• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

Ranger X

MThanded said:
Has there been a general lack of interest in this game? It seems like this thread is slowing down really quickly compared to the initial LBP thread.

The game did sell quite a shiton more than the first one but GAF (just like with LBP) is pretty quiet about LBP2.

I finished a preview of my first (ever) level:

Colission Wars:

387fe0fbfbaa9cac6a831ea41415002d51af9e4e.png

http://lbp.me/v/x9tmb5

A basic twin-stick schmup. The preview features the first wave + the first bossfight. Have fun and give me feedback :)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Technical mumbo jumbo incoming

6621af763a7c46ead0e140f0654dd4bb365505e1.jpg

So for my level Super Monster Truck Mayhem - Score/Time Attack I put together a monster truck with built in scoring and a HUD to tell the driver when they will score points for wheelies, big airs and flips. It actually took quite a bit of time to get working and I am fairly happy with how it turned out. This is probably the 10th iteration of this vehicle.

2gvpndh.jpg

2e68uc7.jpg

2ebg02w.jpg

Note: above pictures have and old non working flip detector.

Features
-Left analog stick allows rotation of vehicle while moving on the ground or in the air. Helps for getting over ramps and doing wheelies.
-Quadrature encoder based flip detection. I replicated a quadrature encoder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_encoder in game. The advantage of a quadrature encoder is its accurate detection of rotation in either direction. When a person begins a jump it knows relatively what position it was in at this time. My quadrature encoder only has 4 sensors(90 degrees of view each, think a pie cut into 4 slices) but it can and probably will be expanded to have more accurate measurements.

1|2
- -
3|4

2wqtmx5.jpg

The one issue is the mechanism takes up five layers. This is due to needing to have four tag sensors in the exact location. Since they cannot be overlayed I needed to have them all on different layers. The 5th layer contains a tag attached to a board bolted to the other layers. The board is attached to a gyroscope so it always points up. When the vehicle rotates, the tag is always in the view of one of the four tag sensors. Each sensor has a specific bit pattern 01 11 10 00 . I then used a simple algorithm that can easily determine which direction the object had rotated http://www.didel.com/mot/RomEnco.pdf ( sommers algorithm). This algorithm needs knowledge of the previous bit pattern so I implemented data storage in the form of D type flip flops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flop_(electronics) )A full 360 degree rotation involves 4 rotations of 90 degrees.

2i24q6r.jpg

-Wheelie detection is implemented using impact sensors on the wheels and body. When the back wheel is the only item touching the ground a counter starts. When the counter reaches a given time 100 points is given to the driver of the vehicle for each second afterwards. The counter only resets when the body or the front wheel touches. Meaning if you are going over bumps and your back wheel comes off the ground you can still get bonus points if you land on your back wheel and keep driving

-Big air detection is implemented and detects when no part of the truck is on the ground

-Tag based score limiter. My level uses time gates however there is no way to prevent points from accruing when the time runs out. This would leave the person able to continue storing and abusing the points from wheelies, jumps and flips. To prevent this all scoring is based on both a timer and a tag. Each truck detects a tag that signifies it should start scoring and tag that signifies if it should stop scoring. Also there is a timer that ticks down at the same rate as the gated race.

-HUD Floating in the bed of the truck are counter signifying to the driver if they have wheelied or been in the air enough to gain bonus points.

Current bugs
----------------
One thing i need help on is having a usable suspension that can also support the stress that occurs from flipping in the air. When you rotate quickly in the air the heavy wheels pull on the suspension forcing the springs and pistons out of alignment. They will return but if you do too many flips at once. the vehicle will break.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Quick question:

If you were to do offline co-op with someone and they use their own account, will they get stickers and trophies on theirs too if they earn them on your profile/PSN ID?

Ta.

MThanded

Damn someone played my level 11 times and ended up crushing my score by 1000 points. Gonna have to reclaim that spot when I get home.

ijed

MThanded said:
Technical mumbo jumbo incoming

Some great ideas there - will give it a play tonight :)

MThanded said:
The one issue is the mechanism takes up five layers. This is due to needing to have four tag sensors in the exact location. Since they cannot be overlayed I needed to have them all on different layers. The 5th layer contains a tag attached to a board bolted to the other layers.
Couldn't you put all the tag sensors on one microchip?

