• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOL@WoW's strict naming policy (almost all my names are in violation)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
"Details: The name Rokhard was in violation of the Obscene/Vulgar part of the
naming policy. Mowyoudown was in violation of the Partial/complete sentence.
Spam was in violation of the real world/dudespeak parts of the naming policy.
Uberkuh and Uberdead were in violation of the leet/dudespeak part of the naming
policy.

As a temporary resolution, the character name has been changed. If you are not
satisfied with this name, please submit a GM petition stating your character
name had been changed by a GM when you were offline, and we will try to
accommodate you with a new name to the best of our ability.
"

Vashu

So this game actually encourages you (or the folks at Blizzard for that matter) to come up with a real fantasy-name? Interesting, it does add a bit the experience.

Also.... LOL@Sno Nuff

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's hilarious that they just picked random fantasy-style names as replacements:

Realm/Server: Beta, PvP
Old Character Name: Rokhard, Mowyoudown, spam, uberkuh, uberdead
New Character Name: Lawor, Saglorn, Uzzanlona, Rodi, Shtorik

Lame.

If I can't shake you elven fantasy fruits out of your silly immersive experience with the name "JC Watts" or "Bonerz Tha Klown", SCREW YOUR LAME GAME.

ced

Spam was in violation of the real world/dudespeak parts of the naming policy.
Uberkuh and Uberdead were in violation of the leet/dudespeak part of the naming
policy.

Did it really say that? lol

epmode

Drinky Crow said:
Lame.

If I can't shake you elven fantasy fruits out of your silly immersive experience with the name "JC Watts" or "Bonerz Tha Klown", SCREW YOUR LAME GAME.
ibtn.

WarPig

Drinky Crow said:

Yeh. Can't they just accomodate people with different servers? You have the ren-faire goober server and the ordinary sane human server. Never the twain need meet.

DFS.

I say good for them.

If you're going to the effort of spending time in a fantasy world, at least take a moment to create a name that fits the part. I think it's much more lame to call yourself "Bonerz the Clown" than it would be to put some effort into your characters' name.

But, this being GA, certain individuals will complain about anything. Thank god Nintendo ain't behind WoW.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
On a related note, what's the funniest nick you've seen on an online game? I'm still partial to OSAMA BIN FUCKYOU on CS.

WarPig

fennec fox said:
On a related note, what's the funniest nick you've seen on an online game? I'm still partial to OSAMA BIN FUCKYOU on CS.

I was [ddr]smile.dk in Quake III about three years before anyone in America got the joke. And when we hadda play in this UT2004 tournament against some people from Intel (back when I worked at IGN), I was "Anus Explosion Death Match."

DFS.

Matlock

Banned
Fennec: not funny, per se, but seeing someone in an online game using the nick "American Airlines Flight 11" about two minutes after it crashed into the first tower was distractingly awful.

Zilch

Banned
Just cuz you don't want lame-ass names in the game doesn't mean you're some fruity roleplayer.

+1 Blizzard

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
fennec fox said:

Legomyeggolas on EverQuest :)

WarPig

Flynn said:
Mark your calendars. Today marks the first day the adjectives "sane" and "human" have ever been used to describe leet speakers.

Well, it's all relative. Sane in comparison to the inhabitants of most hard-core RP servers, anyway.

DFS.

Zilch said:
Just cuz you don't want lame-ass names in the game doesn't mean you're some fruity roleplayer.

+1 Blizzard

And just cause you want to call yourself Flarty Mcfluffpants doesn't mean you are some 13 year old who'll go around calling everyone 'GAYZZ!!'.

You might just want to have a bit of fun, under the mistaken impression that playing a game is a bit of escapism.

Flynn

WarPig said:
Well, it's all relative. Sane in comparison to the inhabitants of most hard-core RP servers, anyway.

DFS.

Indeed. Pull back one more notch and it's the world scratching their heads at gamers dying from deep-vein thrombosis after playing an MMO for 28 consecutive hours.

Zilch

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
You might just want to have a bit of fun, under the mistaken impression that playing a game is a bit of escapism.

Yeah, I sure don't play WOW 3+ hours a day for the "fun". That stuffs for kids.

Die Squirrel Die said:
And just cause you want to call yourself Flarty Mcfluffpants doesn't mean you are some 13 year old who'll go around calling everyone 'GAYZZ!!'.

Oh come on, show me one example of that not being the case. I mean, my friend uses "ChinOmletteGiver" as his handle, and he's fucking RETARDED

Thank the gods they are actually enforcing this policy.

I cannot stand players who think that their name is funny/shocking/cute.

krypt0nian said:
Thank the gods they are actually enforcing this policy.

I cannot stand players who think that their name is funny/shocking/cute.

So what about players who think there names are grand and epic, when really they're just pretantious fantasy pish.

Save for barring swearing (and even that's a slippery slope) this is just revenge of the nerds. Now they can force everyone to name like they belong to a D&D club.

Also given that even the lightest of filters can make mistakes (such as PSO not letting me type shoes cause it had 'hoes' in it) placing so many fliters is going to 'cause problems.

Die Squirrel Die said:
So what about players who think there names are grand and epic, when really they're just pretantious fantasy pish.

Save for barring swearing (and even that's a slippery slope) this is just revenge of the nerds. Now they can force everyone to name like they belong to a D&D club.

Also given that even the lightest of filters can make mistakes (such as PSO not letting me type shoes cause it had 'hoes' in it) placing so many fliters is going to 'cause problems.

Umm its a pretentious fantasy pish game. Its certainly not a ribald knee-slapper game.

krypt0nian said:
Umm its a pretentious fantasy pish game. Its certainly not a ribald knee-slapper game.

Are the two concepts mutually exclusive? I'm sure Terry Pratchett would have something to say about that. Also it's a MMORPG, part of the experience is the input of thousands of users on the world. If you can't handle people having their own ideas about how they want to come across and present themselves in the game then you really are tackling the wrong genre.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Are the two concepts mutually exclusive? I'm sure Terry Pratchett would have something to say about that. Also it's a MMORPG, part of the experience is the input of thousands of users on the world. If you can't handle people having their own ideas about how they want to come across and present themselves in the game then you really are tackling the wrong genre.

And if you can't handle sticking to an established genre you may have the same problem.

Flynn

Die Squirrel Die said:

Also, lets do away with having characters, races and settings? Why not go online as a generic stick figure to swat evil black dots, while chatting on IM/?

This is ridiculous. If you're paying $50 for a game, you should be able to name your character whatever the hell you want, within reason. I can see banning Bonerz McCockenstein, but if GDJustin wants to name his name Uberkuh they shouldn't prevent him from doing so. Homosexuals they are.

AeroGod

Alex Anderson said:
This is ridiculous. If you're paying $50 for a game, you should be able to name your character whatever the hell you want, within reason. I can see banning Bonerz McCockenstein, but if GDJustin wants to name his name Uberkuh they shouldn't prevent him from doing so. Homosexuals they are.

And if you pay 50 dollars plus the monthly fee you should be able to play in an immersive RPG world if you want. But yet I still agree with you. Have regular servers and have Role PLaying servers. As much as I love Blizz, its stupid not to. Yeah, vulgar and offensive names should be outlawed, but tis really gone too far.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
The fact that you're paying $50 doesn't give you any rights at all. Saying you should be buying the right to have a specific type of name is the same type of argument as saying you should have the right to start out at level 60. *Shrug* It's their game.

I'm not saying "Who cares?" because I can understand how it can be upsetting to quite a few people, especially if Blizzard is preventing you from using a name you've used many times in the past. But I will say that after you get into the game and start experiencing what it has to offer, I honestly think you'll forget you were upset. :) Try not to sweat the small stuff. :D

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I can't believe people are actually arguing this stuff...

While I agree that you should be able to use fun names, I am all for not ever seeing an Undead named "LongDongDead" or other stupid names (stupid by my definition of course ;P)

It is THEIR game though, and if you don't like the rule, don't pay to play it. It's their rules or get the funk out :D

So goodbye and good riddens to all the adolescent nerds that want their LOLnames.

Top Bottom