• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

scurker

I've spent a good bit of time on working on a verses level this afternoon without much success.

What I'm stuck on is trying to create a conveyor belt (similar to the one from "The Cakinator") that I can have variable speeds on. It seems that if I use a basic mover, the belt ignores gravity for the most part. It can also get "messed up" if the timing for the emitter + mover isn't just right or have gaps between the objects. I just wish I could peek into the insides of some of the levels to see how certain things are done...

Been working on this for the past few days when I can.

pVr7C.png

It's all for one little player controlled object. It's gonna be nuts. :3

Even if I could properly see all of those modules I don;'t think I could follow it.
Beast my wiring by a mile. What kind of object is that going to control? The next thing I'm trying to create is a heavily player controlled mech.

Mik2121

donkey show said:

http://i.imgur.com/pVr7C.png[IMG]

It's all for one little player controlled object. It's gonna be nuts. :3[/QUOTE]
What the fuck kind of black magic is that! *throws game through the window in panic and horror*

Mik2121

Earlier today someone here posted asking if we did some sketches or something before starting a level or not. I said I did some sketches so I decided to post a portion of the sketch (if you were to see the full sketch, I would have to kill you afterwards and that's not cool) I did for my current level.

Notice that I did this before getting my hands on the game so I did all this thinking about the stuff I had available in LBP1 (ie, the POTC pack). Also because I did this before getting the game, I had quite a bit of free time so I spent a bit more time on this sketch than I would usually do, with stuff like the LBP font (hand-written all the time) used (which I also used for the LBP Community Levels thread)... but hey!. Here it is:

NuAWH.png

r1chard

Mik2121 said:
What the fuck kind of black magic is that! *throws game through the window in panic and horror*
Just think about how horrid it would've been in LBP1 :)

Got the game today (shipped from the UK to save a few pennies - should've just bought local). Man they've created something special. Just the intro and story stuff is such an improvement over the original.

Played a bunch from the queue, including the awesome Blast Radius http://lbp.me/v/w-328s (sure it's by an MM staffer, but it's still pretty amazing and a sign of things to come).

Mik2121 said:
Earlier today someone here posted asking if we did some sketches or something before starting a level or not. I said I did some sketches so I decided to post a portion of the sketch (if you were to see the full sketch, I would have to kill you afterwards and that's not cool) I did for my current level.

Notice that I did this before getting my hands on the game so I did all this thinking about the stuff I had available in LBP1 (ie, the POTC pack). Also because I did this before getting the game, I had quite a bit of free time so I spent a bit more time on this sketch than I would usually do, with stuff like the LBP font (hand-written all the time) used (which I also used for the LBP Community Levels thread)... but hey!. Here it is:

http://i.imgur.com/NuAWH.png[/QUOTE]
That looks great. What sketcher program did you use to draw it?

Love the game, much better then the first Little Big. Now is much more easy create and share so finally i can make some levels...

I made the first test stage, is a speed run, not so polished but a good excercise (http://lbp.me/v/w359tb). Now i'm ready to test my skills with something much more complex.

I have all the notion but what i want to ask you, dear gaf, is how i can make an enemy lethal to player. Yeah, i know about weapons, but what i need is an enemy capable to kill a sackboy with a single touch... I know how to make the sackbot search for the player but I don't know how to make him lethal. Any clues?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have a pretty epic new vehicle based level to drop . Will wait until more people are around.

My proudest creation yet. (Spent about 8 hours on it)

MotherTrucker V1.

Preview
-Offroad monster truck racing
-3 2d player racing level
-Full monster truck suspension. Vehicle has been playtested a massive amount and handles amazingly
-Ability to level vehicle in air or on ground(think trials hd)

-Bonus points for keeping front tire off of the ground for more than 5 seconds
-Timed gameplay

Surprised there is not rotational sensor. I need one so I can give bonus points when players do flips.

I'm extremely proud at how well it came out. Now that i have the vehicle tuned perfectly I can churn out some challenging levels.

Mik2121

marathonfool said:
That looks great. What sketcher program did you use to draw it?
I just used Photoshop. For this kind of sketches I maximize the screen and put the few colors I'll use around, so I don't need the menus. And just start sketching around.

mclem

Bebpo said:
Finished world 5 and some thoughts:

-The bonus stage where you control 2 characters at once and solve puzzles was really good. That's the cool thing about LBP2, it's MM trying their hand at so many different gameplay types, you find ones that they're really good at. They should try doing more puzzle levels.

I think the water bonus round later on in the same world was a slightly more interesting puzzle level, but both of those were a fantastic change of pace.

I'm wondering: I think, ambitiously, I'd like to see how the whole game plays out in four player. I'm imagining some of the more offbeat levels would be very interesting (those puzzle levels, the Advanced Armaments Academy, the fifth boss), plus it'd be a chance to mop up the 3x and 4x bubbles (after having a fairly hellish time with the 2/3/4x in Bang for Buck!). Would anyone be interested?

Also, I'm toying with my first ideas for create mode. I'm thinking Trials-style gameplay, but in a mine handcart controlled by two players. Possibly.

zankara

mclem said:
I think the water bonus round later on in the same world was a slightly more interesting puzzle level, but both of those were a fantastic change of pace.

I'm wondering: I think, ambitiously, I'd like to see how the whole game plays out in four player. I'm imagining some of the more offbeat levels would be very interesting (those puzzle levels, the Advanced Armaments Academy, the fifth boss), plus it'd be a chance to mop up the 3x and 4x bubbles (after having a fairly hellish time with the 2/3/4x in Bang for Buck!). Would anyone be interested?

Also, I'm toying with my first ideas for create mode. I'm thinking Trials-style gameplay, but in a mine handcart controlled by two players. Possibly.

I would be pretty keen. Although, I live in NZ so timezones might make it a bit tricky?

r1chard

MThanded said:
Surprised there is not rotational sensor. I need one so I can give bonus points when players do flips.
You could probably fake one with sensors on some holographic material set to follow the vehicle which doesn't rotate, and other sensors on the vehicle.

mclem said:

I'll play co-op with you (or anybody else in this thread), send me an invite.

PSN: TelemachusD

Just finished world 5. I know that on GAF the community is mostly about creating, but I don't think it can be said enough how amazing MM are at crafting their levels. Absolutely wonderful.

I fear that world 6 is going to be the last one, however, which makes the game far too short. I want it to go on and on :(

MThanded

http://lbp.me/v/w3n0f8
Monster truck Mayhem 1-3 players
936019b153c49ef776d8bc08d798be1cd72c56c7.png

256uv5c.jpg

inhlwz.jpg

Features
-Full monster truck suspension. Vehicle has been playtested a massive amount and handles amazingly

-Timed gameplay

A 3 player racing game with fully functional monster trucks. These precision tuned and playtested monster trucks have full suspension and support for air and on ground leveling(left stick) similar to excitebike. Try to beat your best time or race with 2 other friends.

Can someone please explain to me how the versus mode scoring works? For some reason I can't seem to register a score on the leader-board in versus mode? I need versus mode for the camera support? Any ideas? You get on the leaderboard but your score does not, it just has a dash?

rhino4evr

MThanded said:
Monster truck Mayhem 1-3 players
936019b153c49ef776d8bc08d798be1cd72c56c7.png

256uv5c.jpg

inhlwz.jpg

Features

-Timed gameplay

A 3 player racing game with fully functional monster trucks. These precision tuned and playtested monster trucks have full suspension and support for air and on ground leveling(left stick) similar to excitebike. Try to beat your best time or race with 2 other friends.

B]Can someone please explain to me how the versus mode scoring works? For some reason I can't seem to register a score on the leader-board in versus mode? I need versus mode for the camera support? Any ideas? You get on the leaderboard but your score does not, it just has a dash? [/B]
Cool..so where is the link!

New MM Pick Level

ab317f8ff61448feadd732b9e940e134bbf3e49b.png

The Popit Sackbot [Update 1.02: Basic Goodies Bag Functions]
By Hazbell

http://lbp.me/v/w3xgzg

Amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it and have nothing else to do. Have a go at the Popit Sackbot, with added features! It's still in testing stages so bugs and other annoyances are to be expected... The next thing to be added is the tools bag!

95ce5d24b265d5de9a10851325bb5c1d539cb731.jpg

Pretty amazing, the guy is basically trying to recreate create mode in play mode.

I was really looking forward to playing LBP 2 this weekend but the delivery never came. If I could rewind time, I'd gladly pay a couple bucks for shipping. :(

Madman

donkey show said:

http://i.imgur.com/pVr7C.png[IMG]

It's all for one little player controlled object. It's gonna be nuts. :3[/QUOTE]
One question, what is attached to those tags in the upper left? Can tags be turned on/off?

Madman said:
One question, what is attached to those tags in the upper left? Can tags be turned on/off?
Ah, directional splitters are attached to those tags. I'm using that for some wireless logic. And yes, tags can be activated/de-activated.

And just as you asked me, I totally thought of a better way to handle that logic, lol. Thanks!

Stantron

Ferrio said:
Well I think I'm done with Plinko for awhile.

Here's the final version

http://lbp.me/v/wzsefj

I'll be moving back to finish up story mode, then work on the new level I'm designing. Sorta in the proof of concept stage right now.
I found a glitch. If you try to put the cursor too far down, it bounces back up. Well if you release the puck during that time, it may fly away upward, leaving you stuck there.
I would add a sign showing current puck number / total pucks.
Cool level. The Bob Barker sackboy is pretty funny.

Ferrio

Banned
Stantron said:
I found a glitch. If you try to put the cursor too far down, it bounces back up. Well if you release the puck during that time, it may fly away upward, leaving you stuck there.
Cool level. The Bob Barker sackboy is pretty funny.

Ya I figured that it would be possible to do that, though unlikely. Easy fix would be to make it so pucks don't keep their spawner's velocity or whatever... but I want people to be able to have the option of throwing pucks. Maybe disabling puck throwing for a second or two if they get caught out of bounds... hrm.

I would add a sign showing current puck number / total pucks.

I really wish they'd of put in some kinda UI element, Guess I'll do it the hard way. Anyway to keep a element precisely on the screen?

Also, in that video above in the beat-em-up, it shows the controls on the bottom of the screen... how do you do that? Looks like default LBP stuff too, I'm guessing it's something in controllinator I haven't touched (naming buttons???)

Hopefully I can work more on my new level today, it's a recreation of a classic game. Ideally I'd want to have two versions of it in the end. At the beginning of the game players would either pick classic pixel look, or LBP 3d look. My only worry is someone will create the game before I do :(

Stantron

Ferrio said:
Ya I figured that it would be possible to do that, though unlikely. Easy fix would be to make it so pucks don't keep their spawner's velocity or whatever... but I want people to be able to have the option of throwing pucks. Maybe disabling puck throwing for a second or two if they get caught out of bounds... hrm.
Maybe just put an invisible ceiling so that the puck can't escape the board.

Finished the game :( I wish there was more to it. The variety and charm of each level is insane. It's too short in the fact I feel like I barely scratched the surface of what can be done in this game, but I suppose that means it's time to find some good user created levels. I do hope MM make some DLC packs of levels ala MGS4/PotC in the first game.

Loved it all in all. Now I need to go back and find everything, despite the fact I'm not going to touch the level creation.

Ferrio said:
I really wish they'd of put in some kinda UI element, Guess I'll do it the hard way. Anyway to keep a element precisely on the screen?

Also, in that video above in the beat-em-up, it shows the controls on the bottom of the screen... how do you do that? Looks like default LBP stuff too, I'm guessing it's something in controllinator I haven't touched (naming buttons).
Open up a controlinator, press square near any button where you would pull out the wiring, click on the "name" which is the first selection in the options menu, type whatever, ???, profit.

Ferrio

Banned
donkey show said:
Open up a controlinator, press square near any button where you would pull out the wiring, click on the "name" which is the first selection in the options menu, type whatever, ???, profit.

Ya, that's what I though I'd have to do. I just never tried heh.

Any tips on how placing a UI element to always be a certain position on the screen no matter where the player/camera is?

Stantron said:
Maybe just put an invisible ceiling so that the puck can't escape the board.

No such thing. Least I have yet to find a object that's invisible AND has collision.

MThanded

donkey show said:
Damn son. Protip. Will use on my racing level.

How you like your buttons? Fried or fertilized

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mik2121 said:

That's why I haven't created anything, TBH. Too much work in making circuits.

Ranger X

TheSeks said:
That's why I haven't created anything, TBH. Too much work in making circuits.

You can't expect starting by doing stuff like that. It's Donkey Show common, he was with me in freaking beta of the first LBP and never stopped playing. He seems also competent in electronic / circuitry so this game is tailored for his brain.

Start small, it's the only way to make progress. The first Donkey Show project didn't look like that, not in a million years.

Stantron

Say I make a square object with a circle cutout in the center. I can easily fill that cutout area with another material because I can easily place a circle inside, then increase the size until it fits snug. But what if I have a complex cutout? Is there a way to fill-in that area easily with another material?

BTW, I really wish the materials selector would remember the last selection you made. It's annoying having to scroll all the way back to where you were.

Ranger X

Stantron said:
Say I make a square object with a circle cutout in the center. I can easily fill that cutout area with another material because I can easily place a circle inside, then increase the size until it fits snug. But what if I have a complex cutout? Is there a way to fill-in that area easily with another material?

BTW, I really wish the materials selector would remember the last selection you made. It's annoying having to scroll all the way back to where you were.

Make a square that is bigger than you object and in another material than your object.
Now copy your object and paste it in that square.
Delete your object's copy.
You now have your object's inside cut out for you. :)

Stantron

Ranger X said:
Make a square that is bigger than you object and in another material than your object.
Now copy your object and paste it in that square.
Delete your object's copy.
You now have your object's inside cut out for you. :)
Fantastic solution. Thanks so much.

jayb

is there any way for an object to emit itself?

I want to have an object with an emitter and various logic to basically emit an exact copy of itself (including all logic and emitter).

The problem is I can't save the object until I've specified what I want emitted. But I can't specify what I want emitted, because I can't save the object yet. aarrrrggggg!!

MThanded

jayb said:

I want to have an object with an emitter and various logic to basically emit an exact copy of itself (including all logic and emitter).

The problem is I can't save the object until I've specified what I want emitted. But I can't specify what I want emitted, because I can't save the object yet. aarrrrggggg!!
chicken and the egg

Ferrio

Banned
jayb said:

Make an exact duplicate of the object. (aka capture it twice)

edit: Actually maybe not, this hurts my brain thinking about it.

edit2: I think I saw a post on LBP central about this. Like if you edit the original object, it'll modify what it emits still. Wish I could find the link.

donkey show said:
Ah, directional splitters are attached to those tags. I'm using that for some wireless logic. And yes, tags can be activated/de-activated.

And just as you asked me, I totally thought of a better way to handle that logic, lol. Thanks!

Man I have trouble getting one timer to do what I want it to do. Holy crap.

MThanded said:
Damn son. Protip. Will use on my racing level.

How you like your buttons? Fried or fertilized
Oh man, Turquoise Jeep level. :O Another banger, or should I say smanger?

Ranger X said:
You can't expect starting by doing stuff like that. It's Donkey Show common, he was with me in freaking beta of the first LBP and never stopped playing. He seems also competent in electronic / circuitry so this game is tailored for his brain.

Start small, it's the only way to make progress. The first Donkey Show project didn't look like that, not in a million years.

LOL, so true Ranger. The first level was nothing like this. Although I'm far removed from circuitry and programming irl (I work in the health care industry, but not in IT), this stuff really clicks with me for some odd reason and it does give me even more respect for those developers who create action/fighting games, etc. Also, I just like to make fringe stuff in LBP, so don't expect a majority of levels to have the same kind of complexity I'm trying to accomplish with the stuff up there.

Stantron said:

The Star menu on the pop-it not only holds your hearted materials/stickers, but it also has a collection of all the materials you have used in that particular level you're making. It's much easier than scrolling to a particular point in the materials menu if you're consistently using a specific material.

jayb said:

In your emitter when choosing an object, pick the first option that looks like the capture tool and capture the object you want emitted. With that option, you can continue modifying your object and the changes will automatically show up when you emit the object again. Really useful for your situation.

MiamiWesker said:
Man I have trouble getting one timer to do what I want it to do. Holy crap.

Haha, sometimes I still do.

I'll post some progress vids of that thing I posted earlier in a bit. =)

jayb

donkey show said:
In your emitter when choosing an object, pick the first option that looks like the capture tool and capture the object you want emitted. With that option, you can continue modifying your object and the changes will automatically show up when you emit the object again. Really useful for your situation.

awesome, thanks.

Ferrio

Banned
donkey show said:

Dammit ya knew I read that on LBPcentral, that place is a goldmine of info.

Top Bottom