• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lollipop Chainsaw |OT| Nothing makes you forget about a bad E3 like a lollipop!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
If it used up your ticket when you cancel the roulette I'd have gone through dozens of the damn things just from accidentally clicking the stick in the midst of combat.

SWEET. I will just need to get better at reacting faster when I accidentally trigger it, because if I'm in the middle of trying to combo I will instinctively try to finish the combo, thus hitting the wrong button and it failing and wasting my ticket.

Good call on cancelling out the tickets. I was using em accidentally too and while I didn't really mind (going for the "Nick Kiss" trophy anyway), it kinda sucks when there's only two zombies around..

bumpkin

If you read the reviews, this game sounds like a hot mess... Bitching about the controls, "cheap one-hit deaths" and clunky counter-intuitive combat aplenty. I was pretty psyched about picking this up after having an unexpected blast with Shadows of the Damned, but it sounds like this isn't even a fraction as good. :-/

Danj

Eurogamer's review is up:

Eurogamer (6/10) said:
It all makes for an oddball game that struggles to be odd in the right way. Despite the clever, if patchy, script and some great performances - Michael Rosenbaum from Smallville is particularly good as Nick - there just isn't enough fun lurking in the combat to keep you entertained when a level goes on a bit longer than it should, when an extended joke or homage isn't quite witty enough to earn its keep, when the upgrade shop isn't filled with anything you'd really want to buy, and when the tone descends into damp sleaze. Grasshopper's latest really is a bit of a lollipop: it's sugary, colourful, insubstantial - and perhaps a bit sickly with it.

Jintor

yes, I thought it was like No More Heroes. SO SORRY.

Juliet, baby, it's Sylvia. I just wanted to let you know... that chainsaw, you wield so elegantly? It is you. You are it, and it is you. All you can do in a situation like this is to trust in yourself. Trust your force... and head for the garden... of madness!

If you read the reviews, this game sounds like a hot mess... Bitching about the controls, "cheap one-hit deaths" and clunky counter-intuitive combat aplenty. I was pretty psyched about picking this up after having an unexpected blast with Shadows of the Damned, but it sounds like this isn't even a fraction as good. :-/

I haven't run into any cheap deaths yet. I think the biggest problem with the controls is the dodge system and the leapfrogging. I'll find myself in a pack of zombies and trying to jump/dodge out and instead I'll just leapfrog over one and still be stuck in the pack. An efficient block/counter system would have made combat loads better but it still works fine overall I'd say.

So you're going to ignore all the 9/10 reviews?

I think LC is WAY more enjoyable than Shadows of the Damned. Shadows was awesome for the first 3 stages, but quickly falls apart. LC gets better the further you progress.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Juliet, baby, it's Sylvia. I just wanted to let you know... that chainsaw, you wield so elegantly? It is you. You are it, and it is you. All you can do in a situation like this is to trust in yourself. Trust your force... and head for the garden... of madness!

You have taste.

Ricker

I have the stupid Lollipop song stuck in my head thanks to this game. GRRRRRR.

I was singing the first few lines of that song last summer for a few days as well when the original trailer came out lol...people where wondering whats with the Lollipop ditty all of a sudden ;)

Jintor

My cheap deaths are almost all exclusively related to the goddamn instant-fail minigames, and on one aggravating situation, one bit during a running-over-jumps thing where despite my best efforts Juliet repeatedly ran into a wall mid-jump and plummeted to her doom.

Jarmel

Banned
My cheap deaths are almost all exclusively related to the goddamn instant-fail minigames, and on one aggravating situation, one bit during a running-over-jumps thing where despite my best efforts Juliet repeatedly ran into a wall mid-jump and plummeted to her doom.

4th stage is horrible because of the fucking minigames.

TheChits

There are no cheap one hit deaths. If you were excited about it check it out for yourself man. It's a really solid game

ixix

There are no cheap one hit deaths. If you were excited about it check it out for yourself man. It's a really solid game

Man, the instant Empire State Human starts playing Lollipop Chainsaw becomes "Cheap One Hit Deaths: The Game."

That mini-game is responsible for at least half of my game over screens.

Man, the instant Empire State Human starts playing Lollipop Chainsaw becomes "Cheap One Hit Deaths: The Game."

Heh, yeah. I made the mistake of trying for the "no shooting" trophy for that minigame on Hard difficulty yesterday... ended up with 29 deaths. I got the trophy, but fuck that minigame.

Jarmel

Banned

All of them are fucking horrible but that one in particular is full of shit and ruined a lot of my liking towards that level.

Ferrio

Banned
The only two minigames I didn't like were that empire (lasted too long, only died once), and the combine. The combine was okay, until they pulled it a second time... then it was just boring.

Is that the gondola mini-game? I just got to that. Fuck this mini-game. Dammit!

/tries again

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All of them are fucking horrible but that one in particular is full of shit and ruined a lot of my liking towards that level.

I didn't mind the first two, but fuck gondola.

Future

Most of those mini games are a pile of shit. I actually enjoyed the first couple of levels a lot on second playthrough on hard. Pretty much dread going through some of those later levels though cuz of the shooting and minigames

Swery 65 is a fan

http://instagr.am/p/L4epFLgU9m/

6a7bf28eb6a911e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
Is that the gondola mini-game? I just got to that. Fuck this mini-game. Dammit!

/tries again

Unless you are going for the achievement that requires you to complete without shooting that mini-game is incredibly easy. You can just shoot the guys that are dropping stuff.... Think it's the Y button. You can shoot everything except the UFO that drops cows I think, hell you might even be able to blow that up too. The only reason it should be frustrating is if your trying to do it without shooting for the achievement and if so good luck. I the only advice I'd give for that achievement is to just keep moving forward don't even go backwards. It's mostly luck.

Heh, yeah. I made the mistake of trying for the "no shooting" trophy for that minigame on Hard difficulty yesterday... ended up with 29 deaths. I got the trophy, but fuck that minigame.

Is getting the achievement/trophy actually possible? Once you get to a certain point it seems like you have to shoot to destroy the falling objects since they all come at the same time and there's only three squares to go between, and there's something falling in each one.

Seems like the achievement is more luck than skill, getting lucky the drops don't sync up at the same time.

EDIT:

Unless you are going for the achievement that requires you to complete without shooting that mini-game is incredibly easy. You can just shoot the guys that are dropping stuff.... Think it's the Y button. You can shoot everything except the UFO that drops cows I think, hell you might even be able to blow that up too. The only reason it should be frustrating is if your trying to do it without shooting for the achievement and if so good luck. I the only advice I'd give for that achievement is to just keep moving forward don't even go backwards. It's mostly luck.

Yeah I'm going for the achievement. Er, was at least. I'm about two tries away from just moving on because sometimes an achievement just isn't worth it.

Balphon

Is getting the achievement/trophy actually possible? Once you get to a certain point it seems like you have to shoot to destroy the falling objects since they all come at the same time and there's only three squares to go between, and there's something falling in each one.

Seems like the achievement is more luck than skill, getting lucky the drops don't sync up at the same time.

It took me about thirty tries or so to get the trophy. Like you say, you basically just need to get lucky and have them stagger their attacks enough for you to get through.

ixix

The existence of that gondola achievement is one of those things that makes me incredibly glad that I don't care one whit about achievements.

I fucked the gondola one up right at the end, didn't think the moving panels would actually kill me.

I basically made it to the very end on my first try but got killed with the goal in sight. Then I started trying to rush through on subsequent attempts because, hell, I almost made it on my first try, right?

It ended disastrously. Repeatedly.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So has anyone noticed the hilarious spelling error when you select "Quit Game" from the pause menu?

"Return to Stage Select? You will loose all progress."

:lol :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The existence of that gondola achievement is one of those things that makes me incredibly glad that I don't care one whit about achievements.

I basically made it to the very end on my first try but got killed with the goal in sight. Then I started trying to rush through on subsequent attempts because, hell, I almost made it on my first try, right?

It ended disastrously. Repeatedly.

Exactly what happened to me. I died multiple times when I aced it the first time. Fuck that that guy dropping a car.

You guys make me feel like a wuss then. I had a hard time protecting the
cake from the fire zombies.
so now I'm worried there will be harder parts ahead.

Also, still waiting on an answer to my question on how replaying stages works. I just want to play them on regular mode if possible to clean up SOSs and collectibles, etc.

Completing the Gondola without firing was a pain in the ass, got almost all the "situational" Achievements out of the way.

Well then whats up with the Vikkes QTE on the boat achievement, "Aced Shop Class" (Im assuming that part is before Zed), and the one for getting all the medals on the roof without the building crushing you?

I've seen 2 major glitches so far - the first one was after the wrecking ball section of stage 5, the dialogue kept looping over and over again over itself to the point where the audio was messed up badly.

Second one at the first of stage 4 where I kicked a zombie into the elevator and it went through the wall, making it impossible for me to continue.

Final stage here I go~

Lucent

What, you expect to be able to access internet commerce just anywhere?

Well, in Resident Evil 5 you were able to buy and manage equipment from the main menu after having at least started the game. Though that pretty much broke RE5 because you could just replay levels and stock up on ammo and money and all that. LEON NEVER HAD IT THAT EASY! =x (though, after initially playing through RE4 on normal, I came out of Professional mode with so much eff'n ammo in the end. Having come from the previous RE games where ammo was truly scarce, I learned to really manage my stuff and use it sparingly. I spent a good amount of time in RE4 and RE5 just using the hand gun and knife when I could. lol anyway...)

Also, my copy just came today. Can't wait to try it later tonight with the headphones on. =D

(Got the PS3 version. Please don't let the load times irritate me.)

Well, in Resident Evil 5 you were able to buy and manage equipment from the main menu after having at least started the game. Though that pretty much broke RE5 because you could just replay levels and stock up on ammo and money and all that. LEON NEVER HAD IT THAT EASY! =x (though, after initially playing through RE4 on normal, I came out of Professional mode with so much eff'n ammo in the end. Having come from the previous RE games where ammo was truly scarce, I learned to really manage my stuff and use it sparingly. I spent a good amount of time in RE4 and RE5 just using the hand gun and knife when I could. lol anyway...)

Also, my copy just came today. Can't wait to try it later tonight with the headphones on. =D

(Got the PS3 version. Please don't let the load times irritate me.)

Dude this isnt RE5 and in no way should ever be compared to that piece of shit.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Well, in Resident Evil 5 you were able to buy and manage equipment from the main menu after having at least started the game. Though that pretty much broke RE5 because you could just replay levels and stock up on ammo and money and all that.

As opposed to just replaying levels in Lollipop Chainsaw, reaching a shop and buying stuff, then quitting at the next checkpoint? :p

RE5 wasn't "broken" from having the shop available on the menu screen and it's definitely annoying that the shop isn't available from the overworld map.

I've seen 2 major glitches so far - the first one was after the wrecking ball section of stage 5, the dialogue kept looping over and over again over itself to the point where the audio was messed up badly.

Second one at the first of stage 4 where I kicked a zombie into the elevator and it went through the wall, making it impossible for me to continue.

Final stage here I go~

I also had an audio glitch on stage three- could hear the bus's engine looping endlessly until I got to a point that triggered a cut scene.

Lucent

Dude this isnt RE5 and in no way should ever be compared to that piece of shit.

Sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I was just using it as an example that games have done what the guy was wanting. However, despite RE5 being a POS, I still enjoyed it. And I'm very much looking forward to RE6. Especially the Leon sections.

But I won't derail the thread anymore than I already have with that. I'll be posting my impressions of Lollipop Chainsaw after I've given it some playtime.

As opposed to just replaying levels in Lollipop Chainsaw, reaching a shop and buying stuff, then quitting at the next checkpoint? :p

RE5 wasn't "broken" from having the shop available on the menu screen and it's definitely annoying that the shop isn't available from the overworld map.

I didn't really mean it was broken just because of that. Because you could do that anyway before starting a level. I just meant how the whole save thing works and being able to restock ammo and give people stuff so even in the beginning the game can be overly easy. This wasn't possible in any of the previous RE games. I admit, I don't like where the series has gone entirely, but it was gonna end up this way somehow eventually. They were always trying to make biological weapons and stuff. I always viewed the zombies as a side effect and an accident. That's what experimenting is all about. So I'm not surprised they can use guns and stuff now. Just supposed to be super human.

Okay, I'm really done with it. lol >_<

kunonabi

Sorry. I didn't mean it like that. I was just using it as an example that games have done what the guy was wanting. However, despite RE5 being a POS, I still enjoyed it. And I'm very much looking forward to RE6. Especially the Leon sections.

But I won't derail the thread anymore than I already have with that. I'll be posting my impressions of Lollipop Chainsaw after I've given it some playtime.

I didn't really mean it was broken just because of that. Because you could do that anyway before starting a level. I just meant how the whole save thing works and being able to restock ammo and give people stuff so even in the beginning the game can be overly easy. This wasn't possible in any of the previous RE games. I admit, I don't like where the series has gone entirely, but it was gonna end up this way somehow eventually. They were always trying to make biological weapons and stuff. I always viewed the zombies as a side effect and an accident. That's what experimenting is all about. So I'm not surprised they can use guns and stuff now. Just supposed to be super human.

Okay, I'm really done with it. lol >_<

Zombies were an accident but Umbrella were out to make Tyrants and creatures of that ilk originally. If we were looking for the games to become a natural extension from Umbrella's experiments the games now would be more like Terminator than the shit RE4 and RE5 turned into. RE0 and CV's nonsense wasn't much better.

Oh man this gondola achievement is killing me. It's a total crapshoot and you can't even pull off really tight moves between 2 pieces so you pretty much need a COMPLETELY clear path to advance. Whoever created this achievement needs a good punch in the ear.

To get the "Go, Medal Racer, Go!" achievement, all I had to do was collect all the medals on the roof in Chapter 2. When there's the split at the end, go right through the pink caution signs. Popped as soon as I got to the ship.

To get the "Go, Medal Racer, Go!" achievement, all I had to do was collect all the medals on the roof in Chapter 2. When there's the split at the end, go right through the pink caution signs. Popped as soon as I got to the ship.

Well yeah, we get that part, what's tough is the fact you gotta collect all those yellow cans to maintain speed so that building doesnt crush you. Im gonna try for it tonight.

Also figured out about the "Cheerleader Overboard" cheevo. Apparently during the first stage of the Vikke fight
after hes cut in two and he hops up on the ledge, get to the side of the ship that isnt blocked off and eventually his lower torso will kick you off.

Top Bottom