• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

B-Dex

Can anyone tell me how I can create a custom movable crate (when you have the grabinator equipped) I tried to make it but when I made a wooden block it won't move even when using the grabinator. It seems like it should be easy but I tried to google it and I'm getting nowhere here :S.

ijed

B-Dex said:
Can anyone tell me how I can create a custom movable crate (when you have the grabinator equipped) I tried to make it but when I made a wooden block it won't move even when using the grabinator. It seems like it should be easy but I tried to google it and I'm getting nowhere here :S.

Material tweaker should let you change it's properties to grabbable

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
[Edit]: Re-posted in the community thread.

Loving this game so far. Far superior to the first game. They've really nailed the concept. Wondering what ideas they want to follow up on in LBP3. :)

r1chard

donkey show said:
Started making a controllable Godzilla-esque creature. Shit's gonna be so cash, lol.
I played a Godzilla level a few days ago (put it in the levels thread). LBP2 needs MOAR GODZILLA!

Thrakier

Thrakier said:
Prius level was nice, Sackmachines v3 was awesome too!

Can anyone explain to me please how to use the community costumes?

anyone? I asked that a couple of times and get completly ignored. :(

Thrakier said:
I think so, yes. There are several "Community Costumes level" things...
So if they're on sackbots, this is how it works. You receive the sackbot as a community object with said costume. Pull up the sackbot in an empty or existing level on your moon, click on the costume option in the sackbot pop-it. When the costume menu pops up, just pick the "save costume" option from the top 4 choices in that menu, ???, profit. This is all assuming you have the proper DLC to use them though.

Stantron

Thrakier said:
How do I pull up a sackbot in create mode?
Go to a level in create mode. Press square to bring up the popit menu.
Default sackbots are found in the tools bag, but that's not what you want.
Go to your goodies bag, then press R1 to page over to community objects.
That's where you'll find the custom costume sackbot. Select and place in your level.
Press square to open its menu to see the costume at the very top. Save costume.
Now that costume should appear in your normal costumes menu even if you aren't in create mode.
Note that you will need to have bought any DLC the costume uses or else you will not be able to save it. It's not an exploit to get DLC for free.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I may need 2 beta tester to join me on a new monster truck level I am working on. Sometime tonight. Anyone willing to give it a run through

deadnoob

I'm not very good (or creative) but I'm making a Kaboom clone. Obviously it wont be that good without a paddle, but I'm trying to learn how to use the stuff in LBP. It is a lot harder than it seems lol.

I got it to the point where if you miss bombs, you lose a bucket and if you catch them you gain 10 points.

I'm looking to add AI for the bomber, when you hit 1000 you get another bucket, and also the old Activision patch when you hit a certain score.

Here are some screens of the WIP:

5dd325d7d495e223a966aa9cb151731b94f2e7ec.jpg

c4d284be48aa747cbf3551fa61e033c84e379066.jpg

4d65c67f92f28f33ef333e3800c46717cfa29dde.jpg

Edit: good thing I posted these. I see I forgot to hide the controllinators above the buckets.

I'm the only one who feels the SP campaing is a huge step down from LBP?

- The music is way, WAY worse
- The levels no longer have that cohesive craft-artstyle, this even shows in the costumes which no longer look "handmade"
- Speaking of the levels, gone is the "WOW, how the f* they manage to do that with just ropes and springs" since now everything is more "magical" thanks to circuits, sackbots, bumpers, etc. instead of being (almost) purely physic based
- I really enjoyed the slower pace of LBP1 too, it was very different from most other platformers. It felt a lot like a group slowly co-oping through a level, this is also gone and levels now feel a lot more frantic
- The new creators are creepy and ugly as hell
-
The old creators were all mad patients on Eve's stage, WTF
(spoilered just in case)
- They keep calling sackboy a sackthing!

all of this is very subjetive and only IMHO

I welcome the new tools and the improved create mode, but I feel a lot of the charm was lost. Still an amazing game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Man, create mode is such a chore. :/

Gotta put some lights in the tunnel, figure out how to get the Prius to stop moving forward (guess I have to dive into the microchip) for recording purposes, slap a rocket on it and make a piano. Then it's a matter of filming. It took me 4 hours just to build a road and a tunnel in addition to some other stuff and watch tutorials for some things. Ugh. :/

I should just create dummy accounts and get the 50 plays that way. Much easier. :/

Speevy

Banned
Can someone help me?