So after the Global Game Jam on the weekend am inspired to do a level based on the theme that was chosen: 'Extinction'. Can't really do a straight 48hr stint so thinking to give myself a limit of 24 or so cummulative hours (or just see what I've got by the end of the week).
It's going to be a survival level on moving platforms where you save sackbots from a gelatinous blob - Got the basic level mechanics down last night so just need to layout the level and do some sounds and grafx - If anyone wants to help I need some music or a cityscape background :).

Another idea I had for it was to make a Last Guy level - thought it would be pretty straight forward using sackbots with followers ... and a chiptune remix of Popcorn ;)

MThanded

I have a 4 course single level multiplayer version of the monster truck game coming sometime this week. Gonna work on it when i get a chance. Thank the lawd for the corner editor. If I did not have that making courses would be a huge pain.

Ugh, I had just solved something in 10 minutes with so much more elegance and ease in logic than doing the same in the beta that took me several hours to do. Fucking hell, lol. I've actually found it much easier rebuilding from the beta than I had originally anticipated. Can't wait to publish this damn thing.

MThanded

How go people get such good badge pictures? I cant seem to figure out how to zoom in on something specific for a badge pic

Ranger X

MThanded said:
How go people get such good badge pictures? I cant seem to figure out how to zoom in on something specific for a badge pic

Make the photo frame smaller on the spot you want to "zoom" on.

Piggus

Hey guys.

Posted in the other thread but since people are posting their levels here too, I thought I would talk about mine.

This is pretty much my first level. My last one was during the LBP1 Beta and I was just messing around like a lot of people were at the time.

GoFastFTW LBP2 Edition

09881422eb2133bb33cd7ba8f16916eb7ef450c7.png

Basically it's a time trial level where the player must race down an increasingly steep incline while jumping over boxes. After the checkpoint, you must jump as well as change layers to avoid them. It's very trial and error oriented though it's not very frustrating. It's pretty short and you can try as much as you like. But for players looking to get a high score they'll need to complete a quick, perfect run. The car I made looks simple but has all kinds of cool stuff about it. For the first part of the run, you have a limited amount of boost available. As you use it, a meter on the side fills up. Once it's almost full, a yellow light and an alarm goes off to tell you that you've almost maxed out the boost. If you fill it completely, a red light flashes (with a different alarm) and the car explodes. The player has unlimited boost for the second hill but they'll have to use it carefully as well. The level supports multiple players but I don't recommend it. After the checkpoint, the car is destroyed and the players are spawned in a new car facing the other direction. When there are multiple players, the host is always spawned as the driver regardless of who was driving during the first section. Not sure how to fix this, but I'm very open to suggestions.

I put A LOT of time into this so I hope people like it. I know it's nothing compared to what some people can make but meh, it's my first try. It's a simple concept that I tried to make more exciting with the whole "club" aspect as you'll see. I would greatly appreciate it if people gave it a shot. Thanks! :)

Here are a few screens I took.

Bbutk.jpg

qfRfO.jpg

qSoqt.jpg

GpTsg.jpg

gUwv3.jpg

mCv0Y.jpg

cYBDT.jpg

Also, some of the circuit stuff you guys are doing is amazing.

MThanded

ijed said:
Some great ideas there - will give it a play tonight :)

Couldn't you put all the tag sensors on one microchip?

THANNNNNNNNNNK YOU BASED GOD!!!!!!!. That worked now I can track flips on 3 different monster trucks simultaneously!!!!

