• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| - The Community Levels Thread

TelemachusD said:
This level is amazing, Ranger. So good, plus I've never seen anyone implement this guy's skill-based scoring method (start with 5000 points, lose 100 every time you die). After a few tries I managed a score of 4300. I notice you didn't actually finish it :p. Where'd you give up? The level's not that long, but the last section caused me quite a few deaths on my first playthrough.

I'd cross-post this level to the main thread, more people should see it.

One of the best platforming levels I've EVER played, unbelievable. Its hard but fair in a Demons souls type way, it lookis amazing, he even played around with the gravity (first time I've played a level with this) and added a sprint to square, mario style. This is the epitome of LBP2.

I also played Jumps level, pretty rad although I did manage to cheat a bit where you have to traverse sideways while jumping. I seemed to hit mid air but jammed on the X and made it through where I should have died. Still a great level, as is that puzzle game (fucking amazing).

Thrakier

Lion Heart said:
One of the best platforming levels I've EVER played, unbelievable. Its hard but fair in a Demons souls type way, it lookis amazing, he even played around with the gravity (first time I've played a level with this) and added a sprint to square, mario style. This is the epitome of LBP2.

I also played Jumps level, pretty rad although I did manage to cheat a bit where you have to traverse sideways while jumping. I seemed to hit mid air but jammed on the X and made it through where I should have died. Still a great level, as is that puzzle game (fucking amazing).

I thought the level was horrible. The whole music thing didn't work out (the rythm has to align to the players movement, not to movement of the objects), it was way too hard and sometimes you couldn't see shit. Just no fun.

iratA

0943e6f4f9879adc1c7d6fa4d81879dd3ab041b4.png

Posted this before, but has been updated since. Also finally have some pics now.
Hidden Underground Base V2.3
By Mesmerised
Add/Find it here: http://lbp.me/v/wwx1xr

hub2.jpg

hub1.jpg

A lovely 8-bit style platforming level that doesn't infringe on Nintendo's copyrights?! Right now the boss is too hard, but it's still extremely well made.

d3e5e562ba9a0b190bc63702e200cffad749f8cd.png

Bunchy's Adventure (a pixel platformer)
By: Mr_Hijinx

http://lbp.me/v/xmf8gx

An 8 bit treat! Jump, collect gems, and stomp on enemies to reach Harvey the GM tomato and put an end to his reign of terror. Move with the D pad and jump with X. Deflect Crow-woes at Harvey by stomping them to damage it. 1 PLAYER ONLY!

00fbaad38ef20639b3735d217dc8e5a6664417f2.jpg

403d964521814f5af8080a40af36eaa488d296b5.jpg

Ranger X

NIIIIICE, HIjinx was doing pixel stuff like that in the beta. It's nice to see a level from him now. I will queue that for sure!!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
peetfeet said:
My effort, not in the same league as most here but give it a play please, cheers.

Rock n Roller Time

6d311edaf78541331b20e9fb218ce3f61ffcc40f.jpg

Good level, as I said in my review of your level, you need to work on improving the framerate. I died because of it. I'd also try and tweak the gravity settings to make the jumps more accurate, the floaty controls doesn't really suit a level like this.

But apart from that a very good level. Reminded me that I have to try and make a good score challange level.

Ranger X

12dc20c73c3fe4ffe796a806d3fdbb3c828da151.png

Poultry Panic
by: The_Pencil_Rain
(platformer)

This level is so good! Not the prettiest around but the guy created a very nice pace, good gameplay, a fun sidekick to sackboy and most of all ---- it's the first time I am playing a community level in LBP2 where having a couple of cut-scenes and a story is actually making the level BETTER. There's also of care put in that level, it's really worth it to play in it's entirely. Did I mentionned it's also the "perfect difficulty" imo? Not easy and never overly hard (infinite checkpoints anyways). You have to play that. Needless to say, the screens don't it justice...

http://lbp.me/v/xnnn23

d62046afacbdd23f024156232e62d3e1bd817d1a.jpg
3d135f3d03f327946549f92d95777008f8bbf475.jpg

c89276c9d520033863bc5d4114d329b1e1708785.jpg

:)

Yay, it's done!

