• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

mclem

Ranger X said:
And who's idea is this at Media Molecule to decide that Acing levels will give important prizes like music and materials now?

Now sackbots can wear costumes, surely that makes costumes 'important' too? It gets to the point where there's nothing that's *unimportant*.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
faust said:
Just by either highlighting the wires when that option is available and pressing triangle, or going to the connection points, pressing square and hitting the delete option. After all the wires were removed i just shrunk down their microchip icon and moved it off to the back of the car out of my way.

Hmmm... I'll have to try that in a little bit.

Do you happen to know the option/item you used to get the L/R2 function? Controlinator?

ijed

leesmapman said:
If you like the song Popcorn, I made it into a music item for you to earn when you finish the level:
http://lbp.me/v/x9xere

You can use it in your own levels.

That's fantastic - I've started working on a Last Guy type game and wanted a chiptuney popcorn theme so might give it a remix but will definitely give you credit if I use it :)

Ranger X

Pancho said:
How can you see other players' hearted levels? I can't figure it out for the life of me

Easiest is to go in LBP.me and search for the PSN name. You can also click on a PSN name anywhere on the website. When you are at X person's profile, you have "hearted levels" in the list on the left.

If you're in the game, you can click on a PSN name and this will bring you to that person's profile. If you press square on that person's card, you will fall into more details about him/her. Scroll down a little and look for the "lastest hearted level". When that window is selected, you can press X for "more hearted levels".

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ranger X said:
Hardest ones to ace imo is Full Metal Rabbit and the level right after (damned sackbots!!)

EDIT: And they both give materials when you ace them. This means I MUST suffer them through.
Is that the level which you have to drive the rabbit and dodge those pink lasers? If it's that one, it took me a good 20 tries to get that one. The hardest ones are the one after that and the last level. The last levels in general are definitely the hardest to me.

Ranger X

LiquidMetal14 said:
Is that the level which you have to drive the rabbit and dodge those pink lasers? If it's that one, it took me a good 20 tries to get that one. The hardest ones are the one after that and the last level. The last levels in general are definitely the hardest to me.

Yes. I only miss those levels and I am done. Will probably succeed at some point.
The last level before the end boss was easy to ace though. I got it first try.

Teppic

Is it possible to make a 4 player Micro Machines clone that actually works? Tried Sackro Machines, but if one player gets too far behind the remaining players can't see where they're driving because both the last player and the first player can be off screen at the same time. Is there something that can be done about that?

RagnarokX

Ranger X said:
FINALLY aced "Full Metal Rabbit"!!

Now unto "Where in the world is Avalon Centrifuge" ...
Full Metal Rabbit was easy. All you have to do is wait and time jumps. For most of the lasers you can just hold R1 and slide into them from the side where they are totally helpless.

Now Where in the World is Avalon Centrifuge, that's the hardest friggin level to ace in the entire game.

Mik2121

RagnarokX said:
Full Metal Rabbit was easy. All you have to do is wait and time jumps. For most of the lasers you can just hold R1 and slide into them from the side where they are totally helpless.

Now Where in the World is Avalon Centrifuge, that's the hardest friggin level to ace in the entire game.
Funny enough, I aced that level (Where int he World is Avalon Centrifuge) pretty fast, but Full Metal Rabbit took me some 10+ tries. The rabbit controls weren't quite the best...

RagnarokX said:

No kidding. I got really, really lucky though and aced it pretty quickly. That last part was especially nerve racking, I had so many close calls it was a miracle I survived. I can't remember if it gets you the X-ray material or the Pixel material, either way it's worth it if you like creating.

RagnarokX

Tkawsome said:
No kidding. I got really, really lucky though and aced it pretty quickly. That last part was especially nerve racking, I had so many close calls it was a miracle I survived. I can't remember if it gets you the X-ray material or the Pixel material, either way it's worth it if you like creating.
Part of the problem is that you have to rely heavily on the sackbot AI and they are idiots. "Hey guys, you mind shooting that deadly floating eyeball before it kills me?" And then at least one time I died because the giant robot glitched and put his foot down way faster than he should have. Oh, and that part where you grapple the spinning wheel inside the robot. There's a chance the force of being reeled into the wheel will crush you to death.

