• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yup, the first thing to do in LC is go into the options screen and turn OFF the auto aim setting.

I beat the baseball section the first time. No problem at all.

Nothing as bad as Big Boner in LC.

Also, I think EatChildren must have been the little kid from "The Wizard" when he was growing up, if he thought Big Boner and Dead Space Asteroids were easy, "one time" affairs.

Was the "Big Boner" section where you're standing on a roof top and have to shoot at larger demons coming down different streets at you? If so, I didn't have difficulty with that either. I think I had to replay it once.

Yup, the first thing to do in LC is go into the options screen and turn OFF the auto aim setting.

I beat the baseball section the first time. No problem at all.

Was the "Big Boner" section where you're standing on a roof top and have to shoot at larger demons coming down different streets at you? If so, I didn't have difficulty with that either. I think I had to replay it once.

Put me in the car with the peeps that had no issues with the Big Boner or asteroids as well. I'll be doing the baseball game for the first time tonight (assuming I dont get caught up grinding for medals which has been whats been happening since Tuesday) so we'll see.

TheChits

The baseball section was really easy for me and I haven't even turned off auto-aim. I've beaten the game and I never ran into any trouble with auto-aim

LuchaShaq

Banned
Congratz on not being the target audience of the product.

I loved saints row 3 and I assumed this would be clever horror/humor and solid action.

Saints row was clever and juvenile. This was lazy and childish if I'm being kind.

I got mediocre easy action and lazy shitty humor.

So not sure why I wasn't the target.

Lucent

Congratz on not being the target audience of the product.

Yep. I feel like maybe people who don't like this are taking it way too seriously and/or are looking at it the wrong way. It sounds like the things being said in the game aren't like when you were a kid and kids said curse words and crap like that just to get a laugh because, at the time, stuff like that was funny to you. Just hearing something messed up that could get you in trouble by adults. This game sounds more like they're saying things for a reason, and you have to be in tune with what it's aiming for in order to enjoy the humor.

I've watched a few gameplay videos on YouTube of the beginning and some of the school. I thought it was hilarious. And while they might've sucked at the combat, one guy actually seemed like he was really enjoying it and flipped over just buying one move that made you jab your chainsaw.

Besides the load times I hear about on the PS3...I'm sure I'll enjoy this, and then get banned from my friend's house for playing this in front of him. XD

so is it possible to save the sos chick hanging from the window over the lockers in stage 1?

Certainly is. Got her the first time. Anytime Ive seen a classmate in the distance, I just run directly towards them and ignore the surrounding zombies. Should work for you too. Just run right towards the three that are standing underneath her. What she says when you save her is pretty comical too.

Ferrio, do you have any Nick Tickets?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
About how long, on estimate, do you think it would take to unlock absolutely everything in LC? I still plan on getting it regardless, of course, but it'd be nice to know the upper amount of time I could put into it.

Dizzle24

How the hell do you use Nick Popper, the directions say push the L3 button.. but that doesn't do crap.

Need "Nick Tickets" to use Nick Roulette. Press L3 when you have a ticket, a slot machine screen appears and if you are lucky, you get to use a Nick power. I have been lucky on my 4 attempts... Good luck!

Ferrio

Banned
Certainly is. Got her the first time. Anytime Ive seen a classmate in the distance, I just run directly towards them and ignore the surrounding zombies. Should work for you too. Just run right towards the three that are standing underneath her. What she says when you save her is pretty comical too.

Ferrio, do you have any Nick Tickets?

Oh you need tickets? I think I used a ticket once... during my playthrough.

TGMIII

How the hell do you use Nick Popper, the directions say push the L3 button.. but that doesn't do crap.

You need to have or buy a nick ticket. Press L3 and a roulette will start, you'll have to time your button press so that it lands on one of the nick icons. There's different icons for different nick powers, nick popper being one of them. Not sure why the guy above is talking about luck since it's all on you to time it.

kunonabi

Turns out I saved the first time. I wasn't sure since the explosive zombie will actually drag through the window if you're too slow which is a pretty nice touch. It was the last loser that I missed.

Josta

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I have one quick question. Is it possible to access the chop2shop store from the game menu or Juliet's house? Or are you only ably to purchase items at the kiosks scattered around the levels?

JaxJag

Banned
It's not supposed to be humorous because they're saying naughty words, but because the gendered insults leveled at Juliet are completely incongruous with the way in which she's portrayed.

The game's unapologetically low-brow, but it's got some streaks of cleverness in it.

I understand what the humor is, but just because it tries doesn't mean it actually succeeds.

But that's the last bad thing I'll say about the game. I do not want to come across like i'm trolling. I'm going to try and finish it tonight, i'm on the 3rd area right now.

NeoRausch

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I have one quick question. Is it possible to access the chop2shop store from the game menu or Juliet's house? Or are you only ably to purchase items at the kiosks scattered around the levels?

The last.

but as you need medals to do so you need to be in the lvl anyway. No prob there.

I loved saints row 3 and I assumed this would be clever horror/humor and solid action.

Saints row was clever and juvenile. This was lazy and childish if I'm being kind.

I got mediocre easy action and lazy shitty humor.

So not sure why I wasn't the target.

You will be missed. Thanks for your comments!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Uh...is zombie baseball a reoccuring minigame that gets extremely hard later? If not, how on earth are people having trouble with that? I just did it and Nick never even got hit.

dkeane

Uh...is zombie baseball a reoccuring minigame that gets extremely hard later? If not, how on earth are people having trouble with that? I just did it and Nick never even got hit.
Maybe they're playing on a higher difficulty? I'm on normal and also had no problem beating it.

I just finished the game. While I definitely had fun and enjoyed the game I am little disappointed that stage 1 was the best stage by a large margin. The last boss was very lame and anti climatic. I'm still gonna play some more though.

I still have much time to spend on Lollipop Chainsaw so my opinion my sway. But I felt in terms of channelling Resident Evil 4, and as a third person shooter that relied on accurate shooting without a cover system, Shadows of the Damned hit the nail right on the head. Great variety in locations, encounters, enemies, and battle tactics were topped by a brilliant sense of humour, great art and incredible soundtrack.

A friend described Shadows of the Damned as a like playing through a heavy metal album, and that's the best way I could describe it. Outside of a lack of unlockables (the only big flaw I'd give the game), I felt Shadows of the Damned was a loaded game.

Lollipop is good, but for level design and encounters it feels several notches below. Largely because it's shorter, and relies more on replay value and the a combat system cornerstone. Shadow's design appeals to me more. And, even though I love Lollipop's style, on a technical level it feels like a cheaper game to me. Shadows was more cohesive and rich looking.

I really loved Shadows, is what I'm saying :p.
Well shit. This single post (and in particular the bolded sentence) completely sold me on a game I've never heard of before.

And how on earth HAVEN'T I heard of it? No More Heroes 1 (and to a lesser extent 2) are some of my favorite games this gen, due to the sheer creativity and style that ooze from their every orifice. I've only played those two Suda games, but they have made me a huge fan of the studio. I've never been able to track down Killer 7 at a decent price, and I can't justify buying Lollipop Chainsaw when it seems I'll be able to beat the whole thing at least twice on a weekend rental, but this Shadows of the Damned game sounds awesome.

But no new game plus or unlockables? Should I assume then the game doesn't have much longevity or replay value? It looks like Gamestop has it used for $25, but I am SO strapped for cash this summer that I can't justify it unless I'm really getting a great value

Lucent

I just finished the game. While I definitely had fun and enjoyed the game I am little disappointed that stage 1 was the best stage by a large margin. The last boss was very lame and anti climatic. I'm still gonna play some more though.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY~!??!!!??

lol I don't like hearing that but hopefully it doesn't do much to ruin the game for me. It would be nice though if there were more to the school setting though. I know schools are only so big but yeah.

kunonabi

It seemed like stage 1 was twice the size of every other stage. I totally agree about the final boss. I thought the bosses were the weakest part of the game actually. The stage 2 and 3 bosses were pretty meh as well.

Ferrio

Banned
Well shit. This single post (and in particular the bolded sentence) completely sold me on a game I've never heard of before.

And how on earth HAVEN'T I heard of it? No More Heroes 1 (and to a lesser extent 2) are some of my favorite games this gen, due to the sheer creativity and style that ooze from their every orifice. I've only played those two Suda games, but they have made me a huge fan of the studio. I've never been able to track down Killer 7 at a decent price, and I can't justify buying Lollipop Chainsaw when it seems I'll be able to beat the whole thing at least twice on a weekend rental, but this Shadows of the Damned game sounds awesome.

But no new game plus or unlockables? Should I assume then the game doesn't have much longevity or replay value? It looks like Gamestop has it used for $25, but I am SO strapped for cash this summer that I can't justify it unless I'm really getting a great value

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3675-Shadows-of-the-Damned

kunonabi

Shadows of the Damned is a fun rental and nothing more.

Just got from Amazon. Torn on returning it and trying my luck getting the costume codes via a local one from GameStop, as it looks like none came with my copy. Really just want the Rockabilly costume (360), but didn't pre-order so not getting one from Amazon that way.

Arsin

Just ordered mine from amazon and it should be here tomorrow. After reading most of the impressions here I figured it would be worth my monies. Any newbie tips I should know about before I get started tomorrow?

kunonabi

Just ordered mine from amazon and it should be here tomorrow. After reading most of the impressions here I figured it would be worth my monies. Any newbie tips I should know about before I get started tomorrow?

Spend medals on moves instead of the stat stuff first. Dropkicks are your friends early, don't just sit on the super meter. It's great for killing the powered up zombies and getting spark hunter kills to earn medals. Severing limbs make zombies easier to kill but don't spam the chainsaw string since it doesn't really sever limbs as well as the strings that start with pom pom attacks first. That's what helped me early on and started with Hard mode right off the bat.

Boo hoo someone wants to talk about a game they played without thinking its amazing.

Worst trend on gaf is that any official thread is often just a circle jerk.

Not sure if you read your own post, but you insulted the game at every single turn, in a overally aggressive tone, as if the developers ran over your dog. There's creative critisim, then there's what you did.

Arsin

Spend medals on moves instead of the stat stuff first. Dropkicks are your friends early, don't just sit on the super meter. It's great for killing the powered up zombies and getting spark hunter kills to earn medals. Severing limbs make zombies easier to kill but don't spam the chainsaw string since it doesn't really sever limbs as well as the strings that start with pom pom attacks first. That's what helped me early on and started with Hard mode right off the bat.

Thanks for all the info! I can't wait to get my copy tomorrow.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I understand what the humor is, but just because it tries doesn't mean it actually succeeds.

But that's the last bad thing I'll say about the game. I do not want to come across like i'm trolling. I'm going to try and finish it tonight, i'm on the 3rd area right now.

Fair enough. I think that, broadly speaking, the idea that it's impossible to satirize or parody something by creating an intentionally extreme example of it because any such satire can also be interpreted as a direct example of the thing being satirized isn't entirely without merit. It's not a line of thinking I ascribe to personally, but I'm unwilling to dismiss the notion out of hand, and going by that philosophy Lollipop Chainsaw's humor is ineffective.

I'm not claiming that that's the argument you're making, to be clear, I'm just saying that I understand how the way in which the game satirizes its subject matter can fall flat or backfire entirely.

It's a zombie game because everyone views her as a piece of meat.

I gotta confess that I really wish I had thought of this post first.

So how do you actually go about unlocking costumes after beating story mode on normal? Do I continue on to hard? Do I have to specifically do ranked mode?

Also, is there any way to tell whether or not I saved all the people in a certain stage? Or do I literally have to go through each stage making sure I accomplish it?

Not sure if you read your own post, but you insulted the game at every single turn, in a overally aggressive tone, as if the developers ran over your dog. There's creative critisim, then there's what you did.

It's his opinion. If he doesn't like it and feels upset over the game, then he can vent however he wants. Too many people get butthurt when they read negative comments over something they like. Personally I really like the game, but I still don't think it's fair to shit on someone who doesn't.

Juliet's butt move is OP against special zombies.

How do you do this move? I'm getting my ass kicked and I usually do really well in action games.

kunonabi

So how do you get #15 under the Master Zombie Hunting Guide? I beat the whole game and I didn't get that one for some reason.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
My copy came today, and I'm on Stage 4 right now.

Not really feeling it. =\

Try finishing the game and unlocking more moves. Probably you need to expand the move set if not well the game is a Grasshopper game which most if not all are a love or hate relationship.

Top Bottom