• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

I wish bolts were indestructible, or at least have a toggle for it. I'm making a UFO with retractable magnetic arm but doing certain things with it makes the joints in the arm break. I don't know why they let things break due to stress in the first place.

Confidence Man said:
I wish bolts were indestructible, or at least have a toggle for it. I'm making a UFO with retractable magnetic arm but doing certain things with it makes the joints in the arm break. I don't know why they let things break due to stress in the first place.
Are you using wobble bolts? When used on a contraption with other multiple wobble bolts, they tend to freak out and break under minute stress at times, which is rather dumb.

Unless it's for small things, I've stopped using them and started using normal bolts with rotator followers looking at specific keys. So much more stable and controllable in the long run and the normal bolts have not broken on me with all the stress I put on them, which includes incredibly quick turns and lots of impacts/collisions.

Speevy

Banned
Speaking of things breaking, does anyone have a story of a huge level just going haywire inexplicably while you were making it? Like, it worked one minute and didn't the next?

Confidence Man said:
They're normal bolts. I'm grabbing things and picking them up/swinging them around with the arm, which seems to be the source of the breaks.
Put the material tweaker on each of the parts of the arm and set indestructible to yes in the options. You should be good then.

Speevy said:
Speaking of things breaking, does anyone have a story of a huge level just going haywire inexplicably while you were making it? Like, it worked one minute and didn't the next?

Sounds like old school LBP1 create mode back in the day, lol. What exactly is breaking?

Speevy

Banned
Nothing for me. I just thought everyone had that story. Thankfully it hasn't happened yet in this game.

I do have a question though. What if I want to emit a constant stream of water, but I don't want it to make any noise?

Ranger X

Speevy said:
Nothing for me. I just thought everyone had that story. Thankfully it hasn't happened yet in this game.

I do have a question though. What if I want to emit a constant stream of water, but I don't want it to make any noise?

Good question. I wish there was a solution about this. But water does make a sound on impact so I really think we cannot do anything :(

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I don't know why but I'm having the hardest time building my controlinator. I'm guessing the root of the problem lies in that I don't really have an intrest in building levels with them but I'm giving them a shot to try something different. What I want to know is:

1. Is there a good online guide to how to build them?
2. How the hell do I get them to defy gravity?
3. Just about everything else...

I'm really at a loss building them.

Also new level, posted in the community thread: Sackboy versus the Cardboard Creator.

Slermy

I'm running into "There are too many objects in this area" type of warnings sometimes on part of my level. Anyone have any tips or info about how this is calculated?

Is it like the thermometer where gluing objects together helps?
Do destructible materials count against this?
What about the camera? If I zoom it in will that help things?

kinoki said:
I don't know why but I'm having the hardest time building my controlinator. I'm guessing the root of the problem lies in that I don't really have an intrest in building levels with them but I'm giving them a shot to try something different. What I want to know is:

1. Is there a good online guide to how to build them?
2. How the hell do I get them to defy gravity?
3. Just about everything else...

I'm really at a loss building them.

This shows you how to make a top-down shooter vehicle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKZ8JCcTBDU

Slermy said:
I'm running into "There are too many objects in this area" type of warnings sometimes on part of my level. Anyone have any tips or info about how this is calculated?

Is it like the thermometer where gluing objects together helps?
Do destructible materials count against this?
What about the camera? If I zoom it in will that help things?

There's literally too much stuff in the entire level that's considered active. The thermo calculates what's existing. Zooming will not alleviate the issue but emitting thermo heavy items when necessary will. In my Fist of Craft Earth level, all the enemies and a lot of level sections and destructible items are all emitted.

Slermy

donkey show said:
There's literally too much stuff in the entire level that's considered active. The thermo calculates what's existing. Zooming will not alleviate the issue but emitting thermo heavy items when necessary will. In my Fist of Craft Earth level, all the enemies and a lot of level sections and destructible items are all emitted.

Ah, interesting. I'll try switching my destructible stuff to emitters. Thanks for the tip!

PS blog

Hello again, LittleBigPlanet fans! I know you’re still busy playing the game, but here’s your chance to join the community to create a make.believe level for LittleBigPlanet 2… even if you don’t know your poppit from your wobble bolt!

Sony make.believe brings you “The LittleBigCreation,” which gives the community the chance to vote on every aspect of a new, custom-created make.believe level.

Here’s what you need to do to let your voice be heard:

Visit the Facebook.com/Sony page and click on the “Make Games” tab. Each week, you’ll be voting on design elements including genre, environment, characters, storyline, music and name. Each week, Sony make.believe will be giving away great prizes such as a PlayStation 3, PlayStation Move and more…just for voting! So make sure to come back to the Facebook.com/Sony page each week to get a glimpse of the level as it is being created and for more chances to win. If you are chosen as the Grand Prize winner, you’ll win a trip to this year’s E3 in Los Angeles.

And, of course, when the contest ends on March 31, you can download and play the make.believe level within LittleBigPlanet 2 to see just how Sony make.believe helped turn your ideas into reality.

http://www.facebook.com/Sony#!/Sony?v=app_188012844563535

:/ I dont own a pastport lol I know ;)

Anyway ^^; how do you guys feel about a 3+ hour long set of level? First look at the cast of characters im not sure about names so any idea feel free to tell me, they may change but

88cfd1ff2c5239a5b2913aa0fd3c033b5107f7e8.jpg

the opening level will be like a RPG town type thing

6114e5bd967fb399574ca4f5f3382981a3c35401.jpg

Ranger X

I would probably play it if you release it in one shot.
Have yourself rules for balacing the cut-scene and text times too. It doesn't take much for LBP players to quit a level because of text and cut-scenes.

cnizzle06

Banned
So I finally got the game (Valentine's Day gift). I've finished the story mode and have now been tinkering about with create mode. My first creation is a submarine; each player operates a different aspect of it...now I just need to think of something to actually do with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pyVlKOQ618

Any advice would be appreciated.

^ I guess it depends on what you want the player to take away from the level. What would that be, if you don't mind me asking?

jump_button said:
Anyway ^^; how do you guys feel about a 3+ hour long set of level?
It'd better be good. =P

I know you'll do great.

^ you know me im just going to send everyone to sleep with puzzles and slow game play but im going to try and mix it up so they not playing the same type over and over

Ranger X said:
I would probably play it if you release it in one shot.
Have yourself rules for balacing the cut-scene and text times too. It doesn't take much for LBP players to quit a level because of text and cut-scenes.

it will all be in a hub level where you get a key to next level at the end of the last so you can pick up from the last level any time

I've came to realize that using stickers for grass texture doesn't work too well (and is extremely time consuming). I guess I should just keep non-ground/wall/ceiling props as custom made and the rest designed through materials.

Actually I don't even know if I can make a level since I have like, two other game design projects going on in my life.

Master Z

LBP wizards I need your help! So we're trying to make a music video but have run into a problem. The only way to record the lyrics is with magic mouth but that drowns out the beat we made. Plus is has that little beep noise when the magic mouth is initiated. I tried attaching the mouth to an audio tweaker with the levels adjusted but it didn't seem to do anything. Maybe I attached them wrong. Anybody have any ideas?

Master Z said:
LBP wizards I need your help! So we're trying to make a music video but have run into a problem. The only way to record the lyrics is with magic mouth but that drowns out the beat we made. Plus is has that little beep noise when the magic mouth is initiated. I tried attaching the mouth to an audio tweaker with the levels adjusted but it didn't seem to do anything. Maybe I attached them wrong. Anybody have any ideas?
Turn off the ducker in the magic mouth options. That will prevent the audio ducking when the speech comes on. As for the beep, what are you recording off of, the PSEye? You just might be too close to your speakers as I have not had that issue when voice recording.

Teknoman

donkey show said:
Turn off the ducker in the magic mouth options. That will prevent the audio ducking when the speech comes on. As for the beep, what are you recording off of, the PSEye? You just might be too close to your speakers as I have not had that issue when voice recording.

I was just about to ask something like this for voices during normal gameplay scenes.

