• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

kunonabi

Man I really wish more games would follow Other M's example and aim at where your character is facing instead of the camera.

ah good to know I wasn't the only on having trouble with
the birthday cake scene and the baseball section.
So now I'm just trying to beat the Dad scores and trying to unlock what I can(the 7 sparkling hunting achievement)...thought I would have loved that Ash costume. :(

Damn you Amazon for not carrying that card for the other retailer DLC!

Also, anyone else get a laugh at the size of the manual?

Man I really wish more games would follow Other M's example and aim at where your character is facing instead of the camera.

I need to give that game another shot after the hype and resulting tears have faded away. I remember, despite all the dumb stuff, it being pretty fun. And it's all of $10 new.

kunonabi

ah good to know I wasn't the only on having trouble with
the birthday cake scene and the baseball section.
So now I'm just trying to beat the Dad scores and trying to unlock what I can(the 7 sparkling hunting achievement)...thought I would have loved that Ash costume. :(

Damn you Amazon for not carrying that card for the other retailer DLC!

Also, anyone else get a laugh at the size of the manual?

Yeah, I don't know why they even bothered with a manual. Should have just been a mini poster.

Other M was still my game of the year. Every time I play it I run into something new.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is there eventually a combo you learn that allows you to lop off more than 3 heads at once for Sparkle Hunting?

You can do it at anytime, you just have to place your enemies well and have enough around.

The two best place to get sparkle combos are world 3
the farm,
and world 5
The church area.

It just takes some practice. I find for myself personally the best ways to get sparkle powers is to either go into Cherry Bomb Burst mode, or in my experience an actual better solution is to use the Nick Roulette and get Nick Toss, which is one of the easiest slot choices to get. It stuns all enemies into one hit kills for extended periods of time (even the mini-bosses) and if you can get a swarm of zombies to horde around you or get grouped together, it's devastating the sparkle attacks you can unleash on them. there's probably combos, but it's extremely difficult in my experience to kill multiple enemies together on Hard and Very Hard difficulty since they all take so many hits, the only valid way to do it is to stun them close together.

So far my record for a sparkle kill is 10 people dead with a single shot, but that was done in the most crowded room in the game in world 5 and was part luck.

Looking forward to checking this out. Not paying full price this time though. I did that for SoTD last year and felt a little burned when it did a price nosedive shortly after release.

Adam J.

Just got to the
baseball
section and rage-quit after attempting to clear it 10 times with auto-turned off. What the hell were they thinking with this bit? And I was having such a good time with this game too...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What specifically about the baseball part are you guys having such problems with? I don't get the frustration.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Is there anyway to speed up chainsaw dash? This building keeps dropping on me...

Pick up the little cans on the way and not the explosive ones (Big Blue and Big Red are no no)
Dodge the big ones and all should be easy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't even know how to describe what I experienced in stage 1. Holy crap.

Some of the dialog is so insanely random that it's hilarious. And partially into stage 2 some fat old woman dropped out of a ceiling out of nowhere and spun like a tornado, flinging pieces of exercise equipment everywhere. Oh suda, I love you.

S1kkZ

Just got to the
baseball
section and rage-quit after attempting to clear it 10 times with auto-turned off. What the hell were they thinking with this bit? And I was having such a good time with this game too...

oh boy, this sounds like the big boner section in shadow of the damned (which made me quit and sell the game).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
oh boy, this sounds like the big boner section in shadow of the damned (which made me quit and sell the game).

I think it plays better than the section of Shadows of the Damned so maybe you might not hate it that much XD

Ferrio

Banned
The game playing "You spin me round" during the
Combine
part was great. Took the edge off of that minigame being boring.

JaxJag

Banned
lol, that's exactly where I sent it back to gamefly. "KISS my big boner!" Yeah, no thanks

God, that was so dumb.

I think I just can't stand Suda 51's humor, because I find absolutely nothing funny about this game.

The first boss fight was embarrassing.

MiniDitka

What specifically about the baseball part are you guys having such problems with? I don't get the frustration.
Didn't have a problem with it on normal or hard,just kept reloading and firing away.The cake section however is a different story lol

mollipen

This game is proving to me that I'm just not a Suda 51 fan, no matter how much I might want to be. I've yet to touch one of his games where I didn't think the game, on a technical level, wasn't a mess to some degree.

He really, really needs to pair up with people who know what actual gameplay polish is.

JaxJag

Banned
This game is proving to me that I'm just not a Suda 51 fan, no matter how much I might want to be. I've yet to touch one of his games where I didn't think the game, on a technical level, wasn't a mess to some degree.

He really, really needs to pair up with people who know what actual gameplay polish is.

Yeah, the awful lock-on system is really killing the gameplay for me.

You would think teaming up with Shinji Mikami would help(Vanquish has the best TPS shooter controls ever, hands down), but you'd be wrong

Cheska

Only just finished up the prologue and didn't do that well, but damn was it fun! I feel like everything from the music, to the moves, to the art is just very fitting.

Only just finished up the prologue and didn't do that well, but damn was it fun! I feel like everything from the music, to the moves, to the art is just very fitting.

Agreed. I also agree with the combat issues but I'm not bothered by them. However if I played on a harder difficulty I could see it getting frustrating easily.

Giolon

This is so weird - why don't any of the major sites have reviews for this? Did press copies only go out on Monday or something?

Yeah, the awful lock-on system is really killing the gameplay for me.
Explain? The lock on works fine for me. I use it when I want to focus on a specific zombie, and I don't use it when I just need to beat up a horde.

Giolon

E3 only ran until Thursday. I'll give them Friday to get home. What happened to Sat, Sun and Mon? Even, Tuesday - it's Wednesday at this point. That's also assuming they didn't get the game before E3, which is why I asked when press copies went out.

If E3 is the excuse, how did Joystiq, Kotaku, and Destructoid manage to review the game? They were at E3 too.

Moofers

Quick and dirty impressions from my website:

Moofpack.com said:
Lollipop Chainsaw Impressions: My First Day at San Romero High

Sometimes, games come out that don't have the most solid controls, the best graphics, or the most interesting story, but you forgive all that because there is an abundance of heart. I'm just a couple of hours in so far, but at this point Lollipop Chainsaw seems to be one of those games.

The gist of it: The general design so far seems to consist of entering a room or an area surrounded by walls or rubble or some other boundary intended to keep you confined to that spot until a set number of enemies have been destroyed. Its very PlayStation 2-era in that regard. In fact, a lot of the enemies you fight in these confined areas are multiples of the same model. So you'll fight 3 zombies that are exactly the same, 4 more that are the same, and maybe 2 others that are the same, and you'll do this over and over. Sometimes they shake things up a bit by putting a bomb on them, or having some of them on fire, but the repeated use of the same models is a pretty common thing in Lollipop Chainsaw.

What I'm liking so far: The music! Punk-rock girl-power anthem ''Cherry Bomb'' from the Runaways is the first song you'll hear and it perfectly sets the tone for the rest of the game. From there forward its all rockabilly punk infused with girly sass and a dash of the golden oldies.

The menus and interface are comic-book inspired with doodles taken right out of a high-school notebook from the late 80's. Pretty awesome! I'm also really digging the grindhouse filter over everything as it gives the whole package a Z-grade movie feel that really works in its favor. Also, I like the quick-cuts, special cinemas, and interuptions that come off like weird advertisements or commercials for the very game you're playing. Mini-games are also entertaining if not a bit simple.

What I don't care for: The story is dumb which is to be expected, but this is a whole new level of stupid. Don't ask questions because you mostly won't get any answers. This is all about the look and feel and not at all about story. That's not always a bad thing, but I feel like there could be more here.

Combat seems a bit rough around the edges at times. I'd like to be able to cancel out of moves so I don't find myself mashing the square button and ending up in a combo I can't get out of. Also, the enemies can behave a bit cheaply sometimes as it takes quite a few hits to stun them before you can finish them, and the bosses have required me to repeat the same tactic of attacking from the front for a bit, leapfrogging behind them, wait for them to turn around again, leapfrog again, attack more, etc.

I'll have more on the game in this week's Moofcast at the end of the week. Check back then for more!

Giolon

Combat seems a bit rough around the edges at times. I'd like to be able to cancel out of moves so I don't find myself mashing the square button and ending up in a combo I can't get out of.

I found that the Dodge/Jump button will break you out of most combos.

Moofers

I found that the Dodge/Jump button will break you out of most combos.

Yeah, but I was hoping for more options to switch attacks if the animations hadn't finished yet. Like start a 3 hit pom-pom attack, but you've hit the button 5 times, however the animation of the 3rd hit hasn't completed yet, so if you start mashing the chainsaw button you'll switch to that instead. That kinda thing.

Might get better as I unlock more combos and stuff. Those were just quick impressions from about 2 hours of play.

Top Bottom