710aae8723bc5e9fa1dd0d67863e722cb5b2f3a7.png

The Fist of Craft Earth
http://lbp.me/v/xt6jj6

YSVX5.jpg

dvwN1.jpg

xhUEq.jpg

zxveH.jpg

CnaDm.jpg

Some of you might have seen this level before from the beta, but it's been brought back to life in full form! If you've ever played a God of War/Dynasty Warriors/Devil May Cry type game before, hopefully you'll feel right at home with this level. :moody:

The goal was to see if I could bring that same level of action to LBP2 and here's to hoping I've reached a little bit of that same magic as those action games bring to the players out there.

- It has sharks, zombies, dinosaurs, and even a gigantic metal octopus!
- Pull off insane combos and see if you can reach 99 hits!
- Nutty special attacks and full screen supers!
- Beast Grip action similar to Devil May Cry 4's devil bringer
- Regenerative health

The youtube is still uploading, so I'll post when it's done. Hope you guys like it!

And Poultry Panic is awesome sauce.

wouwie

675b88c4c0bedd3d715a24dc891ace8e027b77b9.png

Industrial Platforms
by: ATMLVE

The worlds largest platforms industry is also a very dangerous place. Funny... the place doesnt actually MAKE platforms, it just has them scattered everywhere with a layout perfect for a sack person to have a fun and slightly challenging adventure.

http://lbp.me/v/xqpb0v

I already posted this in the main OT, but just learned that I was supposed to do it here.

Learned a lot from making this level. And luckily, one of my mates wanted to help out.

e34a2ff6eff6b4c297704f4c2053413453efefff.png

Back to Helghan
By: Caemgen
Link: http://lbp.me/v/xkhydj

First, you'll get the intro (prelude).

Screens:

179a2042b8a60104d6ecc466de06a7b5fa3fa0cb.jpg

efa9f5103c56be293c09bb9de067b329af60233b.jpg

789e8d2e82cc28cae6eb73b0c45d43d46530abd9.jpg

Then on to the game itself. I build in a complete menu:
- Play Now
- Prelude (watch intro)
- Tutorial (learn to play)

The game is much like Doodle Jump / Abduction... You control the character with the Sixaxis Motion Sensor and go from platform to platform. For every hit platform, you get points. After you hit a platform, it'll disappear shortly after. There are power-ups as well, which will take you up faster if you jump into them.

Screens:

549710cf6a27ca19efacdab4b5d378f5a5084457.jpg

b8406f8b7c7772697c64652fdc8fdf3e0e27801b.jpg

d6747b88fb7f630cb574d8ba7abc4b0f5eaa5438.jpg

fd22a1a6a924779de1057a67e4b64a9d2dfbf2a3.jpg

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Soon done with my second level. Polished the structure a bit and applied the larger details. Will get back to finishing it this week, I think. Got the finale left to construct and then the general playtesting with the gf, fixing camera issues and fine-tuning the platforms.

I've really learned a ton making this level. The next one (been thinking about some ideas) will be alot better technically.

Torillian

Neo Member
Ranger X said:
12dc20c73c3fe4ffe796a806d3fdbb3c828da151.png

Poultry Panic
by: The_Pencil_Rain
(platformer)

This level is so good! Not the prettiest around but the guy created a very nice pace, good gameplay, a fun sidekick to sackboy and most of all ---- it's the first time I am playing a community level in LBP2 where having a couple of cut-scenes and a story is actually making the level BETTER. There's also of care put in that level, it's really worth it to play in it's entirely. Did I mentionned it's also the "perfect difficulty" imo? Not easy and never overly hard (infinite checkpoints anyways). You have to play that. Needless to say, the screens don't it justice...

http://lbp.me/v/xnnn23

:)

Man I just played this while going through my queue and it has to be one of the best levels I've ever played, I loved the characterization even though noone said and word, the ending was surprisingly touching and the gameplay was almost perfect with only a few hitches here or there.

Please play this game and give it the kind of attention it really deserves.

edit: oh and while I'm here thanks alot Ranger for making this thread, it's great for queuing up a few levels while at work.

Torillian

Neo Member
magicaltrevor said:
I already posted this in the main OT, but just learned that I was supposed to do it here.

Learned a lot from making this level. And luckily, one of my mates wanted to help out.

e34a2ff6eff6b4c297704f4c2053413453efefff.png

Back to Helghan
By: Caemgen
Link: http://lbp.me/v/xkhydj

I really like the concept but I wish you had chosen a different control scheme, just seemed so unwieldy to control with the six axis instead of the left analog.

Torillian said:
I really like the concept but I wish you had chosen a different control scheme, just seemed so unwieldy to control with the six axis instead of the left analog.

Thanks. And well, yeah, perhaps the controls may be a bit hard, but judging by your score you managed just fine. ;-)

It's inspired by an iPhone/Android game: Doodle Jump, which also uses the gyro for the controls. It's true that these phones are more accurate, but I feel the Sixaxis works just fine.

I've been thinking about doing a version where you use the left stick though. But that one should be infinite and I have no clue about how I should do that. Emitters?

STG

g97411-1741b2f5.png

BadgerBadgerBadger: Attacke der Sackdachse

Me and my friend played a little around and made a little Multiplayer Level.
You have to defend your own little "base" from the badgers by moving the left stick up and down.
It is still an early build but we had our fun. Maybe someone wants to try it out and leave some feedback if there is something not working or if you have ideas for improvement.

Best played with 2 - 4 Players

c1b5de19bdebc6ce7fd2eb56fce7c83421ea5723.jpg

e9f27a9f80fe8787b80377bec01a8973dd3e1f82.jpg

URL: http://lbp.me/v/xve4gv

magicaltrevor said:
I've been thinking about doing a version where you use the left stick though. But that one should be infinite and I have no clue about how I should do that. Emitters?
You just answered your own question. =)

donkey show said:
You just answered your own question. =)

I imagined it would've been something like that, but I don't know where to start... because, well, when the sackbot is jumping, he'll climb in height.

If I had to make a running train with a looping background, the train would just remain at it's place and I could put movers on several set pieces on the back layer that move to the left and get emitted every x seconds.

But the sackbot is jumping, so ultimately, he'll get to the top of the level-canvas, right?

Perhaps you could be so kind to play my level donkey show, and share some ideas/pointers on how to make it endless? It would be highly appreciated!

magicaltrevor said:
I imagined it would've been something like that, but I don't know where to start... because, well, when the sackbot is jumping, he'll climb in height.

If I had to make a running train with a looping background, the train would just remain at it's place and I could put movers on several set pieces on the back layer that move to the left and get emitted every x seconds.

But the sackbot is jumping, so ultimately, he'll get to the top of the level-canvas, right?

Perhaps you could be so kind to play my level donkey show, and share some ideas/pointers on how to make it endless? It would be highly appreciated!
Well, it's all about positioning and scale. Let's say we split up your current level into 8 with section 1 being the lowest point and section 8 being the top border of the level height.

[9 <-extreme top of stage
[8 <-emitted sections
[7 <-player should not pass
[6 |
[5 |
[4 |
[3 | - player space
[2 <- player should not pass this area
[1 <-section destroyed
[0 <-bottom of the stage

Since we're trying to build a sense of constant movement, your idea with the train is similar, but obviously the level sections are falling down instead of scrolling sideways. The key is having the sections drop at a constant speed that's both reasonable to the player, but fast enough so that the player doesn't hot shot his/her way to the emitted areas. Although using gravity would be okay, I would suggest using a mover to make sure the areas fall at a certain speed and then dissolve when they hit section 1. Hopefully that helps a little.

kinoki

Sackboy versus the Cardboard Creator
http://lbp.me/v/xxzq0n

Finally, my second level is released. There might still be some rough spots that I have to work through. Going back today (no work) and replay it a couple of times to see if I notice anything that needs to be ironed out.

Any criticism would be nice. 2nd level published and all. Still alot of learning to be done.

Thought I'd throw some screenshots in here (just figured out this function):

c8eb1f5783b80922e5cc41cd620c509d9f373f37.jpg

fc682f3aa1510754fca66e8132dd32ff6a4b7c8a.jpg

donkey show said:
Well, it's all about positioning and scale. Let's say we split up your current level into 8 with section 1 being the lowest point and section 8 being the top border of the level height.

[9 <-extreme top of stage
[8 <-emitted sections
[7 <-player should not pass
[6 |
[5 |
[4 |
[3 | - player space
[2 <- player should not pass this area
[1 <-section destroyed
[0 <-bottom of the stage

Since we're trying to build a sense of constant movement, your idea with the train is similar, but obviously the level sections are falling down instead of scrolling sideways. The key is having the sections drop at a constant speed that's both reasonable to the player, but fast enough so that the player doesn't hot shot his/her way to the emitted areas. Although using gravity would be okay, I would suggest using a mover to make sure the areas fall at a certain speed and then dissolve when they hit section 1. Hopefully that helps a little.

Awesome! Thank you for your help. It makes sense now. I'll try this method ASAP and show you the results here. ^^

Torillian

Neo Member
Had some levels suggested to me in N4G and thought you guys might appreciate them.

Moon Lander http://lbp.me/v/w3qk7n
Moon Lander 2 http://lbp.me/v/xtvv0j

it's one of those classic moon lander type games where you have to fight gravity and keep from touching any walls or you'll explode, the second one has some cool ideas on coop with areas that only one player or the other can pass through. I played through the first and have only touched the second momentarily.

d272ae34ab4e371e23ee7dbc1753373a196febcc.jpg

Teknoman

So how far are we off from the next NeoGAF collaboration?

Dont want to beat the subject into the ground, but with true top-down camera orientation and Sack bots/music creator...Super LBC should be no problem at all. Then again i'm biased since i'm a really big Contra fan.

superc13.gif

Ranger X

Torillian said:
Had some levels suggested to me in N4G and thought you guys might appreciate them.

Moon Lander http://lbp.me/v/w3qk7n
Moon Lander 2 http://lbp.me/v/xtvv0j

it's one of those classic moon lander type games where you have to fight gravity and keep from touching any walls or you'll explode, the second one has some cool ideas on coop with areas that only one player or the other can pass through. I played through the first and have only touched the second momentarily.

d272ae34ab4e371e23ee7dbc1753373a196febcc.jpg

Ok those 2 levels are absolutely fantastic! You guys should really play that.

Hansel & Gretelbot LEVELS ARE OUT

PS blog

Hi guys! Some cool nuggets of LittleBigPlanet news to start your weekend off nicely…

Firstly, a game update for LittleBigPlanet 2 was released earlier this week. Codenamed ‘Cupcake’, it fixes a number of issues that were making some players’ experience of LBP 2 insufficiently Sack-tastic. Head over here for a full list of updates

5454367224_1f24ff37a7.jpg

Last week we shared some cool news about “Hansel & Gretelbot” – a community-made level pack for LBP 2. Well, here’s some more cool news about “Hansel & Gretelbot” – it’s all ready for you to start playing! Here’s Spaff from Media Molecule with more details…

The Community made Level Pack Hansel and Gretelbot is out now! For those who didn’t see it last week, Hansel & Gretelbot is a completely community made pack of 7 playable levels, furnished with a full story, cut scenes, voice acting, original score, and lots of prizes to collect too! It’s a might achievement, and hopefully one that will inspire others to do the same.

It’s completely free and no need to download, just head over to this LBP.me page and queue up the first level!

http://lbp.me/u/Hansel_Gretelbot

The H&G team put together this set of awesome wallpapers to download for your PS3, plus you can read an interview with some of the creators over on LittleBigLand, where you can also download a fourth wallpaper!

On behalf of the guys, we hope you enjoy Hansel and Gretelbot, and please join us in congratulating them on their creation. May there be many more to come!

Congratulations to the whole Hansel & Gretelbot team on creating something so impressive and ambitious – it’s an amazing example of what’s possible in LittleBigPlanet 2. I hope you all have fun playing it!

Long time lurker, first time poster! I've been on top of this thread since the beginning and it's kept my level queue full, so now I hope to contribute as well.

c62fbb89fd84107feb4ca3228fef161095b8a91b.png

Jungle Adventure
http://lbp.me/v/xffs2v

cf6540c379956622a437f66e21dda6650875cc6c.jpg

d85098f85fb4fda677f2aecc9633a0ba94ea1496.jpg

01441011dc8ef710d0f2d714e5b78027dceb6d7c.jpg

I published this a few weeks ago, but it's momentum seems to have died and I'd really like some feedback on it. I made some levels in LBP1 before, but nothing near to this really.

It's pretty short, but I'd like to hear what people think about it.

Torillian

Neo Member
Andvary said:
My first creation :)

2a48f10542627553837e145130aed7dac9ab54d5.png

The Sackboy In the Mirror

http://lbp.me/v/x1mvtb

I like the idea of the level, and putting yourself in the level was cute. Could use some fleshing out in general. Perhaps some further danger elements while running away like bombs (supposedly thrown by the chaser) or something like that.

Andvary

Torillian said:
I like the idea of the level, and putting yourself in the level was cute. Could use some fleshing out in general. Perhaps some further danger elements while running away like bombs (supposedly thrown by the chaser) or something like that.

Thanks for playing and the feedback =)

Top Bottom