• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Telegraph review is 100% worth reading. Really good shit in there. Curious to see what Walter Chaw thinks of it when he finally posts his, as well.

No.

You do see the yellow spandex more than once.

You also hear Logan's thoughts on such attire, and on the subject of superhero comics in general.

They are... not altogether positive thoughts, Logan's.
I fucking hate that shit. Stop being so damn ashamed of the costumes. Stop mocking them. It's just mean spirited as anything.

Kite

let me guess, is it 'totally awesome!'??
Still watching them, just finished BTT's review and tl;dr great movie close to Dark Knight, HJ and Picard are great, X23's actress does great fights but isn't very personable/likable and she resents the 3rd act for whatever that means (gets political? red states might be a lil mad?).

taasqeQ.jpg

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I hope fox learns its lesson.
Give me movies like Logan and Deadpool.
Get Singer as far away as possible.

Only ask him for advice when it comes to casting. He is on point there.

Mortalk Kombat dialed down by 2 notches.

Holy damn so its like really gory? Not sure if I'll like that or not. I don't mind it sometimes, but if its pretty extreme idk how good I'll be for it. What's weird is over the top gore has never bothered me in games, but makes me a bit squeemish in films

I think it's the most violent superhero movie I've ever seen. Definitely the most violent in the X-Men series. Deadpool isn't fucking with this.

There's a couple times people basically just get turned into shredded beef. Like - completely shredded. Taco meat type-shit.

kswiston

He actually give a positive review about a superhero film? It's truly Armageddon.

Also I'm damn incredibly excited now. Can't wait.

Yes.

Scott Mendelson said:
James Mangold’s Logan is an interesting example of the somewhat lowered expectations which we possess for superhero comic book movies. The film is a relatively straightforward western drama, a “famous gunslinger’s last rodeo” type adventure not unlike The Shootist and it is quite successful in its respective goals.

But I would be willing to bet that the same film delivered sans known characters and specifically sans four-color source material would be accepted as a rock-solid genre piece as opposed to the pinnacle of its respective genre. Logan is good, it is occasionally great, but I would argue that it is about as good as we should expect these films to be as a matter of course.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...-x-men-adventure-is-a-cut-above/#48a52fa4433b

Bronx-Man

Banned
So Fox can make a great Deadpool movie, a great Wolverine movie, but still has no idea what the fuck to do with the Fantastic Four.

From Robbie Collin's review:
That premise suggests the sinuous science-fiction of Children of Men, though the film owes far more to early John Carpenter – both in its snaps of shock-and-awe brutality and Mangold’s nerve-stiffening composition and framing.
I need to keep my hype in check and this Carpenter talk doesn't help one bit.

And I didn't know that Beltrami did the score. Very underrated composer, his work on Blade 2 was fantastic.

I think it's the most violent superhero movie I've ever seen. Definitely the most violent in the X-Men series. Deadpool isn't fucking with this.

There's a couple times people basically just get turned into shredded beef. Like - completely shredded. Taco meat type-shit.

Huh, I actually might not watch this then.

So far this film has been compared to

Shane (obvious once you see it)
The Shootist
the works of Samuel Beckett

...and whatever totally rad episode of Smallville Jahns had flit into his head while he was recording.

And I didn't know that Beltrami did the score. Very underrated composer, his work on Blade 2 was fantastic.

His score was one of the things I thought was kind of a misstep, honestly. There's a few scenes where it actively gets in the way.

His score was one of the things I thought was kind of a misstep, honestly. There's a few scenes where it actively gets in the way.

That's too bad. I felt like Beltrami was meant for great things a decade or so ago. It hasn't really panned out so far but I always have hope whenever I see his name.

kswiston

While I'm sure that GAF will be flooded with "Overrated POS" posts for Logan in a couple of months, it's nice to see solid trailers followed up with an apparently solid film. Especially after last year.

Ashhong

Hollywood finally has their Last of Us moment.

I am really glad to hear that it seems to be as great a sendoff for the character as the trailers suggested. I haven't really liked an X-men film outside of X2, so here's hoping Logan can join it.

wtf is a "last of us" moment?

So Fox can make a great Deadpool movie, a great Wolverine movie, but still has no idea what the fuck to do with the Fantastic Four.

I think Fox has found a sliver of the answer - fuck continuity, fuck universe building, just make a good story (whether it's fun or dramatic) about great characters and people will come. It's good counter-programming to all of the shared universe stuff going on now, as Deadpool (and supposedly this movie) work well as standalone films.

There's no reason comic book films can't use the James Bond model, where each director and writer combo isn't beholden to the tone and story beats of the previous.

If Fox wants to hold onto the FF license, they should go all out and just do a CGI animated film. Embrace the Incredibles comparisons, and just go ham with the wacky sci fi exploration stuff. Kids will eat it up.

Tansut

So far this film has been compared to

Shane (obvious once you see it)
The Shootist

the works of Samuel Beckett

...and whatever totally rad episode of Smallville Jahns had flit into his head while he was recording.

Oh shit this has me more hyped than anything. It's not perfect, but I find The Shootist to be a gem of a movie.

A lot of Jackman talk and how he hard R violently shreds baddies. I'm excited for that, but Sir Patrick Stewart was quite prominent in the trailer, is that reflected in the film?

Bronx-Man

Banned
While I'm sure that GAF will be flooded with "Overrated POS" posts for Logan in a couple of months, it's nice to see solid trailers followed up with an apparently solid film. Especially after last year.
Oh definitely. This is the same site that swears up and down that Skyfall is a shit movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom