• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinduct

Facism said:
Has anyone reported this filth, irregardless of whether it's a joke or not? Her twitter paints her as a massive bellend with no morality.

[edit]nm linked and reported to a policeman friend in Kingston.

If anything, hopefully its one less tard on the world =)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Subliminal said:
Grammar School =/= upper class.

Just better than the thickos at the comps.

Absolutely. I hate the criticisms aimed at grammar schools as being exclusively for the rich and out of touch. The elite go to the likes of Eton, not grammars. But that is an aside from the current riots.

ruttyboy

vcassano1 said:
Absolutely. I hate the criticisms aimed at grammar schools as being exclusively for the rich and out of touch. The elite go to the likes of Eton, not grammars. But that is an aside from the current riots.

I think that's because people get confused where the line is between comprehensive/grammar/public schools.

Even after the previous four days it's still making me more angry listening to the simpering MPs in the House of Commons than thinking about what the rioting scum have done.

Just constant repetition of the same vague bollocks, empty promises and outright lies.

rpgb46

ruttyboy said:
I think that's because people get confused where the line is between comprehensive/grammar/public schools.

Even after the previous four days it's still making me more angry listening to the simpering MPs in the House of Commons than thinking about what the rioting scum have done.

Just constant repetition of the same vague bollocks, empty promises and outright lies.

I am of working class and from the north, and have always believed that the divide between the middle and working class is so much more significant than that of the upper and middle classes. I live in a respectable working class community and would defend it from the thuggish cunts in a heartbeat.

There is no way you can get me to believe that these events have been the result of a lack of opportunities for young people.

THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR SMASHING UP YOUR OWN COMMUNITY.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
rpgb46 said:
I am of working class and from the north, and have always believed that the divide between the middle and working class is so much more significant than that of the upper and middle classes. I live in a respectable working class community and would defend it from the thuggish cunts in a heartbeat.

There is no way you can get me to believe that these events have been the result of a lack of opportunities for young people.

THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR SMASHING UP YOUR OWN COMMUNITY.

I don't know why people trying to find reasons behind the depravity keep resorting to tbis "no excuse" nonsense. It is pure ignorance. The vast majority of people trying to look at the root of the problem are not trying to excuse the behaviour and outright condemn it. They are trying to find the reasons why people would act in such a way towards their own local area so that it can be helped in the future.

I can't see how it isn't to do with lack of opportunity. Not because of the impending cuts (though they certainly don't aid it), but because the societythat they (as difficult as it is to generalise) have been raised appears to not care for them, and so why should they care for it? I think they are misguided, to be kind, to think this way, but I do think it is important to find out why they do. Poor parenting, local urban decay and educational failures creating a toxic environment are what I'd say.

ruttyboy

I'm also from the North and my Dad always used to say, "There's only two classes, the working class and those who don't*" :)

However, I think you'd have to modify that now to "There's only three classes, the working class, those who don't because they don't want to and those who don't because they're rich enough not to have to."

* Meaning those who were rich

SmokyDave

Ponti said:
It's funny watching these old men bicker at each other in the Commons. Couldn't be more out of touch.
Funny until you realise that they are the ones with the power and are going to end up making all the same mistakes again.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
SmokyDave said:
Funny until you realise that they are the ones with the power and are going to end up making all the same mistakes again.

Glad scotland has a more down to earth government.

Fuck even Cameron said he's going to use the Scottish anti gang measures.

Jme

Has anyone seen the video of Pauline Pearce (Hackney woman yelling at the rioters to get real)?

http://www.twitvid.com/4JTZH

It's gone pretty viral, but oddly I hadn't seen it here yet (granted I haven't read every single page, but I'm staying pretty much in the loop with this thread)

mokeyjoe

SmokyDave said:

It's when they start blaming rap and video games you know there's no hope.

SmokyDave said:

Watching this really makes you wonder if the political systems in place are the right ones or not. The word Democracy gets thrown around when discussing the governmental systems of Western Society, but it seems that the power is contained in the few, and not the many. Especially after seeing the article posted on the previous page about the best way to react to the killings of three members of a community.

It has been mentioned throughout this thread, and the one prior to this, that Western society has become one of selfishness, greed, gluttony, and consumerism. The 'progress' acheived in Parliament, Congress, etc reflects this. You see more laws passed to benefit or protect big businesses than you see passed to protect our community and each other.

Why werent the military ever brought in to assist? It sounds like the cops were/are seriously outnumbered and never had a chance.
A military presence could have prevented those hit and run murders, couldnt it?

slider

Hoya Destroyer said:
Why werent the military ever brought in to assist? It sounds like the cops were/are seriously outnumbered and never had a chance.

A bunch of Paras with batons? Or any Regiment really. Geez, I dunno how I feel about that but it would have been bloody effective I think.

Military on the streets would be a lot to stomach for certain folk.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Jme said:
Has anyone seen the video of Pauline Pearce (Hackney woman yelling at the rioters to get real)?

http://www.twitvid.com/4JTZH

It's gone pretty viral, but oddly I hadn't seen it here yet (granted I haven't read every single page, but I'm staying pretty much in the loop with this thread)

this has been shown a few times and still massive respect to her... someone interview her: would love to hear her talk about this when she isn't so worked up that would be an imense interview

rpgb46

vcassano1 said:
I don't know why people trying to find reasons behind the depravity keep resorting to tbis "no excuse" nonsense. It is pure ignorance. The vast majority of people trying to look at the root of the problem are not trying to excuse the behaviour and outright condemn it. They are trying to find the reasons why people would act in such a way towards their own local area so that it can be helped in the future.

I can't see how it isn't to do with lack of opportunity. Not because of the impending cuts (though they certainly don't aid it), but because the societythat they (as difficult as it is to generalise) have been raised appears to not care for them, and so why should they care for it? I think they are misguided, to be kind, to think this way, but I do think it is important to find out why they do. Poor parenting, local urban decay and educational failures creating a toxic environment are what I'd say.

I could almost agree with you yet in my community there are plenty of people with very little money and opportunities, it's just the way things are sometimes. And yes, cuts do not help and a lot of my generation do feel neglected. However what we have seen has in no way been proposed as a protest of these things. The disillusionment is obvious, yet a majority of them have completely skewed moral values or no values at all.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
slider said:

The majority of those surveyed by YouGov on the weekend supported the idea. Would have been embarrassing for the govt though.

From bbc:

Radek in London emails: On behalf of all the Polish builders working in London I would like to thank the rioters for creating so much work for restoration of the damages. Thanks to you, the children in Poland will have amazing Christmas!

20110128203738!Trollface.png

Also an interesting article from the Guardian

"Parents are fearful about how they chastise their children," Clasford Stirling, a veteran youth worker, who runs the football club at Broadwater Farm community centre in Tottenham, said. "There's been an erosion of authority for a long time. Parents move very gingerly not to upset their own kids – that's the reality."

Broadwater Farm estate is again at the centre of the unrest in London. Mark Duggan, whose death last week sparked London's riots, was brought up here, and sent one of his sons to Stirling's football classes. On Wednesday, Stirling was making arrangements for his wake.

Struggling to make sense of the violence that has turned buildings on Tottenham High Road into smouldering piles of rubble, Stirling wondered whether weakened parental authority might have something to do with it.

A chorus of establishment voices responded to pictures of school-age children looting late at night by reaching to blame the parents. MPs were urging them to make sure they knew where their children were, David Cameron was talking again about a broken Britain, and London's mayor said adults and teachers needed to be given back the right to impose authority.

Stirling's analysis is more nuanced – citing poverty, unemployment, failings of the education system, police harassment, among other triggers – but he believes parents have become afraid to discipline their own children, and warns this is at least part of the problem that has erupted across cities this week.

slider

MmmSkyscraper said:
The majority of those surveyed by YouGov on the weekend supported the idea. Would have been embarrassing for the govt though.

Interesting, but not surprising I guess. I guess I was talking about a (perhaps imaginary!) extremely liberal but vocal section of society. Heh ho.

slider said:
Interesting, but not surprising I guess. I guess I was talking about a (perhaps imaginary!) extremely liberal but vocal section of society. Heh ho.

