• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

Speevy

Banned
The things like FPS are so scary.

I'd like to believe there's some point at which I could make my own sprites do whatever they're doing to bring Zelda, Pac-Man, and Mario to life, but I know it's a billion wires and light tricks that I would never begin to grasp.

rubbishmonkey said:
...frustrating camera stuff...

I fixed my problem by fitting an object destroyer onto the thing that held the camera. Not exactly perfect but at least it works. Perhaps I can tidy it up a little now that its working.... at least I can move onto my health bar <gulp>

brentech

Don't know what the level name is off the top of my head, but does anyone else feel like the level where you're flying around and picking up/dropping off sackbots has the music of a level from PixelJunk Eden?

That's literally the only thought that came to my head the entire time.

ijed

brentech said:
Don't know what the level name is off the top of my head, but does anyone else feel like the level where you're flying around and picking up/dropping off sackbots has the music of a level from PixelJunk Eden?

That's literally the only thought that came to my head the entire time.

Same guy that did the music for Eden did some of the tracks for LBP2 (Baiyon) - He even did them in the music sequencer so if you find the prize bubbles for his tracks you can remix them.

brentech

ijed said:
Same guy that did the music for Eden did some of the tracks for LBP2 (Baiyon) - He even did them in the music sequencer so if you find the prize bubbles for his tracks you can remix them.
Interesting, thanks for clearing that up. Did a simple search on google and here, but didn't turn up any quick matches. I figured there had to be something to that extent going on.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
donkey show said:
Thanks man and totally understandable. There's still lots to be added, but thanks to the movers in LBP2, I've been able to add a lot of stuff such as kick back and added motion to the attacks that definitely add to the feeling of a large attack. It's probably not as apparent since there isn't a "floor" in the vid, but the final product will give off more impact. Although this was LBP1, this was by far the most favorite and rather most impact worthy attack I created, lol.

I created the letters and numbers. The bottom one near the hud was created using the sticker cutout tool with the digital slices. The top ones are just made with the help of the grid tool. All holo material.

As for polish, just get some reference material and go from there. It's all a matter of taking the time to add those touches.

Good to hear! It's really great that you are still so passionate about LBP. You are one of the best creators out there.

Snipes424

Finally aced all the levels, some them were extremely nerve wracking :p

Btw, if anyone needs the 2player, 3player and 4player rewards, hit me up on PSN: Snipes424.

I just need those for all stickers/stuff collected.

ijed said:
ooh i have 80 mins to go for mine :0
Jam of Doom v1.0

This is your level, right? I played it earlier and just wanted to share a thought I had. Right now the sackbots just stand there waiting to be eaten. I thought it would funny if the sackbots tried running away from the jam when they get close to it, but they're not fast enough to escape it. Add some sound clips too.

Mik2121 said:
Where can I check how many minutes left I have until the 1440min thing?

One of the pins?
Yeah, should be one of the create pins.

Lidas

Neo Member
I had the hardest time working out how to get the tractor beam on my UFO to only affect objects inside the beam. The behavior and input/output options on the tags and tag sensors really confused me. I got the beam to work, but when an object got activated to "float" toward the UFO, nearby objects outside the beam would also be affected. My solution became more and more complicated, with layers of holographic material attached to every object by all kinds of wires and sensors. I think I spent at least 7 hours fiddling with this (I'm no expert...).

It still didn't work. I threw everything out and it took me no more than 30 minutes to build a simpler solution that also works much, much better. Now I just need to place a single chip on each object, and it will work and behave correctly (as far as I can tell at this stage). In hindsight, my initial approach was completely backwards. But it helped me realize what not to do. And I had fun all the way.

ijed

SolidEyeSystem said:
Jam of Doom v1.0

This is your level, right? I played it earlier and just wanted to share a thought I had. Right now the sackbots just stand there waiting to be eaten. I thought it would funny if the sackbots tried running away from the jam when they get close to it, but they're not fast enough to escape it. Add some sound clips too.

Great idea - that sounds pretty doable. Also want them to make a bigger splat when they get squished and yeah def needs more sounds and some more lights.

It's great the new emitter lets you use an object in the scene so you can modify it without having to recapture it and load it back into the emitter again. That wasn't in LBP1 was it?

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
mr_boo said:
Yes - they would earn costumes/stickers/objects according to what's obtained by the team. But you have to be careful. Let's say you have a friend coming over to play, he/she needs to be able to bring over a copy of their profile (let's say on a USB stick) and import that profile onto your local PS3). This updates their account on your PS3 to the latest+greatest. Once your friend leaves, he/she needs to copy over the profile (on your PS3) onto the USB stick and import that profile over onto their local PS3.

As far as I know, LBP2 stores account information (stuff like sticker/costumes/object unlocks and levels completed) locally, on the PS3 in play. There is no network server store of this information (like Call of Duty per say).

I figured this out cause I actually own two PS3s, and I transport my LBP2 profile between the two PS3s. Hopes this helps.
Thank you so much for replying! Also, what about the trophies?

mclem

Katana_Strikes said:
I must be missing something real simple here... but how do you select your friends levels?

Press something on them (Square, is it?) to go to their planet, then browse from there.

For shameless advergaming, I did actually find the Prius level a bit more enjoyable than I was expecting. There's absolutely no challenge in it, though.

Adamm

Boooo, my work has now blocked lbp.me :(

Probably cause I spent most of my day on the queuing levels for when i get home

r.gun

Neo Member
Has anyone tried the online lately? How reliably would I be able to invite 3 friends into my pod and play for a couple of hours?

jayb

Adamm said:
Boooo, my work has now blocked lbp.me :(

Probably cause I spent most of my day on the queuing levels for when i get home

mine has blocked it from the beginning. I have to use my cell phone to queue up levels from work. :(

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Having some trouble accessing lbp.me from work. Either my PSN profile isn't synced because I get a 404 when I try to access my dashboard.

Either way, working on my first level. A traditional platformer. Trying out different things and experimenting. Should be done after 1 or 2 more sessions with the editor depending on time.

mr_boo

Inanna said:
Thank you so much for replying! Also, what about the trophies?
No problem - it's easy to get questions lost in the thread shuffle. Regarding Trophies, I believe those achievements earned are stored on a server. Every time, I hop on one PS3 to the other, before I can import my profile, notification bubbles will start popping up regarding trophies earned. My life would be much easier if they also stored the profiles online, but c'est la LBP vie.

Thunderbear said:
Good to hear! It's really great that you are still so passionate about LBP. You are one of the best creators out there.
Thanks man! The game and the people behind it have been good to me, so it's been a fun ride since. =) If I only had more free time, lol.

But after I'm done with Star Saviour, more work is going to be put into my stem cell project and possibly work on a multiplayer level, King of the Monsters style. ^^

And damn, work wised up to lbp.me. It's now blocked. =(

Stantron

Lidas said:
I had the hardest time working out how to get the tractor beam on my UFO to only affect objects inside the beam. The behavior and input/output options on the tags and tag sensors really confused me. I got the beam to work, but when an object got activated to "float" toward the UFO, nearby objects outside the beam would also be affected. My solution became more and more complicated, with layers of holographic material attached to every object by all kinds of wires and sensors. I think I spent at least 7 hours fiddling with this (I'm no expert...).

It still didn't work. I threw everything out and it took me no more than 30 minutes to build a simpler solution that also works much, much better. Now I just need to place a single chip on each object, and it will work and behave correctly (as far as I can tell at this stage). In hindsight, my initial approach was completely backwards. But it helped me realize what not to do. And I had fun all the way.
Good shit. Yeah, some of my logic stuff was getting overly convoluted the other day, so I stopped and asked myself, "OK, what is it exactly that I want to do?" After thinking through the problem several times, I finally came up with a more elegant solution. Feels good.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Picked the game up today after hearing the create mode is more reliable and less glitchy; right now playing through the campaign to collect the goodies. Actually pretty impressed so far; I imported my stuff and checked to see if the level I made in LBP1 functioned right... I think it's OK, didn't notice any glitches. (It's here: http://lbp.me/v/p7418f )

So, I will see if I can get my head around building in this one.

Loving the create mode so far. Although I'm still getting problems making the enemies do what I want in my side ways scrolling shoot/thunder em up. I don't think my brain is quite computing the logic system well at the moment, but im (very slowly) making prgress... compared to some of the stuff already made its rubbish though. Maybe if i make it look nicer no-one will notice

I'm not feeling my Star Saviour project any more for some reason. Maybe I'll have to put that on the backburner for awhile until I get s'more inspiration for it.

donkey show said:
I'm not feeling my Star Saviour project any more for some reason. Maybe I'll have to put that on the backburner for awhile until I get s'more inspiration for it.

Try watching Star Driver? (not too sure about the translation of well you see)

jump_button said:
Try watching Star Driver? (not too sure about the translation of well you see)
Eh, I've seen it and it really doesn't fit what I want. It's more of a scenario issue than anything else. I'll probably just reapply all the new logic stuff I did back to the Fist of Craft Earth level I made back in the beta. I think I'm still in love with that premise which is why I made Star Saviour the way it was, lol.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
100% minus acing the levels.

Not sure what to make for Create mode trophies so I get a ton of hearts and then never have to worry about the create mode trophies in a LBP again. *siiigh*

jayb

TheSeks said:
Not sure what to make for Create mode trophies so I get a ton of hearts and then never have to worry about the create mode trophies in a LBP again. *siiigh*

LBP1 or 2? there aren't any heart trophies in LBP2. the hardest create mode trophy is getting 50 thumbs up/positive ratings, which is much easier than trying to get the level and creator heart trophies from LBP1.

Seventy5

I just picked this up today and I'm amazed at how much better the campaign levels are than the first game. I know I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time, just like with LBP1. I can't wait to try out some of the community levels. Great job MM, hope this game sells millions of copies as it's well deserved.

vermadas

I thought the first LBP was a good game but didn't think it was amazing. I played through the story levels and then never touched the game again.

I haven't played many of the story levels in LBP2, but I gotta say, I'm having a lot more fun with it so far than I did LBP1. Definitely planning to try out some of the community levels this time too.

ijed

TheSeks said:

So I guess you'll be make 50 dummy psn accounts? ;P

TheSeks

jayb said:
LBP1 or 2? there aren't any heart trophies in LBP2. the hardest create mode trophy is getting 50 thumbs up/positive ratings, which is much easier than trying to get the level and creator heart trophies from LBP1.

I mean played and hearted and positive faces. :|

TheSeks

ijed said:
So I guess you'll be make 50 dummy psn accounts? ;P

I did that for the first, TBH. I probably will do it for the plays again. Can't hurt. It's just a hassle. I wish MM wouldn't penalize those of us that don't really want to create levels with these. :/

TheSeks

How are you supposed to get some of the prize bubbles in LittleBigPrius? Some of them are inaccessible unless I'm missing something. :/

Anyway, I have an idea for the contest/create mode now. I just need to know if I can do multiple camera shots within a "film..." And get a funny script going. :/

Stantron

TheSeks said:
I did that for the first, TBH. I probably will do it for the plays again. Can't hurt. It's just a hassle. I wish MM wouldn't penalize those of us that don't really want to create levels with these. :/
Holy shit you're doing it so wrong.

TheSeks

Stantron said:
Holy shit you're doing it so wrong.

Jeff of Giant Bomb's review said it best:

The tool upgrades given to creators in LittleBigPlanet 2 are enough to make the game feel pretty fresh, making the game worthwhile even if you never actually delve into the creation mode yourself. But if you've got a great level idea burning a hole in your brain, and don't mind putting in a grip of time to get it just right, you'll find the tools to be pretty accommodating once you learn how they all work. Me, I'm perfectly content with just surfing through the lists of levels, picking out the craziest examples I can find, and losing myself in a world of twisted Mario clones, shooters, and levels loosely based on feature films. So get out there and create some more of those for me, cool?

AKA: I don't really give two shits about the create aspect of the game. Why should I be penalized from getting Platinum because I don't want to do that part of the game? It's stupid. :/

TheSeks said:
Jeff of Giant Bomb's review said it best:

AKA: I don't really give two shits about the create aspect of the game. Why should I be penalized from getting Platinum because I don't want to do that part of the game? It's stupid. :/
give me your login information and i'll make something for you.

Ranger X

And why should trophies be for everyone?
I mean, how is it different than with a game with multiplayer mode trophies and I am not interested in playing the multiplayer? Same.

Besides, the game is more important than the trophies anyways so I hope this is an extremely minor inconvenience.

TheSeks

DMPrince said:
give me your login information and i'll make something for you.

NO U. I just need to sit down with the tutorial for film making and see if I can do artsy fartsy shots for the prius contest I don't care about but could get 50 plays with maybe. That is if no one does my idea. :/

In any case, worse case scenario is I can make a level called "Final Fantasy IX" that has nothing but a start gate in it and piss off the LBP2 community while getting plays like This dude has done for it.

I mean, how is it different than with a game with multiplayer mode trophies and I am not interested in playing the multiplayer?

Because in that case it isn't as much of a pain in the ass to get those as it just requires organizing a party. Here, you have to get fifty unique players to play a level. Good luck with that with everyone publishing levels per minute.

TheSeks said:
NO U. I just need to sit down with the tutorial for film making and see if I can do artsy fartsy shots for the prius contest I don't care about but could get 50 plays with maybe. That is if no one does my idea. :/

In any case, worse case scenario is I can make a level called "Final Fantasy IX" that has nothing but a start gate in it and piss off the LBP2 community while getting plays like This dude has done for it.

go with option
one

donkey show said:
Eh, I've seen it and it really doesn't fit what I want. It's more of a scenario issue than anything else. I'll probably just reapply all the new logic stuff I did back to the Fist of Craft Earth level I made back in the beta. I think I'm still in love with that premise which is why I made Star Saviour the way it was, lol.

just relax you thinking and trying to hard and befor you know it you will be back on it

Top Bottom