• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

Master Z

donkey show said:
Turn off the ducker in the magic mouth options. That will prevent the audio ducking when the speech comes on. As for the beep, what are you recording off of, the PSEye? You just might be too close to your speakers as I have not had that issue when voice recording.
Of course it had to be something obvious. lol Thanks for the tip, it completely solved the problem. The beep was just because I forgot to turn it's settings to: subtitles on. What's a little tricky now is getting the flow on time, considering how lbp records. And when I would move the magic mouth on either the music sequence or the gp sequencer the clip stopped playing. :|

scotcheggz

I still haven't played this yet, but I just saw the dragon quest-ish level someone made on mixi. Has it been posted yet? I haven't really followed LBP2 at all, but this shit is crazy!

satriales

When using the controllinator is there anyway to differentiate between left and right? Basically I have created some sprites which I'm emitting and would like to emit a different version if the player is moving left than if they are moving right.

A workaround is to use L1 and R1 for movement instead of the analogue stick but i'd prefer to keep the movement controls to the stick so as not to confuse people.

Not sure if there's a way to do it with logic alone, but with a rocket rotator you can create a simple mechanism to trigger different emitters depending on which way you're moving.

Teknoman said:
I wonder how they transferred the stage icon art so nicely. Unless PSeye stickers are alot sharper in LBP2.

its just the PSeye

like this

80a52bd9b264c3d2bde43af069158348565406c8.png

a9cd7e5080feb3d0bd5d10aefc87897dc950ab82.png

Teknoman

Hmm maybe i've just got crappy lighting conditions for the camera (or the wrong settings).

But if you could get it to come out that clear, i'll give it a shot. Maybe I accidentally messed with the lens settings.

jayb

satriales said:
When using the controllinator is there anyway to differentiate between left and right? Basically I have created some sprites which I'm emitting and would like to emit a different version if the player is moving left than if they are moving right.

A workaround is to use L1 and R1 for movement instead of the analogue stick but i'd prefer to keep the movement controls to the stick so as not to confuse people.

controllinator left/right connected to a direction splitter should work.

Loudninja

LittleBigPlanet 2 Patch notes:
Update 1.01:

* Your Craft Earth should no longer obscure the pod when changing your PSN Avatar.
* If your POD was missing, blocked, broken or contained any create objects it shouldn't have, it will now be reset to normal.
* A more accessible "Reset Pod" option is now available should your POD become broken for some reason! To access it: Pause the game / Press START > Go to the Settings Menu > Select Profile > Select "Reset Pod Decoration".
* The "Naux" glitch / corrupt Sackboy problem should now be fixed - your Sackboy will no longer be squishy and unable to swim!
* DLC costumes and PODS that have been captured from community levels will no longer be selectable in pop-it. Anyone wearing a "glitched" DLC costume after patching will have it removed.
* Several improvements to overall game stability have been made.
* We've vanquished some evil code gremlins that were causing crashes and that has improved overall stability.
* Info bubbles that have long text descriptions (e.g. The sequencer) can now be scrolled in a fixed width text box.
* There is now a visual indicator showing how high a bounce pad will bounce you when tweaking it in Create mode.
* Stickers and decorations that are placed on Sackboy only will not appear in the used objects page.
* Level keys can now be deleted from Pop-it!
* You can't watch the credits while already watching them after completing the game.
* It should now be possible to re-enter your shopping cart if you accidentally signed out when it had some items in it.
* Players will now be prompted to save the changes made to their level in Create when switching to Play Mode after having changed the Audio Reverb.
* Emitting and destroying spawn points in quick succession should no longer make the game crawl into the corner and weep.
* LBP1 sound objects should now be correctly imported when using the option to do so when booting the game.
* It is no longer possible to access level links to LBP1 Story levels t
at you have hearted.
* The Clank Costume has green eyes again!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-18-littlebigplanet-2-glitches-patched-up

mclem

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I've just started re-making my first level (Faux City). Having completed two levels and making art direction tests for three new levels I've learned alot. Putting all that knowledge back into a published levels feels great.

I still can't get over the satisfaction of creating levels and getting better at it. Hopefully the result will be available for all to see at the end of the week.

satriales

I made a really complicated level with thousands of holograms and got a warning saying that it was getting too complicated. Fair enough, so I optimised it and got the number of holograms down to about 100. Instead of fixing it, the problem got much worse. So I loaded up an old save that I know had no problems and for some reason this time it was unplayable with objects not appearing due to it being too complex.

I then started a brand new level from scratch and after a few minutes received the same message saying my level is too complicated and when I switch to play mode many parts of the level will disappear because of this. The thing is it's a very simple level that doesn't even reach the first notch of the thermometer, so I think it's a bug caused by my previous level rather than my current level being too complex.

Has this happened to anyone else? I was wondering whether deleting my LBP2 game data will fix it, but not sure if I'd lose anything else by doing that.

satriales said:
I made a really complicated level with thousands of holograms and got a warning saying that it was getting too complicated. Fair enough, so I optimised it and got the number of holograms down to about 100. Instead fo fixing it, the problem got much worse. So I loaded up an old save that I know had no problems and for some reason this time it was unplayable with objects not appearing due to it being too complex.

I then started a brand new level from scratch and after a few minutes received the same message saying my level is too complicated and when I switch to play mode many parts of the level will disappear because of this. The thing is it's a very simple level that doesn't even reach the first notch of the thermometer, so I think it's a bug caused by my previous level rather than my current level being too complex.

Has this happened to anyone else? I was wondering whether deleting my LBP2 game data will fix it, but not sure if I'd lose anything else by doing that.

alot of holograms in one area will drop the frame rate alot nothing you can really do other then cut down on holograms

Ranger X

satriales said:
I made a really complicated level with thousands of holograms and got a warning saying that it was getting too complicated. Fair enough, so I optimised it and got the number of holograms down to about 100. Instead of fixing it, the problem got much worse. So I loaded up an old save that I know had no problems and for some reason this time it was unplayable with objects not appearing due to it being too complex.

This might happen for other reasons than the thermo. It can be too complex because there's too many objects, too many stickers, too many collectables, to many vertices (in you shapes), etc. Each of those things have their own "thermo" and the the thermo you see on screen is only sort of an overall / average one.
So if your thermo does not look full and you get that message, it must mean there's a region that is too complex in your level. Do you fix most your stuff with dark matter? Each part/section of a level should be glued to dark matter. This prevents you stuff from being calculated as "moveable objects with physics". Dark matter is physics -less and takes alot less memory because of that --- and so is the stuff stickied to it.

satriales

jump_button said:
alot of holograms in one area will drop the frame rate alot nothing you can really do other then cut down on holograms
Yeah, I was just experimenting with sprite animation, not too bothered that I lost that level.

My problem is that for some reason my new level doesn't have any holograms and only some very basic geometry yet I'm once again getting warnings about the complexity of the level.

I'm wondering if my game data is bugged. Would I lose anything if I delete it?

satriales

Ranger X said:
This might happen for other reasons than the thermo. It can be too complex because there's too many objects, too many stickers, too many collectables, to many vertices (in you shapes), etc. Each of those things have their own "thermo" and the the thermo you see on screen is only sort of an overall / average one.
So if your thermo does not look full and you get that message, it must mean there's a region that is too complex in your level. Do you fix most your stuff with dark matter? Each part/section of a level should be glued to dark matter. This prevents you stuff from being calculated as "moveable objects with physics". Dark matter is physics -less and takes alot less memory because of that --- and so is the stuff stickied to it.
I used to glue stuff to dark matter but with recent levels I've just been sticking anti-gravity tweaks on objects. I'll try using dark matter instead and see if that helps.

I was purposely trying to make the level as simple as possible to start with but maybe it's these ladders that are causing the problem. This is the most complex part of the level: http://i3.lbp.me/img/ft/003f7ed656dce58415aea147043eac45ca7cf3bd.jpg

satriales said:
Yeah, I was just experimenting with sprite animation, not too bothered that I lost that level.

My problem is that for some reason my new level doesn't have any holograms and only some very basic geometry yet I'm once again getting warnings about the complexity of the level.

I'm wondering if my game data is bugged. Would I lose anything if I delete it?

well looks like you have alot of little blocks on they own

cf692cb5c463ce1ab7e31f7a2f8aec349ea748bd.jpg

if you going to do animation sprite you going to have to think 8-bit not 16-bit

7d010356aedb8fe3e822ac028baecd771f197de8.jpg

satriales

Yeah, it was mainly just an experiment and it worked fine for ages. That screenshot has 13 sprites on screen (7 at the top and 6 layered on top of each other for the animation) each with over 100 holograms, plus a huge level that is currently offscreen and I had no problems at all the whole time I was creating it.

When I did start getting problems I deleted the seven sprites at the top of the screen and everything that is offscreen, plus I optimized the animation so that holograms that are reused everytime (such as the head and the cape) only appear once leaving me with a final animation of little more than 100 holograms total for six sprites. (Before and after) So I had reduced the complexity of my level to less than 10% of what it was, but the errors only got worse.

Like you say 16-bit is too much and after my experiment I realised it would never work in an actual level, so I'm not bothered that I lost that level, it just seems to have somehow affected new levels I'm building.

Speevy

Banned
Give me some opinions on level links.

Do you think it's good to have another section if your current level is approaching its thermometer limit, or will players just roll their eyes?

Ranger X

Looks like I have 2 problems when trying to create my new level. If I can't sort this out, I will not be able to attain my desired quality and that would be really deceiving (we need to bring our creation to a new level in this new game don't we? :)

Anyhow, first prob is:

1- I need to be able to switch from one remoted controlled controlinator to another remote controlled controlinator. (back and forth).

I don't know if it's doable but I does sound like it is. There's just something I can't put my finger on, I am blocked right now. Anyways, my goal is that sometimes I will switch from Sackboy to a Sackbot for a while and then back to Sackboy later on. My Sackoy is always remote controlling a controllinator because he's having some new moves I made. :p

--------------

2- Is it possible to make a hud that doesn't follow the player but follows the screen?

Right now I obviously know how to make some hud follow the player (some holo + player follower) but I really really don't like that it jumps and move with me. I wish it would appear to the player like it's fixed on the screen, just like any traditionnal huds...

I hope I am not hitting LBP2 limits there...

Ranger X said:
Looks like I have 2 problems when trying to create my new level. If I can't sort this out, I will not be able to attain my desired quality and that would be really deceiving (we need to bring our creation to a new level in this new game don't we? :)

Anyhow, first prob is:

1- I need to be able to switch from one remoted controlled controlinator to another remote controlled controlinator. (back and forth).

I don't know if it's doable but I does sound like it is. There's just something I can't put my finger on, I am blocked right now. Anyways, my goal is that sometimes I will switch from Sackboy to a Sackbot for a while and then back to Sackboy later on. My Sackoy is always remote controlling a controllinator because he's having some new moves I made. :p
You can put receiver controlinators on a chip and then connect something to the chip to activate/deactivate that chip (and thus the controlinator) as needed. Also, you're allowed to have multiple controlinators on the same circuit board.

2- Is it possible to make a hud that doesn't follow the player but follows the screen?

Right now I obviously know how to make some hud follow the player (some holo + player follower) but I really really don't like that it jumps and move with me. I wish it would appear to the player like it's fixed on the screen, just like any traditionnal huds...

In theory you could do this if you use a movie camera that doesn't follow players at all, fix the camera onto the HUD or an object that has the HUD welded to it. (I haven't tried this and my track record for answering questions about things I haven't tried is so far terrible.)

The game camera might be able to do the same thing but my experience with it is that it seems to want to react to the players even when player tracking is turned off.

I've just published my second level, although its still a work in progress, I think I am at the point where I could do with other peoples plays and comments.... since im the only one to have played it and its sending me a bit mad.

JumbleCrab
http://lbp.me/v/x2405c

b31e504af491aeaf6bfb90a913d36f4c5d0ee49d.png

5462937113_26f730f56e.jpg

Ranger X said:
2- Is it possible to make a hud that doesn't follow the player but follows the screen?[/B]

If you look at the Vectroids level, http://lbp.me/v/xrebq7, it has a ships remaining display in the upper left that is entirely fixed, while the screen moves separately, so it's definitely possible.

Ship icons never move- VVV
e85fbf9a7ea704be1f0fd328056c503fe54ae9d7.jpg

Torillian

Neo Member
rubbishmonkey said:
I've just published my second level, although its still a work in progress, I think I am at the point where I could do with other peoples plays and comments.... since im the only one to have played it and its sending me a bit mad.

JumbleCrab
http://lbp.me/v/x2405c

]

Just got through it, very fun level. gets real tough once you're near the top.

Some bugs I noticed was that sometimes I would get another ball on my tower and I guess that was too much weight for some other section of the tower and it would come toppling down. Also sometimes balls will hit but not stick or not stick immediately to where they hit.

Suggestions: I think it might be interesting to try giving the crab some articulation, just tilting his arms left and right with the right joystick would give the player more to do than move left and right. Also power ups that could be added and work alright would be moving faster, momentarily indestructible towers, and changing the camera angle for a while to let people see further up the playing field.

Ranger X

TelemachusD said:
If you look at the Vectroids level, http://lbp.me/v/xrebq7, it has a ships remaining display in the upper left that is entirely fixed, while the screen moves separately, so it's definitely possible.

Ship icons never move- VVV

I actually found why it wasn't working. There was a gameplay cam on my hud (wich is fine) but it needed to be set to 0% follow player. (I originally left it at 100%, wich means "follow the player").

Blakero said:
Donkey Show, I was very impressed with Fist of Craft Earth
Thanks man! Glad you thought so. =)

And here's some stuff I was messing around with this weekend. It's more top down action stuff, but you're controlling a giant knight armor.

SlhuZ.jpg

dedus.jpg

PY2nu.jpg

It's a little tough to see in the pics, but it's much better to see in motion anyway since the movement is leagues ahead of what I did in Fist of Craft Earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNuxKoHBlM

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
donkey show said:
Thanks man! Glad you thought so. =)

And here's some stuff I was messing around with this weekend. It's more top down action stuff, but you're controlling a giant knight armor.

It's a little tough to see in the pics, but it's much better to see in motion anyway since the movement is leagues ahead of what I did in Fist of Craft Earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNuxKoHBlM

Wow. Looks like you're really on to something. When I think about making more complicated levels than my platforming niche I get tired all over. Even when directing small cutscenes I get annoyed at how far it's between my imagination and the end-result. That gap has been narrowed in the last week but things like this... yikes. But "yikes" in a good way.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Was messing around and playing with a stranger, and he randomly picked Hansel and Gretelbot. I completely forgot about this, and wow was I blown away by that intro. The sheer creativity and polish that went into that alone is so impressive. I queued it so I could play the whole thing later. Damn.

Also, holy shit is acing LBP2 levels fucking HARD! I also spent the entirety of Sunday morning and afternoon finding every damn item in LBP1, and went so far as to ace every LBP1 level as well, so I feel like I'm more or less done with the first game now. I'm really not sure if that neon helmet was worth the pain and suffering of trying ace that stupid level.

LBP2's ace rewards aren't as awesome as I'd like them to be, though, I must say.

BTW, was the GAF's Contra collab thing ever updated with LBP2 level linking and whatnot?

Nyx

Tried to google it, but can't find a definitive answer.

How is the local multiplayer ? Can I play the entire story mode with my GF ?

risk

Nyx said:
Tried to google it, but can't find a definitive answer.

How is the local multiplayer ? Can I play the entire story mode with my GF ?
Yeah, you can. I beat the SP with my BF a few days after launch.

Torillian said:
Just got through it, very fun level. gets real tough once you're near the top.

Some bugs I noticed was that sometimes I would get another ball on my tower and I guess that was too much weight for some other section of the tower and it would come toppling down. Also sometimes balls will hit but not stick or not stick immediately to where they hit.

Suggestions: I think it might be interesting to try giving the crab some articulation, just tilting his arms left and right with the right joystick would give the player more to do than move left and right. Also power ups that could be added and work alright would be moving faster, momentarily indestructible towers, and changing the camera angle for a while to let people see further up the playing field.

Wow, thanks for the feedback!
I am hoping that an object tweaker on the ball to change the gravity will fix the breaking tower problem.

Nice ideas with the power ups. I did think about having moving claws, but it I just never got round to it as the idea developed, I certainly will experiment with those suggestions at some point. Cheers

Torillian

Neo Member
rubbishmonkey said:
Wow, thanks for the feedback!
I am hoping that an object tweaker on the ball to change the gravity will fix the breaking tower problem.

Nice ideas with the power ups. I did think about having moving claws, but it I just never got round to it as the idea developed, I certainly will experiment with those suggestions at some point. Cheers

Good luck, let me know when you finish, I'd like to try it again once you mess around with it a bit.

kinoki said:
Wow. Looks like you're really on to something. When I think about making more complicated levels than my platforming niche I get tired all over. Even when directing small cutscenes I get annoyed at how far it's between my imagination and the end-result. That gap has been narrowed in the last week but things like this... yikes. But "yikes" in a good way.
Haha thanks man, and I know what you mean. I never really liked making platforming levels, so it's been somewhat of a godsend with the way creating has moved beyond that. I want to move back into sidescrolling (which I will with Stem Cell Sackboy), but top-down has so much more freedom of movement. I honestly could care less if the kiddies don't like this non-platforming stuff. It's so much fun building what I want and how I want. =)

Hansel & Gretelbot coming out means that some of the most popular levels right now happen to be platforming, so hopefully everyone can be happy concerning the whole platformer vs. non-platformer controversy.

^ And that's cool since the game gives you enough freedom to do that. Personally, my line of thinking is that there's enough creators out there who make platformers and make them great.

donkey show said:
^ And that's cool since the game gives you enough freedom to do that. Personally, my line of thinking is that there's enough creators out there who make platformers and make them great.
^ Well yeah im sure users will find what they like the most and really go for it, my sky town class as a platformer but i hope its unique too, and working on a idea of a action/platformer open world

still no Community Spotlight Episode 58 from LBPC I hope they not skipping this weeks too

kinoki

donkey show said:
Haha thanks man, and I know what you mean. I never really liked making platforming levels, so it's been somewhat of a godsend with the way creating has moved beyond that. I want to move back into sidescrolling (which I will with Stem Cell Sackboy), but top-down has so much more freedom of movement. I honestly could care less if the kiddies don't like this non-platforming stuff. It's so much fun building what I want and how I want. =)

Well, that's what it's for. I like it that the tools they've given us can be used both for simple platforming and tons of other stuff and I'm glad they went in that direction. Alot of people like drawing outside the lines and do their damnedest to re-define what's a line and what's not.

Personally I was split with your Fist-level. I thought it was an awesome accomplishment but I thought it was too complicated. This knight level looks alot better and cleaner. Personally I hope you ditch all forms of UI and let my screen just take in the lush graphics.

And really? There's a controversy about the non-platform levels? Personally I'm a kill-your-darlings kind of guy so whenever an idea becomes to complex I start by killing off everything that doesn't pass the lowest possible denominator test. I can't build these huge complex levels because of this but I enjoy that others do.

Ranger X

jump_button said:
^ Well yeah im sure users will find what they like the most and really go for it, my sky town class as a platformer but i hope its unique too, and working on a idea of a action/platformer open world

still no Community Spotlight Episode 58 from LBPC I hope they not skipping this weeks too

Yeah what is taking them so long? I hope the spotlight team isn't in trouble...

Top Bottom