• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Logan Review Thread - Go Fuck Yourself out of 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Really happy to see that the trailers weren't just marketing and the tone they displayed was the actual tone of the movie.

Werd

I was skeptical after The Wolverine turned out pretty disappointing with the same director, but definitely on board now.

kswiston

Fox's switch to R rated films on this and Logan was a pretty good way to differentiate some of their films in a pretty crowded genre. I wonder how long it will take WB to follow suit. Marvel Studios seems to be doing well enough with their current strategy of keeping the heavier stuff on Netflix.

I think it's the most violent superhero movie I've ever seen. Definitely the most violent in the X-Men series. Deadpool isn't fucking with this.

There's a couple times people basically just get turned into shredded beef. Like - completely shredded. Taco meat type-shit.
Fuck yeah

Noaloha

Priscilla's review for BirthMoviesDeath is glowing.

With filmmakers cramming more characters, CGI, and noise into their superhero films, it’s refreshing just to spend time with Logan, Laura, and Charles. James Mangold and co-writers Scott Frank and Michael Green have created a unique and intimate entry in the world of superheroes. Though it would be unfair to call Logan a “superhero film.” It’s a western, a noir film, a road movie. At moments it reminded me of Mad Max: Fury Road and Paper Moon and Paris, Texas. It has nothing in common with Reddit wet dream Deadpool.

this_guy

Those reviews sound great. I really wasn't looking forward to the film but now I am.

But, is this part of the Marvel conspiracy where everyone is doing fake reviews to bump up the score? I've seen enough BvS and Suicide Squad threads to know it exists.

Screendaily with the lone rotten review

Boasting a few nifty action sequences and the always-compelling Jackman, Logan self-consciously aspires to retire this iteration of the steel-clawed hero with epic grandeur, and the results are often rousingly bleak. And yet, the risks taken — largely felt in the more profane language and graphic violence — only make the formulaic redemption story and clichéd emotional underpinnings increasingly frustrating.

Bigfoot

Movies are only really good on the internet until they drop at the box office or they have some unrated version coming out.

GAF also has a lot of hardcore MCU fans that will hate on any Fox movie no matter how good it is. They really want Marvel Studios to get the X-men back so to them Fox can do nothing right..

Oddduck

I had a good feeling that this movie would deliver.

Glad to hear it turned out to be great.

GAF also has a lot of hardcore MCU fans that will hate on any Fox movie no matter how good it is. They really want Marvel Studios to get the X-men back so to them Fox can do nothing right..

Yeah it's really silly.

I don't really care if X-Men are part of the MCU or not. I just want good movies. Deadpool and Logan are good movies.

Ashhong

It's a "I have no cultural touchstones outside of videogames and Logan looks like The Last of Us" moment

A joke from one of the other threads where someone said that the Mangold should admit his Last of Us influence in Logan.

I knew as much. I get the whole "it looks like TLOU" meme but the fact that he said it was "Hollywood's Last of Us moment" threw me off. Ah well, carry on

Angel_DvA

Never, ever believe reviews from early viewers, not saying the movie won't be good but we all know why they're early viewers...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Never, ever believe reviews from early viewers, not saying the movie won't be good but we all know why they're early viewers...

Never believe Twitter impressions from randos, believe real reviews from real critics, which these are.

It kinda pisses me off that we finally get full gloriously violent fury unleashed Wolverine, and it's Jackman's last film.

Oh well. God bless Deadpool for bringing back hyper-violent superhero films. I'll try to contain my excitement over the next two weeks.

- J - D -

I guess Logan joins the still very exclusive "good third film of a trilogy" club and gets to party with The Last Crusade, Return of the King, and Civil War.

edit: also The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

kswiston

I guess Logan joins the still very exclusive "good third film of a trilogy" club and gets to party with The Last Crusade, Return of the King, and Civil War.

It's the only one of those that was better than the first two. Not that the bar was all that high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom