• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

r1chard

donkey show said:
Guess what? There is one! I forget the exact name, but it's in the settings and it's called something like "Keep Collected Community Objects" and you can turn that function on or off. It does exactly what you ask and you don't keep any of the stuff collected within the level after you have finished. =P
I've only seen a setting for collecting community objects - which if turned off means you can't play levels with custom stickers (which are needed for gameplay) in them.

mclem

donkey show said:
Guess what? There is one! I forget the exact name, but it's in the settings and it's called something like "Keep Collected Community Objects" and you can turn that function on or off. It does exactly what you ask and you don't keep any of the stuff collected within the level after you have finished. =P

I never actually used it, but I thought it stopped you collecting any (so you couldn't use them within the level, limiting sticker use). I thought that was why so many levels said "You must have community objects on for this one".

Ah well. I had thought it kept it locally until you left the level. I think I've only used sticker switches once in one of my levels, but that was before that functionality had been added. My bad. ^^

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
donkey show said:
Ah well. I had thought it kept it locally until you left the level. I think I've only used sticker switches once in one of my levels, but that was before that functionality had been added. My bad. ^^

Yeah, turning off community objects kills the community sticker trigger function as well, man.

r1chard

slider said:
My gf loved the first and is insisting I play two player with her through the story mode. It's taking forever.
My daughter's the same. Even though she gets up early and plays it by herself she doesn't go any further in the story until we can both play it through :)

There's only been a couple of bits where having multiple sackpeople playing through has caused us grief.

We only just played through the bee shoot-em-up level (whatever it's called) which was awesome fun :)

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, so I just got a PS3 and am wondering if I'm missing out on anything by just getting LBP2 instead of LBP1? What do you guys recommend? Should I get both? Thanks.

TheSeks

isoku said:
Hey guys, so I just got a PS3 and am wondering if I'm missing out on anything by just getting LBP2 instead of LBP1? What do you guys recommend? Should I get both? Thanks.

You should get both for the stickers and costume items. LBP1 stuff isn't in 2 (To the best of my knowledge) with the exception of Water from the PotC level kit.

isoku said:
Unless you're wanting to create levels, in which case you'll be missing a ton of materials, music, and items if you don't play LBP1, just get 2. You can play almost all the community levels made in the first game, although some have compatibility issues. All the DLC from 1 works in 2 as well so you still have access to that.

If you're only interested in playing, really the only thing you'll be missing out on is the Mm story levels from the first game and the costumes. If you want to create though you definitely want both.

kevm3

I don't see why MM doesn't just post some kind of unlock that unlocks all of the story mode content for creation mode for like 5 bucks. It's extremely annoying to have to scavenge the stages to get all the stuff for the creation mode. Also, that would make them a bit of extra money.

Ranger X

kevm3 said:
I don't see why MM doesn't just post some kind of unlock that unlocks all of the story mode content for creation mode for like 5 bucks. It's extremely annoying to have to scavenge the stages to get all the stuff for the creation mode. Also, that would make them a bit of extra money.

I totally agree with this.

TheSeks

kevm3 said:

Well there is a code to unlock/skip all the tutorials in LBP1. Who's to say there isn't a code like that in LBP1/2 that MM is keeping hidden due to trophy/whatever reasons?

jayb

I actually like trying to find 100% of the prize bubbles. It's part of the fun of LBP for me.

How many of you dedicated Creators include hidden or multiplayer prize bubbles in your levels?

Ranger X

jayb said:
I actually like trying to find 100% of the prize bubbles. It's part of the fun of LBP for me.

How many of you dedicated Creators include hidden or multiplayer prize bubbles in your levels?

I love making secrets areas to find but I do not use prize bubbles, I prefer to reward with normal bubbles, with score.

TheSeks

Hmm... found control/L2, R2 Prius modified cars, but can't look inside them to see how they did it. Microchip is still attached and mostly unmodified. Must be the hologram I can't seem to get to (due to the doors being glued on) that's modified. I really want to see how they did it. :/

Im going to try and make a like a steampunk mecha I have some ideas and making some tests and i will make this multiplayer if it the last thing i do

Hanmik

Decided to pop in this game again after completing Dead Space 1..

