• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I got the game today and beat it today. But i will say I had a blast with the boss battles and am going to replay it on easy to try to get all the trophies.Just wish it was longer.

You have to play on Very Hard to get all the Trophies. There's some enemies you only encounter in Very Hard difficulty mode.

am I really the only one?!?! is everyone except for me amazing at this game?!?!
I got a B earlier!

I think it's more a matter of getting those abilities that will help change the grades to the upper tier stuff. I hope. : (

I'm usually awful at these games, but I love playing them.

mollipen

Sigh, Shidoshi, almost everyone in this thread loves the game, we really don't need to start this, do we? If you don't like it, there's really no point in you being here.

I was under the impression that threads for games existed for talking about games, which I've been bringing up as I played through it. I really, really wanted to like this game, and do in terms of the characters, story, and humor. But as far as gameplay, I think it's funny that every game I've played that had some connection to Suda 51 has felt the same way—rough and unpolished in unnecessary ways.

I'm glad that other people are liking it, but I don't think that means I can't express my frustrations with the game so long as (a) I'm not just trolling it, and (b) I'm not mocking others for enjoying it. I just, man... I so desperately wanted to like this game, because all of the non-gameplay elements are right up my alley.

CO_Andy said:
As someone who's a fan of Rule of Rose and Deadly Premonition, surely you can look pass Suda's faults and appreciate his zaniness.

Rule of Rose was a game that was never going to be good, and I knew that. *laughs* Deadly Premonition is an interesting point, because part of me wants to say it gets more leeway than Lollipop, and another says there's no reason that it should. But, really—I'd probably put Lollipop on the same level as DP, and I guess I expected more from Lollipop than I did from DP.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I think it was a big mistake for the game to make so many moves unlockable instead of simply allowing the player to use them from the start. I've beaten the game on Normal and Hard now, and the game feels nothing like it did at the beginning. The starting moveset is absurdly limited and makes the game feel clunkier than it needs to. If they just gave half the moves you have to unlock to you from the word go I think the game would start off on a far better foot.

Just unlocking the throw move blew my mind a bit. They went to the trouble of animating all these crazy pro wrestling moves for Juliet to use and I didn't even know they existed until halfway through my second playthrough. I can't conceive of a reason why the game should have kept them locked away for so long.

Lucent

I think it was a big mistake for the game to make so many moves unlockable instead of simply allowing the player to use them from the start. I've beaten the game on Normal and Hard now, and the game feels nothing like it did at the beginning. The starting moveset is absurdly limited and makes the game feel clunkier than it needs to. If they just gave half the moves you have to unlock to you from the word go I think the game would start off on a far better foot.

That actually makes me feel better. At least I'll know if it feels kinda lame at first, I just need to unlock more stuff. I think it's weird people say it looks/feels janky, but when watched some trailers/videos, things looked smooth to me. Maybe people have different standards/views. Or their eyes work differently. lol

Jarmel

Banned
I like this game but...

oVjUw.jpg

I still suck!!!

am I really the only one?!?! is everyone except for me amazing at this game?!?!

Don't be concerned at all about ranks your first time through. You don't have some of the abilities needed to rip through the enemies and get the Sparkles yet and stuff like in Stage 4 had a ton one-hit death shit that would suck your first time through.

I got a B earlier!

I think it's more a matter of getting those abilities that will help change the grades to the upper tier stuff. I hope. : (

I'm usually awful at these games, but I love playing them.

The combos make a world of difference. Just got the ultimate chainsaw one,xxxyy, and it rips through enemies like they're butter.

Sigh, Shidoshi, almost everyone in this thread loves the game, we really don't need to start this, do we? If you don't like it, there's really no point in you being here.

He's allowed to complain, the whole point of an OT is to hear commentary, not just positive comments.

Just unlocking the throw move blew my mind a bit. They went to the trouble of animating all these crazy pro wrestling moves for Juliet to use and I didn't even know they existed until halfway through my second playthrough. I can't conceive of a reason why the game should have kept them locked away for so long.

Definitely agree on that.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
You have to play on Very Hard to get all the Trophies. There's some enemies you only encounter in Very Hard difficulty mode.

Pretty sure this is false. I have every achievement except the "Kiss Nick 100 times" and "completing every stage in rank mode" and I haven't even touched Very Hard mode. All the enemies can be encountered on regular Hard mode and
1 is hidden on a stage in rank mode.

Future

Good. Playing now and these tiny repetitive combos are bothering me. Cake section was misery. Weird auto targeting and clunky moves made me have to restart that 8 times I think holy shit.

mudkyp

Saving the final stage for tomorrow. Then I think I'll go ahead and go for the platinum since it doesn't look to be too hard. A very pleasant Grasshopper joint with a lot more depth to the combat than I was expecting. Really cool to see how the game opens up once you get more combos.

Jintor

The way I should approach it sounds like Bayonetta, really.

I'm kind of excited to pay an exorbitant price for this game tomorrow at Australian retail :T

I've heard "Suda games lack polish" over and over and over again, in just about every thread that has ever had to do with his games. It's one of the most frequently cited things ever having to do with Grasshopper. So I really don't feel like having to hear it again for the upteenth time.

Gets tiring.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Sounds just like Bayonetta. Awesome!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Juliet makes me feel like a dirty old man
emot-smithnouzp.gif

Giolon

I was under the impression that threads for games existed for talking about games, which I've been bringing up as I played through it. I really, really wanted to like this game, and do in terms of the characters, story, and humor. But as far as gameplay, I think it's funny that every game I've played that had some connection to Suda 51 has felt the same way—rough and unpolished in unnecessary ways.
I'm sorry, but what's wrong with the gameplay? Aside from a couple of the minigames/events (
the cake comes to mind
, the controls are responsive, the scoring system rewards skilled play, and there's a laundry list of unlockables to work towards, a bunch of which improve your effectiveness and give a nice sense of character power progression.

Juliet makes me feel like a dirty old man
emot-smithnouzp.gif
You should, perv!

EYEL1NER

I've finally got a job lined up!
I'll be able to buy this soon!
Can't wait to hear that sweet, sweet Jimmy Urine music...

G.O.O.

so, am I just mistaken?

when you spit down to play a level you have to play all the way to the end, or you lose your progress in the level?
I've read this on geekrevolt's review :

Quitters Never Win – The quit option on the pause screen seems bugged. It says, “You will lose all progress beyond the last checkpoint!” But guess what? If you quit from the menu you’ll just lose all your progress. You’ll still have your unlockables, but you’ll have to start over from the beginning of the stage when you reboot the game.
Quitters Never Win Part II – This is normal for some games, but I’m almost positive this is a bug in Lollipop Chainsaw’s case. Luckily this can be avoided by quitting via the home button on the Xbox 360 or PS3. Now you can start at the last checkpoint once you reboot the game (if the first thing isn’t a bug this is, both methods of quitting should take you back to the same checkpoint).

Apologies if this has been asked, but which version is the better performing one? or are the differences minimal? Any version exclusives etc?

Caelestis

Still waiting and waiting on this game to arrive, but curious, how easy or hard a plat is for it? Anything missable or any suggestions to make it easier?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Apologies if this has been asked, but which version is the better performing one? or are the differences minimal? Any version exclusives etc?

No exclusive content. If you have the option, maybe got the 360 build. It's a UE3 engine game, and a Grasshopper one at that, so I suspect little technical details perform better on the Xbox.

Still waiting and waiting on this game to arrive, but curious, how easy or hard a plat is for it? Anything missable or any suggestions to make it easier?

It's pretty hard when you start out, you definately need to purchase a couple of moves/combos before you even have a chance to start to collect plat medals.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
If I import the game from the UK (since that would only be about half the price compared to buying it here in Norway), can I still buy DLC costumes off PSN (provided they are put up for sale), or will they be region locked to the UK, so to speak (the code for American McGee's Alice that came with Alice: Madness Returns was, by a mistake, a UK code, and it could not be redeemed via my PSN account)?

Finally got around to finishing Stage 1 last night after grinding a bunch in the Prologue.
The birthday cake scene wasnt TOO bad. Died about four times. The final waves kamikaze was what kept screwing me up. It's all about those absolute precise drop kicks.

Regarding the Zed troph for the ball dodging,
are those the disc like things he throws at you after you knock him off the speaker and are actually fighting him? Its like a mini QTE sequence...

I chose continue->no after the birthday cake and now it's put me back half an hour or more?

No thanks, game. No thanks. Back on the shelf you go for a while.

Dude seriously? I ended up having to start the stage over too from the cake scene after I found out that changin your outfit mid stage resets it. No big deal. I got back to the cake in about 10 or 12 minutes. No joke. When you know what youre doing and are kicking ass you can really plow through.

EatChildren

For the sake of everyone in this thread, please learn how to multiquote.

Oh, I meant the plat from trophies on PSN or archivements.

Pretty easy to get most of them, I'd say. For the ones related to how you beat a boss, if you mess up, you can pause and restart last checkpoint, which should start you at the beginning of the boss fight, so that certainly helps. The ones I think are troublesome:

The Gondola game going up the building, without shooting. tbh, this might be the hardest one in the game, at least I can think of. Man, I will not be going for that one anymore

To rank in Ranking mode, you have to beat the stage with no continues. Some of the minigames (bday cake, baseball, gondola) make me fear this, so I'm not even sure if I'm going to try for those at all. there's 1 achievement for ranking in all stages

SUPARSTARX

Finally got around to finishing Stage 1 last night after grinding a bunch in the Prologue.
The birthday cake scene wasnt TOO bad. Died about four times. The final waves kamikaze was what kept screwing me up. It's all about those absolute precise drop kicks.

Regarding the Zed troph for the ball dodging,
are those the disc like things he throws at you after you knock him off the speaker and are actually fighting him? Its like a mini QTE sequence...

Bash the speakers down asap.

Bash the speakers down asap.

yeah i know that. but
after you bash the speakers and youre fighting him on the ground, he throws these projectiles at you and its a one button prompt QTE to dodge and I THINK you attack too but Im not sure. I wanted to see if that was what you had to dodge and counter 15 times to get the trophy

And LOL at the IGN review.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
yeah i know that. but
after you bash the speakers and youre fighting him on the ground, he throws these projectiles at you and its a one button prompt QTE to dodge and I THINK you attack too but Im not sure. I wanted to see if that was what you had to dodge and counter 15 times to get the trophy

And LOL at the IGN review.

The review seems like they played the whole game with the starting move set.

God Hand of this generation! LOL

Top Bottom