Just finished making a four course single stage monster truck level that tracks flips , wheelies and big airs for each player. Course is done just needs some polishing. will be up tommorow. Its epic(if I say so myself)
kanyecry.gif

Stantron

I have an impact sensor on a sackbot which sends a signal when standing on the ground. So if he jumps, the signal turns off... that's all good. However, if I bump into a wall or other object, it also sends a signal. Anyone know of a simple way to make it just send a signal if touching the floor? I'd really like to avoid making it work with tags because then I'd have to spam tags on all my floor objects (I'm not even sure how that would work).
edit: ^ nice work donkey show. :3

Stantron said:
I have an impact sensor on a sackbot which sends a signal when standing on the ground. So if he jumps, the signal turns off... that's all good. However, if I bump into a wall or other object, it also sends a signal. Anyone know of a simple way to make it just send a signal if touching the floor? I'd really like to avoid making it work with tags because then I'd have to spam tags on all my floor objects (I'm not even sure how that would work).
edit: ^ nice work donkey show. :3
Thanks mang! And having the impact switch be activated by a key should do just fine. Place the key on any surface you only want it to be activated.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
donkey show said:
No logic pics. It's pointless showing it, lol. Anyway, another update vid on my level project showcasing combat options. Top down action/beat-em-up/twin-stick shooting madness... hopefully.

Star Saviour Combat Test (WIP): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72-L9fKaKEM

Here's to hoping I can finish the level by the weekend. ^^

Looks really cool, your levels are always great! Only thing I feel missing from a few of your levels is a feeling of impact. Maybe add something that makes you feel the impact of your weapons. The bigger ones should have an even bigger "oomph".

Looking forward to playing it!

wouwie

My copy of lbp2 arrived yesterday. Since i have been playing quite a few lbp1 user levels in lbp1 the last couple of days, i was curious to see if those looked better in lbp2. So the first thing i did was load up some of my favourite user levels to see if there's any difference. I came away very impressed. Hadn't thought these lbp1 levels would look so much better. Colors seem richer and more vibrant (less washed out), lightning seems improved and the anti-aliasing looks great. In general, everything seems to look better.

I replayed Spice&Co and Miracle of life from Poms (two favourites of mine) and came away very impressed. Especially Miracle of life looked so much better in lbp2. Framerate seems to have taken a hit though in these particular cases (might be coincidence). Vile Anchorage looked great too.

Also, i'm impressed by the amount of changes MM did to the game in general (user interface for example).

Overall, very good first impression. Can't wait to start playing the story levels and more user levels.

Lidas

Neo Member
Hello everyone. Really awesome stuff in here, a lot of cool levels I need to try out.

I only managed to publish one level in LBP1 (which looks horrible, if not outright broken, in LBP2). I'm trying to finish my first, but hopefully not last, project for LBP2. I´m trying to construct a solid core gameplay that can be used throughout a series of levels.

The idea is to let the player operate a UFO, equipped with a tractor beam. The beam will be used to move objects to solve puzzles and/or to abduct the creatures on the planet. All in the name of science of course! There are still a few kinks to iron out, mainly with the tractor beam, but I hope to have a gameplay test level ready soon. Hopefully, I will receive feedback to further improve the handling of the UFO and the way the tractor beam works. I really hope to “perfect” the controls before I start building real levels.

My logic may be a little rough, but making stuff work is extremely satisfying. Some of you could probably build the logic for this in a fraction of the time it has taken me. But I'm getting better, I think. I'll post a link (in the community levels thread as well) to the test level once it's been published.

28c4b1f01aecb1609aac78e7a3278dd4b850c67a.jpg

832569a21141133ac38f5a6d3fed7f83f00ef808.jpg

Anyone tried my level yet? (see last post form me).

I would really like some feedback from some of the pro-builders and of course regular players . :)

MThanded

donkey show said:
UnCGC.png

No logic pics. It's pointless showing it, lol. Anyway, another update vid on my level project showcasing combat options. Top down action/beat-em-up/twin-stick shooting madness... hopefully.

Star Saviour Combat Test (WIP): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72-L9fKaKEM

Here's to hoping I can finish the level by the weekend. ^^

Did you make the holographic letters yourself? Also the numbers? If you didn't where can I get them if you did can you help a brother out? I need some holo numbers and I don't want to make them.

