• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

branny

I'm still not sure how I feel about this game. I don't think its style, script, or spirit are as strong as other Suda games, but it's mechanically stronger than stuff like No More Heroes 1 and 2. There are still annoying, pervasive, underdeveloped, filler "palate cleansers" that can sometimes be so awful they turn fun moments into harrowing ones, especially when you're playing for score.

Speaking of that, the score system and combat mechanics aren't deep enough to keep me hooked, especially since I already bought pretty much everything I wanted from the store after unlocking some more stuff. Stages are too long for this kind of play (ideally, they would've been 10~30 minutes with the option to completely turn off every intrusive cutscene beforehand), and it seems like the only score differences for zombie kills are Sparkle Hunting or no Sparkle Hunting (type of attack only seems to matter for speed, but I could have been counting wrong). I like that Hard and Very Hard mix things up, but eh. I don't know where I saw it, but the comparison of LC to Dreamcast-era arcade games is apt (though, realistically, not as flattering as it sounds).

Combat essentially boils down to Dynasty Warriors-esque, finisher-heavy crowd control that does a nice little risk/reward thing in terms of animation speed and the groggy stuff. It's just...not up to par with other action games that I could be spending my time playing instead. It's unfair to be that demanding, but it's the sad truth. I think a few of the bosses are pleasantly memorable, especially after seeing them change a smidge on higher difficulties. There are just tiny things everywhere that lack technical precision or a close attention to detail. Using my favorite boss as an example (Zed), the final "Yeah" bullet hell dodging sequence goes on about 1/3 as long as it should. Juliet gets stuck after chainsawing barricades (I think letting go of the analog stick fixes this most of the time...or just jumping around until it wears off). The camera is extra unwieldy in certain scenarios. Little stuff like that. There are other things that I love--hopping around like a bunny rabbit, charging the butt bash for instant disposal of minibosses, figuring out where and when to go into Star/Mickey mode or use Nick Tickets, etc.

I'm happy that LC has its superfans here, but I guess I'm not one of them. I obviously wasn't expecting perfection, and I do not feel betrayed or burned by it in any way; I am just sad I can't love it as much as a few of you do.

CHRIST after an hour and a half I finally got the gondola achievement.

Good luck to anyone going for that. My advice is put on lots of music and go into zen mode.

So I got this, really enjoyed it. Great fun, awesome humor, fun arcade gameplay... but I'm stuck at the first time where you use the chainsaw blaster (2nd stage).. Before anyone points out that I just suck at the minigame, the controls don't seem to work. Playing at the PS3 btw., European version. I press the button and hold it but Juliet just spazzes out screaming chainsawblachains..cha..blaster...blaster...chainsawblas... and it jumps from the aimingperspective back to the regular perspective in a glitchy manner of way. it only works if I shoot at the same time and shoot over and over again which renders this scene unplayable atm. Is this a known bug? Am I missing something? It's unplayable that way since I can't aim at all when it always leaves aiming mode at once when I'm not shooting at the same time.... Help? I wanna continue this game... Tried every button. Deactivated autoaim - no change. Restarted the stage once in hope of it being a bug that just vanishes but no luck. Even tried a second controller to rule out my controller being broken. No luck. Now I quit the game and shut down the PS3 since I got really pissed but before I restart the stage a 3rd time and it still doesn't work I wanna know if maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Arsin

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Toys"R"Us is selling both versions for $44.99 online. I was able to get them to price match in store, but YMMV. Sorry if this has already been posted.

I would like to reiterate for anyone near toronto that I have a 30 $ off coupon for the game that I don't need(it's ebgames/gamestop only). No one has asked me for it yet :s. I guess all the fans in toronto came to the pre-launch event

I'm guessing you didn't beat dad's score.

iOASXK47vUW2y.gif

NeoRausch

Oh boy, Clamshell Bikini get! Aaaannnn did they add more breast physics for that costume? Seems to be more wibble wobble than normal.

and nice that the game still trigger the "don't look at my virginity!"'-animation when you pan the cam down......while juliete is more or less naked all the time. :3

85 DEATHS.

MINUS 420,000 POINTS.

WORTH IT.
I HOPE THE GUYS BELOW ME DON'T LOOK AT MY PINK BUTT
Dang it, and I was so proud of my 21 deaths. I thought I would have a really ridiculous number to beat. : (

Just finished the game. Really, really loved this game. I can't wait to go back through for the good ending.

It made me laugh because I somehow managed to beat Dad's score on the last two stages in the game. I actually got an A+ (easy) on the last stage. Imagine my surprise, considering a C was my average until today.
Personally, I blame
that 999 coin ability. : )

JambiBum

85 DEATHS.

MINUS 420,000 POINTS.

WORTH IT.

It only took me 34 tries lol. The best part is that on my very first try I got to the very last part and screwed up, not knowing that I was that close. I didn't get that close again until the time that I actually beat it. Once I realized that I was that close the first try I started to hate myself.

Squire

Banned
Has anyone figured out what you need to do for the
Rosalind/Cordelia/Dad costumes
to appear in the shop? Beat Dad's high scores?

Regarding my "Chainsaw Blaster won't work"-problem - just tries it again after a restart of the PS3 and it still glitches and won't be usable. Now I'm angry and this seriously ruins my weekend now. Is this happening to - anyone - else? European PS3 version, as I said... I sincerely hope I'm just doing something totally wrong since my controllers work in every other game where R2 and L2 are needed...

What do you guys think of the game so far?
If you enjoy any of Suda/Grasshopper's recent stuff, I think you'll really like this.

The writing/performances are EXTREMELY tongue in cheek, the presentation is an excellent throwback to all sorts of 80's (and beyond) Americana, and the combat, while not without issues, is quite rewarding when it clicks. It appears as though there will be quite a lot to go through in subsequent playthroughs, and I feel the game has more than justified the $45 price of admission.

edit:
Regarding my "Chainsaw Blaster won't work"-problem - just tries it again after a restart of the PS3 and it still glitches and won't be usable. Now I'm angry and this seriously ruins my weekend now. Is this happening to - anyone - else?
America PS3, never encountered any issues. I'm really sorry to hear that, and I hope you're able to get past it.

TGMIII

Has anyone figured out what you need to do for the
Rosalind/Cordelia/Dad costumes
to appear in the shop? Beat Dad's high scores?

The Rosalind and Cordelia popped up for me after I beat dads highscore on stage 1&2 if I remember correctly.

Regarding my "Chainsaw Blaster won't work"-problem - just tries it again after a restart of the PS3 and it still glitches and won't be usable. Now I'm angry and this seriously ruins my weekend now. Is this happening to - anyone - else? European PS3 version, as I said... I sincerely hope I'm just doing something totally wrong since my controllers work in every other game where R2 and L2 are needed...

I'm on the EU PS3 version and haven't had any issues like that. Could it be anything weird like your controller being on port 2?

I'm on the EU PS3 version and haven't had any issues like that. Could it be anything weird like your controller being on port 2?
Thanks for a European confirmation, just checked. Controller 1. Won't even work when I change it to controller 2 :( meh. Either both of my controllers are broken, my PS3 sucks or it is a really rare bug. Just checked a youtube video of the scene and it's really not supposed to be like this :D ahh this can suck a...

Well yeah, we get that part, what's tough is the fact you gotta collect all those yellow cans to maintain speed so that building doesnt crush you. Im gonna try for it tonight.

What difficulty are you playing on? I'm on Normal and I don't think the building was ever in danger of collapsing. The yellow cans are right in the way of all the medals, so you can't miss them.

Edit - Thanks for the Cheerleader Overboard tip, I'll have to do that next time I replay that stage.

TGMIII

Cool, I'll aim for 3/4 then. Was going for 2 last night, but it turns out Zombie Baseball is straight-up bullshit hard on anything but Easy.

Did it on Hard & Very Hard without Nick taking any damage. What problems are you having because I pretty much just spammed the shit out of everything and was still landing headshots easy.

Grisby

How is the game guys? Is it worth the purchase?

I'm enjoying it a lot. But I'd still say to hold off on a sale unless your into these quirky budget experiences. Lollipop is super short but it has a lot of unlockables like costumes, etc. The harder modes also introduce some newer zombies into the mix but it's still the same stages.

NeoRausch

I should stop reading this thread. Tons of posters spoiling dialogue and scenes now :(. Anyways congrats "newgameplus" for your world ranking.

Well duh, people talk about the game in the ot. Sure, most people want to spoil major stuff. But chitta chat....

whatever....oh shit did this game just reference Monty Python? Suda make me a baby in my belly!

OK i finally got it to work properly! So if anyone ever should have that problem, I had the USB transmitter for an Arcade stick in the PS3 and that somehow wrecked controls for the Chainsaw Cannon even though the stick was controller 3 and I always had it active - no other game had a problem like this with R2/L2 before. Dunno. Now it works and I'm having a blast again :D went smoothly through the baseball minigame and stage 2's boss ^^ Now enjoying funky music. Weekend is secure ;)

So I can't use my preorder costumes unless I'm connected to the internet? That's fucking bullshit.

Do you mean you need to be connected to the internet to use the code to get the costume or that once you've redeemed the code you can't use it in the game unless you're online.

Key thing to specify, that.

Kazzy

Hm, just started the game and the prologue right off the bat made a bad impression on me. Just in terms of what you can do just makes everything feel so, stilted. I get the impression that you should in theory, herd zombies to kill them all at once, but the stun takes too long to initiate and you can hardly get it effectively going as crowd control.

I've pretty much pushed forward by buying new techniques whenever I reach a store, but they feel like really basic moves that you should start with. I really don't want to bury a game before I give it a fair shake, but after completing the first boss (Zed), I can't help but feel really underwhelmed by what I've played so far.

In terms of Grasshopper games, its currently dead last for me. Maybe it just hasn't clicked for me yet, but I'm a little skeptical considering how short everyone is saying it is.

Hm, just started the game and the prologue right off the bat made a bad impression on me. Just in terms of what you can do just makes everything feel so, stilted. I get the impression that you should in theory, herd zombies to kill them all at once, but the stun takes too long to initiate and you can hardly get it effectively going as crowd control.

You can later on when you've upgraded your combos and Juliet's strength, homing attack etc.

That said, if you didn't enjoy Zed, this might not be for you. I thought it was one of the best boss battles until the penultimate one.

Giolon

I've pretty much pushed forward by buying new techniques whenever I reach a store, but they feel like really basic moves that you should start with. I really don't want to bury a game before I give it a fair shake, but after completing the first boss (Zed), I can't help but feel really underwhelmed by what I've played so far.

In terms of Grasshopper games, its currently dead last for me. Maybe it just hasn't clicked for me yet, but I'm a little skeptical considering how short everyone is saying it is.

Yes, initially it does take a while to stun zombies before you've given Juliet any Strength upgrades, but you don't need to stun them necessarily, just weaken them sufficiently. A stunned (groggy) zombie is just an auto-kill w/ the chainsaw, and you get bonus points for killing 3 or more with a single swing. As you level up Juliet and get new moves, you'll find it easier to either stun or hit large swaths of zombies w/ a single attack swing.

I thought the rate of new move accrual was ok. You can basically afford a new move or two every time you get to a Chop2Shop kiosk. Starting off with just the basics made sense to me and gave a nice feeling of power progression *shrug*.

Kazzy

You can later on when you've upgraded your combos and Juliet's strength, homing attack etc.

That said, if you didn't enjoy Zed, this might not be for you. I thought it was one of the best boss battles until the penultimate one.

I'm referring more to the game in general, the boss encounter was okay, all things considered. Overall though the gameplay doesn't feel solid to me, which is a weird issue I wasn't expecting to run into, because I love NMH.

I don't know, the comments are making it sound like the combat gets more nuance as you progress, but that seems insane to me because currently it feels like something I'm barely tolerating.

OK i finally got it to work properly! So if anyone ever should have that problem, I had the USB transmitter for an Arcade stick in the PS3 and that somehow wrecked controls for the Chainsaw Cannon even though the stick was controller 3 and I always had it active - no other game had a problem like this with R2/L2 before. Dunno. Now it works and I'm having a blast again :D went smoothly through the baseball minigame and stage 2's boss ^^ Now enjoying funky music. Weekend is secure ;)
Glad you were able to get things sorted out! Have fun! : )

Thanks :) nightshift gaming for me now, already at the end of stage 4 now. Love it! And I am already in a really great mood again thanks to the humor and the soundtrack. Oh god, the soundtrack has to be maybe the best thing about the game next to the humor!

Top Bottom