• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

Teknoman

Might as well post this here too:

bf83c2f5b3a198a951209831aaebc0f542c394f0.jpg

Any pointers on how to get a neon light to slowly pulsate?

Also since the bar has really been raised...I need to figure out how to make decent title cards.

Slermy

This is just a guess and I haven't tried anything like that, but a battery, sequencer, and setting the light to fade between that color twice but with different brightness settings?

domlolz

Banned
I hardly messed with create in lbp and now I am in lbp 2 I have a lot of catching up to do. What is the best way to make a (side-on) car that's able to reverse aswell?

Anybody else feel that the Where In The World Is Avalon Centrifuge level was the hardest to ace? Bloody 'eck.

Teknoman

Slermy said:
This is just a guess and I haven't tried anything like that, but a battery, sequencer, and setting the light to fade between that color twice but with different brightness settings?

I'll give it a shot. Oh and i've got to say I really like the microchip features. Creating an enemy sackbot with different speech settings and situational attacks is so easy now.

satriales

Is there anyway to disable jump for a player-controlled sackbot?

I'm making a 2D platformer and have it setup so that the player is a sackbot with higher jump, sprint ability, and a few other moves. I just want to make it so that when the player sprints (presses square) they can't jump at the same time.

satriales said:

I'm making a 2D platformer and have it setup so that the player is a sackbot with higher jump, sprint ability, and a few other moves. I just want to make it so that when the player sprints (presses square) they can't jump at the same time.

Put something that tune off in the X input on the sack controlled when you dont want it to jump

satriales

jump_button said:
Put something that tune off in the X input on the sack controlled when you dont want it to jump
Thanks, I didn't even realise the controllinator buttons had inputs, but I still can't quite get it working properly.

It seems to work the opposite to how you describe. If the wire connected to sackbots X input is 'on' then the X button is disabled, and if the wire is 'off' then the X button is enabled. This would be ok but it seems everytime the wire switches to 'on' it presses X once before it disables it, which causes the player to jump everytime they want to sprint.

I probably haven't explained it very well but to simplify things and test it I created a new sackbot and just linked the square button of the player directly to the x button of the sackbot and still the same thing occurs: if you hold square the sackbot jumps once and then after that jump is disabled.

I tried it with a not gate too but that has the opposite effect of what I am trying.

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong, this is a pic of the simple version I made:
6655903d585d7efaf47445831522f43b880fc63c.jpg

satriales said:
Thanks, I didn't even realise the controllinator buttons had inputs, but I still can't quite get it working properly.

It seems to work the opposite to how you describe. If the wire connected to sackbots X input is 'on' then the X button is disabled, and if the wire is 'off' then the X button is enabled. This would be ok but it seems everytime the wire switches to 'on' it presses X once before it disables it, which causes the player to jump everytime they want to sprint.

I probably haven't explained it very well but to simplify things and test it I created a new sackbot and just linked the square button of the player directly to the x button of the sackbot and still the same thing occurs: if you hold square the sackbot jumps once and then after that jump is disabled.

I tried it with a not gate too but that has the opposite effect of what I am trying.

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong, this is a pic of the simple version I made:
http://i5.lbp.me/img/ft/6655903d585d7efaf47445831522f43b880fc63c.jpg[/QUOTE]

well[B] tweak the sackbot [/B]and dont let him jump lol

and use movers to make him jump

fernoca

Sorry for asking this, but what's the name of the second stage of the second world (Battysphere-cakes stage). Starts slowly, then a female choir, then more electronic....really cool song. :)

fernoca said:
Sorry for asking this, but what's the name of the second stage of the second world (Battysphere-cakes stage). Starts slowly, then a female choir, then more electronic....really cool song. :)
It's called "Victoria's Lab." It's my favorite intmusic in the game.

I suppose this has already been asked a few times, but...

Is this game worth picking up even if you're not really into spending hours creating levels? I wasn't too impressed with the first LBP, mostly because of the floaty controls, which I understand have not changed in 2. That said, I don't actually own LBP, I only played it a few times at my friend's place...so I kinda want to try again at my own pace, I'm just worried that the "game" part of LBP2 isn't as substantial as the "make stuff" part, which I'm not very interested in.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MadraptorMan said:
I suppose this has already been asked a few times, but...

Is this game worth picking up even if you're not really into spending hours creating levels? I wasn't too impressed with the first LBP, mostly because of the floaty controls, which I understand have not changed in 2. That said, I don't actually own LBP, I only played it a few times at my friend's place...so I kinda want to try again at my own pace, I'm just worried that the "game" part of LBP2 isn't as substantial as the "make stuff" part, which I'm not very interested in.
I'm the same way and I've loved the time I've put into LBP2. The Story levels are fantastic and the user created stuff is generally quite good. Lots to play even if you aren't into creating.

Edgeward

Just finished the story mode with 2 other gaffers. Fantastic levels, just super cool all the way through. I beat the last boss and I really had no idea how we did it. lol

I do wish the vehicle/shmup stages had better differentiation between players, I lost my place a couple of times and it ended up costing me a life. Same kinda applies to the darker set levels but not as bad.

Jeels

I've got to say, just completed the first level in Avalonia and I can't wait to see what people do with machines (and the rest of this world's levels as well!) Game just got awesome. :D

So I'm thinking about selling the first game since I now own this. What happens if I want to buy the DLC that was for the first game, will I still unlock the trophies if I play them in LBP2?

DJ Crimson said:
So I'm thinking about selling the first game since I now own this. What happens if I want to buy the DLC that was for the first game, will I still unlock the trophies if I play them in LBP2?
I don't know about the trophies, tbh. That's actually a really good question. Why don't you buy the DLC on your LBP1 file and get the trophies that way if you're worried?

Ranger X

DJ Crimson said:

You will probably get the trophies if you have LBP1 data installed (therefore the trophy installed) and they will pop in your LBP1 trophies. Sell you game but don't erase the game data and you should be fine.

However, I don't remember if any DLC had trophies.

Got the game--how do I join in the GAFun? My PSN name is Schaberu, is that all I need to say? Is there some kind of PSN community chat I need to join?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DJ Crimson said:

LBP1 trophy data needs LBP1 discs. This should be obvious due to the fact the MGS/PotC trophy data is not "extra/DLC" trophy file listings in the LBP2 trophy listing.

So, no, you won't if you sell the disc.

Is this game worth picking up even if you're not really into spending hours creating levels?

Yes...

I wasn't too impressed with the first LBP, mostly because of the floaty controls, which I understand have not changed in 2.

...Then no. Because if you don't like LBP1 mechanics, you probably won't like them here as they're mostly unchanged.

satriales said:

Assuming that you're okay with a normal jump, you'll want to do something like this:

AND chip
inputs:
(X output)
(NOT square output)
outputs:
X input on the sackbot

Ranger X

SolidEyeSystem said:
The touching story in it was a nice surprise, best part of the level I think.

I pimped it in the Community Levels Thread actually. I hope more people will be playing this. It's honestly the first time I see a platforming level in LBP2 made BETTER because there's a little story in it. Nice work from the guy there. And his "no text" style is exactly what I wanted to witness.

I'm just gonna make a basic platforming level, like you would see in LBP1, but I'm gonna try to make every object custom drawn even if the level itself is pretty generic. It took me several tries just to figure out a way to do this.

Speevy

Banned
KittenMaster said:
I'm just gonna make a basic platforming level, like you would see in LBP1, but I'm gonna try to make every object custom drawn even if the level itself is pretty generic. It took me several tries just to figure out a way to do this.

All the best levels are custom-drawn. Just make it personal, and no one can say you copied it.

Speevy

Banned
Question for those who might actually know this:

Those levels that recreate an actual game down to the last detail, like Donkey Kong, Zelda, etc.

What would the thermometer usage be for such a game? For example, would it be feasible to make Super Mario Brothers 1-1, then portal to Super Mario Brothers 1-2, and so on?

Keep in mind I'm not talking about homages, but the actual "OH MY GOD HOW DID THEY DO THAT." levels in which you control a custom sprite.

Apparently logic heavy levels don't actually take up that much space from what I hear. From what I found out from working with creating graphical stuff, it is mainly based on polygon count, how difficult it is to render the material, how many stickers are in place, how much stuff is placed, etc.
All the best levels are custom-drawn. Just make it personal, and no one can say you copied it.
I don't agree that doing this will automatically make my level one of the best, but that is pretty much the idea. I actually feel dirty getting community objects in community levels even though I know I'll never use them (except for that Little Big Pet level I played, which gives me a pet meant for me to play with.)

Ranger X

Speevy said:

Those levels that recreate an actual game down to the last detail, like Donkey Kong, Zelda, etc.

What would the thermometer usage be for such a game? For example, would it be feasible to make Super Mario Brothers 1-1, then portal to Super Mario Brothers 1-2, and so on?

Keep in mind I'm not talking about homages, but the actual "OH MY GOD HOW DID THEY DO THAT." levels in which you control a custom sprite.

Hard to tell but I would think a SMB1 level would fit one LBP2 level's available memory.

Meohsix

anyone want to hop online and help me with the two 4x prize stages?
i have two controllers if that helps any

EDIT: PSN: MaxtorGeo
send me a message if you want to help

Speevy said:

the sprite are done with holographic material you off all the one you not showing and turn on the one you want to show

Donkey Kong i dont think would be less then 10% not sure about the others

7d010356aedb8fe3e822ac028baecd771f197de8.jpg

I made onbe in the beta making a new one but still not got a good idea for it

Speevy said:

In all honesty, you could probably put world 1 into one level.

satriales

Lance Bone Path said:
Assuming that you're okay with a normal jump, you'll want to do something like this:

AND chip
inputs:
(X output)
(NOT square output)
outputs:
X input on the sackbot
Thanks but I already tried that and still didn't work right.

I went with a different approach in the end and made it so that while the player presses square to sprint, global gravity is increased temporarily. So they can still jump but not any further than a normal jump.

DodgerSan

(Bow to the collective genius as I enter the thread...)

Hey guys, super noob question:

I'm making a winch with a sponge ball on the end, grab to activate. That's fine. My question is how can I make the winch work only when being grabbed, and return to it's start if let go of?

Cheers in advance.

DodgerSan said:
(Bow to the collective genius as I enter the thread...)

Hey guys, super noob question:

I'm making a winch with a sponge ball on the end, grab to activate. That's fine. My question is how can I make the winch work only when being grabbed, and return to it's start if let go of?

Cheers in advance.

You only want the winch to go in one direction when you hold it? Then go into the winch options, go down to motion, and then make the input action (third choice) directional.

And of course, make sure you connect the grab switch to the winch. ^^

Xenon

Question, what is the preferred method of making material static? I hated tacking on dark matter to everything. Is it just putting a anti-gravity tweaker? Having to go in and edit every time is annoying.

Ranger X

Xenon said:
Question, what is the preferred method of making material static? I hated tacking on dark matter to everything. Is it just putting a anti-gravity tweaker? Having to go in and edit every time is annoying.

It's either of your 2 solutions. If you're annoyed by both, you're in trouble! ;)
Besides, it saves memory to make as much stuff as possible glued to dark matter. Because this way the game doesn't treat it as a "lose object".

Top Bottom