• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

JEKKI

All D's is definitely not to be expected for the prologue if you are playing on normal for your first time, but things REALLY get better once you start buying upgrades. You really need a couple of the buyable combos to reasonably get the job done and the damage upgrades help immensely. Just keep practicing though and you'll start to get the hang of it
so how do u play?!?!

I try using melee, I gotta hit a single zombie like 12+ times before they dizzy.

I try using jump + melee, but it never aims right and again only hits one dood at a time.

I try using the yellow chainsaw button over but as I attack a small group a larger group comes and eats me.

so I try to use a combo, melee, melee, melee, jump, chainsaw, but again it sux coz I wish the jump button were switched with the down-saw button so I can play this game like Bayonetta taught me how to...

no for reals Im really struggling...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Okay since I'm new to suda games... who's writing this stuff? Is Suda a Monty Python fan, or is there some translation team I need to kiss?

James Gunn. Suda wasn't actually that involved in Lollipop Chainsaw. Its kinda like NMH2 and Shadows of The Damned.

How do you pick up the phone? I swear I pressed every button on the controller and nothing happens. The game doesn't even tell what button to press. What the fuck...

What do you have to do to get the best ending too? If it's save the students, then I'm screwed already.

So far it's kinda fun, but the lack of combos in the beginning is hurting.

Grisby

How do you pick up the phone? I swear I pressed every button on the controller and nothing happens. The game doesn't even tell what button to press. What the fuck...

What do you have to do to get the best ending too? If it's save the students, then I'm screwed already.

So far it's kinda fun, but the lack of combs in the beginning is hurting.
To 'pick up' the phone go to Juilet's stash in the main menu. The phone calls are under a tab there. There's no real button to answer them, the just collect on the menu and you listen to them from there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought this today. Looking forward to starting soon.

Vazra

I like the news that the game is 7th and 8th spot in amazon best sellers in US and 1st and 3rd place in UK

Also best seller on gamestop

Nice.

Edit:
3rd and 4th spot in Best Buy.

I like the news that the game is 7th and 8th spot in amazon best sellers in US and 1st and 3rd place in UK

Nice.

New releases are always best sellers in their release week. It's the staying power for the next couple weeks that matter.

Vazra

New releases are always best sellers in their release week. It's the staying power for the next couple weeks that matter.

Might be that or the fact there isn't much competition right now on the summer. At least IMO there is not much competition until August which is where all the heavy hitters are gonna start coming. The only thing that would have been competition was Anarchy Reigns and no one knows what is gonna happen to that one so far so it might be easy for the game to achieve good sales.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So is (stage 2, 3 if you count the prologue, spoiler)
zombie baseball
one of those things like the big boner section in Shadows of the Damned where people complain about it being too difficult / impossible and then I beat it first time quite easily?

kunonabi

Nice.

Edit:
3rd and 4th spot in Best Buy.

Hopefully it does well. Most fun I've had with a game since the Anarchy Reigns Demo.

zombie baseball
one of those things like the big boner section in Shadows of the Damned where people complain about it being too difficult / impossible and then I beat it first time quite easily?

Yep. Reminds me of everybody's trouble with Other M's "Pixel hunts". It still boggles my mind that people had trouble with those.

zombie baseball

That was easy as hell. There was nothing to it. Was playing on normal. The Big Boner sections were more annoying to me by far.

dreamfall

ALRIGHT. Awesome! Finished the game once, on my way to unlock all these costumes! "Pink Rider" is ridiculously expensive- not that my Juliet would rock that anyway...

I immediately started a new playthrough and it feels so damn good with the combo unlocks from before. I think it's much easier to get some of the Sparkle medals on the earlier levels, and there definitely are a ton of items to unlock. Loving every second of it! Now if I could only get that Rockabilly get up!

I must also add that I love the bosses. Each of them has so much style, and the fights are really fun/different/psychotic. Nothing felt difficult on Normal for me, and I'm not very skilled with these action type games.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Got to Stage 4 last night. I have to say I'm not really enjoying the game. There's a lot that bothers me about the controls and the gameplay, and the constant sports mini games are the bane of my existence.

I guess I was expecting something else with the game. The aesthetics are fantastic, and I really love the dialogue, but the gameplay is just not doing it for me. I think I'm just pampered by Kamiya games.

I'll probably finish it, but I'll probably end up selling the game when I'm done to pick up Gravity Rush.

That was easy as hell. There was nothing to it. Was playing on normal. The Big Boner sections were more annoying to me by far.

I found the Big Boner sections less annoying than the sports stuff in this. I dunno, maybe I'm just weird.

RedSwirl

Is it just me or does this game have way too many scripted events/mechanics? Great use of UE3 though. I forgot this game was even running on UE3 until a cut scene reloaded and the textures had to load back in.

Finished stage 2. Second boss was a little bit easier than the first. The
zombie baseball
section wasn't too bad. Is there a harder version later on? Anyway, still really loving this game.

Finished stage 2. Second boss was a little bit easier than the first. The
zombie baseball
section wasn't too bad.
I died for the first time on that section because I didn't realize
I had an ammo counter. Since the bullets kept respawning in front of me so quickly, I assumed it was a one-shot weapon. Yeah... It wasn't until he was half dead that I realized I was an idiot.

cj_iwakura

This game is proving to me that I'm just not a Suda 51 fan, no matter how much I might want to be. I've yet to touch one of his games where I didn't think the game, on a technical level, wasn't a mess to some degree.

He really, really needs to pair up with people who know what actual gameplay polish is.

I think the OP needs 'NOT A SUDA 51 GAME' in big bold font.

"Quit making fun of Stephen Hawking!"

Funniest game I've played since Saints Row 3....coincidentally, its the only other game I know of that has a character speaking in autotune.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yep. Reminds me of everybody's trouble with Other M's "Pixel hunts". It still boggles my mind that people had trouble with those.

I recall having trouble with one Other M pixel hunt, and by 'trouble' I mean I had no idea what I was doing and it took longer than it should have. Otherwise there was no problem. Big Boner was easy, just this.
Maybe zombie baseball is much harder on 'hard'. On normal I can't really see how you could screw it up unless you cant aim for shit. Almost all the zombies die in one hit and ammo is plentiful.

Anyway, stage finished. Boss was very underwhelming.
As a metal fan I was hoping they'd nail the music and mood of the fight, but it was kinda sucka. The dialogue wasn't as punchy as Zed's, and the battle was strangely quiet. Shadows of the Damned was more metal than this :/

As a whole I'm enjoying Lollipop Chainsaw, but it's no Shadows of the Damned. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the combat system. People say you shouldn't compare it to games like Bayonetta, but fact of the matter is Lollipop Chainsaw plays like an almost pure brawler. Combat is the foundation for the game, and unlike No More Heroes the focus is on combos and dodging versus fast, visceral play.

Not being able to break out of combos unless dodging really hurts the feel of combos for me. It's pretty dumb design.

I think the OP needs 'NOT A SUDA 51 GAME' in big bold font.

I think people need to make an effort to ween themselves off the phrase "Suda51 game" and replace it with "Grasshopper game".

mollipen

I think people need to make an effort to ween themselves off the phrase "Suda51 game" and replace it with "Grasshopper game".

Would "games that have the taint of having Suda 51 anywhere near them" please people better then? *heh* Because, I don't care what role he has on the project, I'll still say that his curse seeped into it.

Ahahaha, the dialogue in this game is amazing. Just beat the first boss
(Zed)
and it was so damn fun.

I know Suda's involvement isn't that big, but everything about this just makes me think the guy watched Grindhouse and then decided to make a zombie game. Everything about it is so amazingly over the top and I love it (outside of the atrocious load times on the PS3 version).

Edit: lol, and now I see the discussion above me.

Sigh, Shidoshi, almost everyone in this thread loves the game, we really don't need to start this, do we? If you don't like it, there's really no point in you being here.

CO_Andy

Would "games that have the taint of having Suda 51 anywhere near them" please people better then? *heh* Because, I don't care what role he has on the project, I'll still say that his curse seeped into it.
As someone who's a fan of Rule of Rose and Deadly Premonition, surely you can look pass Suda's faults and appreciate his zaniness.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I chose continue->no after the birthday cake and now it's put me back half an hour or more?

No thanks, game. No thanks. Back on the shelf you go for a while.

Wow, post game combat, aka once you have all the combos, is an entirely different game. I am embarassed by my first few stages' scores now that I am an unstoppable combo machine. X, X, X, X, Y, Y all day for massive sparkle medals

JEKKI

I like this game but...

oVjUw.jpg

I still suck!!!

am I really the only one?!?! is everyone except for me amazing at this game?!?!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so, am I just mistaken?

when you spit down to play a level you have to play all the way to the end, or you lose your progress in the level?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I like this game but...

oVjUw.jpg

I still suck!!!

am I really the only one?!?! is everyone except for me amazing at this game?!?!

I've gotten better through playing. By some miracle I got A's on Stage 5 and 6 my first time through, but my first time through the School I got a C+. Going back I got a B+. Still need that A rank.

so, am I just mistaken?

when you spit down to play a level you have to play all the way to the end, or you lose your progress in the level?

That's a bit weird. I know if you pause and THEN quit it starts you at the next chekpoint if you go to the title screen and choose start game again.

JEKKI

well the good news is from the looks of the score, damage and health items do not punish you??

and all my deaths were from QTEs coz I never learned what the xbox buttons are

(I learned the psx buttons back in the days from playing Parappa lol)

so I basically needa learn how to get more medals??

How do you make zombies drop more medals?

and any tips for Sparkling?!?! the camera makes it really hard to group dizzy enemies together... let alone dizzy them to begin with

Nakazato

I got the game today and beat it today. But i will say I had a blast with the boss battles and am going to replay it on easy to try to get all the trophies.Just wish it was longer.

Top Bottom