• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

Only still in the first level, but I already love that this game exists. It's not the most polished game mechanically, but I love the aesthetic, the banter, the one liners, the nonsense, the sparklies, and hitting zombies feels satisfying. I need to play at least one game like this every year so I know there are still devs out there just making gamey games.

And the delivery of some of these lines is absolutely hilarious.

Jarmel

Banned
Anyone got any advice for setting up dazed zombies for the Sparkle stuff. The daze aspect isn't that hard, it's the placement/location of them.

kunonabi

I'm curious about the little cheer animations that happen when you don't finish a combo. It would be nice if there was some benefit or something to getting those animations.

sarcoa

E3 only ran until Thursday. I'll give them Friday to get home. What happened to Sat, Sun and Mon? Even, Tuesday - it's Wednesday at this point. That's also assuming they didn't get the game before E3, which is why I asked when press copies went out.

If E3 is the excuse, how did Joystiq, Kotaku, and Destructoid manage to review the game? They were at E3 too.
How generous to give me friday, thank you.

Review copy/box of weird shit arrived Friday, the same day I got home. I finished e3 stories/transcribed interviews sat and sun. Started Lolli Sunday night, finished Monday night. Wrote review on Tuesday, and I imagine the writers for larger sites were much busier than I was. Not to mention e3 sucks the life out of you.

Just a guess anyway.

Cheska

How do you change Juliet's outfit? I bought the casual wear or whatever but I can't find the option to select it instead of the cheerleader outfit.

jbug617

Banned
How do you change Juliet's outfit? I bought the casual wear or whatever but I can't find the option to select it instead of the cheerleader outfit.

on the stage select there should be Juliet's home. You can change your outfit from there.

Ferrio

Banned
If you quit halfway between a stage do you start where you left off? Or do you have to do it from the beginning?

Grisby

If you quit halfway between a stage do you start where you left off? Or do you have to do it from the beginning?
The game will ask you if you want to return where the last checkpoint was. You don't have to start the stage completely over.

Giolon

One point that I keep seeing come up in reviews is the approximate statement "In order to get Sparkle Hunter bonuses, you must zombies groggy and then kill them in groups," which isn't quite correct. Any time you kill a 3 or more zombies with a single chainsaw swing will grant Sparkle Hunting bonuses - no groggy state required.

Groggy state only guarantees that a chainsaw hit will be a kill, but it's not the only way to get chainsaw kills. Simply beating up a zombie enough, or chopping off a few limbs, will weaken it sufficiently that the next chainsaw hit will kill it making it easy to decapitate groups for those great Sparkle Hunter bonuses.

TheChits

Got this bad boy today and have so far beat the the prologue and the first stage. Oh my lord this game is fun and the music is outstanding

Cheska

Oh boy, I was actually throwing out combos like crazy once I unlocked some skills but I am having a hard time beating the
cake section
in the school.

Giolon

Oh boy, I was actually throwing out combos like crazy once I unlocked some skills but I am having a hard time beating the
cake section
in the school.

The cake
was pretty infuriating. I finally succeeded by jump kicking a couple of the last wave to stun them and create distance, while comboing others in a direction away from it. It's going to take some practice to be able to beat that reliably.

JaxJag

Banned
This is so weird - why don't any of the major sites have reviews for this? Did press copies only go out on Monday or something?

Explain? The lock on works fine for me. I use it when I want to focus on a specific zombie, and I don't use it when I just need to beat up a horde.

The 2nd boss is a prime example of the awful camera/lock on.

The camera locks onto the boss, and it completely screws you when you're trying to
destroy the barrels to get more ammo
. There's a plethora of other examples, especially when you're inside the school.

Grisby

Yeah, the camera is my major complaint. It's not so bad that its ruining the game but it has that odd lag when you turn it. Also, I've had it lose its shit when fighting a couple of the bosses.

MiniDitka

The cake
was pretty infuriating. I finally succeeded by jump kicking a couple of the last wave to stun them and create distance, while comboing others in a direction away from it. It's going to take some practice to be able to beat that reliably.

I kept kicking them into the
cake
which made it blow up quicker lol.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The 2nd boss is a prime example of the awful camera/lock on.

The camera locks onto the boss, and it completely screws you when you're trying to
destroy the barrels to get more ammo
. There's a plethora of other examples, especially when you're inside the school.

Tapping the left bumper or L1 will release the lock-on. Hitting it again will lock back on to where you need to shoot.

There's another boss that tends to screw with you if you stay locked on later on. Manually managing your lock-on is pretty handy in both instances.

Cheska

The cake

I didn't have any trouble at the
cake
. Is it because I'm on normal?

I'm on normal too, and I finally beat it by using the pinwheel move and the pom poms to move the zombies back.

I didn't have any trouble at the
cake
. Is it because I'm on normal?

People just seem to have an inordinate amount of trouble with the cake section. Literally 2 zombies come at a time until the last 2 waves, and then you just have to dropkick zombies. I died once because I dropkicked one into the cake. There are 2 or 3 zombies who run, but then explode or something off-screen.

Okay is
stage 6 just a boss stage or is it a whole regular stage...
Deciding whether to dive in or wait until later.

Also, anyone know what the homing attack is? How you do it?

Haliela

Okay is

I was wondering this myself. The game likes to refer to it in a very non informative manner. That's really my only gripe with the game so far... it's very obtuse with certain things.

Other than that this game is fantastic.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Okay is

It's a stage, but a rather short one. There are some groups of regular enemies and chainsaw dashing sections before the boss.

The "homing attack" is the pom-pom bash. It automatically targets nearby enemies, with the degree to which it does so determined by how many of the homing upgrade items you've purchased.

Just finished stage 2, and, while not as enjoyable as Stage 1, it was really fun still.

I'm amazed at how consistent the dialogue between Juliet and Nick has been. They talk A LOT, so the opportunity for it to get old or meh is higher, but it has been really well done. I'm having as much fun listening to the game as I am playing it, which usually isn't the case.

Bought the
7 hit attack
, and it is fantastic. : D

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Finally.

dbf3O.jpg

Chifusa costume - good.

Lucent

I "took the plunge" and ordered it off of Amazon just now. I threw on a $5 gift card I earned through bing rewards. I noticed it said I could trade it in for a $30.75 gift card. So, if I don't like it for some odd reason, I'll only lose about $9 and just call it a rental. lol. But I'm hoping I love it as much as some of the other people who love it so I can just keep it in my collection as something wild and crazy to play every now and then.

Okay, so I beat the game on normal...now what should I be doing? How do I unlock whatever costumes are still unavailable to buy? Should I run through the higher difficulties? Should I do the rank mode thing? What is the difference if any?

Sidenote: The
Shiro
costume is INSANE

Also, how do you get the best ending?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Okay, so I beat the game on normal...now what should I be doing? How do I unlock whatever costumes are still unavailable to buy? Should I run through the higher difficulties? Should I do the rank mode thing? What is the difference if any?

Sidenote: The
Shiro
costume is INSANE

I love that costume and also
Haruna
and
Manyu

JEKKI

grrrr I still hate the controls!!!

and there's no button config!! I have to keep memorizing ahead of time what buttons I wanna press instead of letting it flow naturally!!

so in the heat of everything I jus keep eff'ing up

and I finished the prologue... all D D D D D D D D D D D rank!!!

grrrrr any tips?!?! or this this to be expected given that I dont have all these upgrades??

grrrr I still hate the controls!!!

and there's no button config!! I have to keep memorizing ahead of time what buttons I wanna press instead of letting it flow naturally!!

so in the heat of everything I jus keep eff'ing up

and I finished the prologue... all D D D D D D D D D D D rank!!!

grrrrr any tips?!?! or this this to be expected given that I dont have all these upgrades??

All D's is definitely not to be expected for the prologue if you are playing on normal for your first time, but things REALLY get better once you start buying upgrades. You really need a couple of the buyable combos to reasonably get the job done and the damage upgrades help immensely. Just keep practicing though and you'll start to get the hang of it

RedSwirl

This game is proving to me that I'm just not a Suda 51 fan, no matter how much I might want to be. I've yet to touch one of his games where I didn't think the game, on a technical level, wasn't a mess to some degree.

He really, really needs to pair up with people who know what actual gameplay polish is.

Boom. This is what I felt like playing No More Heroes 2 (Tiger transformation notwithstanding). I'll admit that so far this game's combat system is better than NMH2, especially as you get upgrades, and it's more challenging, but it's still nowhere near, say, Platinum Games.

This game is getting a little bit better, but it doesn't immediately change the fact that you mainly play Suda games for their personality.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"What's your favourite colour Nick?"
"Blue, no wait, green"
"Hehe, I love learning more about you!"
"I fucked up. It was yellow."

Ferrio

Banned
"What's your favourite colour Nick?"
"Blue, no wait, green"
"Hehe, I love learning more about you!"
"I fucked up. It was yellow."

Okay since I'm new to suda games... who's writing this stuff? Is Suda a Monty Python fan, or is there some translation team I need to kiss?

Top Bottom