300k people in the country that read the Guardian.

Hoya Destroyer said:

Police didn't understand the situation and responded with the wrong tactics. They were responding to something like a political protest when what was going on was a partially coordinated crime spree. Sending in the military could have turned a crisis into a disaster and they were right to try to work out how to solve the problem themselves.

Radek in London emails: On behalf of all the Polish builders working in London I would like to thank the rioters for creating so much work for restoration of the damages. Thanks to you, the children in Poland will have amazing Christmas!

Damn Polish immigrants. Fighting tirelessly to defend London in fighter planes in the battle of Britain and looking forward to helping rebuild London now with unseemly enthusiasm.

entrement said:
Are these cunts still rioting?

No. Too many police, rain and videos of brutality from GMP seem to have kept them out of the cities now.

I am of the opinion is that once police go back home from London the looters will come back. The threat of jail isn't a real deterrent for these cunts.

Also, Dave is a complete cunt for continuing with cuts to police forces. We need the police on our side, give them fucking payrises and more of them full riot training. There are areas in the budget which can make way and are less important spending areas such as overseas aid. While our country burns fuck everyone else.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
zomgbbqftw said:
I am of the opinion is that once police go back home from London the looters will come back. The threat of jail isn't a real deterrent for these cunts.

Nah, I think the inertia is all but gone now, we might see a few die-hards and late comers try a few things but nothing the police now won't clamp down on much more effectively.

slider said:
A bunch of Paras with batons? Or any Regiment really. Geez, I dunno how I feel about that but it would have been bloody effective I think.

Under normal circumstances, I would imagine armed soldiers would make the public uncomfortable but if the alternative if large scale theft, vandalism and even murder, I think alot of citizens would like to see them there. Even if its just to give the Riot Police some extra manpower.
Of course, the politicians might feel its the wrong look for a city hosting the Olympic games soon.

Meus Renaissance said:
When the prime minister, David Cameron, said on Wednesday the riots had brought out "some of the best of Britain", he could not have known how fitting that description would be of events on a petrol station forecourt in the suburb of Birmingham 12 hours later. Spilling out in the road beside the Jet garage, where three Asian men were killed the previous night, around 300 Muslim and Sikh men gathered to debate how they should respond to the tragedy. There were no politicians in sight – no official community spokespeople or religious leaders. These were local men, struggling to know how to manage their grief and anger.

Candles marked the spot where Haroon Jahan, 21, and brothers Shazad Ali, 30 and Abdul Musavir, 31, had been killed in the early hours of Wednesday. The three were part of a group of around 80 guarding the petrol station, on Dudley Road in Winson Green, when they were victims of a hit-and-run. A murder inquiry has been launched, and a 32-year-old man is being questioned. After prayers and a silent vigil, men took turns to express their views. There had been fears that the meeting, held after last prayer of the day – Isha'a – would be a flashpoint, sparking a further round of rioting and looting.

It was clear from snatches of conversation that there were some in the crowd – a minority – who wanted to reap revenge on the black community, whom they held responsible for the deaths. They did not prevail. It is hard to explain how the men gathered in the dark reached the conclusion they did. There was no leader; the forum was open for people to speak and disagree. The consensus among most – after half an hour – was that a planned march should not take place, in part because it would be disrespectful to the families of those who died. Not everyone agreed – and it was impossible to know whether dissenters would break away later in the night and, in breach of the general will, seek retaliation. However community relations in Birmingham play out in the days and weeks to come, the meeting at Dudley Road will serve as evidence of a determination among many not to allow the violence to spiral.

Standing on the wall of the forecourt, one Sikh man, Harpreet Singh, 28, began by imploring others not to take to the streets. He said they had gathered to pay their respects to the deceased and prove they were united. He announced the families of the dead men did not want them to march on the city centre, as had previously been planned. "We need to tell the media we will not tolerate the tyranny, but we will not react either. We are capable, but we will not do it," he said. Singh concluded there were two possible outcomes – either they would protest, and the media would label them "extremists", or they would act "nobly" and be perceived as a community united. He added: "You decide. I will stand with you all the way. I speak to you on behalf of all the Sikhs who were guarding the gurdwaras and mosques yesterday." Some in the crowd, both Muslim and Sikhs, agreed. Others did not, insisting they had come to protest.

"I say peacefully march man," one man shouted. Another said: "Okay, I'm here to do a march, you get me? Let's do a march – but keep it peaceful," said one man, in his 20s. "Yeah, but it won't stay peaceful," interjected someone else. "I know my brothers, it won't stay peaceful." Another voice from the crowd added: "Whoever makes trouble, man, we are going to have to deal with them ourselves. No matter who you are, no matter which area you're from, you are going to get beaten by our elders."

There were some chants of "march, march, march". There was another shout of "not today, not today," followed by "who wants a peaceful march - hands up?". A sizeable number of hands were raised. Many, it seemed, had come expecting a demonstration.

An hour before the debate started, the atmosphere had been highly charged, as groups gathered for silent prayers for the dead men. The crowd consisted mostly of young men, many of whom had hoods pulled over their heads. A small number – five or six - had scarves concealing most of their faces. There were older men too, and some community elders. Police kept a low profile at the edge of the gathering. A few held their hats under their arms as prayers were said. Speaking before the debate about whether to protest began, Shaheen Kayani, 46, a cab driver from nearby Hodge Hill, said the Muslim community was pulling together to prevent trouble. "Everybody says to their sons: please don't start another riot. People don't want trouble any more. I just say we want peace, peace, peace." Some of the younger contingent sniggered as he spoke. They were the same teenagers quietly shaking their heads later, listening on from the fringe of the meeting as the tide of opinion turned against street protest.

Some of them urged a reaction. "They've killed them for free, bro," said one man. Others made racist comments about the looters and suspected murderer. But when a man pointed his finger in the air, shouting: "We are going to protest to let them now how we feel", he was shouted down. The crowd had been building, and was halting the traffic. Police gathered nearer to shepherd people off the road. There appeared to be agreement that any protest should take place on Friday, after prayers. One man who had initially been agitating to take to the streets announced he had had changed his stance.

"I've changed my mind, bro. The way I see, the brothers we can't control." Smaller discussions broke out in the crowd. After more debate, one man stepped forward and shouted with a force that lifted his voice above the murmurs. "Make sure you're not marching in the name of the three brothers that died. Because if you're gonna march ... in their name, and you're rioting, it is a disgrace."

There were grunts of approval. A number of people said they would go home. A handful of the masked youths walked away. Those who remained heard stood in near silence, heads bowed as they listened to Sikh and Muslim prayers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/11/uk-riots-birmingham-muslim-sikhs?CMP=twt_gu

excellent article. reading about mr jahan talking about his youngest is just crushing. i have so much respect for my desi brothers over there keeping a calm head amidst such circumstances. i really hope this sense of reason persists and there arent any stragglers who go off to retaliate on their own. the bolded is funny too only because its so true, heh.

i was worried about my family in southall but it seems like that area is well protected by the local men

btw meus, awesome tag. i just noticed it lol

Salazar said:
Yeah, the "do more with less" bullshit is especially egregious with respect to policing.

It sort of annoyed me when Cameron shot down Tom Watson in the commons when he was straight forwardly representing the views of his constituents who were worried about there not being enough police. Tories are handling this in a way that is too political and a little ugly in my opinion.

Front page of Telegraph, crackdown on face masks and social networking. If kids don't know how to make their own face masks out of household items then education is in a lot poorer shape than I thought.

SteveWD40

Osiris said:
Nah, I think the inertia is all but gone now, we might see a few die-hards and late comers try a few things but nothing the police now won't clamp down on much more effectively.

Yeah, only the gang members don't fear prison / baton charges / rubber bullets, most of the looters were just scrotes who don't want to get beaten up or sent to jail. The police in Londons initial response was due to fear of being scapegoated mostly ala G20, that spurred on the problem but now they have been told "do what you must" and public opinion is with them.

Also, 1400 arrests... that's a shit ton and most from CCTV which chavs were not bothered about as they thought the Police couldn't use it for ID.

Dabanton

I'd rather not have the military put out onto the streets tbh.

Next time their is legitimate protest against something whats to stop the government bringing the army out to 'control' the crowds. They already try as hard as they can to restrict protests giving them more elements for control is not what we need.

Also the MET would never allow it. You may as well scrap them if you're just going to have the military milling about.

What next checkpoints in certain areas.

People need to sit back and think very carefully about what they are suggesting as once that box of worms is open we may find it's hard to put back on.

J Tourettes said:

Haha

Awesome Animals said:
Watching this really makes you wonder if the political systems in place are the right ones or not. The word Democracy gets thrown around when discussing the governmental systems of Western Society, but it seems that the power is contained in the few, and not the many. Especially after seeing the article posted on the previous page about the best way to react to the killings of three members of a community.

It has been mentioned throughout this thread, and the one prior to this, that Western society has become one of selfishness, greed, gluttony, and consumerism. The 'progress' acheived in Parliament, Congress, etc reflects this. You see more laws passed to benefit or protect big businesses than you see passed to protect our community and each other.

No doubt, but it's been this way for centuries. When times get tough, people notice it.

33-Hit-Combo said:
Wtf? Look at the university fees right now. Would fees be upheld in your vision? Or will the rich study and the poor fight?
University fees don't need to be paid until after you leave university and even then it's all dependent on your salary. So this whole "the poor can't afford to go to university because of the fees" thing is complete and utter misinformed bollocks. Not to mention the "poor" get an additional grant in addition to their student loan to help for living expenses etc. And they don't have to pay a penny of their fees back until (or if) they earn over £20k per year.

Monty Mole said:
University fees don't need to be paid until after you leave university and even then it's all dependent on your salary. So this whole "the poor can't afford to go to university because of the fees" thing is complete and utter misinformed bollocks. Not to mention the "poor" get an additional grant in addition to their student loan to help for living expenses etc. And they don't have to pay a penny of their fees back until (or if) they earn over £20k per year.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned university costs as a whole. Accommodation and living expenses aren't cheap. Yes there are bursaries, grants and loans to help supplement it, but in many instances it is not quite enough. Accommodation fees aren't the same nationally and can have a huge effect on annual expenditure.

rpgb46

I'm sorry but you're missing the point entirely. University should be FREE and be harder to qualify. There are far too many people going into higher education, getting into debt and expecting brilliant jobs afterwards.

If university qualification was of a higher standard but completely free, there would be less debt and a higher calibre of graduates.

Prine

Banned
Must say, that Polish swipe made me chuckle... but these renovations should go out to whoever can deliver in a timely and cost effective fashion. Thats Polish by default i think.

Facism said:
Has anyone reported this filth, irregardless of whether it's a joke or not? Her twitter paints her as a massive bellend with no morality.

[edit]nm linked and reported to a policeman friend in Kingston.

Hope you're joking or damn your name perfectly fits you.

You're reporting someone for satire?

rpgb46 said:
I'm sorry but you're missing the point entirely. University should be FREE and be harder to qualify. There are far too many people going into higher education, getting into debt and expecting brilliant jobs afterwards.

If university qualification was of a higher standard but completely free, there would be less debt and a higher calibre of graduates.

However with the UK there are a lot of problems with education prior to higher education, a lot of drop outs before unless things have changed. It is always good to make education more access able to people but pressure doesn't always work for the better as it can encourage dropouts. Higher education should always keep a standard, but it shouldn't be reserved for those only with the best or better grades. I agree that education should always be cheaper and free to access. I speak from a country where University cost for one semester around 50 pounds and it works.

SmokyDave

Prine said:
Must say, that Polish swipe made me chuckle... but these renovations should go out to whoever can deliver in a timely and cost effective fashion. Thats Polish by default i think.
Pisses me off. I know it's a joke but ultimately, it's only going to annoy the idiots that were somehow already blaming the Polish. It's also a bit of a spit in the eye when you think that rather than forcing the rioters to clean up their own mess (saving money and giving them vocational training), we'll be losing money from the economy (assuming they don't spend the money in England and send it home for Xmas).

I thought it was a badly timed jab in poor taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom