• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

My aunt wants to buy LBP2 for her daughter but she has to get a PS3 first. I wanted to know if there are any PS3+LBP2 bundles out there, preferably with extra controller? Thanks peeps.

Quaz51

9fe31402e0a9614d4353217bcfb29bc36eac93cf.jpg

8d9254e88f20722130d7ab8dfe81bfe127a43e34.jpg

23427dc8e57d0c90610c26cecb9a73980886ae78.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxvCA_Rl2pg

http://lbp.me/v/x1j470

kinoki said:
Personally I was split with your Fist-level. I thought it was an awesome accomplishment but I thought it was too complicated. This knight level looks alot better and cleaner. Personally I hope you ditch all forms of UI and let my screen just take in the lush graphics.
Haha, it's cool man. I primarily made it for myself in the beta, but since a lot of people wanted it back, I remade it for what it was worth. The whole thing was more of a test in seeing if a combat system like that is feasible in LBP2. It works, but accuracy is definitely not its strong point. I also play a lot of games that tend to be pretty execution heavy, so that's where it gets its inspiration from, lol.

As for the knight stuff, errr... it's definitely geared more towards to lowest common denominator. Very non-reliant on execution, but it's there for those who want it. Plus it's going to be slower obviously and very "forgiving" versus Fist, lol. Oh yeah, and multiplayer. As soon as I'm done with this report I'm building for work (fml on a holiday), I'm going to work on a knight that is similar to Nightmare from Soul Calibur. And as much as I'd love to go minimalistic on the HUD, I have some ideas...

Ranger X said:
Well deserved!! Looks like pushing levels on their twitter does work!
It's a great tool for that, no doubt. It's surprising how many RTs my suggestions get. I'll just push GAFs stuff like that as well.

Ranger X

donkey show said:
It's a great tool for that, no doubt. It's surprising how many RTs my suggestions get. I'll just push GAFs stuff like that as well.

Well, they know you and probably trust you. They will definetely play what you suggest them. Keep suggesting only great stuff though.

Thrakier

Woah, that framerate and tearing on some of those Gretelbot levels is horrible. I mean, really? It's nice to push GFX and design and so on, but that heavily effects the joy of playing the game. What's worse when a low FPS platformer? I mean, I expected that they got this right, it's like the baseline of good game development imo.

Torillian

Neo Member
Quaz51 said:

kudos if that is your level dude, it's pretty amazing. You can tell that a whole ton of work and love went into it. Having multiple modes of play made me come back three times which isn't common for these types of games and the giants mode was particularly great. I could only get to wave 2 out of 8 in the regular mode, so I don't know if you have boss fights but that would be my only possible suggestion if you don't. The music is great too, good work by Trashmustache apparently.

It's not the prettiest twin stick shooter out there but it's the most robust of LBP2 twin stick shooters that I've played, and another deserving level for MM pick.

Quaz51 said:
http://ie.lbp.me/img/ft/9fe31402e0a9614d4353217bcfb29bc36eac93cf.jpg[img]

[img]http://i9.lbp.me/img/ft/8d9254e88f20722130d7ab8dfe81bfe127a43e34.jpg[img]

[img]http://i4.lbp.me/img/ft/23427dc8e57d0c90610c26cecb9a73980886ae78.jpg[img]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxvCA_Rl2pg[/url]

[url]http://lbp.me/v/x1j470[/url][/QUOTE]
I love this level. One of those I hope becomes very popular and well known.

KingDizzi

Banned
RustyNails said:
My aunt wants to buy LBP2 for her daughter but she has to get a PS3 first. I wanted to know if there are any PS3+LBP2 bundles out there, preferably with extra controller? Thanks peeps.

If you're in EU there is definitely a bundle, pretty sure there is one in US as well however you will have to get another DS3. I'm in love with this game, playing by yourself is OK but with three other people this just cannot be beaten. Love love love this game, rented it but fuck I'm going to buy it within the next couple weeks. Co-op is simply amazing.

10/10 and I hardly ever rate games highly :D

OMG Aero

Hi guys, I just published my first ever LittleBigPlanet level and just thought I'd see if anyone here wants to try it.
ELkam.png

Night at the Factory
A virus is infecting Sackbots at the Sackbot Factory. It's up to you to save them!
http://lbp.me/v/x3pkr6
Dj8W5.jpg

sejkX.jpg

It's a short platforming level involving sackbots and crane you can drive, but it took me ages to make (I got the 24 hours of create trophy while building this level and this is the only thing I've done in create aside from the tutorials) so I'd be really grateful to anyone who plays and/or reviews it.

Junior member reporting in. This is my first post here, and I've been following this thread for so long. Since before it was made when i think jump_button was making the banners or something. XD

Just wanted to say ALL of you are AMAZING. Keep up the good work, and i'll be playing your levels.

Ranger X

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Junior member reporting in. This is my first post here, and I've been following this thread for so long. Since before it was made when i think jump_button was making the banners or something. XD

Just wanted to say ALL of you are AMAZING. Keep up the good work, and i'll be playing your levels.

Welcome! More LBPers is always a good thing!

KingK

Hey all, new member here. I've been a lurker here for a while, and I've played a lot of GAF's levels. Love this game and love your guys' levels. Anyone can feel free to add me, my PSN is King_KDawgg

Speevy

Banned
I'm making my level called Speevyworld 2. It's going really well so far.

Is it okay to make a giant boss the midpoint of a level?

Speevy said:

It's always okay to do that, mang. =)

And do we have a wave of new gaffers? Welcome welcome! ^^

And my bro came over today and we started messing around with a versus version of that knight thing I posted earlier. It went really well so far. Now to add more characters to the mix. ^^

Teknoman

Speevy said:

Is it ever NOT ok to have a giant boss? Thats the question.

Stampy

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! :( I am going to cry. 40 hours of work down the drain.

I got the sound bug again (sound turning off after moving logic), but didn't think it was a big deal and saved the level. The next time I returned to it, many of my wires are dewired. Many of objects are screwed up. I try to place something on them, but the cursor goes haywire and pistons straight up beyond the boundaries of screen.

Oh, I wonder, how can a game that presents itself to be so lightheated and cheerful invoke such negative and soul destroying emotions. :(

mclem

Speevy said:

Warning: incoming game design philosophy.

In principle, yes; no problem.

In practice, though, you ought to make sure that the second half of the level doesn't feel anticlimactic as a result. You still could do with something exciting at the end of the level to still put a natural end to proceedings.

Alx

I hope I'm not spamming, I thought I had written a message here this morning but I can't find it any more.

So, I'm relaying a level made by a guy I know from another forum and who is still expecting his NeoGaf membership validation. His level has very positive feedback, so it may please some of you guys. :)

Link to the project :

Madness is an option

Alx said:
I hope I'm not spamming, I thought I had written a message here this morning but I can't find it any more.

So, I'm relaying a level made by a guy I know from another forum and who is still expecting his NeoGaf membership validation. His level has very positive feedback, so it may please some of you guys. :)

Link to the project :

Madness is an option
It's on this page already, ~20 posts up.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26059217&postcount=3352

I've got it queued but haven't played it yet.

Alx

Woops, sorry for the unnecessary post then. The author asked me to mention it here, but since I don't folllow this topic, I didn't notice that it found its way by itself. :p

Ranger X

Alx said:

Link to the project :

Madness is an option

Awesome level, you should post it in the Community Levels thread too if it's not already there. Afterall, this is the prime place we're supposed to post levels...

Community Levels thread

:)

satriales

I'm still having some issues with the game telling me my level is too complex although it's not as bad as the other day, and I even got my sprite level loaded and working perfectly again. Previously it was telling me this was too complex, but now I've improved it to this. I still think it's a very simple level and shouldn't be causing problems but for some reason it is.

I made it so that 'complex' objects such as ladders and steps are emitted as the player aproaches them and destroyed afterwards. This helped a bit but there are parts of the level where I want several ladders/steps on screen at once and so I'm going to need to find a solution. Geometry wise they can't be any simpler, so I'm thinking maybe draw the ladders with stickers instead?

Has anyone else made simple ladders like this in their levels and have problems with it being too complex? Also, performance-wise is it best to make the ladder in small parts and glue them together or just create the whole thing in one go?

I also have a question about creating enemies. I've got some sackbot enemies which harm the player when you touch them but I can't figure out how to make it so that the player can kill them by jumping on their head. Surely there must be a simple way to do it?

Slermy

satriales said:
I also have a question about creating enemies. I've got some sackbot enemies which harm the player when you touch them but I can't figure out how to make it so that the player can kill them by jumping on their head. Surely there must be a simple way to do it?

I haven't messed much with Sackbots, but can you put a button on their head? Or perhaps a tag on the enemy and a sensor on your feet with a super small radius?

Edit: Sorry, I thought this was using your sprite as a character. That's what I get for not looking your new images.

If push comes to shove, do your enemies have to be sackbots? You could make them the old fashioned way with exposed brains.

Speevy

Banned
Okay, another question.

If I want to make one of those swinging sections where you use the grappling hook to ascend a really tall structure, what shape should they be so they're not frustrating to the player?

Like, draw me something that works for anyone who's playing and feels fun.

Ranger X

satriales said:
I'm still having some issues with the game telling me my level is too complex although it's not as bad as the other day, and I even got my sprite level loaded and working perfectly again. Previously it was telling me this was too complex, but now I've improved it to this. I still think it's a very simple level and shouldn't be causing problems but for some reason it is.

I made it so that 'complex' objects such as ladders and steps are emitted as the player aproaches them and destroyed afterwards. This helped a bit but there are parts of the level where I want several ladders/steps on screen at once and so I'm going to need to find a solution. Geometry wise they can't be any simpler, so I'm thinking maybe draw the ladders with stickers instead?

Has anyone else made simple ladders like this in their levels and have problems with it being too complex? Also, performance-wise is it best to make the ladder in small parts and glue them together or just create the whole thing in one go?

Parts glued together might help. But I don't know how far it can.
I made a train track at some point and also some sidewalks on another level of mine. I was hitting the limit because of the dormants on the tracks and again with the sidewalk pieces. I made the dormants under the track to be stickers and the sidewalk cracks to be stickers.

Anyhow, do you absolutely need to ladders to keep their current shape?

satriales said:

Sadly, I think there are too many angles on those ladders, which is causing you the problems you're experiencing. If you cut it in half or thirds and glue them together, that might alleviate the issue a bit. The thing is though, there has to be something going on in the background though because even with that kind of geometry going on, you shouldn't be experiencing it.

As for the jumping thing, you could place a player sensor into the sackbot's microchip and shorten the radius to maybe a 90 degree angle and connect that sensor to a destroyer. That should have it activate only over their head versus any other part of the body. If you needed more accuracy, then make a 0% visibility hologram that follows the sackbot and place the player sensor exactly where you would want the player to jump on top. Repeat the connecting process to the destroyer and that should do it.

satriales

donkey show said:
Sadly, I think there are too many angles on those ladders, which is causing you the problems you're experiencing. If you cut it in half or thirds and glue them together, that might alleviate the issue a bit. The thing is though, there has to be something going on in the background though because even with that kind of geometry going on, you shouldn't be experiencing it.
There isn't anything going on in the background, and I just replaced all of the ladders with single rectangles with stickers on but the problems are still there so it must be a bug.

I just had the same idea about using a sensor and limiting the angle so only the head activates it and it worked exactly how I wanted. :)

satriales said:
There isn't anything going on in the background, and I just replaced all of the ladders with single rectangles with stickers on but the problems are still there so it must be a bug.

I just had the same idea about using a sensor and limiting the angle so only the head activates it and it worked exactly how I wanted. :)
Good to hear the player sensor thing worked. =) As for the bug you're experiencing, that's really weird. For comparison in my level the Fist of Craft Earth...

1mBij.jpg

... theres a bit going on in that screen with a couple sackbots, a hologram layer-caked player character with lots of geometry, several destructible things on the screen, and that's all running on around a 98% full thermo, but no complexity errors popping up.

Last night when I was messing around with some versus stuff in create mode, the score givers were all messed up as well with the points being given to the wrong peeps. And then my stickers on my moon were all replaced with the Mm logo. A little reset brought it back just fine, but I don't know why that's occurring. Haven't had the sound die out on me lately though.

mclem

So, further to the crash bug I mentioned earlier:

Thanks for letting us know about this. We've repro'd it here at Mm Towers and it will be fixed in a future patch.

Happy now. And feeling vaguely awesome :)

SykoTech

Add me to the "new members, longtime lurkers that have been loving LBP1/2 and the community on GAF" club. Been introduced to so many great levels thanks to this place and the first LBP Official Thread. My brother and I haven't had this much playing a game co-op since we were kids playing Sonic 2 on the Genesis.

Just keep on being awesome everyone.

nib95

Banned
Ok guys, so Tesco have this with a voucher for £29, which is cheap enough for me to consider jumping in. I loved the first but thought the community levels early on were a bit weak, and the SP was overly short. But overall, it was very fun and unique. What do you guys say overall based on the above, should I grab the second?

Just played through KZ3 and got Bulletstorm on order. But was thinking LBP2 could help break up the shooter monotony. How are the user created levels for the game thus far? Much quality out there? And how about the SP(multiplayer) campaign?

ombz

I've been going through parts of the story cooperatively online. Will I get the items that other players pick up?

Media Molecule Podcast 5 go and check it out

Oh my! We’ve only gone and fulfilled our new years resolution by recording another podcast this year (although it should have been released last week oops)!
Mm Podcast 5 is slightly different to what I’m going to describe as the normal way we do things, despite not really recording enough of them to establish any kind of norm. This time we invited Jim Unwin and Nathan Ruck to join the usual gang of Spaff, Tom and Kenny, and focused our discussion on how these guys designed the User Interface for LittleBigPlanet 2.

As referenced in the podcast, Jim has recently uploaded a presentation of his concepts for the UI to Flickr. They should provide you with a more in depth glimpse into the creation of the new UI in LBP2.

Additionally, Jim will be talking at SXSW in March, so if you are going, you should go and listen to what he has to say!
If you have any questions you’d like to ask us, or any comments for us, you can mail us at podcast@mediamolecule.com - thanks for listening, we’ll be back soon!

Teknoman

So what are you creators planning for voice acting, if anything at all? Zelda style grunts/heys, full on voices, or a combo of both. Also for those of you using VA, like Donkey, are you going to do all the voices on your own, or get help from others?

Just curious.

Stampy

Definitely getting help from other. Since I am not a native speaker, and have a weird accent, the combination would not be too great. The problem with voice acting is that the quality of recordings is terrible, so in order to compensate for it, you need to have great voice acting in your level (otherwise, I believe, the sacrifice is really not worth it). So when I can, I will try to collaborate with other people for VA, or I won’t have it in my level.

BTW, I am on work right now and I can't check this. So I would be grateful if someone could confirm if in the game mode the camera and sound placement (and all the fine adjustments and transition in the sequencer) remain the same when you switch to the cinema mode. I am asking this because I started building a level with an idea to have 30 seconds long intro cutscene, and as such I didn’t consider creating it as a nonplayable cinema level. But with time this intro cutscene developed to be almost 3 minutes long. I don’t think players would be all that happy with such a long nonplayable intro in a gameplay level, so I have decided to separate the intro and switch it to the cinema mode. But now I am wondering if that transition is painless or if it will cause me many hours of frustrations?

I dont think ill be trying VA anytime soon not for me lol im a soft talker 'ey up I'am from yorkshire like its sound rate bad and dead funny

Speevy

Banned
I tried making a character that giggles all the time but she wouldn't stop giggling. I wanted her to laugh every time the player got close but she kept doing it throughout the whole level.

A little creepy.

Teknoman

Stampy said:
Definitely getting help from other. Since I am not a native speaker, and have a weird accent, the combination would not be too great. The problem with voice acting is that the quality of recordings is terrible, so in order to compensate for it, you need to have great voice acting in your level (otherwise, I believe, the sacrifice is really not worth it). So when I can, I will try to collaborate with other people for VA, or I won’t have it in my level.

BTW, I am on work right now and I can't check this. So I would be grateful if someone could confirm if in the game mode the camera and sound placement (and all the fine adjustments and transition in the sequencer) remain the same when you switch to the cinema mode. I am asking this because I started building a level with an idea to have 30 seconds long intro cutscene, and as such I didn’t consider creating it as a nonplayable cinema level. But with time this intro cutscene developed to be almost 3 minutes long. I don’t think players would be all that happy with such a long nonplayable intro in a gameplay level, so I have decided to separate the intro and switch it to the cinema mode. But now I am wondering if that transition is painless or if it will cause me many hours of frustrations?

I'd think it would be something similar to the cutscenes in the story mode...then again, those seem to usually be separate levels for the most part.

Top Bottom