So I decided to only play Community levels (because I have completed the story mode).. And now I really see how great MM´s levels are... I found ZERO good levels during 3 hours of playing Community levels.. I even tried MM Picks, Cool levels etc.. most of it was crap, and the rest was just demo´s of levels that can be made with the new engine. Some of the stuff that can be made, and the levels that are out right now are great concepts/ideas, but are not complete. None of them are FUN to play..
I played one fun level called "Star Wars: The Force UnleaSacked" .. http://lbp.me/v/xjmdj8 .. the gameplay was not very good, but the story and this guys humor is great. But that level is something that could be made in LBP1..

So I will probably play through the storymode again, trying to ace all levels and collect all stickers.. that will be much more fun then trying outthe community levels right now.. I´m tired of danicng and singing lady gaga-sackbots and levels that are unfinished..

Hanmik said:

So I decided to only play Community levels (because I have completed the story mode).. And now I really see how great MM´s levels are... I found ZERO good levels during 3 hours of playing Community levels.. I even tried MM Picks, Cool levels etc.. most of it was crap, and the rest was just demo´s of levels that can be made with the new engine. Some of the stuff that can be made, and the levels that are out right now are great concepts/ideas, but are not complete. None of them are FUN to play..
I played one fun level called "Star Wars: The Force UnleaSacked" .. http://lbp.me/v/xjmdj8 .. the gameplay was not very good, but the story and this guys humor is great. But that level is something that could be made in LBP1..

So I will probably play through the storymode again, trying to ace all levels and collect all stickers.. that will be much more fun then trying outthe community levels right now.. I´m tired of danicng and singing lady gaga-sackbots and levels that are unfinished..

well it take time to make big level iv only been doing little level as i make my big one Mm had alot long to make level then us so just wait for the community.

Hanmik

jump_button said:
well it take time to make big level iv only been doing little level as i make my big one

I have you hearted, and I love your levels, most of them ;o) I know it takes some time to make a big decent level, but most of the crap that is out in LBP2 is annoying. It´s like 7 years old decide to invade LBP to and paint some levels with crayons..

Ranger X

Hanmik said:

The game does not filter the crap for you. You have to know where to look. THERE ARE tons of great community levels and many even surpassing Media Molecule efforts. I just wish it was easier to find them in the sea of crappy shit people are pulling off. Let me put you a trail anyways...

You might want to have a look at our Community Levels thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419479

Read my OP carefully, there's a section about "LBP1 greatest levels" and I explain the easiest way to find great levels. This goes for LBP1 levels but also for LBP2 levels.

Do no EVER rely on the "cool level pages" again in order to find good stuff. There are people searching for the good stuff for you. Use them. ;)

faust666

TheSeks said:
Hmm... found control/L2, R2 Prius modified cars, but can't look inside them to see how they did it. Microchip is still attached and mostly unmodified. Must be the hologram I can't seem to get to (due to the doors being glued on) that's modified. I really want to see how they did it. :/

Skipped the tutorial on using L2 to turn layers invisible so you can see behind them didn't you? :p

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
After 2 scrapped ideas (or levels mid-progress) I've finally found my muse and am now working on my follow-up level. Hopefully it'll be done by the weekend. :)

Hanmik said:

Well, I find overly long and overly complex levels to be quite boring. I try to make levels with the concept "short platformer with a nice backdrop and a few clever jumps." While I don't think it'll garner any following or any MM Pick I do hope that any levels I make can be enjoyable for those who play.

Been putting my gf through alot of playtesting of my various unfinished levels to make sure the challanges I put up can be completed with dedication. She's not very good at the game so it makes it even more important to keep the visual information highlighted so it's clear what path to take, etc.

mr_boo

TelemachusD said:
Unless you're wanting to create levels, in which case you'll be missing a ton of materials, music, and items if you don't play LBP1, just get 2. You can play almost all the community levels made in the first game, although some have compatibility issues. All the DLC from 1 works in 2 as well so you still have access to that.

If you're only interested in playing, really the only thing you'll be missing out on is the Mm story levels from the first game and the costumes. If you want to create though you definitely want both.
Here's my problem - I had no intention of getting LBP1, so I started with LBP2 and I'm more than 1/2 done with story mode. Now I'm wishing I started with LBP1...there is no way of importing LBP1 data mid-stream a game is there (like a merge function)? In other words, I will lose all my current LBP2 data (not counting trophies).

Ranger X

mr_boo said:
Here's my problem - I had no intention of getting LBP1, so I started with LBP2 and I'm more than 1/2 done with story mode. Now I'm wishing I started with LBP1...there is no way of importing LBP1 data mid-stream a game is there (like a merge function)? In other words, I will lose all my current LBP2 data (not counting trophies).

You can import anytime. It DOES merge no problem.

Speevy

Banned
I've never seen a Lady Gaga level, but there are plenty of well-formed, polished levels on the front page of MM picks.

kinoki said:
Well, I find overly long and overly complex levels to be quite boring.
I've somewhat fallen into this mindset as well and my level creation recently has followed that train of thought. My goals in LBP2 so far have been aside from providing a very unique gameplay experience from the norm, I want to provide a robust experience within a 10 minute time span at the most and provide a level of replayability, either through a ranking system or something unlocked on a multiple playthrough. Granted as I say this, I'm probably going to have to create a sub-level for a boss character I'm working on due the logical complexities of everything in the base level, but ultimately it's going to be a rather easy level to jump into when its all said and done.

But I think that's the beauty of LBP2. Sure there's gonna be a lot of crap out there as with any user generated content, but the gems will eventually and definitely be varied and multifaceted.

Ferrio

Banned
I have such a great idea for a game/level, but I have NO motivation. After seeing my one level come to a halt for plays, I figure "why bother?". Especially since this level I'm thinking of would require a lot more goofy logic.

TheSeks

faust said:
Skipped the tutorial on using L2 to turn layers invisible so you can see behind them didn't you? :p

In one ear and out the other it seems for me.

Removed the door, saw what they did. It's a simple process of connecting the controlinator (that's included in the Prius) to the wheels and some modification of the board. It's fucking stupid MM/SCEA/Toyota/whoever didn't provide that modification as a prize in addition to their default non-stopping horizontal car. :|

Now I need to figure out how to get cameras to work with Sackbots for Jeremy Sackston's Prius review that ends with a Piano drop.

TheSeks

Okay, new PITA: James MaSack-y can't get in the driver seat to drive the car in recording. Set to controlinator, he'll get in the back three controlinator seats, which has no car control.

Annoying. *presses right on the d-pad three times and holds R2 and shakes right-stick angerly*

I think I'm done bothering with this shit. Stupid create mode has to be a PITA and not let you do what you want easy. :|

donkey show said:
I've somewhat fallen into this mindset as well and my level creation recently has followed that train of thought. My goals in LBP2 so far have been aside from providing a very unique gameplay experience from the norm, I want to provide a robust experience within a 10 minute time span at the most and provide a level of replayability, either through a ranking system or something unlocked on a multiple playthrough. Granted as I say this, I'm probably going to have to create a sub-level for a boss character I'm working on due the logical complexities of everything in the base level, but ultimately it's going to be a rather easy level to jump into when its all said and done.

But I think that's the beauty of LBP2. Sure there's gonna be a lot of crap out there as with any user generated content, but the gems will eventually and definitely be varied and multifaceted.

you not going to like my new sky town then ^^; im making a world hub that i hope will take all night to play you can go back anytime, I think just locking levels and give keys at end of levels best way.

But Im not sure if it will just be the biggest waste of time

jump_button said:
you not going to like my new sky town then ^^; im making a world hub that i hope will take all night to play you can go back anytime, I think just locking levels and give keys at end of levels best way.

But Im not sure if it will just be the biggest waste of time
Haha, it's all good mang. Just do what you want to do. =)

dont worry I will be all the boring slow levels lol

only thing that get me is when someone say my art style for a level nothing I take that personally :b

eg
Sorry to be a killjoy here but I don't really see the ingenious aesthetic that a few of you are seeing. I think the level looks nice, particularly the background, but other than that the materials were almost a given (the only two blocky tile textures), and the cubism art just takes several places and cuts of the square tool through and through. Just throwin' that out there \(`- ` )/

and my replay was

Well i cant say for others but I can tell you what i was going for?

well the sky I picked colours that clash, that colours that are directly opposite each other on the color wheel. and its a works as a twist/fliping on what you see most of the time to go with the twisting/fliping gameplay you dont see blue clouds on orange skys.