Confidence Man said:
My UFO:
4c0837c31c8c5e0665574dd6ead4d9835562aa79.jpg

Now to build a level to go around it.

Nice style. Operating the same way for now (characters first, environments second).

And yeah Jump, go for it. A platform for games remember? I hope more people attempt to make full games (no matter how long or short).

Oh and posting this here as well:

So how far are we off from the next NeoGAF collaboration?

Dont want to beat the subject into the ground, but with true top-down camera orientation and Sack bots/music creator...Super LBC should be no problem at all. Then again i'm biased since i'm a really big Contra fan.

superc13.gif

RobbieNick

I suck at creating. I mainly just check out other people's levels.

However, I do have an idea for a game I'm love to see. A survival horror game where you're a Cookie with legs and arms being hunted and stalked by the Cookie Monster.

Make it happen! XP

Ranger X

Torillian said:
Had some levels suggested to me in N4G and thought you guys might appreciate them.

Moon Lander http://lbp.me/v/w3qk7n
Moon Lander 2 http://lbp.me/v/xtvv0j

it's one of those classic moon lander type games where you have to fight gravity and keep from touching any walls or you'll explode, the second one has some cool ideas on coop with areas that only one player or the other can pass through. I played through the first and have only touched the second momentarily.

d272ae34ab4e371e23ee7dbc1753373a196febcc.jpg

Ok those 2 levels are absolutely fantastic! You guys should really play that. Donkey Show, push this one with me, this is MMpicks material there. ;)

Stampy

donkey show said:
Originally Posted by from the NPD thread:
Little Big Planet 2 -- 353K

Not bad LBP2. Much better than your first outing here in the states. Wonder how WW sales will be altogether, especially since it just released in JP.

I am totally confused with this number to be honest, taking into account that today, in the mid of the February, the first story level has been played by approximately 450k people. Which leaves us with two possibilities: 1. LBP2 sold terribly in the rest of the world (highly unlikely). and 2. LBP2 has been bought by some 700-900k people till today but out of those, only 450k played the game while being online, while others didn't even open the game after they bought it (???), or they are playing it completely offline (once again ???). Does anyone else have any other interpretations/explanations?

Ranger X said:
Ok those 2 levels are absolutely fantastic! You guys should really play that. Donkey Show, push this one with me, this is MMpicks material there. ;)
They've been twatted. =) I wanted to punch those damn laser turrets though, grrrr.

RobbieNick said:
I suck at creating. I mainly just check out other people's levels.

However, I do have an idea for a game I'm love to see. A survival horror game where you're a Cookie with legs and arms being hunted and stalked by the Cookie Monster.

Make it happen! XP

I'll admit, this sounds awesome. *runs to the drawing board*

Teknoman said:
So how far are we off from the next NeoGAF collaboration?

Dont want to beat the subject into the ground, but with true top-down camera orientation and Sack bots/music creator...Super LBC should be no problem at all. Then again i'm biased since i'm a really big Contra fan.

I guess it all depends on when you guys want to start. I was talking to Jaeyden about it awhile back and he seemed pretty hype to do it again, barring being pretty busy. As long as I take the top-downs, I'll be good to go. =P
I wouldn't mind making Dudebro a secret character. ^^

Stampy said:
I am totally confused with this number to be honest, taking into account that today, in the mid of the February, the first story level has been played by approximately 450k people. Which leaves us with two possibilities: 1. LBP2 sold terribly in the rest of the world (highly unlikely). and 2. LBP2 has been bought by some 700-900k people till today but out of those, only 450k played the game while being online, while others didn't even open the game after they bought it (???), or they are playing it completely offline (once again ???). Does anyone else have any other interpretations/explanations?

#2 sounds like the probable scenario.

Teknoman

donkey show said:
I guess it all depends on when you guys want to start. I was talking to Jaeyden about it awhile back and he seemed pretty hype to do it again, barring being pretty busy. As long as I take the top-downs, I'll be good to go. =P
I wouldn't mind making Dudebro a secret character. ^^

That would probably be best. Remake with some original material added.

kamspy

Hey LBP GAF.

My 4 year old loves this game, but she can't really play it without getting help every 30 seconds. Is there a level pack anyone can recommend I download that is just really basic stuff?

She usually get stuck at any part requiring grappling.

I'd appreciate it!

jayb

kamspy said:
Hey LBP GAF.

My 4 year old loves this game, but she can't really play it without getting help every 30 seconds. Is there a level pack anyone can recommend I download that is just really basic stuff?

I'd appreciate it!

my young kids also have trouble sometimes with grabbing/swinging portions of levels, so I usually just filter the community levels with the Easy tag. that helps narrow it down.

I also created a few simple, non-published, levels for them to have fun in.

kamspy said:
Hey LBP GAF.

I'd appreciate it!

The Incredibles Level Kit? its have a gallery level cant think of anything other then user levels search with filter label easy on?

Hansel & Gretelbot LEVELS ARE OUT

PS blog http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011...nsel-gretelbot-out-now-plus-game-update-1-01/

Hi guys! Some cool nuggets of LittleBigPlanet news to start your weekend off nicely…

Firstly, a game update for LittleBigPlanet 2 was released earlier this week. Codenamed ‘Cupcake’, it fixes a number of issues that were making some players’ experience of LBP 2 insufficiently Sack-tastic. Head over here for a full list of updates

5454367224_1f24ff37a7.jpg

Last week we shared some cool news about “Hansel & Gretelbot” – a community-made level pack for LBP 2. Well, here’s some more cool news about “Hansel & Gretelbot” – it’s all ready for you to start playing! Here’s Spaff from Media Molecule with more details…

The Community made Level Pack Hansel and Gretelbot is out now! For those who didn’t see it last week, Hansel & Gretelbot is a completely community made pack of 7 playable levels, furnished with a full story, cut scenes, voice acting, original score, and lots of prizes to collect too! It’s a might achievement, and hopefully one that will inspire others to do the same.

It’s completely free and no need to download, just head over to this LBP.me page and queue up the first level!

http://lbp.me/u/Hansel_Gretelbot

The H&G team put together this set of awesome wallpapers to download for your PS3, plus you can read an interview with some of the creators over on LittleBigLand, where you can also download a fourth wallpaper!

On behalf of the guys, we hope you enjoy Hansel and Gretelbot, and please join us in congratulating them on their creation. May there be many more to come!

Congratulations to the whole Hansel & Gretelbot team on creating something so impressive and ambitious – it’s an amazing example of what’s possible in LittleBigPlanet 2. I hope you all have fun playing it!

I like what i played so far but geting failed to load level at end of some levels im sure iv miss some CS ill play others later when it not get hammed

Stampy

donkey show said:
You guys are gonna like it. It's good stuff. =)

Hmm, does anyone else get an abrupt ending in the first intro movie? Is this normal, or is something messed up with my online? :/

Stampy said:
Hmm, does anyone else get an abrupt ending in the first intro movie? Is this normal, or is something messed up with my online? :/
From what I remember, it was an issue from Mm's end. It's definitely not a player volume issue. These levels were worked on from the beta, so I suppose there might be stability issues. But really, it's not your fault.

Stampy

And now I am getting all choppy music on the second level. Hmm, can someone else confirm if they are getting this also? :/ The level is beautiful, but the choppy music and sound effects really kill the mood.

Stampy said:
And now I am getting all choppy music on the second level. Hmm, can someone else confirm if they are getting this also? :/ The level is beautiful, but the choppy music and sound effects really kill the mood.

on lbpc they trying to fix any bug

Ok, folks, our first patch!

All sublevels, with the exception of the second half of the intro have been made regular levels. They are still linked as they should be, but you can now access the ones that fail to link properly.

This also means that there are way more than 7 levels now, heh.

I am looking into the sound bug in Level 6. It was an issue that I believed to be resolved. Sadly, this doesn't appear to be the case.

Edit: New version of Level 6 is up. If you guys have the same issue, please let me know. Also, I hid a visible Anit-Grav switch in Level 4.

Stampy said:
This happened to me on a few of the levels. The performance issues are unfortunate.

I think the standout levels are 4 and 7, really enjoyed those.

Top Bottom