Side note , not related the Donkey: In general I have a problem making polished experiences. I excel at working on logic and and the gameplay but not so much the design. I finished a level last night but I am holding off on publishing it because I am not sure what to do with the actual in game looks. Its a 4 course monster truck race. Maybe I should look at some actual monster truck race pictures and try to emulate them.

mr_boo

Inanna said:
Quick question:
If you were to do offline co-op with someone and they use their own account, will they get stickers and trophies on theirs too if they earn them on your profile/PSN ID?
Ta.
Yes - they would earn costumes/stickers/objects according to what's obtained by the team. But you have to be careful. Let's say you have a friend coming over to play, he/she needs to be able to bring over a copy of their profile (let's say on a USB stick) and import that profile onto your local PS3). This updates their account on your PS3 to the latest+greatest. Once your friend leaves, he/she needs to copy over the profile (on your PS3) onto the USB stick and import that profile over onto their local PS3.

As far as I know, LBP2 stores account information (stuff like sticker/costumes/object unlocks and levels completed) locally, on the PS3 in play. There is no network server store of this information (like Call of Duty per say).

I figured this out cause I actually own two PS3s, and I transport my LBP2 profile between the two PS3s. Hopes this helps.

Thunderbear said:
Looks really cool, your levels are always great! Only thing I feel missing from a few of your levels is a feeling of impact. Maybe add something that makes you feel the impact of your weapons. The bigger ones should have an even bigger "oomph".

Looking forward to playing it!
Thanks man and totally understandable. There's still lots to be added, but thanks to the movers in LBP2, I've been able to add a lot of stuff such as kick back and added motion to the attacks that definitely add to the feeling of a large attack. It's probably not as apparent since there isn't a "floor" in the vid, but the final product will give off more impact. Although this was LBP1, this was by far the most favorite and rather most impact worthy attack I created, lol.

MThanded said:
Did you make the holographic letters yourself? Also the numbers? If you didn't where can I get them if you did can you help a brother out? I need some holo numbers and I don't want to make them.

Side note , not related the Donkey: In general I have a problem making polished experiences. I excel at working on logic and and the gameplay but not so much the design. I finished a level last night but I am holding off on publishing it because I am not sure what to do with the actual in game looks. Its a 4 course monster truck race. Maybe I should look at some actual monster truck race pictures and try to emulate them.

I created the letters and numbers. The bottom one near the hud was created using the sticker cutout tool with the digital slices. The top ones are just made with the help of the grid tool. All holo material.

As for polish, just get some reference material and go from there. It's all a matter of taking the time to add those touches.

Is it just me or is the game sort of light on basic material textures? I spent the last day and a half plowing through LBP1 to get back all the materials to use.

Confidence Man said:
Is it just me or is the game sort of light on basic material textures? I spent the last day and a half plowing through LBP1 to get back all the materials to use.
I think if you go through the tutorials, they give you a lot of the older materials.

MThanded

donkey show said:
I think if you go through the tutorials, they give you a lot of the older materials.
You know whats weird. I checked the box that bypasses all the tutorials but it still thinks I have tutorials to do.

Stantron

Lidas said:
My logic may be a little rough, but making stuff work is extremely satisfying. Some of you could probably build the logic for this in a fraction of the time it has taken me. But I'm getting better, I think. I'll post a link (in the community levels thread as well) to the test level once it's been published.
I feel you on this. I'm moving at a snail's pace trying to wrap my head around this logic stuff. It feels very non-intuitive right now, but I'm hoping if I can spend enough time learning the tools and building simple things, it will eventually click.

Initially I wasn't taken by the single player story levels until maybe the last 2/3 worlds. I loved the forest type one near the end. Some absolutely fantastic variery in there. I might go through some of the other levels again.

Really wasn't too keen on the grapple hook as it was difficult to maneuver with and it put me off.

Haven't really dipped my toes into the community yet but I did enjoy a TD type game though a lot. There seems to be a lot of films being made.

I may actually do a level if I can be arsed again. I have a little idea which expands upon my Sacboy Does America and I can link the two together. We'll see...

MThanded said:
You know whats weird. I checked the box that bypasses all the tutorials but it still thinks I have tutorials to do.
when you tick the box at the bottom you only unlock the tutorial items. you still have to watch the tutorial level if you want the trophy. that's about it.

