• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 3 |OT| #4TheLayers

curb

Banned
Do you have screenshots? Deleting mine fixed it, online hasn't been a problem but I havent' actually been playing with others online either.

You mean screenshots within the game itself? I don't think so. I'll have a look tonight though. Thanks.

Since the last patch I've barely been able to play without the game being offline. Is anyone else having this problem?

Had to play offline too, otherwise it would just load forever. Fuck this game. I was a huge LBP fan and this is bullshit. Pop ups saying 'would you like to join other' => yes! => 'sorry doesnt work'... then infinite loading. close application. Plays Geometry Wars instead

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Is it still possible to get the Plush edition or were they only for pre-orders?

Picked up a copy at Bestbuy yesterday and even though their site shows an image of the Plush Edition, it's labeled as the Day One and all they had in store was Day One editions.

...I just want children toys.

curb

Banned
Had to play offline too, otherwise it would just load forever. Fuck this game. I was a huge LBP fan and this is bullshit. Pop ups saying 'would you like to join other' => yes! => 'sorry doesnt work'... then infinite loading. close application. Plays Geometry Wars instead

It reminds me of the original LBP launch. I'm sure they'll work it out eventually but I'm disappointed too because I've been really enjoying what I've played so far.

Also, I wish I could get into Geometry Wars 3 more. I loved 2 but this one just isn't doing it for me. Sorry, that's off topic.

SerTapTap

I actually don't recall having much issue with LBP1 at launch...I THINK I got it at launch anyway. Played it for days.

You mean screenshots within the game itself? I don't think so. I'll have a look tonight though. Thanks.

No just standard PS4 capture gallery. I was crashing at startup and since screenshots were causing issues with the popit I thought why not, copied all my screenshots to USB and deleted them from the PS4. Suddenly it boots. I had another crash last night but played for an hour or two without issue.

curb

Banned
I actually don't recall having much issue with LBP1 at launch...I THINK I got it at launch anyway. Played it for days.

No just standard PS4 capture gallery. I was crashing at startup and since screenshots were causing issues with the popit I thought why not, copied all my screenshots to USB and deleted them from the PS4. Suddenly it boots. I had another crash last night but played for an hour or two without issue.

I'm assuming you mean all PS4 screens, not just LBP shots?

It reminds me of the original LBP launch. I'm sure they'll work it out eventually but I'm disappointed too because I've been really enjoying what I've played so far.

Also, I wish I could get into Geometry Wars 3 more. I loved 2 but this one just isn't doing it for me. Sorry, that's off topic.

Past the first boss it gets better and better I think (GW3)

SerTapTap

I'm assuming you mean all PS4 screens, not just LBP shots?

Yeah, it seems to access all of 'em. I was getting popit lag before I even had LBP shots, and I only had 3 LBP shots when I was getting the crash issue. Note I take hundreds of screenshots, I have no idea how low the threshold for issues is.

Haxxona

Banned
Yeah, it seems to access all of 'em. I was getting popit lag before I even had LBP shots, and I only had 3 LBP shots when I was getting the crash issue. Note I take hundreds of screenshots, I have no idea how low the threshold for issues is.
It sure as hell did lag a bit when I came over 10 before the patch.

curb

Banned

That seems like a super weird issue. Worth a try though since I've got a bunch of levels in my queue ready to try. I bet I've only got about 50 screens so I'll copy them off tonight and see if it helps.

Teknoman

I havent had any issues just yet (jumped into the lagoon the other day) but I didnt play any actual stages from that world, so maybe that's where it'll happen?

curb

Banned
What a weird issue. I deleted all my PS4 screenshots and now I'm not having any of the loading issues that prevented levels from loading. Popit comes up nice and quick now too.

onken

Played this for a few hours.
-the cutscenes go on way too long
-bitterly disappointed at the 30fps, I know it's to keep compatibility but really this was probably a good opportunity to hit the reset button. Maybe hand-port a few of the more community stages and that's it
-speaking of which I tried to play one my old levels and it didn't work, loading screen stuck for almost 10 minutes until I force-quit
-loading is frequent and takes a long time.
-the load screens are also blinding white with yellow highlighted text making it almost impossible to read
-they probably put too many gadgets etc. in the campaign - my gf was getting a bit bewildered by it which is too bad because we had a great time playing LBP1 and 2
+it's LittleBigPlanet and has all the charm it always had
+four player local co-op
+level building looks vast and complicated, love it

SerTapTap

-bitterly disappointed at the 30fps, I know it's to keep compatibility but really this was probably a good opportunity to hit the reset button. Maybe hand-port a few of the more community stages and that's it

Actually IIRC the 30FPS is because of the PS3 version not necessarily because of backwards compatibility, so LBP4 may be 60 FPS. I was expecting better AA on the PS4 version since they couldn't do 60FPS, it's not too amazing though.

I haven't seen the yellow highlight text. Not sure if the patch changed this, but yeah yellow on white is no.

It sure as hell did lag a bit when I came over 10 before the patch.

I think it lagged at a linear scale to how many screenshots you had--I noticed a teensy bit of lag even after a few screenshots, but at first I had >30 seconds of lockup every time I opened the poppit.

HF2014

Question. Fan of the 1 and 2 here, but read the review that its a bit dissapointed, got some bigs. But want to know, is it enjoyable anyway? I mean fun to play as the first 2? Might want to grab it.

SerTapTap

Question. Fan of the 1 and 2 here, but read the review that its a bit dissapointed, got some bigs. But want to know, is it enjoyable anyway? I mean fun to play as the first 2? Might want to grab it.

LBP has a problem in which every game is better than the last, but reviews worse because novelty is (to an unreasonable extent) expected after the first game. The game has bugs (mostly fixed it seems), and the 30 FPS is a bit disappointing, but as a controller-based game creator nothing else can touch it and the story levels are quite fun. Due to bugs I'm finally free of I haven't played as much as I hoped to so far, but aside from sheer novelty I'd say the game is beating LBP1 and 2 so far.

curb

Banned

I really enjoyed 1, 2 and Vita and so far, 3 seems right up there for me. Now that my loading issue is sorted out, I'm having a great time. I'm not much of a creator either but I'm having fun just playing the story and community levels.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Heads up, the store update today added a lot of the old level packs.

If someone has the camera for PS4 and the move pack, I'd love running through those levels with 'em sometime. Haven't had the opportunity to pick me up the PS4 camera. It's unfortunate that I need it again to get the stuff from the level pack.

SerTapTap

Heads up, the store update today added a lot of the old level packs.

If someone has the camera for PS4 and the move pack, I'd love running through those levels with 'em sometime. Haven't had the opportunity to pick me up the PS4 camera. It's unfortunate that I need it again to get the stuff from the level pack.

I own Prehistoric Moves, is the move pack different? I do have the PS4 camera

pupcoffee

With a controllinator, perhaps? Or can you describe what you want to accomplish with a little more detail?

I know how to control a sackbot with a controlinator while playing as default sackboy, but I'm talking about a sackbot that I've made and saved as a character that you're playing as from the beginning. I need to add a new L1 function to it somehow. I'm guessing the controllinator needs to be placed in its own circuit but I'm not sure how to connect it.

Creaking

I know how to control a sackbot with a controlinator while playing as default sackboy, but I'm talking about a sackbot that I've made and saved as a character that you're playing as from the beginning. I need to add a new L1 function to it somehow. I'm guessing the controllinator needs to be placed in its own circuit but I'm not sure how to connect it.

Make it a receiver, and then make it controlled by nearest player.

I own Prehistoric Moves, is the move pack different? I do have the PS4 camera

Yeah, the move pack was an add-on level kit, rather than a standalone thing like Prehistoric Moves.

Regardless, I'm going to be too busy to play anything until Friday afternoon. Tons of finals this week.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I haven't played LBP since part 1, are the jumping "floaty" mechanics really much better?

Better, but still floaty.

I never saw it as a cons tho...

-------------------------
I have never had such a hard time trying to CO-OP with randoms in LBP before as in this game.

Between time-outs and refusals (like 80% of the results) and crappy (if not broken) match-matching, online CO-OP is almost unplayable for me in adventure mode. Nothing worse than finding that player willing to join and failing to host, or joining other players session (other hosts) that do accept and also failing to join said hosts. I only have two friends with LBP 3 and we hardly meet - or play the game at the same time. AND no, it's not my internet. 30 mbps download, 6 mbps upload - NAT Type 2.

There is also a weird bug trying to do CO-OP match-making on adventure mode where I get booted to the POD with messed up graphics too (after "losing connection/failing to join x player")....annoying as hell.

Otherwise, game is pretty good barring the always annoying loading times in LBP. Also, "On the Link of Disaster" is glitched as hell....the chase can outrun re-spawn spots and at times cause a looping respawn till you lose all your chances - leading to a replay. I am more inclined to say flawed level design that somehow QA failed to catch. Using a delay on the chain before each re-spawn spot would "easily" solve it.

SSReborn

Are we ever gonna be able to download the Joel costume it always shown up free in the in game store but it's crossed out and I can't select it.

Secondly, I really wish that Lbp had an animation creator, not a tweaker but something we can go a little deeper with I want to make a brawler type game but I think it'd really benefit from some completely custom animations. It'd be cool if such functionality was included down the line in game or using the PS camera.

Are we ever gonna be able to download the Joel costume it always shown up free in the in game store but it's crossed out and I can't select it.

Secondly, I really wish that Lbp had an animation creator, not a tweaker but something we can go a little deeper with I want to make a brawler type game but I think it'd really benefit from some completely custom animations. It'd be cool if such functionality was included down the line in game or using the PS camera.

We're hoping to get that sorted out in the upcoming weeks btw, the DLC to be precise. Also, patch 1.04 is coming as well. Here's a quote from our community coordinator StevenI about it.

Game Update 1.04 is a-coming and it's going to be another whopper!

We're aiming to get the update out before Christmas, so I should have some more concrete details about its contents next week.

As for the animation creator, it's something I've definitely wanted myself in the game as we did work on different ways to provide new animations to the audience. Considering how we try to provide new tools and content throughout the lifespan of the franchise, you never know!

Also, here's the LBP Retrospective Panel we did at the Playstation Experience last weekend if you haven't checked it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yumslsOwRlo

SSReborn

We're hoping to get that sorted out in the upcoming weeks btw, the DLC to be precise. Also, patch 1.04 is coming as well. Here's a quote from our community coordinator StevenI about it.

As for the animation creator, it's something I've definitely wanted myself in the game as we did work on different ways to provide new animations to the audience. Considering how we try to provide new tools and content throughout the lifespan of the franchise, you never know!

Also, here's the LBP Retrospective Panel we did at the Playstation Experience last weekend if you haven't checked it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yumslsOwRlo

Thanks, for the response. Will be waiting patiently for the patch and changes and its great to know that you guys are considering the animation creator and ideas just like it for the community; it would be great to get my brawler idea up and running in the game :)

I never had the chance to watch the Retrospective Panel but will definitely give it a watch.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Great watch, seems like a fun team, and I'm looking forward to hearing about new DLC.

Yeah, I'm hoping we get some nice new tools through content packs down the line.
Agreed. Right now there are a few things that immediately come to mind:

- DS4 Light Bar colour override tool. Would be cool if you got chased by the cops or something and you could wire the logic to flash blue and red etc.
- More expansive sackpocket/equippable customization. This is probably my favourite addition to the series in 3 and I'm sort of working within the limitations at the moment, but dreaming larger. Make it easier to scale things down or create well-defined objects that are very small and fit in sackboy's hand. At a certain point the geometry stops being as defined and you end up with the sack person holding something 3x their size. Furthermore, I would love it if you could make a tool that equips a character with various collected/purchased content as you go through a level or change the costume. You can do some of this with making transformable Sackbots, but it's otherwise limited (and I mean this in a relative sense, heh)
- Gundam DLC. Don't act like you haven't pitched it, donkey show. Char, Amuro, RX78-2 and a Zaku II.

So I've been been working on a controllinator sackbot over the past few days, for the purpose of making pseudo 3d platformer levels. I've still got a lot more logic to add (especially to improve the jump) but it's at least starting to come together now. I've just published a simple level and made a Youtube video to show the gist of it.

I'd still like a way to reduce the camera flatness though...

Creaking

So I've been been working on a controllinator sackbot over the past few days, for the purpose of making pseudo 3d platformer levels. I've still got a lot more logic to add (especially to improve the jump) but it's at least starting to come together now. I've just published a simple level and made a Youtube video to show the gist of it.

Looks pretty nice, though the camera seems a little bumpy at times.

Can't wait until I finally have the time to sit down and make stuff. Soon, he says, soon.

TI82

Banned
So, I'm getting all my DLC from LBP2 and some is working but some is showing "unavailable" like the MGS4 Snake costume. What gives?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Nice, looking forward to see what comes out of this.

From a lot of the 3D movement videos I've seen/played, getting the jumping to look smooth is a bit difficult.

Creaking

Nice, looking forward to see what comes out of this.

From a lot of the 3D movement videos I've seen/played, getting the jumping to look smooth is a bit difficult.

Seems that way, doesn't it? I have a few theories on how to do it myself, but never the time to exercise any of them. I always see jumps that seem to cause the player to descend very slowly when taken from high heights, and I want to see if there isn't a better way to make them accelerate as long as they are in the air (at least, to a predetermined terminal velocity).

So, I'm getting all my DLC from LBP2 and some is working but some is showing "unavailable" like the MGS4 Snake costume. What gives?

Dunno, I've got all of my MGS4 costumes. Did you acquire them as a set, or individually?

I've run into a strange costume error though. I got the Helghast costume from the 4ThePlayers costume set, but I already had the Killzone 2 minipack on my old account. When I retrieved it on that account (sharing between my old and new accounts), I got the Sev costume and stickers like I was supposed to, but I also got an identical duplicate of the Helghast outfit. So now I have two of every item in that costume.

Really great man! Thanks for sharing!

Great watch, seems like a fun team, and I'm looking forward to hearing about new DLC.

Much appreciated! Doing the panel was pretty fun and looking back at how it all came together was a blast from the past.

- Gundam DLC. Don't act like you haven't pitched it, donkey show. Char, Amuro, RX78-2 and a Zaku II.

You're preaching to the choir, man. Awhile back before I went off for the Playstation Experience, I've been slowly working on some Gundam stuff.

B3UuwPdIAAI070U.jpg

Attempting to make a better version of this level I made in LBP2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv9BS0joYoc

We'll see where it goes. ^^

Like Creaking alluded to above, it depends on whether or not you bought them as a set or individually. If you bought them as a set, attempting to get the costumes one by one will show them as unavailable. Therefore you need to find the set and download that one instead.

Mailbox

Seems that way, doesn't it? I have a few theories on how to do it myself, but never the time to exercise any of them. I always see jumps that seem to cause the player to descend very slowly when taken from high heights, and I want to see if there isn't a better way to make them accelerate as long as they are in the air (at least, to a predetermined terminal velocity).

there are ways to accelerate things rather easily using timers and speedscale settings.

Mind you i don't have lbp3 yet, i'm just basing my opinion on what i've made in lbp2.

Much appreciated! Doing the panel was pretty fun and looking back at how it all came together was a blast from the past.

You're preaching to the choir, man. Awhile back before I went off for the Playstation Experience, I've been slowly working on some Gundam stuff.

B3UuwPdIAAI070U.jpg

Attempting to make a better version of this level I made in LBP2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv9BS0joYoc

We'll see where it goes. ^^

that image alone makes me want to get lbp3 on ps4. Creating via my vita in lbp3 is like a dream (i'm actually making an lbp vita level right now.)

TI82

Banned
I think I only bought the old snake costume separate. I'll have to look though.

Edit: Found the pack, never bought it. Here's a screenshot
2maMZqr.png

Creaking

I think I only bought the old snake costume separate. I'll have to look though.

Edit: Found the pack, never bought it. Here's a screenshot
2maMZqr.png

That's odd. Old Snake should only be unavailable for purchase if you've already bought the bundle (to prevent buying the same thing twice).

Maybe it's an issue with the content distribution. I've got some costumes I can't use because I bought them as a set, and they're currently only available in LBP3 individually.

Agreed. Right now there are a few things that immediately come to mind:

- More expansive sackpocket/equippable customization. This is probably my favourite addition to the series in 3 and I'm sort of working within the limitations at the moment, but dreaming larger. Make it easier to scale things down or create well-defined objects that are very small and fit in sackboy's hand. At a certain point the geometry stops being as defined and you end up with the sack person holding something 3x their size.

Absolutely. One of the first things I did in create mode was make a fairly detailed replica of the Bioshock Infinite pistol (I'd just downloaded the costume pack), and I was really bummed when I couldn't resize it to a manageable level. The game does seem capable of rescaling an object like that to smaller sizes without losing the detail (as seen on the pedestal itself), but there's no way to do that for when it's actually in Sackboy's hand.

Looks pretty nice, though the camera seems a little bumpy at times.
Does it look bumpy just when I zoom cameras, or does the turning look shaky as well. Bear in mind that I've set it up to automatically rotate when the player moves left or right (plus manual rotation with the right stick) so that's by design.

I'm not sure what to do to make the camera zoom smoother, unfortunately. Because I'm activating and deactivating cameras, the newly selected camera always has to rotate to the player's current angle. The camera needs to be attached to the sackbot as well to keep the rotation in sync, and I don't think there's a way to alter a single camera's internal zoom with logic.

Creaking

I'm not sure what to do to make the camera zoom smoother, unfortunately. Because I'm activating and deactivating cameras, the newly selected camera always has to rotate to the player's current angle. The camera needs to be attached to the sackbot as well to keep the rotation in sync, and I don't think there's a way to alter a single camera's internal zoom with logic.

Wait, are you still using the gameplay camera, or have you gone back to a method using the movie camera?

Also, my solution for having the sackbot and camera separate while keeping rotation in sync is to have the camera on a separate material object (hologram or sticker panel or something invisible), and have that object rotate using the same rotation tool and speeds as the sackbot itself. There remains some room for error if the two happen to desync, but you can set up a correction system pretty easily using a tag sensor and a look-at rotator.

Wait, are you still using the gameplay camera, or have you gone back to a method using the movie camera?

Also, my solution for having the sackbot and camera separate while keeping rotation in sync is to have the camera on a separate material object (hologram or sticker panel or something invisible), and have that object rotate using the same rotation tool and speeds as the sackbot itself. There remains some room for error if the two happen to desync, but you can set up a correction system pretty easily using a tag sensor and a look-at rotator.
I'm using the gameplay camera because movie cameras cause the y axis tilt issue I talked about earlier in the thread.

In regards to camera placement, I was using your method at first with a sticker panel, but I ran into the problem of rotational sync being lost every time the sackbot touched a wall. I didn't know about any correction methods, so I found it much simpler just to stick the camera on the sackbot. I imagine your proposed correction system could solve the problem.

The one thing I'm more concerned about now (in regards to using a seperate object to move in and out of layers for the camera) is that the camera won't be able to 'zoom' out on levels which I use all of the layers to create height. For example if my sackbot climbs up some platforms and reaches the front layer, then the player won't be able to zoom out at all. If the camera was already zoomed out, then climbing to the front layer will actually force the camera inwards (relative to the sackbot), which I don't want to happen. The same also applies in reverse if the camera is zoomed in and the sackbot 'jumps down' to the back layer.

I actually think I prefer using my current method of multiple cameras now, to toggle between 3 levels of zoom with L2 and R2. The spin effect when changing cameras is slightly irritating, but functionally my system works the way I want it to. I'll probably end up keeping it even if there isn't a solution to stop the spin.

Creaking

I actually think I prefer using my current method of multiple cameras now, to toggle between 3 levels of zoom with L2 and R2. The spin effect when changing cameras is slightly irritating, but functionally my system works the way I want it to. I'll probably end up keeping it even if there isn't a solution to stop the spin.

All right, if that's what you want to do then that's that. However, if you want me to, I can take a look at alternative methods and see what I can come up with. I've already got some ideas. I might even be able to fix that spin problem of yours, though it's hard to say without putting my idea into action.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be booked with finals until tomorrow afternoon, and then I might be booked with all the other things I was putting off because of finals.

All right, if that's what you want to do then that's that. However, if you want me to, I can take a look at alternative methods and see what I can come up with. I've already got some ideas. I might even be able to fix that spin problem of yours, though it's hard to say without putting my idea into action.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be booked with finals until tomorrow afternoon, and then I might be booked with all the other things I was putting off because of finals.
I'll send you the sackbot when I get home from work tonight. You did give me the base to get started :)

Creaking

NPD thread saying this game did 134k between both PS3 and PS4 versions... :(

Does that count the PS4 bundle?

Either way it's kind of depressing. Was the lowest charting new game for November on the PS store too, although a lot of that can be attributed to it releasing late in the month. (Of course, GTAV released on the same day and ended up on top, but what can you do?)

Still, LBP always struck me as a more slow and steady franchise.

Top Bottom