quote came up for you?

TheSeks

Ferrio said:
The quote came up for you?

I haven't played your level. I was just going by what you said. If that's what happens it's hilarious and should be kept. :p (I'll play it tomorrow, promise!)

Ferrio

Banned
TheSeks said:
I haven't played your level. I was just going by what you said. If that's what happens it's hilarious and should be kept. :p (I'll play it tomorrow, promise!)

No it doesn't come up at all... think the end level things cause magic mouths to be stupid. Not sure.

Mik2121

Ferrio said:
Okay Plinko v1.2 is up

Changes
-Bonus score parameters were modified
-Puck was given even more chaotic behavior.
-Puck emitter placeholder was removed, and replaced with a holographic representation of puck
-Boundaries were set for the emitter, if you try to go outside the play field you will be yanked back.
-Puck emitter resets position after each drop.
-Cameras tweaked.
-Plinko board wasn't quite level, fixed that
-Modifications were made to edges by the 100 point score area, allowing pucks to drop there more easily.

Current bugs
I will try it right now.

BTW, is it just me or any playstation account-related website automatically logs off every few hours? I've logged-in onto lbp.me a lot of times already and it's just annoying...

Edit - Just played it. It feels much better now, but I would still appreciate some music, even if with low volume... Oh, and also the sound that plays every time you hit one of the bars might be a tiny bit loud.. if you could lower it a bit it would be great, it can get slightly annoying :p (if it's going to take very long to fix it, don't worry about it, but if you can fix it fast I would give it a try)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
b263315ceead5b874c4981518e4eef9c2d52bfe2.png

My 3 player offroad buggy concept is live. http://lbp.me/v/w27t15

Trust me its very rough right now but any plays are appreciated. Hope to add a lot more features and a more challenging course. Took me long enough to tune the suspension and prevent the shocks from breaking off by using some pistons.

Note: this has nothing to do with the logic I was talking about earlier lol.

Mik2121

I just started working on my first LBP2 level. It will be a traditional platformer using some of the Eve and Pirates of the Caribbean materials and decoration.

I'm not 100% sure though.. so I'm playing around with different materials and stuff to get a nice look. What do you guys think?:

2d9f31a937f6e9ba0cb47f9a39c1ba05d0422816.jpg

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I'm stuck on the 7th (I think) world. Its the
Heart of the Negatron and its 3rd phase owns me because I'm not sure how to fight back. I see orbs on it's head but the cakes don't damage them and I keep dying from lasers.
Any advice?

EDIT: That's damn amazing MIK. And I think you already know it is :p.

Stantron

RagnarokX said:
I made something like that in LBP1. Basically I had a motor bolt as the hinge and had it rotating so the door stayed open pressed against the ceiling. When players entered the room a player sensor reversed the door and locked it tight against a stopper on the floor. After doing what they need to do in that room, the player sensor dissolves and reopens the door.

Check it out if you want. It's unfinished. I'm remaking it in LBP2.

http://lbp.me/v/wxprq3

Edit: I just came up with another solution. You could hinge the door with a regular bolt. On the bottom of the door put a look at rotator pointing down from the door. Make two emitters. Have each one emit a 0% bright flat hologram square with a tag on it. Have these emitters emit these objects so that the door will point at them in the up and down positions at a rate so that there is constantly a tag to point at. Then hook the emitters to something to trigger them like a 2 way switch or a player sensor. Use a not gate for the emitter that will keep the door in the default position. The default position will get a constant signal until the player activates the switch (sensor). Use different colored tags for each door. This would require the least amount of logic.
Thanks for the link. I'll check out your level.
I understand the first concept you wrote, but I'm having a hard time understanding the second one. I'll try fiddling with the tools to see if it makes more sense then.

BTW, I never got a response to my question from the previous page. Anyone?
Is it possible to detach two glued objects WITHOUT detaching them from other objects they may be glued to? Can I detach glued objects WITHOUT first having to detach them from the floor? I guess what I'm asking for is an advanced-glue function but in reverse.

Mik2121

Phaethon0017 said:
Heart of the Negatron and its 3rd phase owns me because I'm not sure how to fight back. I see orbs on it's head but the cakes don't damage them and I keep dying from lasers.
Any advice?

EDIT: That's damn amazing MIK. And I think you already know it is :p.
You're having the same problem I did. You have to, indeed, throw the cakes to the brain orbs. I'd suggest you to grab the cake, go to the wall from where you got it, make a small jump and throw it. That felt like the best distance to do it.

Oh and thanks, I'm glad you like it! :_) Hopefully the final stage ends up all looking like this or better.

Ranger X

Mik2121 said:
I just started working on my first LBP2 level. It will be a traditional platformer using some of the Eve and Pirates of the Caribbean materials and decoration.

I'm not 100% sure though.. so I'm playing around with different materials and stuff to get a nice look. What do you guys think?:

2d9f31a937f6e9ba0cb47f9a39c1ba05d0422816.jpg

Sounds like a good idea so far

RagnarokX

Stantron said:
Thanks for the link. I'll check out your level.
I understand the first concept you wrote, but I'm having a hard time understanding the second one. I'll try fiddling with the tools to see if it makes more sense then.

BTW, I never got a response to my question from the previous page. Anyone?
I made a quick mock up of it and saved it as an item. I could publish it in a blank level if you want.

Ferrio

Banned
Mik2121 said:
I will try it right now.

BTW, is it just me or any playstation account-related website automatically logs off every few hours? I've logged-in onto lbp.me a lot of times already and it's just annoying...

Edit - Just played it. It feels much better now, but I would still appreciate some music, even if with low volume... Oh, and also the sound that plays every time you hit one of the bars might be a tiny bit loud.. if you could lower it a bit it would be great, it can get slightly annoying :p (if it's going to take very long to fix it, don't worry about it, but if you can fix it fast I would give it a try)

Well Plinko v1.21 is up just for you

Changes
-Ding noise of puck is toned down.
-Music plays during the Plinko game
-Bob Barker learns how to speak, and reminds us to cut off your animals' balls.

Mik2121

Ferrio said:
Well Plinko v1.21 is up just for you

Changes
-Ding noise of puck is toned down.
-Music plays during the Plinko game
-Bob Barker learns how to speak, and reminds us to cut off your animals' balls.
Just played it. Much better now :)

Laughed at the Bob Barker comment. So out of nowhere.. hahaha :p

Mik2121

Ferrio said:
It's what he says at the end of every Price is Right.
Oh, didn't know that! :p Then again I'm not from the US and I've never seen the Price is Right from start to end (I've seen lots of short clips though).

Loving the game so far, and spent like 5 hours working on making a level today. However I ran into an issue that I was wondering if someone could help me with. All of a sudden during create mode whenever I try and add a sackbot or an enemy the controls freeze up, and my sackboy won't move anywhere but between the three planes, or in hover mode he just floats off. Its like the controls get stuck and I can't figure out why. I know my little thermostat on the left isn't even near 5%. This kind of put a damper on a really fun day of creating.

Acing levels is no fun. Especially when it's a multi-part level and the physics randomly decided to screw me late into part 2 (I got crushed by a flat wall five minutes ago. Flat.). I do love how some of the levels completely change if you use those special stickers though. I was wondering how I was going to reach those areas in the Firefly level.

Mik2121

Uhmm.. not sure about this area..

3c4130583e2f9d160efbc798c7bc8d23c037b7ce.jpg

Feels way too crowded and while in the screenshot it's hard to notice, the waterfall material is kind of distracting (if I make it slower it looks like jelly, lol) and hard to tell what to do in this area, at a first glance. I will remake this part probably.. (and promise I won't be posting screenshots of all the stuff I do, I just wanted to hear some other opinions about this..)

EDIT - What about this one...

f11d4603b320afe4a9610b58487fa14e1b133990.jpg

RagnarokX

Stantron said:
Got it. Really clever solution. Thanks a bunch.
BTW, your Laser Trap level is pretty cool. I'm #2 on the leader board. :p
Thanks. Laser Trap looks worse in LBP2. The lighting has gone to crap and the electricity is too bright now.

mclem

Phaethon0017 said:

The cakes do damage them, but you need direct hits. I generally go for a very small (tapping the button) jump, then throw at the apex

The lasers are spawned in a preset pattern which only speeds up. The lasers themselves don't actually hurt, the dangerous part is when they hit the ground and 'explode', they lethalise that chunk of floor briefly. Timing your jumps so you're airborne at that moment makes all the difference. My preferred tactic is to wedge myself up at the right edge, so I only have to worry about the rightmost laser, and skip over it on cue; after taking out a brain I swap to the left edge and repeat.

How the hell do I make zip lines? I've been messing around with pistons/winches but it's not working out. Anyone seen/done anything like this?

Green Scar said:
How the hell do I make zip lines? I've been messing around with pistons/winches but it's not working out. Anyone seen/done anything like this?
Have you played the story level where there's cakes everywhere? It's one of the early ones. There's a section where you have to use a cake to grind down a railing, a zipline should use the same sort of mechanism.

Mechanical Snowman said:
Have you played the story level where there's cakes everywhere? It's one of the early ones. There's a section where you have to use a cake to grind down a railing, a zipline should use the same sort of mechanism.

Oh shit, I forgot about that. I was thinking about railings or some trickery with the layers but I'm aiming for a more traditional wire thing. Thanks for the tip mind, should help.

STG

Mik2121 said:
Uhmm.. not sure about this area..

3c4130583e2f9d160efbc798c7bc8d23c037b7ce.jpg

Feels way too crowded and while in the screenshot it's hard to notice, the waterfall material is kind of distracting (if I make it slower it looks like jelly, lol) and hard to tell what to do in this area, at a first glance. I will remake this part probably.. (and promise I won't be posting screenshots of all the stuff I do, I just wanted to hear some other opinions about this..)

EDIT - What about this one...

f11d4603b320afe4a9610b58487fa14e1b133990.jpg
I like the second version way more

Ranger X

Tkawsome said:
Acing levels is no fun. Especially when it's a multi-part level and the physics randomly decided to screw me late into part 2 (I got crushed by a flat wall five minutes ago. Flat.). I do love how some of the levels completely change if you use those special stickers though. I was wondering how I was going to reach those areas in the Firefly level.

I seeee, I had the same question! *phew

satriales

I need help with a few things:

1. I'm trying to create a powerup type of object that can be spawned and when the player picks it up it registers as logic in another part of the level. My main issue is emitting the object and still being able to link it up to a global logic system I'm creating, as currently the links are removes when I capture the object and emit it.

The ultimate aim of the system is to have powerups registered as they are collected and after three have been collected certain events occur depending on the order that they were picked up.

2. In a different level I've been trying to create a system where the camera constantly moves, and it is unrelated to the players movement. I have a game camera attached to a piston and can almost get exactly what I need except instead of the camera moving it is just the zone that the camera is pointed at which moves. I can't see any other options that would allow the camera itself to move.

3. Also on this level I'd like the view to be exactly the same as when you switch to 'front view' in create mode. Is there any way of keeping that camera angle when you play the level?

Any tips or ideas of how to work around these issues?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
MThanded said:
b263315ceead5b874c4981518e4eef9c2d52bfe2.png

My 3 player offroad buggy concept is live. http://lbp.me/v/w27t15

Trust me its very rough right now but any plays are appreciated. Hope to add a lot more features and a more challenging course. Took me long enough to tune the suspension and prevent the shocks from breaking off by using some pistons.

Note: this has nothing to do with the logic I was talking about earlier lol.

a84d3b7476dcb48cced44d39522e7632f5e379ca.png

Version 1.1 is up

http://lbp.me/v/w27t15
*made it a coop level so you can get score without racing others
*made the course slightly easier(you still will need to control the throttle to finish without flipping)

Question, if the level is coop to all of the players share the same camera? If so, is there an easy way to allow every player there own camera in case one has a really big lead?

satriales

satriales said:
I need help with a few things:

1. I'm trying to create a powerup type of object that can be spawned and when the player picks it up it registers as logic in another part of the level. My main issue is emitting the object and still being able to link it up to a global logic system I'm creating, as currently the links are removes when I capture the object and emit it.

The ultimate aim of the system is to have powerups registered as they are collected and after three have been collected certain events occur depending on the order that they were picked up.

2. In a different level I've been trying to create a system where the camera constantly moves, and it is unrelated to the players movement. I have a game camera attached to a piston and can almost get exactly what I need except instead of the camera moving it is just the zone that the camera is pointed at which moves. I can't see any other options that would allow the camera itself to move.

3. Also on this level I'd like the view to be exactly the same as when you switch to 'front view' in create mode. Is there any way of keeping that camera angle when you play the level?

Any tips or ideas of how to work around these issues?

I managed to solve my camera issues in points 2 and 3 by using a movie camera instead of game camera. I simply set hold time to 'infinite', adjusted the 'flat' setting to achieve the 'front view' look, and set 'disable controllers' to 'no' so that the player can still control sackboy.

If anyone can still help with my issues in point 1 though, that would be excellent.

Ferrio

Banned
satriales said:
I managed to solve my camera issues in points 2 and 3 by using a movie camera instead of game camera. I simply set hold time to 'infinite', adjusted the 'flat' setting to achieve the 'front view' look, and set 'disable controllers' to 'no' so that the player can still control sackboy.

If anyone can still help with my issues in point 1 though, that would be excellent.

From LBP Central

Slaeden-Bob said:
The problem is that only the first enemy you created will actually have the wire from his Impact Sensor to the Selector, as wires cannot be emitted to connect to already existing objects.

This was already the case in LBP1, and to solve it you had to make some nasty work-arounds. Luckily in LBP2 we can create Wireless Logic fairly simple by using Tag Keys and Tag Sensors

What you can do is to attach a Tag Key of specific color and label to the same circuitboard as the Impact Sensor, and connect the two. You then place a Tag Sensor with sufficiently large radius to cover all of the spawned enemies. You give this Tag Sensor the same color and label as the Tag Keys on the enemies, and connect the Tag Sensor to your Selector.
You now have wireless logic!!!
Each time an enemy is hit, the Impact Sensor will send a signal to the Tag Key causing it to flash briefly. This "flash" will be picked up by the Tag Sensor, and your kill count should increase just as if there had been a physical wire between the two components

Top Bottom