Stantron

The hell? I just realized that the controlinator doesn't have functionality for R3. Why would they leave that out, when all of the other buttons are accounted for?

ijed

Stantron said:
The hell? I just realized that the controlinator doesn't have functionality for R3. Why would they leave that out, when all of the other buttons are accounted for?

R3 gets you out of the controlinater in Create Mode if you override the default eject button

new level ;) http://lbp.me/v/xgh6jv posted in user level thread too

Im not sure what to try next im going to try and play some community not really played that much, LBPC spotlight should be soon hope they some Iv missed only played most Mm picks :) good to see them doing it alot more then they did in pass, I hope they can keep it up

faust666

TheSeks said:
Hmmm... I'll have to try that in a little bit.

Do you happen to know the option/item you used to get the L/R2 function? Controlinator?

I stuck one of those advanced logic switches with the + and - inputs and a single output to the controlinator board. Attached R2 to the + side, L2 to the - side (I believe I had to stick an inverter somewhere too), and the output to the wheels (these get tweaked to directional rather than on/off).

spats

jump_button said:

Im not sure what to try next im going to try and play some community not really played that much, LBPC spotlight should be soon hope they some Iv missed only played most Mm picks :) good to see them doing it alot more then they did in pass, I hope they can keep it up

Nice, queued it. Gonna try it out later.

jayb

just one level left to ace... Where in the world is Avalon Centrifuge. This is definitely the hardest one for me.

jump_button said:

Your level is great, jump. It has a clean, cool style, and the gravity shift is an ingenious twist I've not seen anyone else do, but I thought it ended a bit soon. It's a simple mechanic so I was hoping it would get a little harder and make you shift in midair or do multiple shifts fairly quickly. It's definitely a strong concept that can be expanded on with more platforming and some interesting puzzles.

Stampy

Ugghhh, I am going crazy with these new features. Please guys tell me what I am doing wrong. :/ It is such a simple thing, yet it is giving me headache...

I opened the sackbots behavior, recorded an action. The game returns to pause. I select playback mode: Play once. Then I open the sequencer, put a battery on it midway point, take the output of the battery and connect it with the input of the sackbots behavior. And then I unpause, and the little bastard immediately starts acting out, but when I activate the sequencer and when the battery is activated, the sackbot defiantly stands still. I just don't get it what I am doing wrong. :(

Stampy said:
Ugghhh, I am going crazy with these new features. Please guys tell me what I am doing wrong. :/ It is such a simple thing, yet it is giving me headache...

I opened the sackbots behavior, recorded an action. The game returns to pause. I select playback mode: Play once. Then I open the sequencer, put a battery on it midway point, take the output of the battery and connect it with the input of the sackbots behavior. And then I unpause, and the little bastard immediately starts acting out, but when I activate the sequencer and when the battery is activated, the sackbot defiantly stands still. I just don't get it what I am doing wrong. :(
I think the behavior will only be active for the length of time it takes the sequencer marker to traverse the length of the battery. You probably need to make the battery longer.

IIRC you use the right analog stick to stretch out the battery.

Stampy

Lance Bone Path said:
I think the behavior will only be active for the length of time it takes the sequencer marker to traverse the length of the battery. You probably need to make the battery longer.

IIRC you use the right analog stick to stretch out the battery.

Thank you for your reply. I tried that but the battery length didn't have any impact on the sackbot. The same stuff happens.

Edit: Ok, I got it now. There must be two behaviors, one idle, and one waiting to be activated. It seems one behavior cannot be turned off/on (or at least I don't know how). Man, this whole process would have been so much easier if people at MM were willing enough to create some basic creation guidelines. I really can't stress enough how bad it is to go into create mode and having to learn all these quirks the hard way. I mean, why should a player discover by himself that subtitles only appear if a magic mouths are positioned on cammera. Or that for controlling a sackbot you need to follow it with invisible hologram and do some tempering with cammeras. Those are all standard techniques and lack of any kind of support from MM's part really shows how supportive they are of newcomers.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
The MM picked FPS level is cool in concept but I found it really boring and unresponsive. I appreciate what he did with the engine, making it like the really old, old school FPS's where you step forward one screen at a time but it just isn't fun (for me).

I guess it deserved the MM pick for effort though. Here it is:

http://lbp.me/v/xbgkk4

TelemachusD said:
Your level is great, jump. It has a clean, cool style, and the gravity shift is an ingenious twist I've not seen anyone else do, but I thought it ended a bit soon. It's a simple mechanic so I was hoping it would get a little harder and make you shift in midair or do multiple shifts fairly quickly. It's definitely a strong concept that can be expanded on with more platforming and some interesting puzzles.

sorry im only doing little level right now working on a really big one in between them

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Stampy said:
Thank you for your reply. I tried that but the battery length didn't have any impact on the sackbot. The same stuff happens.

Edit: Ok, I got it now. There must be two behaviors, one idle, and one waiting to be activated. It seems one behavior cannot be turned off/on (or at least I don't know how). Man, this whole process would have been so much easier if people at MM were willing enough to create some basic creation guidelines. I really can't stress enough how bad it is to go into create mode and having to learn all these quirks the hard way. I mean, why should a player discover by himself that subtitles only appear if a magic mouths are positioned on cammera. Or that for controlling a sackbot you need to follow it with invisible hologram and do some tempering with cammeras. Those are all standard techniques and lack of any kind of support from MM's part really shows how supportive they are of newcomers.

I just enabled subtitles in movie cameras and as long as the magic mouth is triggered during the camera view they showed up.

Stampy

MThanded said:
I just enabled subtitles in movie cameras and as long as the magic mouth is triggered during the camera view they showed up.

Sorry. :) My mistake, I meant sequencer. I didn't even check what i wrote. The frustration killed me. I wasted whole weekend and barely have 30 seconds of playing area for my level. :p

BTW, does anyone know if you can disable black boxes when creating unskipable cut-scenes?

TheSeks

faust said:
I stuck one of those advanced logic switches with the + and - inputs and a single output to the controlinator board. Attached R2 to the + side, L2 to the - side (I believe I had to stick an inverter somewhere too), and the output to the wheels (these get tweaked to directional rather than on/off).

Hmmm... removed the wires, unpaused the game with a controller on the car. Car moves on it's own volition. WTF. :/

Better yet, if you have the car already made and in a level, where can I play it capture it for myself instead of trying to do this myself. :/

Kuraine

Neo Member
I may be going about this in the reverse order, but I wrote a fun little tune that I need to make a level around haha.

http://lbp.me/v/xgm4w6

Really loving working with the sequencer. So glad there's copy-paste functionality, as well as support for velocity, tone, etc. Much more to it than I was initially expecting, giving what I'd heard made with it so far.

It's so tempting to make a Baiyon-like with those synths available.

Now to figure out what kind of level/game to actually make...

ijed

Stampy said:

Edit: Ok, I got it now. There must be two behaviors, one idle, and one waiting to be activated. It seems one behavior cannot be turned off/on (or at least I don't know how).

If you use a selector with 2 inputs/outputs:
- 1st input connected to a 100% battery - output to your default behaviour.
- 2nd input to trigger/sensor whatever and output to your other behaviour.

Kuraine said:
Really loving working with the sequencer. So glad there's copy-paste functionality, as well as support for velocity, tone, etc. Much more to it than I was initially expecting, giving what I'd heard made with it so far.

Yeah still discovering the music sequencer functions - just realised you can move the note end for pitchbends w00t.

TheSeks

This LittleBigPrius contest is such a trainwreck. Bunch of shitty levels and people giving away the Prius contest level prizes in their levels. Hilarious and sad.

If I wanted to piss off the community, I could just slap "Prius" on my unfinished level and get my 50 plays that quickly.

All I want to find in these is a controlinator modified sideways Prius, but it seems NO ONE has done that and it's the same default (AKA: shit as it's uncontrollable once you get in) Prius sideways that they give you.

SMH SCEA/Toyota/MM. :|

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The lost (demo) level is definitely one of the best. It really does a god job of somehow creating an atmosphere, lots of fun, very well done.

kevm3

Hopefully we don't see any more Media Molecule 'collaborations' with advertisers. The last thing I need is to sort through a bunch of levels laden with ads. I get enough commercials in real life.

corn_fest

I was considering trying to do something for the Prius contest just for the hell of it, but I assumed that the Prius shit would be stuck in my popit forever if I downloaded the DLC. Am I right? I assume so, as there's no way to uninstall individual DLC. If so, forget that. No way I want that stuff.

TheSeks

corn_fest said:
I was considering trying to do something for the Prius contest just for the hell of it, but I assumed that the Prius shit would be stuck in my popit forever if I downloaded the DLC. Am I right? I assume so, as there's no way to uninstall individual DLC. If so, forget that. No way I want that stuff.

It's in the community bag section of the create mode, you can delete it later. It's not locked or stuck to your profile. Same for community stuff. It's just a pain in the ass if you're getting 50+ of them in a playthrough, so I generally leave "get prize bubbles in community levels?" to auto-off.

kevm3 said:
Hopefully we don't see any more Media Molecule 'collaborations' with advertisers. The last thing I need is to sort through a bunch of levels laden with ads. I get enough commercials in real life.

If they provided easy created tools to where you only had to put in some minor work instead of ripping/taking apart level stuff and reverse engineering it, I wouldn't mind contests like this.

But as it is, you either get a fully controlled top-down one, or a sideways one that you have to heavily modify which is WAAAY beyond most creators or people that just want to build a level for the contests' ability.

All I want is a controlinatored sideway's Prius so I can make a cutscene/Top Gear spoof with it before dropping a Piano on it (much to where I know I won't win the contest, but hey I'd get plays for quality?), I've seen one in a level but it isn't a prize (SMH), so my level/creation is on hold to never be published if ever.

I'm just close to saying "screw it" and just publishing an entry over a finish level gate and creating 50 alt accounts to get plays so I can be done with the create mode trophies (well, besides 24 hours in create, but dicking around with others online will make that fast). :|

Edit: And I've gotten the "rate 50 community levels" trophy just playing shitty Prius levels I can't finish and downvoting them today. Awesome! Go MM/SCEA/Toyota! :D!</dripping sarcasm>

Stampy

I didn't follow the sales of this game all that diligently, but I was really surprised yesterday after checking out the number of unique plays for the first story level, and finding out that it does not even amount to 400.000. :/

r1chard said:
LBPCentral have an awesome set of tutorials for practical things in create mode:

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?127-LBP2-Tutorials

This includes a bunch of posts like this collection of tutorial videos:

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?46908-Lots-of-Tutorials

and this awesome thread on sackbots:

http://www.lbpcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?44239-Sackbot-A.I-and-Logic-Tutorials

Great and I have so much non-LBP work to do today... but this is tempting. :p

mclem

TheSeks said:
It's in the community bag section of the create mode, you can delete it later. It's not locked or stuck to your profile. Same for community stuff. It's just a pain in the ass if you're getting 50+ of them in a playthrough, so I generally leave "get prize bubbles in community levels?" to auto-off.

You know what'd be really handy? A "Stickers temporary" option. You own the stickers for the duration of the level, then they're removed from your collection. That avoids sticker switch issues, while still keeping your bags clean.

Edit: And I've gotten the "rate 50 community levels" trophy just playing shitty Prius levels I can't finish and downvoting them today. Awesome! Go MM/SCEA/Toyota! :D!</dripping sarcasm>

Random aside: Is rating a review for "I agree with this review" or "I think this is a good review"? They're two rather different things.

wouwie

Stampy said:
I didn't follow the sales of this game all that diligently, but I was really surprised yesterday after checking out the number of unique plays for the first story level, and finding out that it does not even amount to 400.000. :/

I've got a feeling that lbp2 is not doing well on sales. Interest in it seems low on the forums i visit. There was little hype for it too. The amount of players online is max 30000 on average.

Anyway, after catching up on the lbp1 levels (well, a fraction of them anyway), i finally started playing the lbp2 story mode yesterday and i love it. Felt a bit indifferent towards the first world though. Looked nice but was mostly a tutorial. But then i played the 2nd world and i loved it. Some neat gameplay mechanics going on in there. Also enjoyed the first level on world 3 (which is where i am now). I hope it keeps being so good.

Game has improved in many aspects. Love the cutscenes. They look great. Visually, i think the game looks gorgeous. I love the art style. Seems a lot better than lbp1 so far. User interface is greatly improved and the queue in combination with lbp.me is great. Music is nice.

Anyway, looking forward to continue the story mode.

Why in god name is they no inputs for controlinator? but they is only when you put it on a sackbot! anyone know of a good way to turn the controlinator off?

Stampy

wouwie said:
I've got a feeling that lbp2 is not doing well on sales. Interest in it seems low on the forums i visit. There was little hype for it too. The amount of players online is max 30000 on average.

Hmm, well at least I hope it will have nice legs.

But even before it came out, I was wondering if it would achieve the success of the first one. Many people bought the first game because they were interested in the concept and all the videos and talking about the game, but were hugely disapointed by some of the game's elements (sackboy control, lots of time needed to create a good level, plethora of rubish user levels...). I doubt that those people would even think about buying the second one. Now the question remains how many people were really disatisfied with LBP1 and if the sequel has that something that can attract those semi-interested people who neither hated nor loved the first one.

TheSeks

mclem said:
You know what'd be really handy? A "Stickers temporary" option. You own the stickers for the duration of the level, then they're removed from your collection. That avoids sticker switch issues, while still keeping your bags clean.

Good god, yes. But smart idea? Media Molecule? WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!

Random aside: Is rating a review for "I agree with this review" or "I think this is a good review"? They're two rather different things.

Playing levels, seeing their broken/can't be completed, returning to pod, going to "Review"/create review, :( face, submit review.

but were hugely disapointed by some of the game's elements... rubbish user levels.

I feel this wouldn't be further magnified if MM didn't make trophies/achievements for publishing levels and attempting to get hearts. Who's bright idea was that? Because I want to punch them in the face as the idea BACKFIRED to where "H4H/P4P" etc. etc. etc. happens. No one gives a shit about the create mode, most people just want to PLAY levels that people like Donkey invest time into. But if they're trophy whores like me, they have to bend over backwards for the platinum and torture themselves investing 4+ hours into a mediocre level just to get :( faces because it isn't something awesome on the level of Donkey's.

N-Dubz have created the first pop video in Little Big Planet 2! And that’s not all. They’re offering you the chance to create your own LBP2 N-Dubz video for a chance to win tickets to meet the band. Head to the LittleBigPlanet UK Channel homepage for full details, but in the mean time check out the video…

:b I hate N-Dobz

mclem said:
Guess what? There is one! I forget the exact name, but it's in the settings and it's called something like "Keep Collected Community Objects" and you can turn that function on or off. It does exactly what you ask and you don't keep any of the stuff collected within the level after you have finished. =P

TheSeks said:
I feel this wouldn't be further magnified if MM didn't make trophies/achievements for publishing levels and attempting to get hearts. Who's bright idea was that? Because I want to punch them in the face as the idea BACKFIRED to where "H4H/P4P" etc. etc. etc. happens.

LOL. Funny you ask this because my boy Danny over there at Mm revealed it all when we were doing the 50+ hour marathon a couple weeks back and they were having a little Q&A session with the viewers. Not only was he responsible for the hearts idea, he also made the "wheel of death" in the bunker in LBP1. Lots of lulz and herp derp in the room and online ensued afterwards.

No one gives a shit about the create mode, most people just want to PLAY levels that people like Donkey invest time into.

You'd be surprised at how far from the truth you are about that with the general LBP audience. ^^

But if they're trophy whores like me, they have to bend over backwards for the platinum and torture themselves investing 4+ hours into a mediocre level just to get :( faces because it isn't something awesome on the level of Donkey's.

Well, there's your problem. =P

jump_button said:
N-Dubz have created the first pop video in Little Big Planet 2! And that’s not all. They’re offering you the chance to create your own LBP2 N-Dubz video for a chance to win tickets to meet the band. Head to the LittleBigPlanet UK Channel homepage for full details, but in the mean time check out the video…

:b I hate N-Dobz

LOLOLOL, I saw Mm working on that when I visited them in December. Many heads were shaken.

Top Bottom