• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

Kazzy

Despite coming down on the game with my initial impressions, I just opened up Youtube with the express purpose of listening to "Hey Mickey".

...this fucking game.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow, hopefully I'll warm up to it more then.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Despite coming down on the game with my initial impressions, I just opened up Youtube with the express purpose of listening to "Hey Mickey".

...this fucking game.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow, hopefully I'll warm up to it more then.

Did you beat it up or unlocked more moves?

Kazzy

Did you beat it up and unlocked more moves?

Yeah, a couple. I got as far as the second stage before I called it a day. I figured out pretty quickly that moves were the way to go, focussing on beefing up the standard combos and (hopefully) a less plodding chainsaw technique. I find it baffling that some basic manoeuvre's seem to be locked away, which strikes me as a really bad piece of game design. Which is a shame, as my main gripe is with how simplistic it all feels. Had I not been so enamoured with previous Grasshopper games, I might just have quit already.

The concept still has me interested, even if the gameplay has been disappointing so far. Considering it was a day one purchase for me, I'm not condemning it to the backlog quite yet.

Paper Fox

It was a pain in the butt, but I cleared it on my 3rd try. What is it about it that's giving you trouble?

The auto-aim, definitely. Great with some shots, but most of the time when I tried to move the camera over to focus on Nick, as soon as I hit focus the camera would swing back to the other side of the field. I'm not fantastic with with aiming to begin with which is why I left auto on.

JohngPR

The auto-aim, definitely. Great with some shots, but most of the time when I tried to move the camera over to focus on Nick, as soon as I hit focus the camera would swing back to the other side of the field. I'm not fantastic with with aiming to begin with which is why I left auto on.

I never had that issue...most of the time I used the auto aim to get the cursor on the guy and then I pressed up on the right stick slightly to go for the head shot. Other than that, they spawn from the same areas and always kill the pitcher zombies first.

Jintor

Oh, you know what's annoying? Too often-repeating boss dialogue. Having Nick scream "We're fucked!" like a dozen times in a single lifebar is too much.

Beat this game the other day really awesome. I was having trouble with dying in the beginning until i realized i could press the D-Pad to use lollipops to recover health. The most useful/Cheap technique for me was the A,A,X horizontal chainsaw front flip move. I was using it on bosses, on waves of zombies, its safe for the most part and if timed right would often kill 3 zombies for the platinum medals. It felt alot like No More Heroes. The final boss stage and final boss are straight out of No More Heroes.

Paper Fox

I never had that issue...most of the time I used the auto aim to get the cursor on the guy and then I pressed up on the right stick slightly to go for the head shot. Other than that, they spawn from the same areas and always kill the pitcher zombies first.

Might give that method a go.
Also, I haven't searched for this yet, but does anyone know if upgrades carry over to a hard playthrough?

jediyoshi

Game just broke on me for the first time ]: Right after the first time you get to use the pole, a zombie didn't spawn so I couldn't advance.

Decided to pick one or two more stages back up before hitting the final stage for the first time. NMH has it conditioned on me at this point.

Dizzle24

What determines bad or good ending? I only continued 5 times the whole game (tried going for the Gondola trophy) and got mostly A's on all stages. I even beat Dad's score on stages 5 and 6, yet I still got the bad ending...

Volcynika

What determines bad or good ending? I only continued 5 times the whole game (tried going for the Gondola trophy) and got mostly A's on all stages. I even beat Dad's score on stages 5 and 6, yet I still got the bad ending...

Save all the classmates = good ending. Miss some = bad ending.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

To get the good ending you need to
rescue all the students. If you miss even one of them it's zombie mom for you.

Grisby

Gotta save all the student hostages.

Woah didn't know this game had 2 endings. Awesome. How can you tell if you've saved all the hostages other than remembering yourself. Also can you just go through the levels again and save the ones your missing?

Volcynika

Woah didn't know this game had 2 endings. Awesome. How can you tell if you've saved all the hostages other than remembering yourself. Also can you just go through the levels again and save the ones your missing?

I'm not sure how to tell (I think you can in-level) but there is an achievment for saving them all.

Jintor

I seem to remember some sort of UI thing displaying the amount of people you've saved, maybe it's just in the scoreboard.

Grisby

You can check in game on the main menu. It's X on the 360.
If you saved all the students in a stage once before, are you still good for it if you rerun the level and don't and then finish the game later on?
Yes. If you get the good ending the first time, you can actually choose at the end to watch the bad one.

Lucent

Game just broke on me for the first time ]: Right after the first time you get to use the pole, a zombie didn't spawn so I couldn't advance.

Decided to pick one or two more stages back up before hitting the final stage for the first time. NMH has it conditioned on me at this point.

That happened to me, too. I couldn't find it and I couldn't leave the room, so I restarted at the last checkpoint and then it was okay. Kinda weird. =/

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Just got my copy today. Enjoyed it up to the Zed fight. Got to the second half, couldn't figure out what to do, got frustrated, bored, back on the shelf it goes.

jediyoshi

That happened to me, too. I couldn't find it and I couldn't leave the room, so I restarted at the last checkpoint and then it was okay. Kinda weird. =/

Broke for me an hour later again at the
cathedral
. Didn't give me an option to start the zombie jumping bit and I couldn't exit out cause the pause menu wasn't working ]:

Yes. If you get the good ending the first time, you can actually choose at the end to watch the bad one.

Thanks for the heads up, just saw the rescue counter feature. Sure about the ending selection though? I just got the good ending for the first time and I don't believe it prompted me for a choice.

Jintor

God, QTEs are the worst. This kind of thing really makes you appreciate Bayonetta mostly letting QTEs only do minor damage most of the time.

HOWEVER

I jumped on a bunch of heads, and when Juliet landed, she said super-seriously "You are already dead". So, good job 8-4 or Gunn or Suda or whoever wrote that line.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just got my copy today. Enjoyed it up to the Zed fight. Got to the second half, couldn't figure out what to do, got frustrated, bored, back on the shelf it goes.

Putting the game back on the shelf the same day you got it?

Come on now.

LiK

just beat the first boss and this game is wonderful. this is also one of Tara Strong's best VOs , imo. so full of cuteness and charm.

Grisby

Thanks for the heads up, just saw the rescue counter feature. Sure about the ending selection though? I just got the good ending for the first time and I don't believe it prompted me for a choice.
On a replay it should.
just beat the first boss and this game is wonderful. this is also one of Tara Strong's best VOs , imo. so full of cuteness and charm.
Nick is pretty good as well. Guy should do more games.

Giolon

I seriously don't understand these people having problems with Zombie Baseball (even with auto-aim off). I've played that level 4 or 5 times and Nick has only ever gotten hit twice. It's seems like pretty standard first-person shooting gallery stuff...

Clearly there must be something wrong with that section given how many people are having trouble with it, but I just can't fathom it...

The key to zombie baseball is not to go crazy. I even have auto aim turned on, it actually helps me find the zombies and re-orient the camera. It usually only takes 1 shot to kill the zombies in normal. Make sure to take out the pitcher than all you really have to worry about are the ones coming out around Nick.

Thank you! That will be helpful.

How about for bosses? They can't get groggy right? So should I just use chainsaw for them?
yah bosses can't get dizzy for them i found myself doing the frontflip chiansaw spin thing(not sure what its called but you have to buy it). Its a really safe attack and pretty powerful. I got alot of platinum medals using it. If you ever find yourself dying too much you might wanna buy a Nick ticket from the store, when you run out of health the Nick ticket activates and a roulette mini-game comes out if you choose the Nick head you get resurrected with full health. This is good for bosses if you run out of lollipops to heal yourself with in the harder difficulties.

Giolon

Thank you! That will be helpful.

How about for bosses? They can't get groggy right? So should I just use chainsaw for them?

No - pom poms are fast attacks with immediate start up and the ability to break out of them using the Dodge/Jump button. One of the most effective tactics I've found on bosses (or even stronger zombies) is to hit them 3-4 times w/ the pom poms and then leap over their head.

Chainsaw attacks have a slower start up, do more damage, and generally lock Juliet into the animation until its finished.

The key to combat is knowing when it's safe to use the chainsaw. Nearly every video I've seen of people playing who a) sucked at the game and thus b) didn't like it have been mashing on the chainsaw button to the neglect of the pom pom attacks.

My general advice to everyone out there: Buy a few of the combos that start out w/ pom poms and end in Chainsaw. You won't regret it.

And no, bosses can't get groggy.

john tv

Make sure to take out the pitcher than all you really have to worry about are the ones coming out around Nick.
This is key. I turned auto-aim off, and made sure to always take out the pitcher ASAP, and I got it on my first try. (Was unsuccessful like 15 times in a row before that with auto-aim on.) On the last round (at least), there's dudes who self-hit balls at him too, but as long as you take them out fairly quickly, you'll have no probs.

Also a good idea to stand right on top of where the bullets respawn so you don't have to waste time worrying about refilling ammo.

Top Bottom