• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| - The Community Levels Thread

Ranger X

Yeah, the mods moved it.
I think it's confusing and slows down the thread but what can you do. Since this room is called "community" I find it more ambiguous to understand wich threads are supposed to pop here. When it was called "online" it was perfectly clear: that was the matchmaking / league / clan forum.

Piggus

Hey guys, just thought I would share my first LBP2 level and actually my first REAL level in general. I made a crappy one in the LBP1 beta but I was just messing around. :p Hopefully people like this as I've spent about 35 hours on it (a lot of which was just trial and error learning how to do things properly.)

GoFastFTW LBP2 Edition

Description:

-- WELCOME TO CLUB GOFAST -- Make your way to the bottom of the course as quick as possible. Balance speed with precisely timed jumps to master the hill. In other words, you gotta go fast... FTW. Just don't get owned! This level is a throwback to my old MTA: San Andreas map. Intended for ONE PLAYER, though it works with multiple people with some issues. Those serious about setting a high score will need to complete a perfect run. See you at the bottom!

09881422eb2133bb33cd7ba8f16916eb7ef450c7.png

Bbutk.jpg

qfRfO.jpg

qSoqt.jpg

GpTsg.jpg

gUwv3.jpg

mCv0Y.jpg

cYBDT.jpg

I designed it to be as frustration free as possible. You can try as many times as you want and there's a checkpoint half-way down the track. It's not a very long level, but to get a high score the player will need to have a good idea of where the boxes are located and how to balance their speed/boost. For the first part of the run there's a limited amount of boost available. Fill up the boost gage, and the car explodes. You'll get a warning if you're close to filling it.

ijed

put up one of my levels - Still rough but getting there - Some feedback/ideas more than welcome
g106183-76edc00a.png

Jam of Doom
0ebd97066cda4baf1c0058dd196039aa5e282955.jpg

A horrible gelatinous blob has landed in Sackbot City, threatening to devour every last sack citizen (well they are very tasty...) Rescue as many bots as you can by throwing them into the teleporter - the survival of the sackosapien species is in your hands! [1-4 players] * An informal contribution to the 2011 Global Game Jam based on the theme "Extinction"

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Piggus said:
Hey guys, just thought I would share my first LBP2 level and actually my first REAL level in general. I made a crappy one in the LBP1 beta but I was just messing around. :p Hopefully people like this as I've spent about 35 hours on it (a lot of which was just trial and error learning how to do things properly.)

GoFastFTW LBP2 Edition

Description:

-- WELCOME TO CLUB GOFAST -- Make your way to the bottom of the course as quick as possible. Balance speed with precisely timed jumps to master the hill. In other words, you gotta go fast... FTW. Just don't get owned! This level is a throwback to my old MTA: San Andreas map. Intended for ONE PLAYER, though it works with multiple people with some issues. Those serious about setting a high score will need to complete a perfect run. See you at the bottom!

I designed it to be as frustration free as possible. You can try as many times as you want and there's a checkpoint half-way down the track. It's not a very long level, but to get a high score the player will need to have a good idea of where the boxes are located and how to balance their speed/boost. For the first part of the run there's a limited amount of boost available. Fill up the boost gage, and the car explodes. You'll get a warning if you're close to filling it.

I think you are on to something here it just needs a little more polish. I think gaf as a community we need a developer thread as well as a level thread. Can someone make a dev thread so we can talk about development? or should we do it all in here?

Ranger X

MThanded said:
I think you are on to something here it just needs a little more polish. I think gaf as a community we need a developer thread as well as a level thread. Can someone make a dev thread so we can talk about development? or should we do it all in here?

I always thought this should be the purpose of the other OT thread. Talking about the story mode and create mode make sense there. Could make sense here too but then it makes the thread harder to navigate in order to find recommendations.

wouwie

d5c767f02118b5469de99f2b2cc66237aa962ff4.png

Spice & Co
by: poms

Something is fishy in SPICE & CO. A prosperous spice industry or an evil weapon factory?

http://lbp.me/v/rf1x4d

2811a48c15386634dd643bd821cef2c3dbb19a69.png

The Miracle of Life
by: poms

Take "500.000.001" to reach his destiny, and make THE MIRACLE OF LIFE come true.

http://lbp.me/v/sh8j-m

Both levels are amongst my favourite user levels so far. Spice & Co looks great and has fun gameplay. Could have been an MM story level.

The Miracle of Life is probably my favourite level so far. It looks gorgeous, has a lot of atmosphere and it just looks so consistent and well made. Could maybe have done with a bit more challenging gameplay. My favourite moment is when you hang on to the creature that walks on the ceiling.

Also, all other levels from poms are all worth checking out.

b5a32f469605438fcaef7c2e37c25946da83c752.png

The Magical Forest
by: ALS_TheGamer

http://lbp.me/v/tw8wvt

Looks lovely and is fun to play.

Ranger X

fd310855fc7c86f830f8ca1564b30d6839589441.png

Deliver me from Eve: Carcosa City Gate
by: pickled-punk
(adventure)

I am impressed that people are already getting there! This guy just started an adventure game of some sort here (didn't play through it all yet) with a hub world and sub locations. Right now you can explore 2 sub locations and seems like he planned for 3 others. I will definetely get back to it and try to solve/do more stuff in the levels.

http://lbp.me/v/w0w4vw

6c1312e8eeb234a90c4b440ce6c99e66975d1ddd.jpg
a7fbdead0ed99b196fef482e0968022f562eea43.jpg

4725522c39898a8277d4998a2e7025c263e4edd3.jpg
66954703b5f5471509f84d322add9126aba4fa97.jpg

As for the sub locations so far, it's possible to enter them directly...

f17767df5ac5f7fe0b392a50f8ec55b3f301f1cb.png

Deliver me from Eve: Adventurers District
http://lbp.me/v/wvwx7w

f375e4d79b6b50ad73c99993ae641120b58af0f2.png

Deliver me from Eve: The Moolah Nightmarket
http://lbp.me/v/wqtwv9

:)

Adamm

Piggus said:

GoFastFTW LBP2 Edition

Description:

09881422eb2133bb33cd7ba8f16916eb7ef450c7.png

Bbutk.jpg

qfRfO.jpg

qSoqt.jpg

GpTsg.jpg

gUwv3.jpg

mCv0Y.jpg

cYBDT.jpg

Played this level yesterday.

I found it really difficult, I seemed to spend all my time keeping the car straight & kept missing the jumps :(

But then again i could just be a bit rubbish

I'd like to pimp one of my creations

Tenchu - Sackbot assassins

by: carno_US

It's basically a ninja themed level full of deadly sackbot's, in fact they were too deadly and I had to dumb them down a bit. I was toying with sackbots and wanted to see what I could came up with. They behave exactly as you'd expect:

- They can only see you if you are in front of them
- Can't see trough walls
- Can't see you if they are patroling and you hide behind bushes
- Three states, patroling, attacking and searching
- If a sackbot sees you, they'll shout and bearby sackbots will come to aid
- Long and short range attacks

EDIT: added link

0a9d440ee19a3f3546b90c01255194ec1eee28f6.jpg
076e444d87a70ba626a1de7f5162287133673525.jpg
240a8dbe629d9d9608cad0e8322953b35089abaf.jpg

MThanded

BomberMouse said:
I'd like to pimp one of my creations

c125e966c5064b128e17498b6bb84997ede042e5.png

Tenchu - Sackbot assassins
by: carno_US

It's basically a ninja themed level full of deadly sackbot's, in fact they were too deadly and I had to dumb them down a bit. I was toying with sackbots and wanted to see what I could came up with. They behave exactly as you'd expect:

- They can only see you if you are in front of them
- Can't see trough walls
- Can't see you if they are patroling and you hide behind bushes
- Three states, patroling, attacking and searching
- If a sackbot sees you, they'll shout and bearby sackbots will come to aid
- Long and short range attacks

Where is a link to the level. Sounds interesting

Remf

quick question, is anyone on Raphael's friends list? He made some of the best levels in the beta, but it looks like he/she hasn't bought LBP 1 or 2. Damn shame if you ask me so someone needs to buy him this game asap!

Ranger X

You can reach him by PSN messages without him being in your friendlist.

XMB - Messages - Create message - Enter PSN ID

Pancho

Qurupancho
So yeah anyone got tips/guide on how to make health bars? And how to make the camera follow a controlinated sackbot? I've got a few ideas and it involves some of that.

Pancho said:
So yeah anyone got tips/guide on how to make health bars? And how to make the camera follow a controlinated sackbot? I've got a few ideas and it involves some of that.

Put the camera on the sackbot's microchip?

Pancho

Qurupancho
Has anyone seen the Cause and Effect mini films? The last one that the guy did got picked by Mm. Pretty amazing stuff, just shows you the powerful physics engine this game has.

5760b99b2bb07b3f0bd740cdc9b99d473ca9a55a.png

http://lbp.me/v/wesdyg

This is the fifth and final Cause And Effect. There's a twist to this entry: only physics are used. No buttons, switches or pistons. Just gravity and inertia. Hope you enjoy.

r1chard

Pancho said:
Has anyone seen the Cause and Effect mini films? The last one that the guy did got picked by Mm. Pretty amazing stuff, just shows you the powerful physics engine this game has.

5760b99b2bb07b3f0bd740cdc9b99d473ca9a55a.png

This is the fifth and final Cause And Effect. There's a twist to this entry: only physics are used. No buttons, switches or pistons. Just gravity and inertia. Hope you enjoy.
Oh, cool, I love these levels. Nice to see people are making them for LBP2 as well :)

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Finally contributing to this community. My first level:

Faux City.

I wanted to create a platformer. Short and easy while playing around with the bouncepad and grabble hook. No real goals for a first except playing around with mechanics.

Ranger X

Thrakier said:
Played it, perfect example why LBP2 doesn't work for me that good. It's impressive to see that made in LBP2, sure. But really, imagine it's a standalone PSN titel for 1,99€. No one would buy this crap.

But that's the thing. There's multiple kind of interesting community content. There is the normal content, great to play, mostly platformers and of quite mindblowing quality. There's actually a ton of that.

From time to time you find that puzzle game or shooter or whatever other "non platforming" level that is actually working great and is fun. But those are rarer than platformer levels.

Lastly, you see those technical feats, those levels only made to push boundaries and experiment with the tools. Those are rare mostly not playable if you look at them with any other eyes and what I just said.

If you take that "technical feat" level (that is already an exception) and think that this is the game or again that it represents the community stuff, this is where you're incredibly wrong.... and missing hundreds of perfectly playable and awesome "normal" levels that can even surpass what Media Molecule offers in their "story mode".

MThanded

Anybody have ideas on how to make my level more exciting/more engaging. Overall it is fairly empty and does not have a lot of character. I want to fix that, but I am not sure what I should do to make it more interesting while you are driving. I try to let the mechanics and the racing speak for themselves.

MThanded

kinoki said:
Finally contributing to this community. My first level:

Faux City.

I wanted to create a platformer. Short and easy while playing around with the bouncepad and grabble hook. No real goals for a first except playing around with mechanics.

I see you played my level. I was wondering if you had any ideas about how to make it more engaging and less sparse. I know that is definitely a problem and the lack of polish will keep it from being praiseworthy.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
MThanded said:
I see you played my level. I was wondering if you had any ideas about how to make it more engaging and less sparse. I know that is definitely a problem and the lack of polish will keep it from being praiseworthy.

I did. :)

Well, my suggestion would be selecting a theme. Say desert, à la Motorstorm. Throw some catusus in there. Have some stray animals who you can hit for extra points. Some camera-work for the bigger jumps. This is just a theme and there are tons more out there to explore. I'm sure that you'll do great things, you seem commited to the monster truck mechanics so it's only a matter of time.

Speevy

Banned
I have a question that might have been covered at some point over the past several months.

I tried out the recording option for kicks last night, and made myself singing a song. But I noticed that one recording stops when you trigger another.

Would it be possible to somehow trick the system into two characters singing in harmony with each other?

MThanded

kinoki said:
I did. :)

Well, my suggestion would be selecting a theme. Say desert, à la Motorstorm. Throw some catusus in there. Have some stray animals who you can hit for extra points. Some camera-work for the bigger jumps. This is just a theme and there are tons more out there to explore. I'm sure that you'll do great things, you seem commited to the monster truck mechanics so it's only a matter of time.

Yeah I will work on the camera work later today. When i started this level the initial theme was a desert level and I really should look back at motorstorm for some inspiration. I ended up working on making it colorful rather than realistic.

kinoki

MThanded said:
Yeah I will work on the camera work later today. When i started this level the initial theme was a desert level and I really should look back at motorstorm for some inspiration. I ended up working on making it colorful rather than realistic.

Well, Motorstorm is one of my favorite new IPs of the generation so if you manage to pull off a cute sackboyesque version of that I'll be more than happy playtesting the shit out of it. :)

Ranger X

Stampy said:
So does it mean we are going to have to play the level again and again from the beginning as new chapters are added. Hmm, I'd rather wait for the final version. :/

No, he gives a password after each chapter. You can enter the password at the title screen.

Ranger X

f21277041fcf34ed3182a00e38c8c080589f113a.png

Zen Mastermind
by: Elijah_Caine

I am not a huge fan of mini-games but I like them when they are original and when they work. That's exactly the case here. When is the last time you played a mastermind mini-game in LittleBigPlanet? Answer is probably "never". The game is a tad hard but its well done.

http://lbp.me/v/wyzs7y

Have fun :)

OchreHand

Ranger X said:
f21277041fcf34ed3182a00e38c8c080589f113a.png

Zen Mastermind
by: Elijah_Caine

I am not a huge fan of mini-games but I like them when they are original and when they work. That's exactly the case here. When is the last time you played a mastermind mini-game in LittleBigPlanet? Answer is probably "never". The game is a tad hard but its well done.

http://lbp.me/v/wyzs7y

Have fun :)

That is freaking awesome. I especially love the way the screen and music changes when you reach "zen mode"

8dc1bd0002b548448519cba0264acdcf996b4708.png

8-BIT: Side/Top Down Platfomer
By: jump_button

http://lbp.me/v/xgh6jv

A 8-bit style platfomer turned on it side, platfom from side to top down.

The art style is 8-bit and is what I did my deviantart submission for the contest. A mix of alot of thing I did in the beta, Iv not tested with more then one player so, I try making it four player but couldnt/didnt work out.

42d04aa6d9fef48c4d0bfa9590ac77c6e88dc82a.jpg

10e6f5d2d12799fa445b08036a1c03736fada2b7.jpg

ijed

g68375-ced0ecd9.png

the last sackguy v1.0
http://lbp.me/v/xhv2h1

Concept for a Retro-style version of 'The Last Guy' - Thanks to leesmapman (dr_jones) for the theme :)
d5088c4a9c7e7f43c14cfe337cface3fd507a60f.jpg

Want to make smarter/more enemies, a boost button and some more levels.

Ranger X

f2a8e629f8b09d19a6545c7461cd4e4942649563.png

Beat Factory
By: Camden1
(Platformer / Music)

This level has been my obsession tonight. The guy created a pure (and hard) platformer but with a twist. First, everything moves according the beat of the song. Second, you control a modified character with its own jump. This level is also a good showcase of the new "silhouette material", sort of a filter to create a unique style. So go split your hair into two now --- it's worth it.

http://lbp.me/v/w6htn7

d9426340cb583d5fbadc3b4f6ffd4f9fe49335a7.jpg
640dd1794aece9b31005bba4748676b9747808ba.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Pancho said:

http://i6.lbp.me/img/bl/5760b99b2bb07b3f0bd740cdc9b99d473ca9a55a.png

I have the creator on my friends list. He made them in LBP1 but republished them to 2 because "the colors and stuff was off" when playing them in 2. He didn't know they killed the ability to play it in 1 if republished in 2, despite using nothing new in 2. :/

I'm surprised 5 got MM picked, but good for Triple for getting picked again.

Ranger X

TheSeks said:
I have the creator on my friends list. He made them in LBP1 but republished them to 2 because "the colors and stuff was off" when playing them in 2. He didn't know they killed the ability to play it in 1 if republished in 2, despite using nothing new in 2. :/

I'm surprised 5 got MM picked, but good for Triple for getting picked again.

?? publishing your level in LBP2 doesn't cancel you LBP1 one. You have 40 slots available on the server, 20 for each game. What he might have done though is OVERWRITING his LBP1 level with the LBP2 version. The game let's you stupidly do that...

jayb

jump_button said:
8-BIT: Side/Top Down Platfomer
By: jump_button

http://lbp.me/v/xgh6jv

A 8-bit style platfomer turned on it side, platfom from side to top down.

The art style is 8-bit and is what I did my deviantart submission for the contest. A mix of alot of thing I did in the beta, Iv not tested with more then one player so, I try making it four player but couldnt/didnt work out.

yeah, I played this with two players last night and it would only let one of us on the controlinator/side sections at a time.

It's a good concept, otherwise. nice job.

Ranger X said:
f2a8e629f8b09d19a6545c7461cd4e4942649563.png

Beat Factory
By: Camden1
(Platformer / Music)

This level has been my obsession tonight. The guy created a pure (and hard) platformer but with a twist. First, everything moves according the beat of the song. Second, you control a modified character with its own jump. This level is also a good showcase of the new "silhouette material", sort of a filter to create a unique style. So go split your hair into two now --- it's worth it.

http://lbp.me/v/w6htn7
This level is amazing, Ranger. So good, plus I've never seen anyone implement this guy's skill-based scoring method (start with 5000 points, lose 100 every time you die). After a few tries I managed a score of 4300. I notice you didn't actually finish it :p. Where'd you give up? The level's not that long, but the last section caused me quite a few deaths on my first playthrough.

I'd cross-post this level to the main thread, more people should see it.

Ranger X

I was dying at the part with the moving platform and from wich you over cogs while there are plasma balls shot a you. lol

Top Bottom