Gosh.. I'm finding it frustrating this evening. I'm trying to make it dump the player at the scoreboard when the creatinator gets destroyed, only it won't do it with the (movie) camera not pointing at the player (works when its set to follow player)

Its only a mess about level to try and help me get my head around all this logic stuff (limited sucess so far!).

I made a nice cloud that gets shot by the sun... but it just keeps scrolling instead of showing the scoreboard. I've tried emitting a scoreboard from the start hole thing, letting the start hole thing drop to the scoreboard, to letting the player drop down to the scoreboard and setting a player sensor to turn the camera off on the scoreboard but its still not doing what I want. Arrgh!

edit>
Tryckser said:
Anyone tried my level yet? (see last post form me).

I would really like some feedback from some of the pro-builders and of course regular players . :)

I played it a couple of times last night. I was a bit drunk but I remember found it pretty good so far.

As I'm trying to create a shoot em up myself (or maybe a couple) Its great to see what others have managed. I cant seem to make things attract towards the player like you have. The boss was good fun despite the fact thats where I died....

Is there any way to control the expression on a player's sackboy? I want to make a 'controllable' movie in widescreen and want the player to be able to move their character, but I can control their expression at certain points.

hsukardi

Ranger X said:
The game did sell quite a shiton more than the first one but GAF (just like with LBP) is pretty quiet about LBP2.

Are the sales figures out?

There's just not as much hype behind LBP2 as there was behind the first title.

Stantron

@rubbishmonkey
Not sure what's going on with your logic, but maybe try destroying the camera object when you dump the player to the scoreboard.

@canadian crowe
Yes, as jump_button pointed out to me the other day, there is a behavior chip next to the sackbot in the popit menu. Place it on your sackbot circuit board. Then when you trigger it in your level, your sackbot will behave appropriately. You can even act out more full body stuff but I haven't tried that out yet.

jayb

rubbishmonkey said:
Gosh.. I'm finding it frustrating this evening. I'm trying to make it dump the player at the scoreboard when the creatinator gets destroyed, only it won't do it with the (movie) camera not pointing at the player (works when its set to follow player)

did you try using the game ender tool?

here what im working on first is a big level long way off bet working on it as i work on little levels

290146530f070603e7f4d7ebdcdcdf1d0c5db790.jpg

and this is my side/top down platformer (not sure what to call it) any names?

ecf28d6115a618b9847a04ad0882321f29c23d15.jpg

Stantron said:
@canadian crowe
Yes, as jump_button pointed out to me the other day, there is a behavior chip next to the sackbot in the popit menu. Place it on your sackbot circuit board. Then when you trigger it in your level, your sackbot will behave appropriately. You can even act out more full body stuff but I haven't tried that out yet.

Thanks. I can finally start on my Sackboy version of Death of a Salesman.

Ranger X said:
What data are you basing that on? In the UK it certainly had not sold as well as the first.

Shame, because this is a much better game.

Ranger X

Opus Angelorum said:
What data are you basing that on? In the UK it certainly had not sold as well as the first.

Seems to be selling more if we trust the comments Media Molecule made with the online. Their load was alot higher than expected and I have also witnessed 60 000+ people online multiple times. Real sales is not out yet or I didn't see it yet. I should have said the sales SEEMS better. I really didn't word my comment properly afterall. I also sense more entousiasm in america and saw more advertising.

And yeah, I do hope it does sell more than the first because it's indeed a way better game.

Opus Angelorum said:

Better then Dead Space 2 from what I seen and LBP got a big fan base in the uk

MThanded

jump_button said:
here what im working on first is a big level long way off bet working on it as i work on little levels

290146530f070603e7f4d7ebdcdcdf1d0c5db790.jpg

and this is my side/top down platformer (not sure what to call it) any names?

ecf28d6115a618b9847a04ad0882321f29c23d15.jpg
Looks amazing.

Speevy

Banned
Just got the game, and while it's awesome, I'm far less compelled to create anything. intimidated might be the best word for it.

When I finally do though, I want it to be something personal.

Top Bottom