• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live-Action Death Note Film's Producer Responds to Whitewashing Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
It basically reads like they were trying to find an Asian actor to cast in one of the roles to help sell the movie to Asian markets, and when they couldn't find one, they just rewrote the role instead of attempting to find an Asian American instead. How messed up you think that is is up to you.
I mean, fair enough but considering the casting agents are of Asian descent wouldn't you think that maybe they tried to make a genuine non cynical effort?

all the other more obvious ways it can be interpreted i would imagine
okay.gif

Where did you get the idea that the casting agents were Asian?

And no.

Haven't we been talking about that very thing like, most of this thread?
Edit: Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Masi Oka, Niija Kuykendall, and Nik Mavinkurve were all in charge of or had control and final say over casting yes?
All of these people are Asian american, yes?

Bookoo

Oh so its totally different than the other whitewashings because they totally removed all of the asian influence and completely whitewashed everything

Isn't it tho? I guess I don't understand the huge controversy when American remakes use different actors.

Kyuur

I don't see a problem with an adaptation when live action films set in Japan, made in Japan and cast using Japanese actors already exist.

- J - D -

I was gonna give them a pass on this, but then they had to say shit about not being able to find one Asian actor who could speak fluent English to be a lead on this show. Man I want to see some statistics on the current state of Asian American actor community in Hollywood if they are claiming this shit.

sandy1297

Im kinda okay with this since its an adaptation and all. It would be bad if they hired a non japanese asian as a japanese character (not all asian look alike)

This is more like Let The Right One In situation

I was gonna give them a pass on this, but then they had to say shit about not being able to find one Asian actor who could speak fluent English to be a lead on this show. Man I want to see some statistics on the current state of Asian American actor community in Hollywood if they are claiming this shit.

Justin Lin commented on it being complicated last year.

DEADLINE: The white guilt narrative during the last Oscars discounted the hardship that informed your early career and seems common to new filmmakers of all colors. The controversy focused on the lack of black nominees in the last two Oscars. As an Asian American director, how do you see it?

LIN: It’s very complex, but I’m glad diversity is being talked about. The issue really is opportunity, and then in making the most of it. They don’t call in Asian American actors or the African American actors unless it’s specific, like for Asians if the part is a Kung-Fu master. I have always felt, why don’t you just call in everybody and whoever is best gets the role? So that’s what I did before the idea of color blind casting got a little better because of this conversation that’s being had now. I remember that when I started demanding they call in everybody, the Asian American actors that came in, they were not making a good impression.

DEADLINE: Why?

LIN: They give you pages. If you are looking at your pages in your audition, you’re not going to come across very well. But if you are looking at the other person, and you are acting, you’ll have a much better chance. I pulled some of them aside and I said look man, if you’re going to go for a lead of a movie, you have to know your f**king lines. One actress said, I’ve only ever gone out for one or two lines. That is all Asian Americans get called in for. But what I say is, even if you don’t get the role, you can make an impression, make someone remember you and they will call you back again, for something else. Casting directors and filmmakers, we remember. We want to work with great talented people so it’s very important to go out there and make sure you are on your game. There’s a little bit of learning curve on both sides.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/star-tr...ethnic-diversity-oscars-hollywood-1201790030/

I genuinely feel this somehow got swept up with the more justified apathy for Ghost in the Shell.

The adaptation takes place in America, you could make a reasonable argument that the concepts of a good complex supercedes the Japanese justice system, and the eventual hero of the film is a person of color (who still sits like L, interesting enough).

I don't think the producers have anything to apologize for, unless you believe adaptations are morally incapable of taking place in a different location than their source material.

You could make the argument that the film could have had more Asians in the cast, but that's not at all specific to this film compared to anything else in Hollywood.

Sunster

I do not have an issue with white characters in an American setting. However, I do not for a second believe they seriously searched for Asian actors originally and came up with nothing. The producers of The OA for example, were skeptical they could find the writer's perfect actor for Buck, an Asian trans teen. Low and behold they dropped an add in a few places online and Ian Alexander joined the cast. If you look for the actors they are there waiting.

ngff02

If production started 5-10 years ago we could of had the perfect Light

s320x320

I do not have an issue with white characters in an American setting. However, I do not for a second believe they seriously searched for Asian actors originally and came up with nothing. The producers of The OA for example, were skeptical they could find the writer's perfect actor for Buck, an Asian trans teen. Low and behold they dropped an add in a few places online and Ian Alexander joined the cast. If you look for the actors they are there waiting.

This is true. If you really want to find an actor that meets a certain requirement, you can find them if you look hard enough.

- J - D -

I appreciate Lin's insight and your linking of that interview, but beyond anecdotal casting room talk with an unknown sample size to draw any result from, I would've preferred hard numbers because I feel that what's actually integral to sussing out a perhaps hard truth behind what both Masi Oka and Justin Lin are saying, that maybe the numbers just aren't there in the AA actor community.

I appreciate Lin's insight and your linking of that interview, but beyond anecdotal casting room talk with an unknown sample size to draw any result from, I would've preferred hard numbers because I feel that what's actually integral to sussing out a perhaps hard truth behind what both Masi Oka and Justin Lin are saying, that maybe the numbers just aren't there in the AA actor community.

Based upon my reading of other Asian American experiences, if I had to guess I think that's it as well as cultural. I remember listening to an Asian American actor talk about color blind casting, and the sheer amount of White people that would show up for that role have the odds on their side.

That's why even though increasing color blind casting is important to give everybody a chance, it's also important to designate roles for certain marginalized groups to increase representation.

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, I'm cool with an adaptation of this type. The problem with GitS was they wanted to have a story with huge Asian influences, and then shoehorn the main character in as Mokoto Kusanagi at the last second not realize how stupid that was.

This is an adaptation of a manga that took place in Japan, being moved to America, even changing the names of the actors in some cases. They have seemingly a decent amount of minority representation, and it seems to work well for an adaptation of this type. The biggest problem I see is in insinuating that more Asian actors weren't cast because they weren't fluent in English. Even if that is true, that you looked for Asian actors and couldn't have them speak clearly enough to get the part, it comes off as saying you couldn't find any Asian American actors, which is laughably false.

Zhengi

the world doesn't only work in polar opposites

And yet, Hollywood does. Otherwise, we would already be in a world where diversity wouldn't be a problem.

You're arguing that there are no minorities in a movie with a minority lead and a trailer that is all of 50 seconds long for a film you haven't seen.

Did I say that there were no minorities? Can you point out where I said that? I said "why can't there be a rewrite to include more minorities in a movie?". Stop trying to put words in my mouth and ACTUALLY read what I write. Also, for context, I was talking about The Departed, a movie that came out years ago, not a trailer. Please ACTUALLY read what I am writing rather than interpret wrong what I wrote.

Nothing, and there's nothing about the film that says it is, nor is anyone arguing that. Stop reaching.

Again, read what I write in the context of what I am replying to. You're the one who is reaching. Seriously, stop it.

I was kinda mocking the diversity for diversity's sake which gets misused all the time, although in very small and specific cases I think there's actually merit to it such as the Bostonian White world of The Departed that Martin Scorsese decided to set his adaptation in.

Death Note has an African American, and 2 Asian Americans in the cast.

I guess you can argue that. But then, there is always the case of Hollywood doing things to whitewash minority roles or not even consider them for roles at all. So that's why it's a bit frustrating when more reasons to excuse Hollywood behavior just really boils my blood. People can come up with many reasons, but they all boil down to Hollywood can continue to make film role decisions based on race and that doesn't sit well with me.

And good that they have those minorities. Hopefully the other two minorities have significant roles or else they could just be there as token minorities.

Not necessarily, but that doesn't mean racism doesn't play a part, however the biggest problem will always be Hollywood being a predominately White elitist institution filled with White execs, White producers, White screenwriters, White directors and casting directors, so even without racism they're naturally going to gravitate to creating White narrative films filled with White leads. There's a difference between exclusion and racist, ethnic stereotypical depictions.

Yeah, there is a difference, but the results to me seem the same. It leads to marginalized minorities who are depicted in those stereotypical ways and this affects their lives. Society reflects those values and real people suffer. So even if the intent is not to be racist, this leads to adverse effects. So for this reason, I really can't accept such superficial reasons to excuse their behavior.

And yet, Hollywood does. Otherwise, we would already be in a world where diversity wouldn't be a problem.

Did I say that there were no minorities? Can you point out where I said that? I said "why can't there be a rewrite to include more minorities in a movie?". Stop trying to put words in my mouth and ACTUALLY read what I write. Also, for context, I was talking about The Departed, a movie that came out years ago, not a trailer. Please ACTUALLY read what I am writing rather than interpret wrong what I wrote.

Again, read what I write in the context of what I am replying to. You're the one who is reaching. Seriously, stop it.

I guess you can argue that. But then, there is always the case of Hollywood doing things to whitewash minority roles or not even consider them for roles at all. So that's why it's a bit frustrating when more reasons to excuse Hollywood behavior just really boils my blood. People can come up with many reasons, but they all boil down to Hollywood can continue to make film role decisions based on race and that doesn't sit well with me.

And good that they have those minorities. Hopefully the other two minorities have significant roles or else they could just be there as token minorities.

Yeah, there is a difference, but the results to me seem the same. It leads to marginalized minorities who are depicted in those stereotypical ways and this affects their lives. Society reflects those values and real people suffer. So even if the intent is not to be racist, this leads to adverse effects. So for this reason, I really can't accept such superficial reasons to excuse their behavior.
I think you need to go back and actually read what you wrote, including the fact that
you
Quoted
Me

GKnight

Banned
This movie looks terrible from what I've seen of it, looks like one of the movies they threw the towel in on.
For a faithful adaptation they shouldn't all be different races, or even asian-american... they should be Japanese.
If we suggest these were opportunities for an all Asian-American cast... I'm not sure. Just because in any city in America there is a wide diversity of people, it would make sense to have at least one white person involved, and another African American. Probably should be some South Asian representation in there as well.

This is an adaptation that takes place in a totally new setting.

All it seems to be taking from the source material is the basic premise of the book itself and a loose characterization of an idealistic killer and his quirky but duty-bound pursuer.

Would it be nice to have more ethnic diversity in a film helmed by so many Asian producers? Yes. But it's no more a whitewashing than The Departed or The Ring.

I take it that you haven't watched/read Death Note?

The main story is Light (part of the majority, his father is upper level law enforcement, secretly a mass murderer) vs L (outsider, quirky genius).

The most natural adaptation to America imo would be to make Light white (part of the majority in population and in law enforcement) and L non-white. Light being an arrogant, self-satisfied part of the majority, committing mass murder out of his god complex.

If they wrote the story to take place with mostly Asian-American characters I'd wish for a young Roger Fan. The way he sabotages the main character in Better Luck Tomorrow, smiling all the while, is a perfect fit for Light. But again, the issue here is he might be too likeable. It would be like he was rebelling against a society that doesn't fully give him his due, which is the opposite of the actual Light, who is given his full due the entire time, yet still commits mass murder.

caliph95

I take it that you haven't watched/read Death Note?

The main story is Light (part of the majority, his father is upper level law enforcement, secretly a mass murderer) vs L (outsider, quirky genius).

The most natural adaptation to America imo would be to make Light white (part of the majority in population and in law enforcement) and L non-white. Light being an arrogant, self-satisfied part of the majority, committing mass murder out of his god complex.

If they wrote the story to take place with mostly Asian-American characters I'd wish for a young Roger Fan. The way he sabotages the main character in Better Luck Tomorrow, smiling all the while, is a perfect fit for Light. But again, the issue here is he might be too likeable. It would be like he was rebelling against a society that doesn't fully give him his due, which is the opposite of the actual Light, who is given his full due the entire time, yet still commits mass murder.
Honestly if anything the race isn't the issue is the fact that he doesn't look like that popular kid in school who will be the school president instead making him look like an outsider if it makes sense.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I mean... that is white washing though. You can decide how much you care, but they chose to rewrite those story elements. Like, just becuase it happens at a script level doesn't excuse it.

Also their casting story is clearly bullshit considering I recently tried to find an actor WITH a natural accent and it was fucking impossible.

I'm not saying people should boycott and I'm not even saying people should be mad, but it's important to be honest about the media we enjoy. If you think it's not a big deal, that's a thing, but "it's set in the US" is the weirdest way to deflect questions about providing opportunities for minority actors.

If production started 5-10 years ago we could of had the perfect Light

s320x320

Fancasts are terrible. The only reason people are picking him is because of his looks, but looks is only one part of Light Yagami. I don't think Efron has the range to pull off being manipulative yet sincere, a mad genius, and (if manga ending applies)
a desperate little shithead who's afraid to die.

I mean... that is white washing though. You can decide how much you care, but they chose to rewrite those story elements. Like, just becuase it happens at a script level doesn't excuse it.

Also their casting story is clearly bullshit considering I recently tried to find an actor WITH a natural accent and it was fucking impossible.

I'm not saying people should boycott and I'm not even saying people should be mad, but it's important to be honest about the media we enjoy. If you think it's not a big deal, that's a thing, but "it's set in the US" is the weirdest way to deflect questions about providing opportunities for minority actors.

I think in the most technical sense it's American washing or Western washing but that's the point of the adaptation. The question is, is that bad? No, I don't necessarily think so, especially in the sense that they bought the rights of this property from Japan with express intent to adapt it to America. It's no different than Park Chan-Wook Korean washing or Asian washing the English novel Fingersmith to create his cinematic masterpiece The Handmaiden, or Charlie Smalls Black washing or African American washing the American novel and movie The Wizard of OZ to create the Tony award winning musical The Wiz. It's literally culturally exchange.

Now could they have cast an Asian American or another minority in the lead? Sure they could've, but they didn't. it would've been a nice change of pace for once had they did, however it doesn't mean it's whitewashing just because they didn't.

I think it's ok to be bothered by the Death Note producers not casting Asian-American actors in a movie based on a Japanese property. The idea that it's in America now, so the lead has to be white seems sketchy in a country that has millions of people of Asian descent.

I feel white-washing is a very specific term though. No one is pretending Light Turner is Japanese.

Fancasts are terrible.
You're going to get Shia LaBeouf as Ash Ketchum in the Pokemon remake and you're going to like it

I think it's ok to be bothered by the Death Note producers not casting Asian-American actors in a movie based on a Japanese property. The idea that it's in America now, so the lead has to be white seems sketchy in a country that has millions of people of Asian descent.

I feel white-washing is a very specific term though. No one is pretending Light Turner is Japanese.

You're going to get Shia LaBeouf as Ash Ketchum in the Pokemon remake and you're going to like it

You have two Asian American actors cast in the film though.

The lead has to be White just because it's an American adaptation is horseshit, but just because the lead is White doesn't mean it's whitewashing either. It's complicated. LOL

Are you suggesting that it's necessary to cast Asian Americans in American adaptations of Japanese properties?

They should have made both Light and L black and female.

I can't imagine the shitstorm ah ah ah.

And rename them to Dark and G. LOL

And don't give me the whole "it's an adaptation" line. Washing away the origins of your source material is still whitewashing. Just like they whitewashed the whole character of the Major in GitS, only applied to the entire film.

Funnily enough, Japanese also do 'asian-washing' when they make adaptations of some anime/manga properties. They cast Japanese people for roles that were for Caucasian or European looking characters.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's an actual adaptation so personally I'm whatever

Major Spoiler
I do however think the only reason they made L black is because he gets killed

Show's gonna be ass anyway just like the second half off the book so at least that's loyal lol

Oh come on. Mind marking significant spoilers? Not everyone has seen Death Note.

Brannon

I don't see a problem with an adaptation when live action films set in Japan, made in Japan and cast using Japanese actors already exist.

I know right?

Deathnote the movie, Deathnote the TV series, Deathnote 2 (is that out yet?)...

Maybe, just maybe, it's okay if just THIS ONE can have its own take.

William DaFoe. Okay? Already best movie of the year.

NandoGip

the staff was conscious of the issue. "Our casting directors did an extensive search to get Asian actors,"

Yeahhhh the fuck right. Does anyone seriously believe that? I am the specific target market for shows/movies like this but if they continue to white wash, I'm going to continue to not watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom