• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

*sighs* My PS3 been acting up (red light flashing) not booting up and today I could get it to start at all so I take out my 300GB and slip in my old 40GB back in :/ working ok so far. Good thing I back up my save not too long ago, but still lost alot of LBP2 that i have to remake now

jump_button said:
*sighs* My PS3 been acting up (red light flashing) not booting up and today I could get it to start at all so I take out my 300GB and slip in my old 40GB back in :/ working ok so far. Good thing I back up my save not too long ago, but still lost alot of LBP2 that i have to remake now

That sucks man!

Sony should hurry the fuck up with their cloud-saving service.

from Mm site

We are very proud to present to you the preview trailer for Hansel & Gretelbot, a very special community project based loosely on an old fairy tale, and that’s nearly ready for you to play!

hanselblogimage_thumb.jpg

Hansel & Gretelbot is the creation of 12 community members, names you may well recognise: Wexfordian, Comphermc, Morgana25, rtm223, Hilightnotes, xkappax, Catiers, GruntosUK, CENTURION24, Jaeyden, Cuzfeeshe and steve_big_guns.
A few months ago the Community Molecule set them a challenge - could they create a full game experience? Their own complete LBP Theme, using the new LBP2 tools to develop all original story, mini-games, bosses, cutscenes, music, and voices.
The team was gathered, designs were drawn up, themes were picked and building began, now several months later they are very nearly ready to launch their project for you to play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOv73DkOdY8&feature=player_embedded

Once upon a time, in a little cottage on the edge of the Dark Western woods, lived a humble Woodsman, his wife, their son Hansel and robotic daughter Gretelbot. One sad day, the Woodsman’s wife was taken ill, and passed away not too long afterwards. Time passed, but eventually the Woodsman became stricken by loneliness, and he remarried.
The Woodsman’s new wife was a wicked woman, who hated her new step children. They were the reason, so she said, that they had to live in such poverty. They would eat them out of house and home, the Woodsman must get rid of them! His will weakened by his heartbreak, the Woodsman relented, and led Hansel and Gretelbot into the Dark Western Woods, leaving them to fend for themselves, with no idea how to get home…

Hansel & Gretelbot should be out later this month, keep your eyes peeled for more info!

this should be somthing take it from me

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Thrakier said:
Wow. Is it free?

It's a community project, so I assume so.

I have increasingly begun to wonder though about whether people should be expected to make stuff like this, gratis. With a lower level toolset they could making and selling their own indie games. The question crossed my mind with LBP but it's been more on my mind since 2 arrived. I've wondered if maybe a tipping system could be a good idea or not, but I think there'd be some resistance to that too. Dunno.

gofreak said:

I have increasingly begun to wonder though about whether people should be expected to make stuff like this, gratis. With a lower level toolset they could making and selling their own indie games. The question crossed my mind with LBP but it's been more on my mind since 2 arrived. I've wondered if maybe a tipping system could be a good idea or not, but I think there'd be some resistance to that too. Dunno.

I think it would be great if there were 'selected' (by MM) 'Top-creators' who have proven themselves to be amazing. They could have some extended tools both in-game and within LPB.me (embedding videos for instance) for promotion and maybe even a 'Donate' button (linked with their PayPal-accounts).

Ranger X

Wow this is incredible. And those creators REALLY are in the top creators out there.

So far it is apparent that Media Molecule is very close to the community and putting its members "into the game". I think this is really cool. (And I am drop dead jealous of those creators).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jump_button said:
Im not sure but i think it would be but then Mm asked them to make it and are handling it

Perhaps it's being commissioned then.

That could actually be a neat way to filter some 'reward' back to top creators.

Commission some to make commercial add-ons, sell them, use the money to sponsor more etc.

Slermy

Anyone have any tips for placing the controlinator? I'm trying to get one to "snap" to the top of a flat surface that is one "plane" deep. I'm trying to setup a vehicle that moves left and right (like the Prius). I've thought about taking that Prius and chopping it up with the exception of the geometry that the controlinator is stuck to, but that seems like a roundabout way of doing things.

wouwie

gofreak said:

I've been wondering the same and i think it's a very interesting issue. I read somewhere in an interview that MM hopes that people will be able to make games that rival commercial products (on an indie sort of level) in the future. I'm not sure if the tools are there yet in lbp2 but which each new lbp game, that idea could and probably will become closer and closer to reality. And that is potentially awesome. If the community makes levels that rival MM levels (in scope, length, quality and gameplay), i would gladly pay for them.

Also, very neat idea to make the Hansel & Gretelbot levels. This might actually be the start of what i talked about above. And it's cool to see MM helping out on it.

gofreak said:
Perhaps it's being commissioned then.

That could actually be a neat way to filter some 'reward' back to top creators.

Commission some to make commercial add-ons, sell them, use the money to sponsor more etc.

You'd be surprised at how much its happening lately. I've seen some of the work these guys have put in for the Hansel and Gretelbot project and it's quality considering the logistics behind getting creators who are hundreds to thousands of miles apart while attempting to maintain cohesion throughout the levels. Even that N-Dubz music video had user creator help build that as well. The tools in LBP2 make it so much easier to do a project such as this.

And like jump said, him and I were compensated through the GOTY obviously and I had received that educational grant for that educational module I started on last year. There's opportunity there in the future for more of that in the near future and Mm and Sony see it, as evidenced by LittleBigPrius, which was made by comphermc.

I just beat LBP2's story mode. Really fun level design with the new powerups and while the game is easy for veteran gamers, the level design remained well designed and not dumbed down at all.

I'm thinking of going through LBP1's story to get all of the costume options. Is it as short as LBP2's story?

I managed to make an awesome Red Mage costume. I am thinking of seeing if I can make a White Mage next.

Mommy, wow, Hanzel & Gretelbot looks really cool. That'll definitely add a ton of value to the game for me.

see5harp

Jumped back in last night and still finding it incredibly frustrating that people just ignore requests to join by default. Is MP working for everyone yet? It seems like everyone who bought the game on my list have now moved on.

see5harp said:
Jumped back in last night and still finding it incredibly frustrating that people just ignore requests to join by default. Is MP working for everyone yet? It seems like everyone who bought the game on my list have now moved on.
I haven't had issues with MP as of yet. Been playing games and doing create mode with some peeps online.

Ranger X

see5harp said:

I for one am blocking the request by the little option. Thing is, it's rare I am there for multiplayer and since it "fully integrated" it means you receive alot of requests while you're doing a ton of other things. Lastly, I also don't like the game when it's more than 2 players so most of the people I did goin were with some other people already and the experience almost always end up in a chaotic mess (that I can't find funny, to the contrary of most people it seems)

netguy503

Ranger X said:
I for one am blocking the request by the little option. Thing is, it's rare I am there for multiplayer and since it "fully integrated" it means you receive alot of requests while you're doing a ton of other things. Lastly, I also don't like the game when it's more than 2 players so most of the people I did goin were with some other people already and the experience almost always end up in a chaotic mess (that I can't find funny, to the contrary of most people it seems)

Aw, is someone missing a funny bone? Who crapped in your salad? ;)

Ranger X

netguy503 said:
Aw, is someone missing a funny bone? Who crapped in your salad? ;)

lol Nobody. I am more of single player type in ANY game and I never buy multiplayer-only games. It's just how I enjoy gaming, I have nothing against people. ;)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ranger X said:
lol Nobody. I am more of single player type in ANY game and I never buy multiplayer-only games. It's just how I enjoy gaming, I have nothing against people. ;)

I'm pretty much the same, except it can be a blast in co-op, even with strangers. The problem is that you often end up with obnoxious people on mics or idiots who think it's funny to repeatedly slap another Sackboy, so I tend to turn off the option as well. I like having peace and quiet as well as complete control of the game, so I roll solo unless I'm in the mood for co-op.

Slermy said:
Anyone have any tips for placing the controlinator? I'm trying to get one to "snap" to the top of a flat surface that is one "plane" deep. I'm trying to setup a vehicle that moves left and right (like the Prius). I've thought about taking that Prius and chopping it up with the exception of the geometry that the controlinator is stuck to, but that seems like a roundabout way of doing things.
When making top down stuff with the controlinator, as a general rule of thumb I usually build with the "face" pointing downward since the controlinator is naturally faced in that direction. Also, any usage of an advanced rotator or joystick rotator should have its point facing downward when placing it on the controlinator's microchip to get the properly facing the right way.

Speevy

Banned
Here's a question, and think about it carefully before you shoot an answer out there.

LBP's marketing suggests that levels are only limited by the imagination of their creators.

I say you have to be pretty damn smart to make the best level in this game.

Which is it, imagination or intelligence that drives the very best of all levels? (and you can't say both)

Let me also add that I feel someone who has absolutely mastered the LBP2 tools and even pioneered techniques (as the best creators have) could easily find themselves at home in other game development environments, and that assumption has been right so far.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Speevy said:
Which is it, imagination or intelligence that drives the very best of all levels? (and you can't say both)

You gotta say both, though!

It takes intelligence to properly execute the idea created by your imagination.

Of course, commitment and patience also factor in, and that's where I fail as a creator. I can never see a level through to the end.

see5harp

Well of course not. I'm saying that the damn game doesn't work when I invite certain players on my friend's list into my game. Other players it works fine but in some cases there is serious lag. I'm saying MM shipped the game broken (less broken than the first game) which has lead to almost a zero percent chance you'll ever get into a game with a random. The only reason I need coop partners is because I want to collect all of the items, some of which are impossible to get unless you have 4 players.

Speevy said:
Here's a question, and think about it carefully before you shoot an answer out there.

LBP's marketing suggests that levels are only limited by the imagination of their creators.

Let me also add that I feel someone who has absolutely mastered the LBP2 tools and even pioneered techniques (as the best creators have) could easily find themselves at home in other game development environments, and that assumption has been right so far.

well if you not imagination or intelligence then you not going to have ideas you cant do? and some of the best ideas are simple ones.

only thing that stop me from doing what I want is time :/ and YLOD

Speevy

Banned
Okay, let me put it another way.

Let's say you were the most boring, uncreative person on the planet.

However, you understand the workings of the LBP tools like they were a part of you from birth.

So you create a level which showcases logic doing what it was designed to do. It's not artistically or even conceptually unique, but every aspect of it is technically perfect.

Gameplay mechanics are solid, machinery works as it should, cameras focus on the right things at the right moments, a varied assortment of LBP's tools are on display, and the player gets through that level quickly and painlessly. It's an efficient, if uninspired work.

The most imaginative, creative person on the planet cannot have a severe deficiency in understanding the workings of the game and still create a better level than the first guy, can he/she?

Speevy said:

Well, this is assuming you're basing it off of a single creator and their ability to harness everything possible to create whatever they're thinking about. I think one of the things that a lot of people forget to realize is that the player does not have to be the all encompassing creator that does everything. That's why Mm's promoting that Hansel & Gretel "game" as it is a conglomeration of creators with different ranges of expertises with the game's tools/design abilities.

And I don't think you have to be extremely smart to create a great, if not one of the best levels out there. You don't need gobs and webs of logic to make something that is appreciated by all. Like jump said, sometimes simplicity works wonders, but it takes ingenuity to make it work.

Speevy said:
Okay, let me put it another way.

Let's say you were the most boring, uncreative person on the planet.

However, you understand the workings of the LBP tools like they were a part of you from birth.

So you create a level which showcases logic doing what it was designed to do. It's not artistically or even conceptually unique, but every aspect of it is technically perfect.

Gameplay mechanics are solid, machinery works as it should, cameras focus on the right things at the right moments, a varied assortment of LBP's tools are on display, and the player gets through that level quickly and painlessly. It's an efficient, if uninspired work.

The most imaginative, creative person on the planet cannot have a severe deficiency in understanding the workings of the game and still create a better level than the first guy, can he/she?

well im useless at logic, but it like anything more you do more you know how to do :/ Im sure they not alot that knew how to ride a bike first time on one

Speevy said:
Okay, well I stand corrected.

If anyone knows about creators, it's you guys.
It's all good man. It's completely understandable at how daunting creating a level may be when you're trying to get it from a concept phase to be actually playable, let alone become a level that can be considered good, if not great. You're gonna have your hits and misses as everyone has, but I think the community in general has been pretty helpful in providing the necessary knowledge to at least create a competent level.

And to be honest, I do get a little jelly of some creators and their ability to make cohesive worlds with amazing turnaround time. The gift of time is something I really haven't had lately because of work and traveling to conferences all over the place, now being in a project management certification course, working on the educational grant, on top of living the married life, lol. I'm glad the tools in LBP2 make it so much faster to put stuff out and that my wife is a gamer as well. ^^

mclem

I notice that bits of Hansel & Gretelbot appear in the attract mode video on LBP2; the bee flight sequence is there, and I suspect that the scene of two sackbots in bed (steady!) is from it too, given the look of the female one.

Edit: Since jump_button is around: I'm coming up to Robot Town 2 in my mass playthrough of the Community Spotlights. Does the first one still exist, or has it vanished off the face of the Internet?

mclem said:
I notice that bits of Hansel & Gretelbot appear in the attract mode video on LBP2; the bee flight sequence is there, and I suspect that the scene of two sackbots in bed (steady!) is from it too, given the look of the female one.

Edit: Since jump_button is around: I'm coming up to Robot Town 2 in my mass playthrough of the Community Spotlights. Does the first one still exist, or has it vanished off the face of the Internet?

well Robot town 1 was one of my first level way back but i did feel that i had to take it down it did get a Mm pick (for the art style) you can see it here

Slermy

donkey show said:
When making top down stuff with the controlinator, as a general rule of thumb I usually build with the "face" pointing downward since the controlinator is naturally faced in that direction. Also, any usage of an advanced rotator or joystick rotator should have its point facing downward when placing it on the controlinator's microchip to get the properly facing the right way.

Ah, thanks, I'll try that!

kevm3

I hope they leave monetization out of the game and leave things up to the passion of the community to share. It will be nothing but huge problems from people complaining about why they aren't selected as a 'top creator' with the ability to get paid, to the flood of 'demo' levels that will start flooding the game and a 'pay $.99 for the full version' signs that will pop up in them if everyone is allowed to create. If this monetization starts becoming a trend, I'm selling the game. I didn't pay $60 for MM to take the top creators and set them behind a velvet rope and make me pay more. What made the game was people openly sharing for their love of gaming.

Ranger X

kevm3 said:
I hope they leave monetization out of the game and leave things up to the passion of the community to share. It will be nothing but huge problems from people complaining about why they aren't selected as a 'top creator' with the ability to get paid, to the flood of 'demo' levels that will start flooding the game and a 'pay $.99 for the full version' signs that will pop up in them if everyone is allowed to create. If this monetization starts becoming a trend, I'm selling the game. I didn't pay $60 for MM to take the top creators and set them behind a velvet rope and make me pay more. What made the game was people openly sharing for their love of gaming.

Agreed. Money would ruin LBP.

kevm3 said:
The only time you'd see a monetization of user levels would be another GOTY type situation.

mclem

donkey show said:
The only time you'd see a monetization of user levels would be another GOTY type situation.

I'm mildly surprised they didn't take the GOTY levels and bundle them into a paid DLC. Isn't the GOTY version the only way to play those specific levels?

mclem said:
I'm mildly surprised they didn't take the GOTY levels and bundle them into a paid DLC. Isn't the GOTY version the only way to play those specific levels?

I dont really want it XD my level was out of date weeks later when water come out, and I cant really see it it just for GOTY and will stop that way

jump_button said:
I dont really want it XD my level was out of date weeks later when water come out, and I cant really see it it just for GOTY and will stop that way
LOL, I know how you feel. In comparison to what we can do now in LBP2, I'd rather remake the Steampunk Samurai then have them come back through DLC. But I'd like to see some of that change come to us if they were to bring them back through that, heh.

Ranger X

BradleyUK said:
I have a problem Neogaf!

When I boot up the game I freeze up at "Inportant information" screen. :(

how do you fix?

From your other thread...

RangerX said:
Wierd, I've never witness this nor heard about such bug. But I would try this:

Erase any LBP2 data you have (both in save data and game data folder) and try to start the game while being offline.

Top Bottom