I'm trying to record sound from my Playstation Eye. It recognizes it as an image-taking device, but not as a sound recording device. Any ideas?

Squishy

Is there any easy way to get any object apart from a sackbot to move along a predetermined path? There's a particular creature that I made and I want to make it move along a very specific path without being controlled by a player. It's in water, and I don't want it to be attached to anything. I tried using movers but couldn't really seem to get it to work.

This game is sooo much better than the first in terms of everything working the way you'd expect. In LBP1 I never made a complete level because I spent so much time working on one particular mechanic and I could never get it to work the way I wanted. In LBP2 I can get basically everything I can think of to work perfectly, although it takes alot of tweaking, problem solving and trial and error. I have to say, I feel much more motivated to make a complete level this time around, since the sense of achievement is so much greater. The only trouble is, it's taking me a long, long time. I got that 1440 minutes of create trophy a day or so ago, yet I haven't actually started on the "level" portion of my level yet. But what do I care? It's a hell of a lot of fun.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Some of the stuff in this game is ridiculous. The Lost demo is one of the more impressive things I've played so far, could definitely see myself having a lot of fun with something like that.

ijed

Speevy said:
Can someone help me?

I'm trying to record sound from my Playstation Eye. It recognizes it as an image-taking device, but not as a sound recording device. Any ideas?

Check your audio settings in the XMB maybe?

squishy said:
Is there any easy way to get any object apart from a sackbot to move along a predetermined path? There's a particular creature that I made and I want to make it move along a very specific path without being controlled by a player. It's in water, and I don't want it to be attached to anything. I tried using movers but couldn't really seem to get it to work.

Anti-grav tool set to about 50% Dampening and mover should be all you need...

Speevy

Banned
ijed said:
Check your audio settings in the XMB maybe?

Yeah that was it. Thanks. I had to replace my PS3 and I didn't realize it wasn't set up to recognize the PS Eye as a sound recorder by default.

mclem

BomberMouse said:
- The levels no longer have that cohesive craft-artstyle, this even shows in the costumes which no longer look "handmade"
I will admit that I do miss this.

-
(spoilered just in case)
I like to believe that the entirety of Little Big Planet was just a feverish hallucinatory dream. The Collector was actually the dreamer's interpretation of the doctor trying to save them. Alas, as he took away more parts of the dream, he got more and more involved in it himself but used the dreams to defend himself until eventually the progenitor of the virus broke through his defenses and left him helpless to succumb to the other creators.

I'm now trying to draw a parallel between the events of LBP2 with the Tidus/Sin relationship in FFX. I think there's something there. Ultimately, though, it sounds like the sackbeast hath been unleashed upon Craftworld, and the ceasing of all life on the planet may be nigh.

Real reason: Gender-neutral. In-universe reason: Larry da Vinci is fairly consistently befuddled and doesn't quite think in terms of accurate naming.

BomberMouse said:
I'm the only one who feels the SP campaing is a huge step down from LBP?

- The music is way, WAY worse
- Speaking of the levels, gone is the "WOW, how the f* they manage to do that with just ropes and springs" since now everything is more "magical" thanks to circuits, sackbots, bumpers, etc. instead of being (almost) purely physic based
- I really enjoyed the slower pace of LBP1 too, it was very different from most other platformers. It felt a lot like a group slowly co-oping through a level, this is also gone and levels now feel a lot more frantic
- The new creators are creepy and ugly as hell
-
(spoilered just in case)

all of this is very subjetive and only IMHO

I welcome the new tools and the improved create mode, but I feel a lot of the charm was lost. Still an amazing game.

Yea some of the cool elements are taken out and it feels a bit shorter. The variety is better IMO.

The music is MUCH MUCH MUCH better in LBP1. The music was more charming and had more character.

mclem

Host Samurai said:
The music is MUCH MUCH MUCH better in LBP1. The music was more charming and had more character.

Licensing Left Bank Two was a stroke of genius, even though it'll only really mean anything to Brits.