I use two blocky materials but I use stone materials to show the player what was ground and couldnt be walked on and green to show what the player should/could walk on.

Meh. I was disappointed with LBP2. It didn't suck . . . but it wasn't great either.

And I really hated that final final boss level. Stand in the corner for 3 minutes & jump the laser blasts. Then try to jump on the head using the pie thrown in. Swear if you don't quite make the jump. Repeat. Repeat. Ugh.

Maybe that final boss tainted it.

I loved those bounce pads though and the grapple hook.

Meohsix

speculawyer said:
And I really hated that final final boss level. Stand in the corner for 3 minutes & jump the laser blasts. Then try to jump on the head using the pie thrown in. Swear if you don't quite make the jump. Repeat. Repeat. Ugh.

Maybe that final boss tainted it.

o_O ummm.... you don't jump on the head. you catch the cakes and throw them at the head.

TheSeks

Is there really no way to control/record a controlinator Sackbot? :|

TheSeks

donkey show said:
Do you mean just the Sackbot moving back and forth in the controlinator? Cuz it's totally possible.

Yeah, but can you record yourself as the Sackbot on it? EG: Can I start outside the car, get in the controlinator and move the car forward. Then after that have the record stop. I'm thinking using a bot as an "actor" to move the car through camera angles would work, but with the PITA problem I'm having getting the damn bot to even attempt to get in the front seat (which it isn't doing) I'm not sure if it's possible to do or not. :/

TheSeks said:
Yeah, but can you record yourself as the Sackbot on it? EG: Can I start outside the car, get in the controlinator and move the car forward. Then after that have the record stop. I'm thinking using a bot as an "actor" to move the car through camera angles would work, but with the PITA problem I'm having getting the damn bot to even attempt to get in the front seat (which it isn't doing) I'm not sure if it's possible to do or not. :/
When you say front seat, do you mean it jumping into the controlinator?

George said:
o_O ummm.... you don't jump on the head. you catch the cakes and throw them at the head.
Huh. I tried that but they just splatted on the bubbles and didn't pop them. Perhaps I didn't hit them exactly right?

Madman

speculawyer said:
Huh. I tried that but they just splatted on the bubbles and didn't pop them. Perhaps I didn't hit them exactly right?
Yeah, it was a bit tricky but once you get used to it you will probably not miss. I only missed one throw when I beat the boss. It must have been a huge pain trying to jump up on the brains.

Overall I loved LBP2 and thought the final boss was great. Thought the story levels were much better than 1. The basketball mini game and others are excellent.

speculawyer said:
Yeah, I had that problem too until someone in here suggested standing in the corner while you throw the cake.

TheSeks

donkey show said:
When you say front seat, do you mean it jumping into the controlinator?

Yeah, basically: I want the Sackbot to "hit it's marks" and for that I want to guarantee it through the recording function. I mean, is that possible? The major problem I have right now is that I can't put the Sackbot in the front/driver seat during recording (or without recording) so I'm curious if it's possible to do. I mean I've seen the bots flying the bees in story mode in cutscenes, so I know something of the form is possible... but... :/

Cartman86

Banned
I fucking hate my PS3 (or my network who the hell knows) so much. Takes 5-6 attempts to connect to PSN, and certain games (LBP) just won't load any online stuff. 360 works perfect. Opening up all ports on PS3 still doesn't help. I want to play some levels!!!

Ranger X

Cartman86 said:
I fucking hate my PS3 (or my network who the hell knows) so much. Takes 5-6 attempts to connect to PSN, and certain games (LBP) just won't load any online stuff. 360 works perfect. Opening up all ports on PS3 still doesn't help. I want to play some levels!!!

You should do a network connection test and see wich NAT Type your connection is.
For LBP to work properly you need to be NAT Type 2 or 1

Top Bottom