The intro to My Patch was used as the introduction to the radio panel game "The Unbelievable Truth" I did a few double-takes the first time I went into the meerkat nightclub.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just queued up a tonne of levels from the community thread. Haven't been able to play for like a week - OMG, hurry up weekend!

Stampy

I was greatly disappointed with the tutorials in this game. The comical tone they try to accomplish in them starts to get irritating really early on, due to the fact that most of the time you are haring bad jokes and not good explanations of functions of each specific type of gadget. I mean, what did I learn about Movers in the tutorial? That they make random objects behave like they have epileptic seizure and that it is all a part of the LBP charm. Great! Thanks for nothing, LBP tutorials; now I have to do all this trial and error stuff before even starting to fiddle with the creation process.

Ranger X

Stampy said:
I was greatly disappointed with the tutorials in this game. The comical tone they try to accomplish in them starts to get irritating really early on, due to the fact that most of the time you are haring bad jokes and not good explanations of functions of each specific type of gadget. I mean, what did I learn about Movers in the tutorial? That they make random objects behave like they have epileptic seizure and that it is all a part of the LBP charm. Great! Thanks for nothing, LBP tutorials; now I have to do all this trial and error stuff before even starting to fiddle with the creation process.

Yes, the tutorial are TOTAL crap. In fact, it's one of most badly done and useless tutorial I've seen in years!! But LBP2 needed a flaw so we can all stay convinced it was made by human beings I suppose.

The tutorial should have been inspired by REAL tutorials made for popular engines like Unreal for instance. You know that classic tuto that makes us build this tower death match area? That's exactly how the tutorials in LBP2 should be. They should make us build a level from head to toes.

mclem

The tutorials work - approximately - as a reference point for a specific thing you're trying to work with, but I agree that I'd love a good guided example to put it all in context.

Maybe a talented end-user could create one on a webpage making a simple level? Release a level which uses all the basic ideas, then make a step-by-step guide to indicate how to implement it. Pointing to the relevant tutorial whenever they add a new element - so the user is familiar with the reference points involved - then expanding on what the tutorial says to describe how they'd integrate it into the design.

Edit: I'm now thinking that perhaps we'd be looking at three 'grades', here. First tutorial, solely about platforming. Introduction to physics, explanation of the various forms of connections, grappling hooks, a tiny bit on triggers to whet your appetite for the future and to open up a bit more potential for variety in the levels. That alone is enough information to make a basic level, and those who just want to start out would be able to take that and run with it.

Second stage, focus on more in the way of emergent behaviour, stretch beyond the concept of 'you vs. the environment', with a few more factors to inject some randomness into proceedings.. Enemies, basic Sackbot stuff, Creatinator, grabinator. Some more advanced trigger content. Once again, getting through the second tutorial section should leave you with enough of a foundation to make a more advanced level.

Final stage would be maximum complexity, with the Controllinator, microchips, extensive game logic to work with. At this point, though, it becomes hard to conceptualise a single level that encompasses what you want to teach - although I'd suggest that Avalon's Advanced Armaments Academy would be a good level style to derive from.

Finally, some small offshoots could cover decorating your level, music sequencing and cutscenes, camera and lighting; those would pretty much work at any point.

I'll do it myself if I ever actually pick up some talent, but right now I'm just picking through the basic stuff, which may be my limit :)

Stampy

mclem said:
The tutorials work - approximately - as a reference point for a specific thing you're trying to work with, but I agree that I'd love a good guided example to put it all in context.

Maybe a talented end-user could create one on a webpage making a simple level? Release a level which uses all the basic ideas, then make a step-by-step guide to indicate how to implement it. Pointing to the relevant tutorial whenever they add a new element - so the user is familiar with the reference points involved - then expanding on what the tutorial says to describe how they'd integrate it into the design.

That would be lovely. :D

BTW, are there at least some pages/videos with user tutorials for this game, especially for LBP2 new features?

MThanded

My masterpiece has finally reached a point where I am ready to publish it!!!! (tutorial text and cameras are slightly borked but gameplay is there) . Can't believe it got the score tracking and single layer quadrature encoder to work.

7deaf541b5b52858ecfe10cbcca4f0e043179372.png

Super Monster Truck Revenge - 4 Course Race
http://lbp.me/v/xdwp8e

The ultimate monster truck racing level. Challenge your friends to a race. Get bonus points for doing wheelies, big airs and flips. Come back for more!!!!!!!!!!! V1.0

6c3e16a7c4f5ffb1e16978ad425704cf00205ef0.jpg

312e83c6eb7cfadd48cc61368a05f3c634334fc9.jpg

6f9fc17b61208d51538f2a39f3578a9833b2da5f.jpg

6a0d47cd84d4f0df3d3a66cf4bc7347d742abf3b.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Okay, so reverse engineering the Prius won't let me "move it during recording" for a cutscene/film. Using a sequencer will let me do camera angles but not move the Prius/Sackboy controlling it.

In addition the Prius has no "cancel getting out of the car/stop controlling the car" function.

So basically, the Prius is pretty damn useless in addition to some of the prizes if you don't own ALL the DLC that is used in the LittleBigPrius level.

Good going, MM. :| Good going, create mode. :|

I'm done. I'm just going to publish an empty level and make 50 throwaway accounts to play it. Screw it. If I can't film a car going and stopping at the places I want so I can drop a piano on it only after strapping a rocket to it, there is no point for me to using create mode anymore. :/

Stampy

I just started to have fun with the create mod, but I am having some difficulties with creating invisible barriers that would prevent players from going certain points where I don't want them. What is the easiest was to create completely invisible walls?

Stampy said:
I just started to have fun with the create mod, but I am having some difficulties with creating invisible barriers that would prevent players from going certain points where I don't want them. What is the easiest was to create completely invisible walls?
You can make really thin walls of either dark or light matter. When thin enough, they'll visually disappear, but still be there.

Stampy said:

holographic material make it a thin layer make it so you can see and make it plasma and take sound off if you want stoping them from going between layers as well top tip

Mik2121

Stampy said:
Just sayin', but...

Invisible walls SUCK. They suck in any single game that's been out there and a lot of GAF loves to bitch about any game with them.

Being able to 'limit' the areas where a player can go without making them look too forced or plainly using invisible walls is part of good level design. I've never used them and I'd rather never be in the need for some.

Stampy

Mik2121 said:
Just sayin', but...

Invisible walls SUCK. They suck in any single game that's been out there and a lot of GAF loves to bitch about any game with them.

Being able to 'limit' the areas where a player can go without making them look too forced or plainly using invisible walls is part of good level design. I've never used them and I'd rather never be in the need for some.

I agree, when used for no purpose they are beyond stupid. But when using invisible walls with scenic justification, I don't see problems with them, because they are contextually expected.

jump_button said:
holographic material make it a thin layer make it so you can see and make it plasma and take sound off if you want stoping them from going between layers as well top tip

This would be a useful thing to be able to prevent players from going through all layers, but how do you achieve for that holographic plasmified barrier to be completely invisible? :/

RagnarokX

Stampy said:
I've been using holographic material set to 0 brightness with impact sensors that turn on a electric danger tweaker when players pass through them. That way the electricity isn't visible until activated.

MThanded

RagnarokX said:
I've been using holographic material set to 0 brightness with impact sensors that turn on a electric danger tweaker when players pass through them. That way the electricity isn't visible until activated.

weebay.gif

ijed

donkey show said:
You can make really thin walls of either dark or light matter. When thin enough, they'll visually disappear, but still be there.

Neon set to 0 brightness should work too. Use anti-grav with 100% Dampening if you want it in the air.

RagnarokX

Ranger X said:
So you guys are not just making invisible walls but KILLER invisible walls? lolololol
Now that's annoying!
Well, the alternative is to make walls of dark matter and use the corner editor to make them so thin that they are invisible but still solid.
ijed said:
Neon set to 0 brightness should work too. Use anti-grav with 100% Dampening if you want it in the air.
Neon is invisible at 0? I thought it just turned black like a normal light.

Stampy said:
Vertically, use a piece of Matter and shrink it to a tiny size. You can place it where ever you want and it will be invisible but solid. You can make invisible walls and floors this way.

If you want to stop people changing layers then use the same method, but have the material on the thin planes between the thick layers. If you draw them like rails from ground height to just over Sackboy's head height then the player won't be able to jump to change layer.

Top Bottom